• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Growlanser IV aka Angels Are Huge Assholes: The Game

I know there are a lot of factors that go into decisions of what games to localize that fans may not be aware. I still can't help but look at the games Atlus was localizing back around the time Growlanser first came out and wonder "why not Growlanser?"

I'd definitely recommend going back and playing Growlanser I after IV. It's easily one of the best RPGs from that generation, if not the best, and it does a few things that you don't see in games often or that became more standard in the genre.

I mean, it's one of the few games where what happens during story battles actually has an effect on the setting and story a little bit. There are a couple of places where have to protect NPCs and if you let one of them die, they stay dead and the NPC dialogue changes as a result.

The enormous praise I'm hearing for that game from people who have good opinions on these things has been hyping me the fuck out.

The idea that I just completely missed one of the best of the best from the PSX generation is Christmas present levels of excitement for me, especially knowing that the excellent PSP port exists and is fairly cheap.

Shouta

The enormous praise I'm hearing for that game from people who have good opinions on these things has been hyping me the fuck out.

The idea that I just completely missed one of the best of the best from the PSX generation is Christmas present levels of excitement for me, especially knowing that the excellent PSP port exists and is fairly cheap.

You're in for a real treat with the game but definitely gotta get through GL4 before that, which is an equally fantastic game, IMO.

I think both games make my Top RPGs for their gens. Growlanser, Grandia, Valkyrie Profile for PSX/N64/Saturn then Growlanser IV, Tales of Destiny Director's Cut, then SMT3: Nocturne or Persona 3 for PS2/Xbox/GC/Saturn, in no specific orders.

I remembered when i picked this, didnt expect much of it, on the beggining i was really pleased by everything, then as i progressed it quickly became one of the best rpgs i played.

Pro tip: Use a lot of alternate saves. Trust me.

That's actually really cool, because the whole thing felt really organic to me. The side stuff seems to blend in with the main story stuff in a really smooth way.

Yes, i played a lot without a guide, when i checked what was ooptional I was really surprised because a lot of it i had just assumed was progression.

Yes, i played a lot without a guide, when i checked what was ooptional I was really surprised because a lot of it i had just assumed was progression.

I bet. I've been going guideless so far as well just because it seems like a good game for that kind of natural experience.

And yeah, I've been saving in lots of different slots so far. Hahaha.

FiraB

Banned
As unappreciated as trails, personally I rank it higher then trails. Great game and it only gets better.

The start is nuts and it only gets better.

Keep in mind that how you complete a battle also matters in terms of consequences in this game.

EVERYTHING MATTERS.

He's so evil looking.

DAjrM32XkAEVlWv.jpg:large

And then he
immediately drugs me.
lol

Edit: Jesus Christ, this game gets dark.
Yaaaay human experimentation

Man, am I glad to see more Growlanser love. It's a criminally underappreciated series for sure. It kills me that the first game never got an official English release, but at least we managed to get four other games in the series.

To be honest, I feel thankful we even got IV, to be honest. I certainly won't hold anything against them.

I feel the same. I remember V getting a small print run and still selling like hot garbage despite that, so the fact that Atlus even bothered localizing IV was shocking.

I'm certainly thankful we got IV (eventually) and again I don't know all the reasons that went into the decision not to localize I. It's just that it's such a missed opportunity.

Safros

Growlanser IV is really great. I remember when I first got it I had low expectations since I didn't know much about it. I sort of expected a short run-of-the-mill JRPG with a basic story, a weird art style, and a somewhat unique battle system going off of the first half hour or so. It then turned out to be a really deep and engaging game, especially with how organic optional events are.

I only really noticed at first because I had lost my 35 or so hour save, and so in my haste to get to the point where I had been I either missed some events or somehow got different ones. It was really cool, but at the same time I felt sort of bad because I sort of shrugged off some characters.

My only complaint with the game is the music, which while actually being pretty damn good sounds low quality, especially when compared to the PS2 version.

Edgeward

I enjoyed this game and how character and party member based it was with how conversations in your downtime was a focus. But the difficulty and lack of checkpoints or enough save points really soured my experience and I never finished it.

pahamrick

This thread reminded me that I bought this game years ago when I first got my Vita and never actually played it.

I should rectify that after reading these impressions.

Graciaus

I really liked the game and if I had free time I'd love to replay it. I wish 1 had a fan translation since I really enjoyed 2, 3, and 4. I played 5 for a little but didn't like it and stopped.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the battle system, and especially the strange partially timed missions with unique objectives, but I'm actually digging it all a bunch.

Specifically the objective-focused battles. I've gotten probably more than ten game overs since starting the game, but I don't even mind. Trying to figure out how to make it through one of those missions is challenging but feels really rewarding once things go the way you want them to.

The aforementioned jailbreak mission saw me dying like four/five times before I finally got a workable strategy going, but I actually enjoyed that trial and error.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the battle system, and especially the strange partially timed missions with unique objectives, but I'm actually digging it all a bunch.

Specifically the objective-focused battles. I've gotten probably more than ten game overs since starting the game, but I don't even mind. Trying to figure out how to make it through one of those missions is challenging but feels really rewarding once things go the way you want them to.

The aforementioned jailbreak mission saw me dying like four/five times before I finally got a workable strategy going, but I actually enjoyed that trial and error.

The mission structure is one of the things I love most about the series. There's a real sense of accomplishment when you crack one of the tougher scenarios. IV is the best in that regard. It has the most challenging missions and the best variety. If you really want to, there are ways to break the game, but I think it's more fun not to.

Shouta

Combat in GL games are amazing specifically because of the story battles. Random encounters are pretty whatever but the story ones have a ton of variety and are pretty well crafted. It's a pretty tactical and strategic game and it really asks you to execute it all at the same time because of the way everything flows. It's absolutely one of my favorite combat systems and I wish we got more. =(

how much game is left after the jailbreak?

gamefaqs tells me there is like 4/5 game left

Jeezus. If that's true, I've literally barely scratched the surface of this game. lol

As for the random battles, I like that they're not actually random. It's nice and easy to grind (I enjoy that sort of thing, okay?!) by just refreshing a screen with a good set of enemies.

fwiw I started when I saw this thread yesterday. just finished the port battle

should say that i love this game! been wanting to get into the series fora while

Not to change the subject, but picking up Growlanser IV (and prob 1 afterward) has saved me from spending the next four months game paralyzed due to Sen 3 hype. Hahahaha.

Ironically, the last time this happened was back before Ao was ready to launch, I couldn't get myself to play anything else after beating Zero, and stumbled upon the original Corpse Party, which was a great find.

Ok, that was adorable.

I left my characters prone on the field, and all of a sudden my familiar started having a conversation with the people in my party.

That's a really neat little touch.

Umbooki

Who do I gotta fight for more Growlanser titles?

A huge part of the appeal is getting awesome rings and tinkering with OP gem combos. Multi-attack gems with lifesteal? Sure.
Ranged multi-attacks from anywhere on the map? Why not.

It's a shame they stripped the in-battle VA from IV.

Who do I gotta fight for more Growlanser titles?

A huge part of the appeal is getting awesome rings and tinkering with OP gem combos. Multi-attack gems with lifesteal? Sure.
Ranged multi-attacks from anywhere on the map? Why not.

It's a shame they stripped the in-battle VA from IV.

In-battle VA? Was that a thing they cut from the US release? In the JP version at least they make sounds and say shit.

Shouta

Ok, that was adorable.

I left my characters prone on the field, and all of a sudden my familiar started having a conversation with the people in my party.

That's a really neat little touch.

There's a decent amount of conversation there. I think the conversations change depending on which of the familiars you have too.

English version removed in-battle VA. The cutscenes are english dubbed though.

Oh word. For some reason I assumed the Japanese was left in, even though it's Atlus we're talking about. Durp.

Lmao, real estate tiiiiime.

Damn, Sydney. You got some mad strats on how to avoid paying taxes. Was not expecting this to be a voiced story point. lol

CO_Andy

Oh word. For some reason I assumed the Japanese was left in, even though it's Atlus we're talking about. Durp.
You can find undubbed rom images of all the English Growlanser games on the internet (even restores the battle voices). No subtitled movies however.

I really liked Sydney. I don't remember if she got a sidequest in the PSP version or not, lol.

I like how she goes all in, too.
She can't wait to teach you all about how to avoid paying taxes. And then when you ask her to help manage your new city, she's all "Hell there, master."

It was great. Really enjoying the cast of characters.

i find that i keep comparing this to trails, because I think it has more in common with that than a final fantasy or other srpg. and while i think trails does characterization and dialogue really well, this has way more enjoyable characters (ive been laughing a bunch) and the story is awesome and pretty complex and well-paced. and the variety in story battles is great.

Shouta

Characterizations in GL games are usually top notch, GL1 and GL4, in particular. However, even the other games have pretty solid casts.

verdures

As it is there is a script translation online (I helped edit the first half or so before I got too busy) for anyone who wants to play the game but doesn't know Japanese but it's obviously not the ideal way to experience the game.
Holy shit, you're awesome! Thanks for your work on that—my wife and I played through most of the game with this script up on a laptop screen many years ago. You're right that it's definitely not the ideal way to get through it... there was talk on the Romhacking boards ages ago about doing a translation but I don't think anyone ever picked up the project.

Holy shit, you're awesome! Thanks for your work on that—my wife and I played through most of the game with this script up on a laptop screen many years ago. You're right that it's definitely not the ideal way to get through it... there was talk on the Romhacking boards ages ago about doing a translation but I don't think anyone ever picked up the project.

Honestly most of the credit should go to borgor for the translation work, which was especially impressive given that neither English nor Japanese is his native language.

Daeoc

How did you end up liking the game after playing it this way?

StereoVsn

So I liked the description of the game and went to the PSN store to see if it is there. Clicked on the game to buy it and its already been bought... for years. Curse you backlog.

Downloaded it on my Vita last night and going to kick off a playthrough. Finishing up P5 can wait!

Top Bottom