• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only Force Awakens set I like is Rey's Speeder... I wish there was something with Ren and Phasma minifigs that was nice.
Ya, if I didn't have the 2012 X-Wing I'd probably like Poe's X-Wing more but after seeing the movie the only set I really want now is Rey's speeder. Not that the other sets don't look good too but they aren't must haves.

guTGHZn.png
the fuck?

Fowler

The only Force Awakens set I like is Rey's Speeder... I wish there was something with Ren and Phasma minifigs that was nice.

Was thinking the same thing and wanted to buy those figs separately. But the going rate for Phasma at my local shop is a staggering US$25... or staggering until I saw the price of Ren, anyway:

US$40!!!!

giphy.gif

3N16MA

Banned
According to cavegod over at Eurobricks a new UCS Millennium Falcon is on its way. He thinks it may arrive in 2016.

I forgot to mention we are filthy enablers here.

Time to add a tiny DISCLAIMER in the thread intro?
"Read thread at your own risk. Posters in thread cannot be held responsible for breaking up relationships, causing bankruptcy, etc."

Star Trek will never get a Lego set huh

Never say never; however, as long as LEGO has Star Wars license, it's a good bet LEGO won't do Star Trek. I'd even guess that it's in the contract for Star Wars license to not do Star Trek specifically.

Oh man, Final Flight of Destiny's Bounty is BRILLIANT. The mechanisms that make the sails and the sidepod things move are so incredible. And it just looks fantastic. And the dragon is awesome too. Just love it.

(There's one on Amazon Warehouse for $92 right now...)

That Ninjago wave is pure gold. I have that set in my huge backlog. May bump it up a few dozen to the top of the list to build.

You can just buy the speeder on S&H, this price spiking doesn't make sense to me.

It's 3rd party sellers. Whenever Amazon stock runs out it shows lowest prices of other sellers. Once the reasonably priced sellers are out, there are usually "scalpers", "resellers", etc that jack up the price for the unwary or the desperate.

According to cavegod over at Eurobricks a new UCS Millennium Falcon is on its way. He thinks it may arrive in 2016.

Since going rate for unopened box is around $5000, MSRP for the new one would sell for around $1000. :)

willp2003

I read that, but that would make 4 rumoured UCS sets for next year, which they've never done. I'd be happy to lose the Hoth one.

Hmm after watching the Jang video, I think I'm gonna get the set with the new Batmobile, it seems like it's a solid enough set. Oh and the Space Avengers jet is so mine.

teeny

Jang's video has sold me on the Avenjet. I really wanted the Thanos big fig anyway to go with my Guardians crew but the ship would look cool next to my other spaceships. It looks like it could be a mutation of a classic space set, too, which helps. :)

teeny

Oh no, 75053 The Ghost has retired! I'm going to need to find one of those somewhere soon!

I'm still gutted about the Sea Cow too :(

Jang's video has sold me on the Avenjet. I really wanted the Thanos big fig anyway to go with my Guardians crew but the ship would look cool next to my other spaceships. It looks like it could be a mutation of a classic space set, too, which helps. :)

Same here, this looks to me at least like one of the better recent Marvel sets... decent to good selection of figs, a somewhat nice looking Jet that also sports a retro look and then of course Big Fig Thanos himself! Will get on a sale for sure now...

Rootbeer

Banned

This is one of the sets I nabbed as Target was unboxing them on Friday, right after I left the theater seeing The Force Awakens.

Quite a cool set! I really love the non Cinematic Universe marvel sets, they tend to have good minifigures.

And yeah, you better believe anytime LEGO is issuing minifigs from the Cosmic section of their universe I will be all over that.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I read that, but that would make 4 rumoured UCS sets for next year, which they've never done. I'd be happy to lose the Hoth one.

The Hoth one will likely never happen, it was probably a mislabeled or misinterpreted database entry for the new Hoth Attack set. If a new UCS Falcon comes I will be very happy. If it is true minifig scale and has full interiors I will gladly pay whatever price they want.

teeny

The Hoth one will likely never happen, it was probably a mislabeled or misinterpreted database entry for the new Hoth Attack set. If a new UCS Falcon comes I will be very happy. If it is true minifig scale and has full interiors I will gladly pay whatever price they want.

I thought there was a lot more to the rumour than just a misinterpretation? I remember there being rumoured details about the structure of the set. Maybe I'm making it up because of how desperately I want it to be true :p

EDIT: Oh, that was a piece of speculation at Brick Set. Maybe your'e right, but I would love an Echo Base set. It's my favourite battle of the saga!

Dunbar

I've been buying and assembling a few reasonably big (1000+ piece) sets over the past couple years, but over Xmas break I decided to give a modular a try so I broke out the Parisian restaurant and got to work. Holy hell, those things are a different animal from any other set I've built. I probably have a solid 10-12 hours spent building already and I'm only through bags 1 and 2. Also probably the most fun I've had building a set though, so I'll have to pick up another set or two.

I thought there was a lot more to the rumour than just a misinterpretation? I remember there being rumoured details about the structure of the set. Maybe I'm making it up because of how desperately I want it to be true :p

EDIT: Oh, that was a piece of speculation at Brick Set. Maybe your'e right, but I would love an Echo Base set. It's my favourite battle of the saga!

I still wonder how they will pull off an UCS scale set from just the Hoth ground troops and not AT-ATs or Snowspeeders.

Looks like I'm a member of the club

3LXnSSb.jpg

Couldn't resist

Welcome! You have just taken your first step into a larger world.

I've been buying and assembling a few reasonably big (1000+ piece) sets over the past couple years, but over Xmas break I decided to give a modular a try so I broke out the Parisian restaurant and got to work. Holy hell, those things are a different animal from any other set I've built. I probably have a solid 10-12 hours spent building already and I'm only through bags 1 and 2. Also probably the most fun I've had building a set though, so I'll have to pick up another set or two.

Oh, modulars are so awesome. The only negative I will tell you about them is that you started with the best of the currently available ones, so everything else (while great) will seem like a step down.

But glad that you love the set.

teeny

I still wonder how they will pull off an UCS scale set from just the Hoth ground troops and not AT-ATs or Snowspeeders.

Good point, but there are a few rooms they could pack detail in to.

Command Center
Hanger
Medical Bay
Private Quarters (Leia's room all melted!)
Tauntaun pen

Plus the outdoor turret outposts, ion cannon, shield generator and battlefield. If they were generous, we could get the Wampa's cave and a probe droid :p

It would be cool if it shipped with some of the microfighters and at least do it to that scale. I know that won't happen though, but I already have three snowspeeders and three AT-ATs :p

This is, quite clearly, a pipe dream.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yeah there are lots of sightings in canada for the new stuff. same thing keeps happening with the star wars action figures from hasbro. they keep hitting a couple weeks early there for whatever reason.

fwiw i bet you can find them in some american stores if you hunt around enough. target and toys r us should be putting these out at any time.

look at people like JANG. he does import stuff sometimes but he also is pretty diligent about hunting for new stuff in his local area and he does a good job at finding things earlier than other people. It pays to get out there and look, as well as talk with the store employees who can help get stuff from the back.

teeny

I saw a bunch in my local Sainsbury's in the UK today, too along with the battlepacks and microfighters that have already been seen elsewhere. I was pretty tempted by Phasma and Kylo Ren. The human characters are still "off" to me.

Rootbeer

Banned
Currently I only own Vader. Kylo I am definitely getting. Phasma is a strong maybe.

I'd like to get Luke and some of the others but I'm hoping these get nice discounts like the Bionicles have.

boltz

It's 3rd party sellers. Whenever Amazon stock runs out it shows lowest prices of other sellers. Once the reasonably priced sellers are out, there are usually "scalpers", "resellers", etc that jack up the price for the unwary or the desperate.

Yeah I see this all the time on Amazon for Legos and Mega bloks as well. Some really crazy prices, I always wonder if people are desperate enough to buy at those prices.

What would yall recommend for parts storage? I was thinking of getting a couple of these
Theyre 20 inches by 16 inches, and the drawers themselves are 4 by 5. So it should fit almost all types lego pieces. I was looking at others but so many of these are super small, im talking less than a foot wide. This seems like the best size. Any thoughts? Something better out there?

What would yall recommend for parts storage? I was thinking of getting a couple of these

Theyre 20 inches by 16 inches, and the drawers themselves are 4 by 5. So it should fit almost all types lego pieces. I was looking at others but so many of these are super small, im talking less than a foot wide. This seems like the best size. Any thoughts? Something better out there?
Those are great for larger bricks or large quantities. See if you can get some with some of the tiny drawers too for smaller bricks. That is just me though.

Those are great for larger bricks or large quantities. See if you can get some with some of the tiny drawers too for smaller bricks. That is just me though.

My 'pile' of lego i need to organize is mostly bionicle and technic stuff. Should have specified that sorry lol, but yeah i have a massive amount of technic pins gears and axels so i might get some of those tiny ones too.

I still have "partial" builds I need to finish. These are sets that did not survive our move intact. The move was 3 years ago, so I really need to step up and finish those sets. Queen Anns Revenge and the Black Pearl are amongst those sets. Those are two of my favorite builds of all time, and iconic when displayed.

Miutsu

How do you people go about storing sets? I saw the storing methods in the OP but what I mean is, do you store the pieces mixed with pieces from other sets and save the booklets so that you can rebuild it in the future if you want?

Experien

How do you people go about storing sets? I saw the storing methods in the OP but what I mean is, do you store the pieces mixed with pieces from other sets and save the booklets so that you can rebuild it in the future if you want?

I'm sure I am not the one to answer but ever since moving in with the gf, I can only have so many sets out. I bought 100 gallon-sized ziplock bags and break down the sets and one in each bag. Obviously biggers ones might take multiples but most of my big ones can stay up.

I have been saving the booklets in an accordian folder but I am thinking of trashing all but the cool/special ones and DLing PDFs of each and just use my iPad for future builds.

ghostmind

It depends on how you use LEGO, and how much space you have available, and how organized you want to be.

If you are a MOC'er, you definitely want to break down most sets and sort the pieces, for use in your future creations. I do a bit of sorting, since I have a modest collection of individual pieces, and I use the sort by type method.

If you are more "build by the instruction" person (such as myself), then the choice becomes breaking down the boxes and keeping the pieces for sets together (as I do with zip-loc bags) or break them down and sort the pieces, so you can be better organized and conserve space.

A further option would be to keep sets in their boxes when not on display, but once you start accumulating sets that becomes increasingly difficult.

EDIT: regarding the instructions, I keep them in a filing cabinet, but as Experien does above, I also download the PDFs for easy reference on my iPad.

teeny

Everything I own I have on display - it's a modest collection. The ziplock bag is going to be the way I go when the inevitable occurs, though.

I finally finished tweaking my display :) The only things not out are the Who and Wall-E sets and the minifig frames.

Everything I own I have on display - it's a modest collection. The ziplock bag is going to be the way I go when the inevitable occurs, though.

I finally finished tweaking my display :) The only things not out are the Who and Wall-E sets and the minifig frames.

I really like how the ships are displayed. What do you have them resting on? Where did you get them?

I have limited space so I use a mixture of strategies: I have maybe 6 bins with adjustable pockets (similar to the Stanley ones in the OP) that I use to generally sort the major element types, but even these are mixed to some degree. There are too many types of elements for me to have a separate everything so I separate more based on what I use the most. For example one big pocket has all the Technic pin sizes because I don't use Technic much. I do use cheese slope-type and other 1x1 and 1x2 greebling pieces a lot so I have several pockets dedicated to separating the different shapes and in some cases also by color.

Those 6 bins are not nearly enough to store all my LEGO so I also have 4 really big bins that store intact sets that have been dismantled into plastic bags. And I have a few random medium bins that have mixed pieces that are somewhat segregated based on what I'm doing. For example, I have the remains of the Vampyr Castle, Helms Deep, and Medieval Market in two medium bins, very loosely separated by piece-type because I'm using them for a MOC.

Miutsu

Alright, thanks for the input guys! I ask because I'm interested in starting collecting some sets here and there but at the same time I enjoy the MOC aspect of lego a lot so I will most likely be mixing things in the future.

Got to take home a Nexo Knights set to build for dsiplay, the Moltar's Lava Smasher. About to build it now since it's a quiet day at my full-time job, I'll report back when I'm done!

Before I even started I decided I'll probably have to buy this set because Moltar is awesome, and all the new pieces.

Edit: I'm not even done building the first Minifigure and already there are so many new parts. Are the trans orange "bolt" pieces for the crossbow new, or just a recolor of something else? Also, of course, the gun to launch them is new too I assume.

The characters seem a little too busy/overdesigned to me but omg all the new parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom