• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lawbreakers dev: PC/console cross-platform play is “dumb”

KSweeley

Link: https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/866676227280687109

Cliff Bleszinski‏Verified account
@therealcliffyb

Cliff Bleszinski Retweeted Jermain Jackson
No. Cross play is dumb, buddy. :)

Ars Technica article: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/lawbreakers-dev-pcconsole-cross-platform-play-is-dumb/

As if to drive the point home, Bleszinski gave a blunt response to a Twitter user asking about the prospect of cross-platform play. "No. Cross play is dumb, buddy," he tweeted.

Theswweet

Unless they add Keyboard and Mouse support for PS4 (I know a few games do it, so maybe they actually could? Might be cool) then yeah, keep the two playerbases separate.

Expanded in the article:
"We made the decision not to do cross-play, and there are a lot of people with this pipe dream of PC and console cross-play," Lawbreakers lead developer Cliff Bleszinski told PCGamesN while announcing a PS4 port of what was formerly a PC exclusive. "It's like, 'No, be the best console game you can be, or be the best PC game you can be.' Because then you get PC players getting angry that there's aim assist on console, or with balance issues."
The announcement follows on a Eurogamer interview Bleszinski gave a year ago, in which he commented on a then-theoretical console version. "The thing about the controller is it's going to be tricky," he said at the time. "We've played around with the controller a little bit and, thing is, if we get around to doing console ports, I don't want to do cross-play. Some people think that's the holy grail for a lot of games, and I'm like, 'no.' If you have somebody with a keyboard and mouse versus somebody with a controller, I'm sorry, but the person with the keyboard and mouse is going to win nine times out of 10."

Makes sense.

For FPS I can see it. Especially a game as fast and twitch based as Lawbreakers. It could possibly ruin the experience for console players who can't turn in midair and make the shots that come easy on mouse&kb. On some PC games you can use a pad but it's a choice you make to take on that challenge. Unsuspecting console gamers should not be forced to play with PC players.

I can see his point for shooters and RTS games but it's the greatest thing ever for fighters like Street Fighter V and maybe even every other genre.

Segmenting your player base when you don't have to is dumb.

Sheroking

I can see his point for shooters and RTS games but it's the greatest thing ever for fighters like Street Fighter V and maybe even every other genre.

For SFV specifically, it's caused some problems with the netcode. It's at it's worst when crossplay occurs.

Which is probably why MVC:I doesn't have it.

For SFV specifically, it's caused some problems with the netcode. It's at it's worst when crossplay occurs.

I've never noticed it but I'd rather have it and it be kinda janky than not have it at all. They give the option to choose your platform to play against as well.

My brother and I get games in on different platforms and it's good times.

Atomski

just add native m&kb support on the ps4, buddy :)
So many console gamers refuse to use m&kb it would just piss them off that someone has an advantage over them because they love controllers.

Also another reason crossplay has been crap in the past is it takes to long for patches to get through on console games. There may be a simple bug that needs fixing that can be done instantly on PC while on console it has to get passed through cert first..

Skyzard

Banned
I wonder how popular those devices to let you hook up a mouse and keyboard to your PS4 are these days in competitive MP games.

And how many people use pads on MP pc games...

Such an annoying issue, wish there was a better way and one that allowed cross-play but sorted you into which control method you want to play with.

Tagyhag

just add native m&kb support on the ps4, buddy :)

No, that'd be dumb too because now anyone who plays on the PS4 who doesn't have a keyboard and mouse is at an inherent disadvantage.

My guess is that whenever devs want to do cross-play on a shooter where the mouse gives a clear advantage they should either have an exclusive mode that allows for cross-play (Maybe giving the console users balanced aim assist or keyboard/mouse support) or not allowing cross-play on the PC unless you're using a controller.

KingBroly

Banned

What caused crossplay problems with SFV is their shitty servers and one-sided rollback netcode. Which is why they're moving to new servers.

Atomski

I wonder how popular those devices to let you hook up a mouse and keyboard to your PS4 are these days in competitive MP games.

And how many people use pads on MP pc games...

Such an annoying issue, wish there was a better way and one that allowed cross-play but sorted you into which control method you want to play with.
It's just not worth splitting the player base.

Fancolors

I don't know a single thing about Lawbreakers, but I imagine it is a competitive shooter? In this case it's make sense to keep both separated because of balance. Would love to get more crossplay for co-op stuff tho.

I believe this is because of the delivery of patches/updates. In Steam, they could straight up patch the game right away, while on PS4 and XB1, patches will need to be certified first by Sony and Microsoft before going live. That could make cross play kinda impossible because of different game versions.

Ploid 3.0

Even with Paragon I feel I'm at an advantage with mouse/kb over playing with a regular controller (not counting steam controller). For ranged characters only though. Which is why I think they make fewer rangers.

I believe this is because of the delivery of patches/updates. In Steam, they could straight up patch the game right away, while on PS4 and XB1, patches will need to be certified first by Sony and Microsoft before going live. That could make cross play kinda impossible because of different game versions.

Clif should find out how his Epic buddies got such a fast patch process with Sony on Paragon if that was the case. A patch every 2 weeks, or maybe every week? New character every 3 weeks.

I still don't understand how m/k isn't natively supported on the PS4 and X1. Would have bought one a long time ago if they did. I mean, higher powered consoles today want to be pcs anyway.

molnizzle

Even with Paragon I feel I'm at an advantage with mouse/kb over playing with a regular controller (not counting steam controller). For ranged characters only though. Which is why I think they make fewer rangers.

It's a definite advantage.

Thing is, Paragon has full M+KB support on PS4. So technically console players could have that advantage as well.

...which kinda bums me out, honestly, because I just want to use a controller.

Johndoey

Banned
Your game is dumb, buddy :)

I mean he's saying that cross-play for this particular title would be a bad idea, and considering it's supposed to be a fairly fast paced FPS he's completely right. It's not a comment on the idea of cross-play itself.

He's not wrong really. To be honest I'm personally tired of one of my friends saying the players on ps4 for OW are actually better than ones one PC because they're handicapped by a controller. That the game is far more tactical because the games progresses at a slower pace.

Come on man you know better.
comeon.png

RedAssedApe

Banned
hot-take. having the option isn't dumb.

I don't have stats (hence the hot take) but I'd argue most of the player population, pc included aren't pro gamers and the disparity between the player bases isn't going to be that great between the average/casual players. When I used to play skill based twitch shooters on PC like Quake or Unreal, there was a huge range of skill levels. Just like you see in console lobbies.

Games can also easily change the playlists based on community feedback or player population:

• pc only
  • console only
  • pc+console

i.e. if pc gamers are destroying console gamers so no one from console is joining the pc+console playlist. drop that playlist accordingly and those pc players will go back into the first pool. or adjust things based on rank or casual modes.

isn't gears of war 4 on xbox cross play? how does that fare? granted i'm going to assume cliffyb is strictly talking about his game and FPSes.

Ploid 3.0

I still don't understand how m/k isn't natively supported on the PS4 and X1. Would have bought one a long time ago if they did. I mean, higher powered consoles today want to be pcs anyway.

Next gen I just wished the console manufacturers would follow Valve initiative on the simplified control standards.

Long video but good stuff if devs follow it, for consoles and PC, it's not about Steam Controller, but a base for making it easier to use different methods of control easier to allow players to use whatever they want to play a game. 5 Golden Roles of Input as he says at start. https://youtu.be/7I4SiAiKqqk?t=949

You should do something like, "if any game pad's .A was pushed it should do the thing." And by "any game pad" I mean whatever gamepad is controlled according to whether I'm looking for the first one connected, or just player one. Um, but it should also mean any device. So if I got a PS4 controller, the X should mean the "A" button. If it's the Xbox 360 it means the A button. You know, I really mean the bottom face button. So that sort of abstraction make it simpler to deal with multiple devices all at once, with cleaner input code.

he's not wrong in this scenario, personally idc for crossplay but to do people that do well... you can't fault the man for not giving a pc answer.

KB+M vs Gamepad? Sure. Cross-console? Not so much. I get the complications behind it, but I wouldn't call it useless.

EDIT: Yeah OK, based on the article, his arguments are fine in my opinion. I personally believe the GoW4 console/PC crossplay is silly, for a number of reasons.

Budi

We also had many people in these forums arguing against small amount of disabled gamers playing Overwatch with mouse and keyboard because they get "unfair advantage". And now people want PC / console crossplay. Not the same people ofcourse, but it's quite a contrast.

isn't gears of war 4 on xbox cross play? how does that fare? granted i'm going to assume cliffyb is strictly talking about his game and FPSes.

I don't play the game so I don't exactly know what these mean but, "Social Quickplay will now be a Cross-play playlist!" "Core and Competitive will remain platform independent". They say that their test weekend results showed KD ratios and scores to be quite close between platforms, but not close enough to expand it into competitive too. Since they want those matches to be absolutely fair and offer the best experience.

Top Bottom