• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Ben

Banned
I actually laughed when the hydra burst out of the stage and knocked captain qwark off the world. Looks like fun!

Like the guys on Gametrailers said, not having death from being knocked off the stage or from environmental hazards removes a lot of the tension from the game. Only getting points from supers was the first thing that really made me double take in a bad way and hearing them say that validates my concern. The stage hazards and items mean nothing if your super is all that matters. I really hope they backtrack on that decision and add points for getting blasted off the stage.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So they are just playing niceto hide all their deep dark hated of the game.
Not necessarily. The enthusiast press is caught in a bad place when they are being shown a preview build of a game. They will usually talk up the positives because being very negative towards an unfinished product is not fair.

And this is doubly true for the ones that are there at embargo time. I think the outlets that haven't commented on the game yet but will do so next week will be in general be more negative. This is also true for reviews.

Lyonaz

So what 3rd party characters are people hoping for?

Capcom should just troll every Mega Man fan and put the original Mega Man and his X variant in.
Obviously Cloud and Sephiroth from SE.
Sonic and Shenmue guy from Sega.
Big Boss and Frank "Ninja" Yaeger from KojiPro.

Alas it would never happen.

Like the guys on Gametrailers said, not having death from being knocked off the stage or from environmental hazards removes a lot of the tension from the game. Only getting points from supers was the first thing that really made me double take in a bad way and hearing them say that validates my concern. The stage hazards and items mean nothing if your super is all that matters. I really hope they backtrack on that decision and add points for getting blasted off the stage.

In some of the video you can see them get knocked off the stage and into the water and a giant fish swims out to eat them so they have limited time to get back on. The tension is there its just not automatic death if you get knocked off.

BiggNife

Looks like a pretty blatant ripoff to me, and as others have said, having lifebars seem like a bad idea.

Having said that, if this game lets you play as a Nissan Skyline I will buy it.

This looks rather underwhelming. I think it's quite clear you can see the game is heavily influenced by one particular Nintendo franchise, and in that sense it looks like it's trying to just be a carbon copy of it. There are some different mechanics to be sure, but the entire outline to the game looks as if they took Smash Bros and tried to put a Sony spin it.

What I find underwhelming is it all just looks so boring. Perhaps this is because Sony has a rather weak catalog of standout characters and worlds, despite almost all of the franchises represented in the game so far to be from quality games.

Ridiculous sentiment. Sony has plenty of standout characters. They may not be gaming icons, but they certainly aren't boring.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Not necessarily. The enthusiast press is caught in a bad place when they are being shown a preview build of a game. They will usually talk up the positives because being very negative towards an unfinished product is not fair.

And here I was thinking that critical analysis was the path to excellent products.

Fezan

So, yes, it's Super Smash Bros. for the PlayStation generation. And why not? "We're fans of fighting games - it's not something we shy away from," says Omar Kendall, game director of mouthful-of-a-title PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

CrisKre

When did I say it wasn't a rip-off? It obviously is. Although I appreciate being attacked by both sides, it makes me feel fair and balanced.

Sony probably would've made this game anyway, but Nintendo does a lot of self-sabotaging by creating demand for a "similar but better" product. Not that this will be "better," but it'll sure satisfy some customers urges for things like online or looking good on a plasma.

Im not attacking. Friendly argument. ;)

Im pointing out to you that nintendo is responsible for this like you say. But for no other reason than making Smash such a huge success. I personally think this is pretty shameless, like I stated before, and it seems a little odd to me and rubs me the wrong way. I like sony when it pushes out something like Journey. This is just.... wrong.

neoanarch

wow shocking. I mean I'm looking at gameplay videos and there isn't a single part that doesn't look ripped from Smash Bros. If Sony wasn't attached to this gaf would have pitchfork and torches ready to tear down the unknown developers door.

Jintor

I have to say, the death animation is nowhere near as satisfying as knocking someone off the arena with that beautiful satisfying BAMF from off-screen

Im not attacking. Friendly argument. ;)

Im pointing out to you that nintendo is responsible for this like you say. But for no other reason than making Smash such a huge success. I personally think this is pretty shameless, like I stated before, and it seems a little odd to me and rubs me the wrong way. I like sony when it pushes out something like Journey. This is just.... wrong.

Fair enough. But my entire argument can be boiled down to this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37338888&postcount=208

zroid

Banned
Man, I'm watching this GT video and all I hear is them explain why it's not like Smash Bros., while I see footage of the game that looks exactly like Smash Bros. It's really bizarre.

I think I'm going to have to play it myself to understand fully how the feel of the game differs.

Even the Super meter mechanic just makes me think it's an alternate take on the damage infliction system of SSB; the only real difference is instead of hurting your opponents, which makes it easier to KO them, you increase your meter... which makes it easier to KO them. Except for some conceptual differences, I feel like it will play very similarly because of this.

Well, whatever it is, the game looks good. At the end of the day, I don't care how much of a clone it feels like.

I actually wish it was more like Brawl, the mechanics seem a lot different (from all the impressions). It's going to be weird not having the Screen out ability...

And I don't get the UI comparisons. Because it has P1 ect? The UI is not final (they are even looking for UI designers currently).

gillFTR

The Wii was my entry system to this generation mostly because when they announced Smash for Wii they said it would have online, got it day one played online(if thats what you can even call it). I've gotten older and a lot of my friends have moved, So when this game was rumoured I was super happy I could finally get to play a Smash games online with some friends and enjoy the same great gameplay from my younger days. At the end of the day I don't see why people are angry. Personally I was looking for a smash clone from this game, thats what I want Smash games were great fun.

so... when did Fat Princess become a Playstation iconic character?

I guess she snuck in, like Captain Falcon did.

Anyway! This game does look pretty solid. It could definitely go for some touch-ups, and PaRappa sounds like an awful character to play against (his new design is pretty shit too), but other than that, I could see this being legit.

Liberty4all

Banned
oh you think this is the first clone lol? poor thing

As kyon mentioned a few posts ago:

From the Eurogamer article. For the people saying the devs don't acknowledge Smash and the genre.

Quote:
"We're taking the best of what the genre has delivered over its storied history and we're adding our take on it as well," Kendall adds. "We're proud to exist in the same space as these games. We don't mind [the comparisons] at all - our game has a very unique and interesting gameplay feel to it."
Such class.

The game is part of an emerging genre. One originally created by Smash Bros.

Based on multiple previews in the OP the game plays out differently from Smash Bros. ... So no I don't think PASBR is a clone. I do think PASBR is the first game that will give Smash Bros. a run for it's money in the genre Smash Bros created.

Competition is good!

In some of the video you can see them get knocked off the stage and into the water and a giant fish swims out to eat them so they have limited time to get back on. The tension is there its just not automatic death if you get knocked off.

But does that fish even kill you, or does it just take away AP? And even then it's still not really an inconvenience in the big picture for a character like Fat Princess who they say has a great Level 1 Super. IDK, it feels like they cloned up to a point but backed away from "knocked off the screen" KO's just because. That's a huge part of the game they're taking inspiration from.

Ravage

Like solid snake and sonic ?

Actually i'm just excited at the prospect of fighting Cloud, Lightning, Kiryu Kazuma, Lara Croft, Dante and various other 3rd party characters using Kratos.

Battle Royale sports a different roster that could appeal to gamers who feel indifferent to SmashBros, what's there not to get?

I gotta say, this is almost Gameloft levels of shameless, but then again, more Smash Bros like Games is definetly a good thing. People should enjoy this game if they liked the idea of Smash Bros but are afraid of being called out as kiddy. Just add a little more colour and saturation.

On another note:
I wonder how ridiculous the reception of Sony All Stars Battle Royale 2 Monster Brawl is going to be. Can't wait for mods to restore the physics and exploits from the first game^^

Looks cool not liking the idea of mixing different franchises in the same stage.

I dunno. I think that "stage crossovers" is pretty damn cool. For one, you can pack in a lot more nods to a lot more series. And besides, it makes thematic sense, doesn't it? It's basically saying that the crossing over isn't just happening with your four characters, but with the whole game. That's one thing that this game seems to do pretty well to set it apart from Smash, at first glance.

Maxrunner

This looks rather underwhelming. I think it's quite clear you can see the game is heavily influenced by one particular Nintendo franchise, and in that sense it looks like it's trying to just be a carbon copy of it. There are some different mechanics to be sure, but the entire outline to the game looks as if they took Smash Bros and tried to put a Sony spin it.

What I find underwhelming is it all just looks so boring. Perhaps this is because Sony has a rather weak catalog of standout characters and worlds, despite almost all of the franchises represented in the game so far to be from quality games.

I agree, generic guy from Killzone and Kratos....im just trying to understand whats the point of this, the characters have zero charisma...heck is that the clown guy from twisted metal really???Also Parappa doesnt seem to blend at all, its like a cardboard...

Battle Royale sports a different roster that could appeal to gamers who feel indifferent to SmashBros, what's there not to get?

To me, gamers care about gameplay. If you want a Sony game that plays like Smash Bros but you don't want to play Smash Bros, you're not actually a fan of games. You're a fan of platforms.

But does that fish even kill you, or does it just take away AP? And even then it's still not really an inconvenience in the big picture for a character like Fat Princess who they say has a great Level 1 Super. IDK, it feels like they cloned up to a point but backed away from "knocked off the screen" KO's just because. That's a huge part of the game they're taking inspiration from.

Im not sure what you mean, if it kills you it takes a KO away which then means you fall behind other players. It's kind of hard to tell anything balance wise from 6 characters of what is inevitably going to be a much larger roster.

Not having knocked off the screen stuff can be seen as a negative or a positive. Some people don't like that part of Smash bros and thinks it cheapens the experience. Either way It's waaaaay to early to tell and kind of weird that its both to much like smash bros and to little like smash bros so far lol.

Le-mo

The stage hazards and items takes away your AP.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I agree with your statement. Now show me how my statement is incompatible with your statement.

Sugar coating words, regardless of a game's incomplete values or not, should not be given a free pass "just because they are gaming press." If a game looks like shit, it should be pointed out that fact so the developers can work their magic to make it appear better. If a battle system doesn't feel right, or a niggling issue is causing the player to experience a brain aneurysm, then there needs to be something said.

If anything the time to state a game's inconveniences should be during the development, rather than after and hoping against hope that they will patch it down the road. Unfortunately most journalists seem to lack a spine to say, "hey this game doesn't feel as fluid as I would like, how about fixing this and that up?" because of the way the industry works within.

pramath

Banned
The meltdown here is beautiful.
Anyway, looks like a shameless rip off, but I'm not complaining. I'm looking forward to it, if only because I love Super Smash Bros., and one can never have too much Super Smash Bros.

Glass Rebel

Bamelin said:
The game is part of an emerging genre. One originally created by Smash Bros.

Based on multiple previews in the OP the game plays out differently from Smash Bros. ... So no I don't think it's a clone. I do think it's the first game that will give Smash Bros. a run or it's money in the genre it created.

Competition is good!

If you want to call it a genre, alright. I personally disagree since it features many other elements integral to the Smash Bros. experience but okay.

The "issue" here is that it's got the exact same premise: 4 player platform fighting game featuring characters from different franchises. That's really specific, don't you agree?

People shouldn't be surprised that Sony/Superbot are getting shit for this.

I guess she snuck in, like Captain Falcon did.

hmmm....

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well -- I guess someone, somewhere, thought this was a -- uh -- a good -- a good... idea?

Not to be the graphics-whore but why does it look so bad?
Art style (imo a bit bland) is one thing, but this should rock some eye-popping stuff, even with 60fps.

I like what they are doing with the interactive themed stages though.

gillFTR

The meltdown here is beautiful.
Anyway, looks like a shameless rip off, but I'm not complaining. I'm looking forward to it, if only because I love Super Smash Bros., and one can never have too much Super Smash Bros.

I feel the exact sameway, I don't get why some are so bitter.

I agree, generic guy from Killzone and Kratos....im just trying to understand whats the point of this, the characters have zero charisma...heck is that the clown guy from twisted metal really???Also Parappa doesnt seem to blend at all, its like a cardboard...

Are you implying that Sweet Tooth has no visual flare, characterization, or appeal?

Additionally, it's not really fair to categorize Kratos as a "Generic guy". More or less, his kind of character was popularized by him. Do you think that being generic is only unacceptable if it's generic realistic fantasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom