• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaton Rainfall |OT| Superman Simulator 2017

p8vwkoTl.jpg

$15.99, PS4/PSVR
Launch trailer

Megaton Rainfall is a first-person superhero game. A global alien invasion is taking place and you must face it – alone. Chase massive destruction devices at supersonic speeds around an Earth that's as large as the real thing and populated with semi-procedurally generated cities.

Then finish off the alien devices with your lethal energy blasts. Just be careful to avoid human casualties! You are so powerful, you'll leave a trail of collapsed buildings if you miss your targets!

Feel unprecedented freedom of movement as you fly through buildings, break the sound barrier, and accelerate to extraordinary speeds. Then rise above the atmosphere, circumnavigate the Earth in seconds, and get ready for your next battle. 'Megaton Rainfall' is the ultimate superhero experience!

wQKmlL6.gif

Oops...

Sho Nuff

Banned
Let me weigh in. This game is fuckin bananas. It's basically EDF + Eagle Flight. Does amazing things with LOD'ing; whoever made this had their shit together. Haven't gotten far but it's a riot, make sure you turn off the comfort settings (except for camera shake -- bloooorg).

Only complaint is it's a little hard so far to figure out where you are on the Earth.

Het_Nkik

This looks amazing. Will definitely check it out when I hook my PSVR back up and clear out all the VR games I already bough but haven't played.

Dualshock 4 only controls for VR are disappointing especially with the fact that hands are present :[ Still might pick it up once it hits Steam for the flying alone.

Awesome! I thought it was VR only. Any impressions? Good performance?
It's essentially an arcade shooter. 3D Space Invaders but an insane scale. You're indestructable but the city is not, so speed and precision is key to not reducing the world to rubble while trying to save it. The enemies are quite varied and while they all are defeated through finding and shooting their weak spot, the variety in their movement and functions makes each one, and different combinations of them, feel like a decent challenge.

But the draw is the scope and spectacle and sense of power and chaos, and Megaton pulls that off excellently

Have only played for an hour so far, but it's a lot of fun. Can't comment much on performance, seems fine to me. But I'm not the best person to ask about technical aspects

I'm so buying this. The developer mentioned 4 hour average playtime. This is fine for the price. I do hope that they add more content to this game. It definitely is a huge technical achievement. It would be awesome if they allowed for mods on PC. A Superman mod would be perfect.

Wow looks awesome surprised hadnt heard of before now. Probably amazing in VR.

Steam page for it is Q4 2017 but no mention of Oculus Rift or Vive, hopefully they do release VR for PC since that would be amazing to experience (have PC VR but not a PSVR)

Wow looks awesome surprised hadnt heard of before now. Probably amazing in VR.

Steam page for it is Q4 2017 but no mention of Oculus Rift or Vive, hopefully they do release VR for PC since that would be amazing to experience (have PC VR but not a PSVR)

I'm thinking that there is some exclusivity window for PSVR right now. The developer mentioned that they want to do it and the old demos in fact had VR support for PC. However, they are forbidden to talk about it currently by Sony. I hope it's not like RE7 where it's one year.

http://wccftech.com/megaton-rainfall-interview-real-sized-earth-save/

On PC, are you going to support both Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (Steam VR)?
I can't answer that question due to the contract with Sony. But I can say that I'd love to support both.

spad3

Bought. Can't wait to try this on my PSVR
and barf like a mofo after experience epic motion sickness BUT WHO CARES, SUPERHERO POWA

Danneee

I’ll just copy my impressions from the other thread here:

I’ve been playing this for a couple of days and I like it. Though it really feels like a mid to late 90s PC game and I’m having the same dumb fun wit it as I had with games like Sim Copter.
It’s kind of buggy, unpolished and I’m not totally a fan of the population kills being your life meter (though I understand why, it just takes away a lot of the sandboxy destruction and havoc you can wreck if the game resets at the last checkpoint just because you blew up a whole city).
The destruction is good, not Red Faction good but good enough, terrain deformation is pretty 90s looking too but there’s not a lot of games featuring that now to compare it with. It’s not the best looking game and in a lot of places down right ugly but the scale makes up for it and I’m not that far in, just got the ability
to zoom around to other planets.
Combat have this puzzle kind of angle where a lot of enemies can be killed with one hit in the right spot and every miss results civilian losses so you can’t just fire away.

I’d say it’s worth €15. Totally so if you’re playing it with a PSVR, I got rid of mine but this game makes me regret it.

Edit: maybe a bunch of stuff changes after a day one patch or something, I don’t know. All this is based on the version I’ve played on PS4 Pro.

KORNdoggy

I’ll just copy my impressions from the other thread here:

I’ve been playing this for a couple of days and I like it. Though it really feels like a mid to late 90s PC game and I’m having the same dumb fun wit it as I had with games like Sim Copter.
It’s kind of buggy, unpolished and I’m not totally a fan of the population kills being your life meter (though I understand why, it just takes away a lot of the sandboxy destruction and havoc you can wreck if the game resets at the last checkpoint just because you blew up a whole city).
The destruction is good, not Red Faction good but good enough, terrain deformation is pretty 90s looking too but there’s not a lot of games featuring that now to compare it with. It’s not the best looking game and in a lot of places down right ugly but the scale makes up for it and I’m not that far in, just got the ability
to zoom around to other planets.
Combat have this puzzle kind of angle where a lot of enemies can be killed with one hit in the right spot and every miss results civilian losses so you can’t just fire away.

I’d say it’s worth €15. Totally so if you’re playing it with a PSVR, I got rid of mine but this game makes me regret it.

Edit: maybe a bunch of stuff changes after a day one patch or something, I don’t know. All this is based on the version I’ve played on PS4 Pro.

You're playing it without VR? man, i think this game is like thumper and polybius for me where its just a little bit pointless without VR.

majik13

bought and downloaded, cant wait to play in VR, I for sure thought this game was too good to be true, and would likely be vaporware. Good on the dev for making this a reality. Wonder how much Sony helped out in the final stretch.

Not gonna pick this up until move support is patched in

How would it work with Move support? You don't do anything with your hands really but you certainly have to fly around quickly.

When you turn on -look to turn- it puts blinders on whether you turn them off or not. Also, it imposed blinders when passing a building in a city whether you turn them off in settings or not.

I'd like this to be my choice.

How would it work with Move support? You don't do anything with your hands really but you certainly have to fly around quickly.

I haven't played it yet so I can't really see the controller layout but I imagine you could shoot/aim with your right hand. Left hand orientation and touchpad/thumbstick would control direction of flight. Looks like there might be a flight boost so put that on left hand trigger or grip.

majik13

How much of Earth is accessible and how much of it is accurate?

land mass might be accurate, like I think there are those man made Dubai islands and such(like in the GIF in the OP), but I dont think all cities are accurate, maybe major ones have some landmarks?, but I have no idea. But otherwise I think its mostly procedural. And again, Im not even certain on land mass being completely accurate

havent played it, but Id guess move support would allow for independent aiming for powers and projectiles? Movement/locomotion would be compromised however, but doable.

Anyone know what the latest info is on Move support?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
If it wasn't for this thread, I'd have never heard of the game

Same, and now I want to play this game like RIGHT NOW.

It's super impressive.

Edit : well seems he's not alone, still impressive as hell.

Well I certainly hope there is a way to implement Move support but having played it for a few hours today it didn't seem like it would work at all to me. It's very frantic in terms of looking all around you and getting precise hits on red spots at various locations on different enemies bodies which continually dodge to avoid your aim.

It seems like they'd have to slow down the gameplay considerably. I'm interested to see what they have in mind as I recall (perhaps incorrectly) that they were looking into Move support. Moving your on screen hands isn't a focus in the gameplay at all.

I want to buy this game just to fly around. I hope it comes to Steam/Oculus Home. This makes me wish they would add this type of Superman flying into Google Earth, haha.

edit: also loving the soundtrack (or the pieces that I heard).

I want to buy this game just to fly around. I hope it comes to Steam/Oculus Home. This makes me wish they would add this type of Superman flying into Google Earth, haha.

edit: also loving the soundtrack (or the pieces that I heard).

I was lamenting the absence of Google Earth on PSVR the other day but after playing this I think you should absolutely be able to fly around Google Earth similarly.

Rayderism

No PSVR for me, since I'm blind in one eye, but I'm definitely going to get this game. Looks like the kind of crazy fun I prefer in my games.

low-G

VR actually works really well with monocular vision from accounts I've heard about.

Yep have a personal aquantence. Seems to impress even more than those of us with stereoscopic vision for some reason, and anecdotal evidence stating the same from a non-aquanintence.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just got to mission 5. Had a bug of sorts (or maybe I just stink) and couldn't located the next enemy in an area.

Quick thoughts:
  • While I dig the original soundtrack, I can't stop playing the Man of Steel score. It works too well.
  • The ambient sound while hovering is too loud in the PSVR headset. It needs to be mixed down a few dB relative to the rest of the sound.
  • I want dual Move support for this yesterday. I wonder how this is going to be implemented... steering? Powers? Purely to puppet the hands? Anything to make the game more immersive would be a big plus for me.
  • I really appreciate the game's smart throttling of my speed. It scales traversal speed appropriately and always seems to know when I want to move quicker/slower.
  • I'd love a melee attack but I understand why they weren't included in the core design. They'd have likely turned the game into a puke machine.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anyone have an idea for how long this game is?

Top Bottom