• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what happened to drinky crow

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Drinky Crow was such a man of contradictions......always disdainful of animu moe loli crap, always frustrated by heavy-handed cornball anime tropes and stories. Yet he was inevitably drawn to the battle mechanics of JRPGs that were invariably full of weird pedo pandering and endless mewling cutscenes. I can't imagine what it's like to love a genre's gameplay, but be disgusted by its entire aesthetic and narrative style. It's like if Noam Chomsky loved Call of Duty, or Anita Sarkeesian couldn't get enough of Bayonetta.

gblues

Banned
I've been here since... fuck, I can't remember. I know it was back in the gaming-age/forums days, then we went to some shitty vbulletin host, before finally landing at neogaf.com. So probably 2000-2001-ish?

Goddamn, my gaf account is almost old enough to vote.

border

I've been here since... fuck, I can't remember. I know it was back in the gaming-age/forums days, then we went to some shitty vbulletin host, before finally landing at neogaf.com. So probably 2000-2001-ish?

You forgot about the time that GAF was briefly hosted by IGN. Strange bedfellows.

It's weird to think that there was a time when forums could die because they were simply too popular. You'd think that huge, massive traffic would help strength a community rather than weaken it. I guess you still kinda see popular communties dying today though, with the death of IMDB's forums.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Woah, I forgot about Olimario :eek:

I actually worked with MAF, or at least he said he was for a few years at a video game company.

I'm pretty sure it was maf, or someone as famous on gaf.

He wasn't angry at all lol

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I've been here since... freak, I can't remember. I know it was back in the gaming-age/forums days, then we went to some shitty vbulletin host, before finally landing at neogaf.com. So probably 2000-2001-ish?

Goddamn, my gaf account is almost old enough to vote.

I came with the Dreamcast launch...but I honestly have no recollection of you. Did you used to go by a different name or have a different avatar?

No one can possibly be the person they are on here IRL

I am. I was a hardcore conservative up until about 10 years ago, and then the end of Bush era finally did me in. Having a sad sack of shit McCain and a horrible sub-human being Romney represent the party would seem like a dream for me now. I am glad I switched parties and mindsets before the party went 100% crazy so I can say I didn't wait until it all fell apart to jump ship. :p I am the same sarcastic, praise-seeker irl as I am on the board. I just can't follow what the youngins do these days.

I'm not an attractive woman wearing a Master System 3-D glasses, however. :p

Cipherr

Oh god how I hated him.

Dude would chuck kerosene on the out of control forest fires that were console wars, and his ass was immune to moderation.

FML I swear he made me want to reach through my screen so many times
KuGsj.gif

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Been here awhile, not as long as most folk.

There's lots of people I miss :(

Hear, hear.

ToxicAdam, speculawyer, el scorcho and Gaborn, and dozens of others

Although, to be fair, there are a lot on the board, cult of personality types, I wish would just go away. Many discussions end or dramatically change course, because posters await, welcome, and worship the thread presence of a handful of sardonic know-it-alls. :p

Hell, I never liked ronito or Hitokage, but I miss them both all the same.

ElyrionX

I echo the sentiment that this place was a lot more fun in the past, both gaming and OT. These days, everything on OT is just awfully serious political discussions, Trump, movies and TVs. There's no fun allowed anymore.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I echo the sentiment that this place was a lot more fun in the past, both gaming and OT. These days, everything on OT is just awfully serious political discussions, Trump, movies and TVs. There's no fun allowed anymore.

That's what community is for.

pre 2008-GAF unite

Still find this rather funny because while I fit this criteria I still feel like a newbie compared to most of the veterans posting in this thread.

entremet

I joined in 08 but lurked all the way back from 05.

So I remember a lot of older gaffers--Segata, Cloudwalking, Jarosh, Andrex, Ethelred, Synthesizer Patel, This older Gaffer that drew comics during NPD threads, and so on.

I don't remember MAF on GAF, but he used to post more in another forum.

Fun times.

As GAF got bigger, it did lose something. Comes with the territory I guess.

i remember JackFrost claiming he was Drinky's alt account, but i don't buy it

Drinky was truly a top-tier troll and a master of the English language
Oh that takes me back to the days when we couldn't curse on GAF. And then we could curse but not say cunt for a while IIRC.. those were innocent times.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh that takes me back to the days when we couldn't curse on GAF. And then we could curse but not say cunt for a while IIRC.. those were innocent times.
BritGAF started using the slang Jeremy for cunt after Jeremy Hunt.

That or when one got a bit too drunk they'd just post a wall of cunt cunt cunt until they got banned.

Blizzard

Banned
I think it was less that people couldn't say "cunt", but more that people were specifically using it as a demeaning term for women instead of as a general insult in the British sense.

I don't think trojita is actually a dog. How would he post from mobile with paws? Fairly sure paws don't work on smartphones.

Also i don't much care for long term posters but it's depressing to see cool peeps come and go very quickly.

bionic77

I think I started lurking around the e3 where they revealed the gamecube and Xbox and joined shortly afterwards.

Its been so long I don't even remember how the site held up during 2001 e3. I want to say that it was down more often than it was up but its been so many e3s that I might be wrong about that.

TEJ

One thing I really miss about GAF that has gone away are the funny photoshop threads. And Segata Sanshiro.

PC guys and high horse-riding 'unbiased' rich dudes who had everything were the wildcards. Spec wars complete with screenshots and Famitsu/Mediacreate/NPD sales threads were fun times.

How many of us are still into gaming like that?

I don't know that I ever was. I think I was a "casual" gamer waiting for the app scene to come along. My gaming experience dates back to the 70s and I was always chasing the novelty of a good addictive (and often short) experience ala the golden age of 1980-1985 arcade games.

I say "casual" because I am usually into whatever game pretty far, nothing really casual about it-- but I could never get into the franchise-worship and tech-spec-wars that a lot of gamers do.

IrishNinja

RIP Himuro & Blackace

He's me but weaker

He's always banned, basically the original Wario64 tag but better because his name grayed out as well

old gaffers dusty af anyways

bruh this supposed to be your era & don't nobody know you

iclash

I came here after the small but awesome Working Designs forums died because I heard Vic posted here. Lurked for a bit then joined, but I rarely post anything. The tone has changed a lot but it's still the best gaming focused forum and it still makes me laugh.

gblues

Banned
I came with the Dreamcast launch...but I honestly have no recollection of you. Did you used to go by a different name or have a different avatar?

I've never been what you'd call a prolific poster, so I can't say I'm surprised. The avatar I used the longest was a shrunk-down version of this faux-NES "DudeBro II" box art I made about 7 years ago:

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll say it again.

The craziest GAF thread of all time still the thread where Jbaird just went totally mental.

I've honestly never seen anything like it personally happen on the internet in real time (vs stories and links to other crazy shit I wasn't there for).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Been around since 2000, as many of you know. Had quite a prolific and loud demeanor as a teenager back then. Hahaha. One of my favorite moments on this forum might still be when we had a fake/wannabe 'Japanese' GAFer outed as a major liar and he wrote this amazing meltdown thread. The name escapes me at the moment, but that was some shit. Kitsune was it?

What happened to AlphaSnake? Matrixadw(I think) Ploid 1-3.0

Lots of posters disappeared

I'm still here daily. I post in my CarGAF thread and some other threads here and there. Nothing prolific. I've seen Ploid post on rare occasions, I think. Matrix left the forum when NBA GAF was slapped around by moderation, but he's also not been feeling too well with health and such. So he's not really been social much. :\

Also don't forget my boy BeOnEdge, who use to be a massive Sega fanboy. He's got kids and a wife now. Crazy shit. He may still be around, but under a different name. Hahaha.

Alpha resides, 24/7, in carGAF

Yep.

But having said that, Drinky and MAF had a schtick that got old and they, along with Dragona were the worst mods. But the IRC chats were funny.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been around since 2000, as many of you know. Had quite a prolific and loud demeanor as a teenager back then. Hahaha. One of my favorite moments on this forum might still be when we had a fake/wannabe 'Japanese' GAFer outed as a major liar and he wrote this amazing meltdown thread. The name escapes me at the moment, but that was some shit. Kitsune was it?

Yep, I recall that episode.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Also, look at a user's User ID number and you'll know instantly how OG they are. Anything under 5000 is really old.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
"I think some people just move on from this site. Its been over 15 years for the oldest members."

Will actually be 20 years for a few (not me) starting next year.

You know, I'm not even sure how long I've been a member of GAF. I first joined several board formats ago, I want to say in '97 or so? I know it was years before Kohan came out, and that was 2000.

Holy Shit. O_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom