• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2: online Salmon Run only playable during timed events

HoJu

Salmon Run is Splatoon 2's version of horde mode. It can be played locally at any time, or online with friends or randoms during certain times as seen here:
BBBqdHR.png

the game looks great but this is dumb and nintendo should be shamed for locking content behind a timer. it's bad behavior.

Admodieus

This was the mode I was most looking forward to playing with friends and a huge part of why I was getting the game. Going to have to rethink whether or not the game is worth it to me now.

And before anyone says "You can play it locally anytime!" - that's not practical for me or my friends. We don't hang out every day or even every week in person. Playing games over the Internet is what is convenient for us.

I mean, it basically looks like it just changes how they come in and attack on a daily basis. Which is good, because it mixes it up. (From what I'd assume)

You can also do this with friends at any time as they said in the direct.

Edit: ^ That might not be right. My B.

Isn't this just their way of encouraging everyone to try different modes and not just all horde the one mode?

It's all still playable locally whenever you want, so w/e. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Chauzu

This was actually announced during Treehouse Live for those paying attention. It was mostly overlooked since most didn't think that sounded realistic. It sounded very Nintendo tho so I kinda expected it... I'm personally fine with timed modes so no biggie for me, bigger issue is no single player Salmon Run for me.

Wouldn't say it's anti consumer. Dumb but I'll wait and see how it plays out.

That Splatoon team tho, they are pretty weird at times with their online.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, 24 hours every other day is fine by me, although I agree that I'd like the mode to be available always even if it was without any rewards.

I'll live with it.

People need to stop using the word "anti-consumer" for things they're unhappy about or don't agree with.

This may be disappointing and arguably even idiotic, but anti-consumer is a very strong word and the more it gets thrown around the more it loses its meaning.

Neoxon

I mean, it sucks that we can't play it every day. But it being available all day every other day makes it to where it's not that bad.

Renna Hazel

It's nice that the times are all day, but having days where I can't play specific modes is really stupid. This is incredibly annoying.

Dambrosi

Banned
Uuuuuuhm, this is just for the demo, right? It doesn't make sense to lock an entire online mode behind a time gate in the full game. If it is, explanations are needed.

Peléo

Not being able to play it anytime with friends is dissapointing. Not sure what they are trying to accomplish with this.

I feel like the OP might have some kind of agenda here...thanks for the info though. I wouldn't call this anti consumer.

I rarely hear or say that something is "anti-consumer" in my daily life, but on Gaf it gets thrown around on a goddamn daily basis. Stop it.

Getting back on topic: I wish the mode was available 24/7 but the screenshot only shows a period of two days during which the mode isn't available. I'm glad it's not the opposite with only two days of availability.

Edit: I missed that there's a gap between days. Still not super offended by this but I'm curious as to why they didn't make it 24/7 with rotating weapons/maps.

rhandino

Banned
Anti-consumer? Really?

Like it's kind of dumb but I am trying to see any angle in which restricting a mode is anti-consumer and I cant find it.

phanphare

Banned
it's anti-consumer. this is not hyperbole.

kind of sounds like hyperbole

you probably shouldn't have derailed your own thread in the OP because this does deserve discussion because it's fucked

but anti-consumer? lol, let's bring it back a little

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Most people will play PVP. They probably did that so a lot of people will play PVE when they get the chance?

Can't think of another reason.

Galang

Banned
I don't understand the problem. Many multiplayer oriented games use a similar timed system like this for certain modes. Play another mode, another game, go outside, go on a date? Seems like complaining just for the sake of it.

ryechu

Uuuuuuhm, this is just for the demo, right? It doesn't make sense to lock an entire online mode behind a time gate in the full game. If it is, explanations are needed.

It's not for the demo. It looks like its going to be every other day events where you have to go with a certain weapon composition. They will likely cycle out different maps and weapons.

Lot of other online games do events, to maintain interest in those modes, which typically drop off after a while. It's not like it's actually braindead design. You can complain about it and say its stupid, but don't pretend like there are zero pros to this method. There are always pros and cons.

watershed

Banned
Also because no one is gonna bother to read: SALMON RUN MODE IS AVAILABLE FOR 24 HOURS, EVERY OTHER DAY. Just to be clear. I still think it's a silly limitation and a design decision I don't understand, but it's not that bad in practical terms.

Bluth54

Limiting modes (and maps) to certain times is really stupid. It was stupid in Splatoon 1 and it's going to be stupid here. Other Nintendo online games don't even do it.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'll play the shit out of it when it's available, but it should be available all the time. Pretty disappointing.

Though to be fair, it lasts 24 hours and seems like it's active more days than not. Makes it all the more confusing that they don't run it all the time though.

Top Bottom