• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the game you dreamed of as a kid been made?

Retroid

As a kid I always dreamed of games that let you create and expand on the experiences in them. Dreams is essentially my 'dream' game, I will be buying a PS4 for it.

Phazon_Chaos

Neo Member
Nope. I don't remember any specific game I dreamed of, but based on my interests as a kid, I feel like Scalebound would have been the closest thing to that (big sprawling adventure where you have a dragon buddy and also kind of turn into a dragon-ish form), but uhhh, I guess that didn't work out.

En-ou

yes:
WoW_Box_Art1.jpg

39915-Legend_of_Zelda,_The_-_Ocarina_of_Time_(USA)-50.jpg

breath-of-the-wild-zelda3-1200x625.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 were my childhood dream game for Mario.

A HD version of Pokemon with Breath of the Wild's world and village and Xenoblade X's creature diversity is the other.

jtb

Banned
Yup. I shit you not, Knights of the Old Republic is literally the game little kid me would have dreamed of. Pitch perfect.

nkarafo

Mine is never going to happen and i'm sure of it. I suppose GTA5 comes close but i wanted a game with the same scope that allows you to explore every single building with the visual details of (Silent Hills) P.T. Where every house is handcrafted and detailed. Doesn't matter if there is a purpose to them. So basically, a proper town to explore. Bonus points if it's a horror themed game (an abandoned, ghost town?)

Sure, GTA 5 covered the exterior part of my dream game. But the interior is the most interesting and hardest part.

Other than that, Metroid Prime fills the bill for a 3D Metroid i always wanted after i played SM back in the day.

Geist-

Star Citizen will get preeeeety darn close, if it delivers on half the promises.
When Star Citizen was first announced, it's like Chris Roberts took his ideas straight from my own childhood imagination. Fully modeled capital ships, that can launch dogfighters, with fully realized fps mechanics so I can board other ships to take them over, or defend against other enemy boarding actions, all in a multiplayer environment. The only game that ever managed to get close to bringing those elements together (that I can remember) was Star Wars Battlefront 2 and it's space combat wasn't exactly the great.

balohna

Maybe not 100%, but Breath of the Wild is pretty close. I maybe wouldn't have been able to come up with a lot of the more clever things it does to stay compelling, but the idea of being in an action-adventure game where the adventure is totally dictated by the player and anything (within a set of rules) feels possible is... pretty cool.

I know other games kinda did this before, including the original Zelda, but keep in mind I grew up on Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. I also had a "Wind Waker but on land with horses and stuff" dream game idea, and BOTW is beyond that in many ways.

Metalmarc

I remember saying to my younger cousins when i was about 12yrs old

My dream game would be like a mix of games like a Driving game, a shooting game, you can fight, ride bikes etc

Thats pretty much GTA & GTA Style games (Saints Row etc)

So yeah.

royox

Still waiting for that 1:1 movement Lightsaber game. And don't you dare posting that kinect shit here.

FRS1987

Test Drive Unlimited 2 came close, never played the first one. My cousin and I always wanted an open-world car/racing game as kids. We would play San Fransisco Rush on the N64 and pretend to drive like a simulation and find random places that were our "houses". I guess we wanted a mix of realistic life+ car simulator. TDU2 + GTA minus the violence, like when you are able to buy your house in TDU2. I don't know if that makes sense but TDU2 came close, kid me would just prefer if you could also wander around in the streets and not just inside your house.

Eusis

One of the ones I recall dreaming of was one that'd change genres and basically had all or most of the ones I liked covered.

I guess something like Retro Game Challenge would be just that.

tsundoku

As a kid? Sure, Probably Kirb SSU.
Also technically the LEGO CAD unofficial program.
And some of the vr modelling stuff nowadays.
As a young teen I'd always mash up my favourite features from games i'd played, New concepts are only more of a recent / freethinking adult thing for me.

Madao

as a kid i dreamed about a game like SSB but that happened pretty close to when i thought it up.

also, my kid self would really appreciate it if they made a main Mario game with time travel as a mechanic. my kid self was very crushed when the game known as "Mario's Time Machine" turned out to be an educative game after fantasizing over the possibilities since the moment of spotting the game at a store to buying it (it took weeks to convince parents to buy it).
i know Mario & Luigi PiT exists but that's not what i had in mind.

It may not have been the particular Cyborg Ninja I've always loved, and whilst RAY was my favourite design I still wanted to face off against REX, but damn Revengence was catered so much to my childhood wants from Metal Gear.

I need to play both that and MGS again now...

Spoit

I don't know if it's really as a kid, but an open world mirror's edge, with user defined courses was pretty much exactly what I was looking for in a sequel. And while they could have taken a few more cues from burnout paradise or something, on the whole, I was satisfied with catalyst

Donos

When GTA3 came out on PS2, it was like a dream come true. 3D open world game where you could do almost anything. It blew my mind so hard that i was totally in awe the first day i played it at a friend.

GTA V is as close to a perfect GTA as it gets. (Single Player)

Yes and no. I wanted a game where you control your character and can go anywhere in the world and go to real life locations and everything will be there like the roads and houses and buildings etc will look exactly the same. Of course in my game you could also go into people's houses etc but the game that came close is...Pokemon GO with the poke stops and roads on the map. But why oh why can we not have the same game but with buttons. I'd love to randomly be like ok today I want to wander around Japan and gather my friends to take over some gyms there, without having to you know... Fly there.

Other than that I have a few wants like a good quality Mario Party compilation with a the beat boards and games, Bomberman in Smash Bros, and just in general perfect versions of multiplayer games like Mario Kart Bomberman etc where there's a great mix of new content and all of the old content. MK8 Deluxe is pretty much that and hopefully Smash Switch will be too!

woopWOOP

As a kid I loved to roam around games like Police Quest, just go and drive around the city, park your car and visit different areas. I really wanted a similar looking game except a mellow one where you're just a person doing every day stuff. Go to work, go shopping, drive your car to the movie theater, buy a new house, that kind of regular adult stuff that sounded super fun as a kid.

The Sims pretty much covers most of that I guess (and I did enjoy playing the first one a lot). Most of it's confined to the house tho, no downtown cities to explore. Running around River City Ransom: Underground's city locations really reminded me of those 'videogame dreams' of old, so I guess a 1:1 game of my dreams would be a The Sims style game in River City Ransom's style and I don't think that happened yet :p

Shenmue (or maybe even Yakuza, never played it) pretty much. I didn't even realize it until now.

My game idea as a kid was one where you could basically go anywhere in your neighborhood, inside stores for instance and fight people in the street.

Only my idea wasn't set in Japan. It was set where I was at when I was a kid.

Yes, as a kid I had three big franchises I loved, Ghostbusters, Star Wars and the Legend of Zelda

As a Kid I dreamed of being a Ghostbuster and fighting along side the cast, in 2009 i got the superb Ghostbusters, photorealistic, iconic locations it was and still is the perfect Ghostbusters Game

As a Kid i wanted to be a jedi, to fly in space to explore the worlds and to an extent i have gotten that - Kotor Gave me the story, Jedi Knight 2/Outcast/Academy and The Force Unleashed gave me the Jedi experience and Xwing/Tie/Alliance gave me the space combat - one day I'd love those three to be in one game but i doubt that will ever happen.

And as a Kid i wanted to be a knight, to explore a kingdom, to fight monsters and save the day, i loved running around in the local forest with a stick as a sword, the early Zelda games captured my imagination and made me dream of living in Hyrule, but they always had something more i wanted......and now I've got Breath of the Wild and 60 hours in it is everything i ever wanted and dreamt of.

have to give an honorable mention to my child hood love of Pirates too and how Assassin's creed black flag pretty much nailed what i wanted from that genre, I'd have loved them to just keep cloning that game as a new franchise based around pirates

FoxSpirit

As a kid all I had were cheap LCD games. So my dreams were pretty mundane :p
My dream game was something that reused the shapes on the screen to make more levels/enemies.
Can't really complain nowadays :)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
no. still waiting on that open world mmo/rpg harry potter game. it'll never happen. i just want to go to hogwarts, learn spells, duel, play quidditch, and explore the castle/grounds. once you leave then you can pick a career with it's own quests. you could be an auror hunting and fighting dark wizards, teacher at hogwarts, quidditch player taking your team to the world cup, or even working your way through the ministry of magic to become the minister.

jk rowling prefers people to read books or watch a movie. she doesn't seem to be a fan of video games. i think it's a perfect way to experience a story. it could be text heavy. hogwarts library would be full of so many textbooks. just look at the elder scrolls games which have lots of books you can read. or the dialogue system could be like that found in a crpg with lots of text to read. there doesn't need to be a lot of voice acting. maybe just for cutscenes.

i really loved playing HBP on ps3 because you could explore the school/grounds more than any other game. also the quidditch world cup game was fantastic.

i'll keep dreaming.

EricB

I guess I have pretty boring dreams but I would be happy with a sprawling, sprite-based Super Mario Bros. 5.

With good music.

IvorB

I wanted a third-person game with a combat engine on the level of a dedicated 1v1 fighting game. I wanted it to represent traditional martial arts disciplines with lot's of moves, stances and parries. I wanted an eastern aesthetic for this (naturally). And now Nioh has arrived.

Edit: this was in high school though... not sure if counts as kid still.

Same as you OP. Versus XIII was pretty much the game I dreamed of, a Kingdom Hearts game with a darker setting and a huge world to explore. Even though XV didn't live up to my expectations, I still enjoyed it.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I got the exact game I always wanted, but in an ironic Twilight Zone sort of way.

What I imagined was an Aliens game that was an atmospheric fps set on LV-426 and focusing on the response team that went looking for the Sulaco.

In the months leading up to release, it looked we were getting an amazing game. Turned out the footage was fake and the actual game was so terrible that no one is ever gonna try to make that game ever again, that whole idea is now tainted.

Fuck Gearbox and fuck that liar Randy.

As a kid all I ever wanted was a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger.

As a teen, all I ever wanted was a game that would allow you to explore "modern" Japan as a tourist.

Yakuza (and to a lesser extent, Akiba's Trip) got me covered on dream game no. 2.

As to the first... well, one out of two ain't bad.

Kanann

Dragon's Dogma

but my dream setting are about spaghetti western+mecha+gun, laser beam+politic+demons and gods+cute girls here and there, not a janky medieval like itsuno's.

Peterc

zelda botw is almost what i wanted.
Wow was a starter for me.

I would like to have a starfox game with different planets mmo.
Where you can walk around like starfox adventure and building your fort and fly in space to visit other planets but everything in realtime.

I know some games are trying to do something like this in a small way, but it's still boring.

It should be a mix between, wow/zelda/ultima online/star wars/fox

Yes: Super Street Fighter IV. Fei Long, Sagat, Ibuki, Dudley, Cody - all in one game and with proper 3D models!

Still hoping for X-Wing VR.

Top Bottom