• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

Just had my system shut down while attempting to access the YouTube channel. Seems like its software, not hardware related. Previously happened earlier today in mii maker and editing users. Not a freeze though, a full shutdown with no blinking light.

Nemesis_

I still get hard locks on my 360 and PS3. >_>

Though I suspect these are software related rather than hardware related.

totowhoa

Banned
I still get hard locks on my 360 and PS3. >_>

Though I suspect these are software related rather than hardware related.

Literally had zero on PS360 and two or three on Wii. I know I'm a weird outlier though. So far so good with Wii U though... Probably put in 3 hours if you count the update

From the sound of what I read of this thread though, this is happening everywhere

Matt

Is there any Nintendo Land save or settings data? Maybe try deleting that to re-initiate an update?

Yep, tried that. No effect. I am incredibly unhappy and have no idea how to procede. If it's a hardware problem, getting a new one from Best Buy will be a bitch until there are more available, AND who knows about transferring what I have already done with this Wii U onto it. If it's a software problem, I have no way of knowing that and no idea when it might be fixed.

And I just want to fucking play this game I have been waiting so long for.

I'm at two for today. First one was ten minutes into Assassins Creed 3. The second was while I was playing 4 player Metroid Blast. What. The. Fuck. The system should not be locking up this much.

I'm not surprised. Nintendo's quality control has taken a major nosedive over the last few years. DS Lite hinges, my Wii console locked up at launch, and then had disc read issues for Smash Bros. Days of the bullet proof Gameboy are long gone. I used to think of Nintendo hardware quality, but not so much anymore.

What troubleshooting have you guys done? If it were me I'd try:

- move the console. Shouldn't really affect it, but interference could play havoc with either the internet connection or the pads connection -- someone in another thread here was getting sub 20ft distances on his gamepad until he moved the console away from some other hardware. To remind you all of the classic, the console certainly shouldn't be sitting on a 'wine cooler'.

- try changing the wireless channel of your router to rule out further inteference / noise problems. You wouldn't expect wireless problems to crash the machine, but perhaps if the OS in the background or certain software is missing some catch for internet drop outs or cruddy data it might...

- a good way to check that would be to remove the internet settings from your machine and observe if the crashes continue

- if you've got an SD card or USB media inserted, remove them and try with other media, or without them entirely.

- check the temperature of the air from the console when it freezes, check that the vents aren't covered up by anything in your entertainment centre

If you get any positive results, it would obviously be a good idea to report back

Is that true?
I didn't have a single problem with my launch 3DS (Pal land).

I had a couple of issues, such as the screen not waking properly from sleep and one or two freezes. This was early on, before even the eShop update though, and updates came quick and fast to fix them.

I'm not surprised. Nintendo's quality control has taken a major nosedive over the last few years. DS Lite hinges, my Wii console locked up at launch, and then had disc read issues for Smash Bros. Days of the bullet proof Gameboy are long gone. I used to think of Nintendo hardware quality, but not so much anymore.

Also the 3DS scratches its top dsiplay when closed ... This stuff is kind of dissapointing.

I guess I'm lucky, I've not experienced this yet. I did see it happen on the Giant Bomb Stream though.

I have a feeling we will be seeing another update soon. I can't imagine the OS taking this long to load apps for any length of time, but who really knows.

remz

I've never had a this gen console hard lock, ps3 or 360. am i weird? .-.

had a DC and an OG xbox explode though

been playing assloads of halo 4 too

Downhome

It has happened to me twice, both at the same moment - I have registered both me and my wife. I would be in my account, click over to log into the one for my wife to she her how to use it, and when I would click back to mine again, it would just sit there on the almost blank loading screen, with no loading icon, and I'd have to power it off then back on.

The first patch just came out yesterday for a new OS that's been rushed out to meet some deadline, there is bound to be bugs. I expect them to fix this issue eventually.

I have only experience one lock so far and it was after patching Nintendoland, the screen just stayed on the Nintendoland main screen looping.

But my Super Nintendo never froze!

dan2026

I love how people's reply to 'The Wii U is shite!' is:

'but the PS3 and 360 are shite too!!'

Absolutely incredible.

I'll be honest, this may sound harsh, but buying a system on launch is just asking for trouble.
360 had RRODs, PS3 had borked ports for about a year (kinda like the WII U come to think).

Early adopting is pointless these days.

moonbox

Banned
I actually think the current update is incomplete, in that, initially the update in December and the update everyone received yesterday were one complete update. I believe, for practicality, they cut the most basic functions from the complete update and released it as seperate for satisfaction of the American consumer. And in doing so created problems where some functions contained within the current update have issues operating without some functions in the later update, which were designed in coordination with one and other.

The only reason that I can see for the next update being released in December - despite Nintendo having more than enough time to test and complete both updates already - is for the fact that the Wii U is released in Japan in December. Equally, this gives Nintendo room to test some functions on a wider scale before releasing them to Japan. Scapegoats it seems.

hwy_61

Banned
Can't wait to hear what Nintendo has to say about all these issues. Where the hell is that kotaku story already?!

NYCrooner

Man, this have been a busy weekend of WiiU threads and not many are positive. This helps me greatly into restraining myself from buying it at launch! (I mean, tks guys!)
Yeah same here but I'm not happy about that. Was looking forward to picking one up but I'm prob gonna hold off this after the holidays or maybe even wait till the first big Mario/Metroid/Zelda game.

jonno394

poor US beta testers...

Fingers crossed, this stuff is ironed out on november 30th...

I'm anticipating we'll get an even bigger patch on day 1 than the US guys got as I anticipate Nintendo will probably look to get another one out for the US guys asap and they'll combine it in to one for us Europeans.

I'm anticipating we'll get an even bigger patch on day 1 than the US guys got as I anticipate Nintendo will probably look to get another one out for the US guys asap and they'll combine it in to one for us Europeans.

I'm okay with this, as long as the issues decrease.

So far, after a full day of playing the system (and even leaving it on for long periods of time), I haven't had any lockup issues. The internet dropped once during the update (but I had too many things on one router in an apartment with slow internet) but beyond that, the family has enjoyed it.

As someone who is a frequent early adopter of tech in general, I understand that there can be problems that will be eventually ironed out but we have to also remember that even tech that is old can lock up and be crappy. That reminds me of the early Windows OS smartphones in the early 2000's that had to be manually reset by the CELL PHONE CARRIER in order for it to work again. Nothing could be done with it until it was reset. (sorry for the rant)

All in all, technology is man made. It's not going to always work perfectly. The family and I are loving the Wii U so far and I'm sorry for everyone who is facing issues with it.

Blueblur1

I had two hard locks yesterday. Both happened when I was exiting Miiverse or some other native app and go back to the main menu. I'm glad I'm not the only one its been happening to. The OS needs a patch for this a.s.a.p.

Limanima

I honestly don't think the system was rushed or undercooked at all. I think they weren't able to stress test anything resembling anything close to a launch. Thus issues have appeared. As for games and the system being "undercooked", exclusive launch games (that aren't getting AAA budgets because they're launch games) and ports aren't the best to judge a system's potential. Wait until there is a game that is purposefully pushing graphics, set pieces, etc and 100% designed for the system. There is no game like that at launch and likely won't even show up until sometime next year. I fully expect there to be more updates to the OS, as there should be. I just hope Nintendo is fast with them so menus load quicker.

Releasing unfinished games, ports or not, are part fo a system rush.
I don't understand why people defend this, Nintendo or not. The custumer should get what he paid for, and that is a problem free device.

C-Drive

Wonder if anyone that didn't have their system connected to the internet has had any freezes yet.

Yep, I've only had one so far thankfully. Just as Nintendoland was leaving a minigame to load up the plaza. Locked on the load screen and had to unplug the power.

bryehn

Happened to me once accessing the system settings for the first time after the update installed. The whole OS is pretty sloppy, IMO.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Mine locked up twice yesterday, but not in a game... it was while it was loading stuff like account creation or system settings from the OS. Music was still in the background, but all I saw was the white screen that usually shows up while its loading stuff... After a few mins of waiting and realizing what has happened, i had to unplug the console... pressing the Power button did nothing.

Hopefully a soon to be released patch will fix this shit.

It hard locked on me while I was trying to get online.... WTF NINTENDO FIX YOUR SHIT. I still have yet to be able to get online. Even creating an NNID was a pain in the ass.

I haven't had a lock yet but playing two player mode with us occasionally playing with adding platforms on the gamepad has had our TV go black for a second or two even though you could still see the game playing on the gamepad.

CREMSteve

This thread makes me sad.

Nintendo was the last bastion for those of us looking for consoles without issues, their systems are normally rock-solid, right from day one.

Its almost as if people have never experienced a console launch before. It really sucks, but this is the risk you take when you buy a console on launch day

iamvin22

Industry Verified
friend of mine picked a unit up from bestbuy. started to download the update but had a power outtage and it bricked his system. good thing he had bestbuy protection service :)

Top Bottom