• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GAF POP |OT| of Diversity, Hidden Talent, and Stan Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
20110824-nhcgadn7mq25tbwqk4f9djnhpq.png

Created by: Crumpet Trumpet, Koodo, Sai-kun
Banners and Graphics by: Koodo

WELCOME. HAVE A SEAT.

The POP Music |OT| brings you an opportunity to look beyond Top 40 and discover talent in pop hidden beneath the glitz and glamour of mainstream singles. A place for discussion on the past, present and future of the pop industry, and an information roundup on the latest from both mainstream and lesser known acts.

/officialpr

‘k, let’s get to the meat and bones of this bitch. This is an interactive thread, so glance through all the OP!

Current Relevant Albums

20110830-kn8fb5msutqdcieecctnk32b7p.png

20111123-j7e5jix1fu25iw62pbhr553u2x.png
20111123-dei2ffg5nefd5h9wkfpprnybj1.png

20111123-rf2prhjq2t5mgikm29cb4ujktn.png

20111123-di8spef1a9189ku22aba7hryg1.png
20111123-d49gu22nhhgnqsjxjiby15kpb5.png
20111123-p7h4w3pfi88x5ncy2jxeu262a3.png

20110830-xr278rtrs22a4tqqxffbyx9ff.png

20111123-t82j7dnwnsqef4ru7q6gpw9ypc.png
20111123-ge76kuxht5m5ytsd31dmi7ijkp.png

20111123-dgcgqxns7ifpc33csmphh72gxt.png

20111123-c64xff8mxsyifd1hjsjpge5sc3.png
20111123-jf5jj2c2r5tt2c84npxfw4j7i8.png
20111123-dy2rq6u67153fpggc55i8mmtp8.png

*Mainstreams will be continuously updated based on commercial relevance
*Lesser Knowns will be continuously updated based on suggestions, so leave a comment suggesting your unknown fave!

Current Relevant Radio & Digital Singles

Artist - Single

Latest! Marina & The Diamonds - Primadonna

*Singles are also continuously updated based on commercial relevance and suggestions, so don’t forget to give a shout out to your fave’s latest!

Arriving To Your Preferred Music Playing Device Soon!

Artist - Album Title - Release Date

ARCHIVES
Exemplary stanning posts from our very own.
g6DIz.gif

#1: Whitney Houston's best studio/live notes
#2: Mariah Carey's best studio/live notes
#3A, 3B, 3C, 3D: The History Channel Presents: Expired Tea

Specific Artist Threads
Many of the princesses and princes of Pop have a sizable following on Gaf and thus their own individual threads. If you want to discuss something about the following artists, you are encouraged to drop by their respective thread! Don’t be afraid, the stans are nice.

Last (and certainly least), the POP |OT| expresses their sincerest sympathy towards the following losses:

20110830-djt4nn76r13yr9i2h7xai13p4g.png
20110830-gm2qqs637ae759ub37jbyknp29.png

Dn55A.gif

WARNING!
This is a thread of happiness and wig snatching, but not unsupported bullscheiße. If you want to indulge in hipster trolling towards pop music, you are welcomed to create a Delusions |OT| and feed off whatever it is you want.

Da5xn.gif

We urge you, however, to join us and appreciate the vast and varied landscape of pop! xoxo

alternade

Amazing! I'm pop addicted. Girls Aloud, Sugababes, Britney, Gaga, SNSD, The Saturdays, Nicola Robert, the list doesnt end!

Kyon

Banned
Lets get this goin gurls.

2mx08ef.jpg

but first i would like to post a recent Godney pic, a month old but who curr

2mqkars.jpg

CRS

The only song I've listened to from the OP is Adele's Rolling in the Deep after hearing John Legend's cover. Was addicted to that song for a couple of days.

As someone that doesn't really listen to pop at all...what is pop? I thought, it was just, you know, anything popular. Like if people started liking black metal and the new Burzum sold 5 million copies, it would be pop music. But the OP features artists that are 'lesser known' pop artists, which seems like an oxymoron if "pop" still means "popular".

Also, the banner is just a bunch of women that sing and don't play instruments. Can men make pop albums? Can women sing and play guitar and make pop albums?

What defines pop?

Secks4Food said:
As someone that doesn't really listen to pop at all...what is pop? I thought, it was just, you know, anything popular. Like if people started liking black metal and the new Burzum sold 5 million copies, it would be pop music. But the OP features artists that are 'lesser known' pop artists, which seems like an oxymoron if "pop" still means "popular".

Also, the banner is just a bunch of women that sing and don't play instruments. Can men make pop albums? Can women sing and play guitar and make pop albums?

What defines pop?
Wikipedia:
Musicologists often identify the following characteristics as typical of the pop music genre:
an aim of appealing to a general audience, rather than to a particular sub-culture or ideology[3]
an emphasis on craftsmanship rather than formal "artistic" qualities[3]
an emphasis on recording, production, and technology, over live performance[10]
a tendency to reflect existing trends rather than progressive developments[10]
much pop music is intended to encourage dancing, or it uses dance-oriented beats or rhythms[10]

Which is pretty funny.

EDIT: Also this thread is missing.....

PARTY ROCK!!!!
yFXee.jpg

Well...that wikipedia description is pretty much the direct antithesis of what I want in music, guess I'll just leave now. Enjoy your thread guys and gals!

Sai-kun

Banned
Secks4Food said:
Well...that wikipedia description is pretty much the direct antithesis of what I want in music, guess I'll just leave now. Enjoy your thread guys and gals!

Wikipedia is wrong on every count except for that last one, I think.

I wish I could describe pop music, but I really can't. Listen to some of our recommended artists and singles though, and I think you'll hear what it's about.

SalsaShark said:
Can i like Bjork and not be considered a "gurrrl"?

You can like anything in this thread and not be that. We only call each other that because of our various affiliations with GayGAF and because it's a kinda funny nickname for each other ;p

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Koodo, with that OP, you have won me over.

Especially cause of Janelle Monae.

BUT

y u no jessie j? (yಠ,ಠ)y

Plywood said:
Koodo, with that OP, you have won me over.

Especially cause of Janelle Monae.

BUT

y u no jessie j? (yಠ,ಠ)y

Erm, pardon my forwardness, but this doesn't belong anywhere near the OP:

qpS6X.jpg

Yoshiya

Hyped for new Florence, Bjork, Ladytron and Marina. Radioactive and What The Water Gave Me are probably my most played atm.

Oh, and Robyn <3

Lykke Li's Wounded Rhymes doesn't really seem pop-ish enough to be in this thread, but it's still my favourite album of the year so far.

Sai-kun

Banned
Secks4Food said:

What defines pop?

To answer your other questions though, pop USED to be just...popular, and now it's a genre (which as I said earlier, I'm not really sure how I'd define it, aside from very upbeat and dancey). And it makes sense that most of them don't play instruments, since their music is very much built around their voice, not around a particular instrument, but there are a couple that play instruments, like Little Boots and Lady Gaga. Men can most certainly be/produce pop music (See Coldplay's latest single, which I would definitely classify as pop-rock), it's just not as common.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
SecretMoblin said:
Erm, pardon my forwardness, but this doesn't belong anywhere near the OP:

http://i.imgur.com/qpS6X.jpg[/quote]
Her covers were great, ya'll were riyonkerlous in the VMA's thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom