• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List your top 3 fighting games!

1) SF4
2) MVC2
3) Tie: Tekken Tag 1 and Project Justice

SF4 was the first time I was able to play against people on a regular basis. It didn't cost $0.50 a pop, I had a job, and it didn't rely on the dead arcade scene magically being vibrant somehow.

kunonabi

Vampire Savior
VF4: Final Tuned
Street Fighter Alpha 2

Real Bout Fatal Fury 2, Arcana Heart, KoF2k2 would also be close behind.

GGAC+ or Rev2 would be up there if i had the patience for them.

zenspider

Ha, fighting games really aren't my favourite genre so it's generally been games that are a little different to the mainstream that I've enjoyed.

Bushido Blade was an absolutely incredible game that just made so much sense to me. I didn't get on as well with the second game because although they added new "stuff" to the game I don't think it really improved on anything that was already there for me.

It's similar with Tobal 2 although this time it was the first game that didn't really do a lot for me, the second game just blew me away though and it looked incredible as it ran in the high res mode and use Gouraud shading which looked ridiculously good.

I know it's not the same but in some ways Tobal 2 exists in the same ball park as Virtua Fighter. There's a certain elegance to the that runs through the three that I picked which means they make more sense to me for some reason.

I've only briefly tried it and it's a very different type of game but there is a touch of Bushido Blade in For Honor.

I've no idea, I'd be surprised if there wasn't but I've not played it since the PS1 days.

Totally forgot about Bushido Blade. I feel shame.

It's too bad Bushido Blade 2 was a mis-step and the franchise never recovered. It had a better roster and more uniqueness to each character (I think?), but the oversimplified combat was not nearly as good.

jeemer

i mashed my way through a handful of fighting games growing up, but only got into them properly with sf4.

1. umvc3
2. ssfiv (pre-ae)
3. xrd

Isn’t skullgirls objectively the deepest 2d fighting game like virtua fighter is to 3d?

I don't think either of these are true, actually. (I like both games quite a bit, understand.)

I suppose it depends on how you measure depth, but realistically you're probably talking complexity. Virtua Fighter is quite simple -- that's a good thing! -- and while Skullgirls has individually complex characters it's still a relatively small cast. I think to master something like Tekken Tag Tournament 2 would take considerably longer, just because there's so many match-ups and moves to learn.

I'd choose Virtua Fighter or Skullgirls any day of the week over TTT2, partially because they are simpler games to learn.

But if you have a different, better way to define depth I'd love to hear it.

1. Samurai Showdown II
2. Mortal Kombat 2
3. Super Street Fighter 2

Honorable Mentions:

-Fatal Fury 2 Special
-TMNT Tournament Fighter (SNES)
-Marvel VS Capcom 2

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
1. Smash Bros Brawl. GameCube
2. Original Mortal Kombat - Sega Gensis
3. Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD PSN

Sojiro

1. Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Still my favorite Street Fighter, balance be damned. Has an awesome SP mode with World Tour Mode.

2. Smash 4 - I know for a lot of people here it will be Melee, but for me I much prefer Smash 4. Huge roster, with some really awesome characters (like Megaman, Bayonetta, and Cloud).

3. Tekken 3 - The last Tekken I have put a lot of time into. Fairly large roster, great sound track (from what I remember at least) good amount of modes, and by god beach ball mode was tons of fun.

Honorable Mentions:

Soul Calibur 2
Virtua Fighter 4
Tobal No. 1 (I haven't played 2, despite the acclaim I see from it on here)
Killer Instinct Gold

What's the problem with UM? Im actually asking because I've only played the UM version and it was fun to me.

I prefer UM's gameplay, but the original has a more appealing, cohesive art-style. The stages are mostly really bad in UM, using that newer fighting game thing with jarring spectator sprites drawn at a totally different style and resolution than the stage itself.

There's also a new soundtrack, so I could see people preferring the original.

Depending on what version of UM you own it might include the original version too, if so you should give it a spin sometime to see the difference.

-hadouken

1. Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting
3. Garou MOTW
2. Soulcalibur II

3. Killer Instinct (SNES)

You'd prefer the SNES port of KI to the full fat arcade version? Imagine how good Donkey Kong Country could have looked on that arcade board!

UsDl7wx.png

1. Super Street Fighter II Championship Edition
What's that?

kingbean

I prefer UM's gameplay, but the original has a more appealing, cohesive art-style. The stages are mostly really bad in UM, using that newer fighting game thing with jarring spectator sprites drawn at a totally different style and resolution than the stage itself.

There's also a new soundtrack, so I could see people preferring the original.

Depending on what version of UM you own it might include the original version too, if so you should give it a spin sometime to see the difference.

Yeah I recall the beach stage looking kinda out of place.

I think I just prefer 98UM to be honest, but I do like K' and the playable bosses.

1. King of Fighters 14. Seems this is an unpopular choice but I really think it's the best, they nailed all aspects of the gameplay for all types of players, included a stack of characters and stages, and it's just got some of the most fun mechanics to mess around with. And i don't care what anyone else thinks, it looks good too!

2. Street Fighter Alpha 2. Not that I dislike SFA3 (i love it) but I don't think it made 2 obsolete like most sequels do, it's just different, and i prefer 2's simpler mechanics despite the comparative lack of characters.

3. Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution. A touch choice because gameplay wise i can waver between 4 and 5 quite easily. But specifically, the PS2 game has the better training and quest stuff that makes it the better game to play on console. Bonus, also has the greatest fighting game box art of all time.m At least as far as 3d renders go!

Honoroable mention to:
- DOA5, a very easy to jump into game that still looks fantastic. Played heaps on Vita and PS4. Also don't find the AI too cheaty even on the higher settings, which is a bonus/rarity.
- Garou or Real Bout Special are up there for my favourite FFs. Simple and fun to play no matter how deep you take them, with great visuals and audio.
- KoF 98. The first game that really did it for me in the KoF series. Just had everything looking, feeling and sounding right.
- SF3, the whole series. I enjoyed it right from New Generation. Super Cancel was my favourite improvement tho i guess credit to that should go to SF EX maybe?
- MK2. Couldn't really exclude this given how long I must have played it back when i was a kid!

Spy

1. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee
3. Soul Calibur 2

Street Fighter and Smash Bros. could alternate with each other on any given day.

TheFawz

1 - Killer Instinct (2013)
2 - Garou: Mark of the Wolves (1999)
3 - The King of Fighters XIII (2010)

I fully expect Dragon Ball FighterZ to take that 3rd spot based on the BETA and recently announced Roster.

Kenaras

1) Dead or Alive 3
2) Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution
3) SoulCalibur II

I've never been able to figure out 2D fighting games; not sure why.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
KoF 98
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Street Fighter II: Championship Edition (you gotta love that lag)

What's the problem with UM? Im actually asking because I've only played the UM version and it was fun to me.

nothing wrong with it on casual level, other than that I would have to write paragraphs. It's not a bad game, just not as good as OG 2k2 for competitive play, not just the gameplay has problems, but also some other areas with the graphical decisions (backgrounds).

Top Bottom