• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT!

Someone needs to put this on a .gif of Billy from 'Predator'.

"There was a firefight. There was shooting in all directions..." pretty much describes what's going to happen on the Steam forums after the DS launch.

I'll be stalking this thread and awaiting any DirectX mods that people might try to implement to make the internal res higher (Maybe Durante will do it =) )

At first, I was on the bandwagon with "This sucks! Don't support it" but now after some good discussions I'm at the stage of where "If it shapes up to have solid gameplay, I'll play it"

The only thing that is a major mood killer is GFWL - which hasn't burned me yet, but I did just lose all of my Witcher 2 saves for no reason at all, and would hate it if that happened to my Dark Souls saves

antitrop

I think you like using the word "stipulation" a little bit too much. Besides, as you said, it's a forum, people talk about things in whatever way they want (as long as it's legal).
What's a better word than stipulation in the context I'm using it for? Maybe condition, but I don't regularly consult my Thesaurus when writing internet forum comments.

Hypron

A link to this software should be added to the OP since so many people are affraid to lose their saves. It never happened to me even though I played several GFWL games quite intensely, but I still made frequent back-ups just in case.

lexi

Banned
I feel really dumb, but people know about creating GFWL offline profiles right? I personally didn't know about it till recently... Anyway you'll never lose another save again, and the whole GWFL experience is much less shitty.

Or maybe they'll all work together for a mod to solve the problem.

Believe!

That's why I already have the port pre-ordered. It's going to be fine, because modders will fix it. "Taking a stand against bad PC ports" or whatever is just dumb. Publishers only see sales figures, and if sales figures are low no one asks why they just know not to do the same thing again.

So to think that there's going to be some deep introspective thinking at any publisher about the quality of the PC port negatively impacting sales and then a come to Jesus realization that if only they changed their PC porting ways the riches will follow is just so f'ing laughable.

Grief.exe

So on top of having a locked framebuffer it won't support upscale to resolutions above 1080p? I feel bad for the people with 1440p or 1600p screens...

Wait, so what about 16:10 resolutions? Sigh...

People will find a way, either throw a .ini file, the registry, or through hex editing a config file there is always a way to adjust the resolution to your desired level.

zkylon

zkylewd
I feel really dumb, but people know about creating GFWL offline profiles right? I personally didn't know about it till recently... Anyway you'll never lose another save again, and the whole GWFL experience is much less shitty.
Yeah but no multiplayer :/

There are 16:10 resolutions listed there.
Oh, you're right, but my resolution (1920x1200) isn't there. This keeps getting better and better...

soultron

Banned
Cannot wait for the new content. DS (and a few others this year) was a really engrossing experience, spent nearly 100 hours on my first run through. I don't do that these days, don't have the time -- but Dark Souls was just incredible. Stayed up like I was a little kid playing video games again. c:

I didn't =/

I'll look into it, thanks =)

Just a lot of hearsay from my friends going on about how bad GFWL is (just DRM in general).

Camwi

At least here in the States it is. I know what you're saying though. They probably just assume everyone would use Steam. Another oversight perhaps. You could import it, lol.

Yeah, I'll probably import it once it drops in price. I'm tempted to just not buy it at all until that happens, and hopefully the modders will have done their thing in the meantime.

Orayn

Yeah but no multiplayer :/

Oh, you're right, but my resolution (1920x1200) isn't there. This keeps getting better and better...

I'm pretty sure the 16:10 resolutions listed all letterbox to 16:9 anyway, so there's no difference between using 1920x1200 "natively" and setting your video card to do the letterboxing instead.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm pretty sure the 16:10 resolutions listed all letterbox to 16:9 anyway, so there's no difference between using 1920x1200 "natively" and setting your video card to do the letterboxing instead.
I'm kind of ok if I get a letterboxed 1920x1080 but the double stretch from 1024x768 to 1920x1080 and then to 1920x1200 might be too much.

Wouldn't be enough for FROM/Bamco if this DS PC didn't have some secret surprise in store for me lol...

Teknoman

So on top of having a locked framebuffer it won't support upscale to resolutions above 1080p? I feel bad for the people with 1440p or 1600p screens...

Dont cry for me, i'm already dead.

tumblr_ljh9srjM6V1qhm9wpo1_500.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
God a Nixxes port would have been heavenly.

Even SEGA is smart enough to outsource the PC ports ( Devil's Details ported Sonic Generations,Virtua Tennis 4 and Binary Domain) I really don't think hiring a small porting studio will cost that much since even a company with no money like SEGA do it.

I didn't =/

I'll look into it, thanks =)

Just a lot of hearsay from my friends going on about how bad GFWL is (just DRM in general).
I feel like solid instruction on creating an Offline GFWL account needs to be in the first post.
Creating an offline GFWL profile is rather simple. When you boot up the game, hit the Home key. This will bring up the guide (overlay). Select "create new profile", a window will pop up saying that you need an internet connection to create a LIVE profile. This is probably where the confusion lies with most people, as if you want to play offline you do not need a Live profile, just a local one. Scroll down and you will see "create a local profile" highlighted and underlined. Click on it, enter your desired profile name, press enter and press it again at the next screen. You're done.
That comparison is either wrong or hopelessly outdated. Steamworks has had parties (L4D2) and persistent leaderboards for ages.
I said you would get a kick out of it.

antitrop

I guess....NA gets the wonky end of the stick with this series in general though so maybe tomorrow is just a soft launch and then Friday is when the real shit is planned to go down.
Steam says it unlocks in 23 hours.

Do Steam clients outside the US give a different number?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
From his point of view:

From patching the game to fix launch mistakes: Right

Community releasing unofficial patch to fix From's mistakes: Wrong

If it's "right" he will buy the game, if it's "wrong" he will not buy the game.
To clarify my stance - I will buy it regardless, when it hits 10~. I will pick it up sooner pending they fix this. It's a fine game, undoubtedly. I also will not reward the effort in the games current condition though.

I urge anyone to vote with their wallets, for food or bad.

Orayn

#2 best seller on Steam, unseating Arma 2? The optimist in me says this will break even early, secure the next Souls game on PC, and lead to much kowtowing on the part of Bamco and From Software over the quality of the port.

#2 best seller on Steam, unseating Arma 2? The optimist in me says this will break even early, secure the next Souls game on PC, and lead to much kowtowing on the part of Bamco and From Software over the quality of the port.

This is the ideal situation definitely, but I hope it's the outcome. In the end, if this is how it turns out, I know my sacrifice early on won't be in vain.

Teknoman

Yeah, if anything, its a good thing that so many people are buying. The quality of the port will be in the PC spotlight for awhile, especially releasing so close to Sleeping Dogs (Amazing port) and Darksiders II (dont know the quality since I dont have it).

And I am one of those sacrifices...

who will still most likely enjoy the game and the new content, yet complain to no end about lack of PC options.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hopefully that + patch.

Darksiders II (dont know the quality since I dont have it).
Apparently it's abysmal, having even less options than Dark Souls.

Razek

Banned
Really excited to see some impressions and see if this is ever going to get modded. I was really looking forward to playing this. I hope I get a chance too.

Dizzy-4U

It's pretty sad that we didn't even get a pre-load with the preorder on steam. With my prehistoric internet speed it will take like 30 hours to download :/

Top Bottom