• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

ironmang

I'm almost 100% certain that Thrall has a video specifically on improving squat mobility. Will have to have a look...

Edit - Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvGr7wXQfwE

Ya I watched this before. Maybe I was looking at it wrong. Thought the phases were more of a test to see where I'm at as opposed to a way to improve flexibility. You think I should just replace weighted squats with these and stretches/mobility exercises until it improves? Is it alright if I still do other leg exercises during that time like extensions/curls or will that impede progress?

Not got time to watch it again right now, but as far as I recall they were exercises you are supposed to use until you get the flexibility to do full on squats.

TheFlow

Banned
^^he would most likely win the deadlifting competition my gym is having this friday.

and here I am hoping for a 500 deadlift.

Was feeling super stiff during squats today (day 2, week 4 of Smolov). My right hip flexor has been hurting for a few weeks now, and I finally got it to loosen up by foam rolling on it (RIP - pain was so bad). As soon as that happened, my lower back started to ache. Sometimes you can't win lol

entremet

I heard Layne Norton, writer of the PHAT program, got a really nasty back injury.

Hope he recovers soon. I've always enjoyed his scientific approach.

KillerBEA

Some big lifting going on this weekend. Strongman Corp US Nationals in Iowa, and Big Dogs in Australia. Got some of (if not) the biggest totals in raw powerlifting competing at Big Dogs. Them gonna be some big lifts.

dankir

^^he would most likely win the deadlifting competition my gym is having this friday.

and here I am hoping for a 500 deadlift.

He would win a lot of competition if he wanted to enter. Watch his squat videos, olympic lifts hell he does 730 lb deadlift with no belt or straps.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Looking for a protein powder that is either soya or hemp, any recommendations? (Bonus points if it tastes good/alright)

KillerBEA

Uuuuugh OHP, I was going for 100 yesterday and got 4 of 5 reps on the last fucking set. Oh well, I'll get that shit next time.

OHP is hard. I got 105 for 5 and that was all I could muster. 5 rep max for sure.

Once I am done with my current program I am gonna up the volume on it on the second day that I do OHP.

Uuuuugh OHP, I was going for 100 yesterday and got 4 of 5 reps on the last fucking set. Oh well, I'll get that shit next time.

OHP is hard. I got 105 for 5 and that was all I could muster. 5 rep max for sure.

Once I am done with my current program I am gonna up the volume on it on the second day that I do OHP.

my OHP is poo. been trying to do strict OHP.
also it's week 7 waiting for my second inzer belt. i ordered the red/white/blue double prong belt. hoefully it comes soon.

Wooh... 5x5 90lb deadlift! I'm a fucking machine.

(If I'm honest, it's quite refreshing to go in there and lift weights that I know I can actually lift)

mdsfx

Happy Wednesday. A few things:

1. My brother is still alive and getting better! Thanks for all of the best wishes.
2. I'm now sick as a dog. I blame him.
3. The triathlon swim coach said my freestyle doesn't suck. Compliment of the century right there. He gave me one major pointer and it cut the number of strokes down by 20%.
4. My squat numbers have been going back up with 5x5. Get these chicken legs out of here!

Side note: The coach's first-hand account of the swim leg of Ironman Triathlons was fucking terrifying. It included words like "panic" and "gasping." I'm good, thanks.

bchamba

Happy Wednesday. A few things:

1. My brother is still alive and getting better! Thanks for all of the best wishes.
2. I'm now sick as a dog. I blame him.
3. The triathlon swim coach said my freestyle doesn't suck. Compliment of the century right there. He gave me one major pointer and it cut the number of strokes down by 20%.
4. My squat numbers have been going back up with 5x5. Get these chicken legs out of here!

Side note: The coach's first-hand account of the swim leg of Ironman Triathlons was fucking terrifying. It included words like "panic" and "gasping." I'm good, thanks.

giphy.gif

velociraptor

I really need to get over my fear of excess fat gain during bulking.

I have gained -1kg on my '6 week bulk test'.

Yep, -1kg.

Time to increase calories by another 100-200 per day!

ILoveBish

A tad consistent lately. Did some vanity lifts last night, face pulls, tricep rope pulldown, barbell curls, paused ohp and dumbbell paused bench. Feeling incredible. Hopefully squats tonight and that will be another successful 3/5/1 session under the belt.

sphinx

the piano man
had the best leg day in months but damn leg days are so taxing,

I was dreading every set but kind of in a good way. I was flexible enough for ass-to-grass ROM and muscles were activated. it felt good.

Since I can't go for 5RM sets because my left knee is shit and complains all the time, I've been in the 10R range for a while and it worked out quite well.

3 worksets,176 lbs/80 kg x 10, me being 158 lbs/72 kgs

Szu

Ugh, my back is making a whole bunch of issues. Sometimes, it feels like I should just stay down.

s9Z8tnv.gif

My lower back is still healing, so I'm taking a break from squats and deadlifts. There's a pinched nerve near my neck area that's causing my right arm to feel numb. So, pressing motions are hindered.

Well, the only thing that I can seem to do is biceps. I guess I'll be doing curls for a while.

Let's start building some hurtin bombs.

sBXzatb.gif

Smelling salts. Are they safe? You do them?

A buddy at the gym let me try a whiff. It helped me become more focused on my lift, but nothing crazier than a sip of coffee would do. Of course I only smelled very briefly and from a distance because I was afraid it was some sort of drug that kills brain cells. But apparently it's not?

Oddly enough, a few studies have shown that it didn't make any difference. People do like their placebos though. :)

I like anything that helps me breathe properly when lifting, so I've been known to use an oil vaporiser in my gym. I don't think it's going to help me stick 30lb more on the bar though.

Heysoos

As soon as I settle down my schedule after next week's work trip I think I'm going to start Candito's strength training program again. Had great results last time I ran it.

Ugh, my back is making a whole bunch of issues. Sometimes, it feels like I should just stay down.

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/s9Z8tnv.gif[/img]

My lower back is still healing, so I'm taking a break from squats and deadlifts. There's a pinched nerve near my neck area that's causing my right arm to feel numb. So, pressing motions are hindered.

Well, the only thing that I can seem to do is biceps. I guess I'll be doing curls for a while.

Let's start building some hurtin bombs.

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/sBXzatb.gif[/img]

I did something to my lower back Tuesday night. Or maybe even prior to that, but I started feeling it during squats at the beginning of my workout, and it just got worse from there. I was able to do my whole workout (probably shouldn't have done bent over rows), but the back pain just got worse and worse once I left the gym.

I told myself that today I would just do upper body, like flat bench. But the more I think about it, I'm not even sure I can actually load the bar. Just carrying a laundry basket yesterday was too much. I still want to go to the gym, but what am I left with? Iso, machine exercises?! This is sad.

_Nemo

Hey guys, just came across this thread and I'm looking for help regarding "meal plans" containing specific foods to eat. Thing is I'm scrawny as all hell and it's awful. I don't want to start lifting before I gain some weight as I feel that me being as scrawny as I am, burning more calories through lifting will only be a step backwards. I just wanna gain (healthy) weight I'm really tired of being so skinny.

Height = 6 Feet
Weight = 120 lbs
BMI = 16.3

^ Pathetic stats, I know. Is there any advice for me?

BumRush

Hey guys, just came across this thread and I'm looking for help regarding "meal plans" containing specific foods to eat. Thing is I'm scrawny as all hell and it's awful. I don't want to start lifting before I gain some weight as I feel that me being as scrawny as I am, burning more calories through lifting will only be a step backwards. I just wanna gain (healthy) weight I'm really tired of being so skinny.

Height = 6 Feet
Weight = 120 lbs
BMI = 16.3

You should definitely lift. Do a program like Starting Strength and eat a lot. Hard to suggest what you could eat without knowing what you enjoy.

Edit: also, how many calories do you consume daily, now?

TheFlow

Banned

Height = 6 Feet
Weight = 120 lbs
BMI = 16.3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9zCgPtsups

and eat. eat. and eat. then eat again. none of that empty cheap calories like cheetos and cookies.

ILoveBish

Squats in the first time in weeks it seems. That last rep was a doozy, but I hit 300x1. Still decently strong I guess. I had to yell out in fury on the way up, but damn it felt good.

Guys, whats the general advice on gaining weight doing starting strength and the massive gut it produces? my stomach is getting so bloated, so fast. Is this something that can come from diet, as in will cutting back on milk and changing those calories to solids, help?

Im a skinnyfat guy. tall and lanky, tiny wrists and ankles but the biggest of guts. I feel like if i bulk at this rate ill look like im housing an elephant in my belly.

Sounds like you're just unlucky genetically. How much actual weight are you gaining?

Milk does make some people bloated, so it may be that you can avoid the worst of it by staying away from lactose.

Wolfe

Guys, whats the general advice on gaining weight doing starting strength and the massive gut it produces? my stomach is getting so bloated, so fast. Is this something that can come from diet, as in will cutting back on milk and changing those calories to solids, help?

Im a skinnyfat guy. tall and lanky, tiny wrists and ankles but the biggest of guts. I feel like if i bulk at this rate ill look like im housing an elephant in my belly.

Yeah I dunno dude, never had any issue with "massive gut" while doing SS (as a tall skinny person). I drink at least a half gallon of milk a day most the time too. Maybe try subbing out the milk with other protein rich foods like you suggested above.

ironmang

I'm almost 100% certain that Thrall has a video specifically on improving squat mobility. Will have to have a look...

Edit - Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvGr7wXQfwE

Just want to follow up. Did squats last night (keycard at gym wasn't working for 2 days -_-) and maybe got a little more depth but still not parallel. Then did some goblet squats and was able to hit parallel without too much issue, using a bench that's exactly parallel to make sure I was being honest with myself. Makes sense since I can get low as long as some counter-weight is preventing me from falling backwards. Not sure where to go from here though. Thinking about doing a couple sets of conventional squats and 4-5 sets of goblet squats on leg day as well as daily stretches on my hip flexors and calves until I can hit parallel with the bar on my back without losing balance.

Navi

Honestly Mass Gainer Shakes do it for me. Some are against it and prefer to make their own but someone's who lazy and always on the go and doesn't feel like blending 338922389 things to make the same thing I can buy in the store.

Dymatize Super Mass Gainer is amazing. If milk is an issue use Lactaid milk. Taste the same. Don't bloat or use water but ehhh water made protein shakes taste so yucky to me.

How many calories are you consuming? You need to eat at a surplus but muscle builds slowly and the rest becomes fat so too much excess is bad.

Okay so I'm looking to become vegan and I'm confused. I'm confused because I've been paleo for so long. First thing I see on vegan diet search is to consume whole grains. This really freaks my paleo side out. It feels like the opposite of paleo and I don't know what to think. The idea of consuming wheat again almost scares me.

I looked for a medium between paleo and vegan and it looks pretty good. I just don't know.

I'm so confused with this diet.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/11/07/pegan-paleo-vegan/

ILoveBish

Having guests over so often this week is killing my lifting schedule. I still haven't found time to use my farmer walk handles. Soon.......

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
What new program are you running? Your strength is Marvel-tier right now.

Made my own after everything I've learned. Involves alternating max effort, bands, and chains as well as rep schemes. I also have a strongman and "body building/prehab" day.

I appreciate it, lets just see how sustainable it is, and what result it yields at the meet.

Thanks bud, hope you feel better soon.

I'm fairly certain I couldn't even lift that, let alone move with it.

You might be surprised actually.

Top Bottom