• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: For Honor campaign is always online.

Coolade

The always online requirement made me wait for a steep price drop on Hitman. For 29.99 like it was on sale for earlier, I can deal with an always online game. Likewise with For Honor, i'll wait for a nice price drop and I'll pick it up. Still disappointing.

Serious question - in this day and age what percentage of people play games with their console offline?

Not saying I agree with their stance but it would have no effect on me personally.

After all the server issues that various games have had, it blows my mind that people still ask this question.

Wensih

Why such a big outcry? Who here on Gaf was actually going to play this game not connected to the internet?

So do I need an internet connection or do I need an internet connection and a membership to XBL or PS+ if I were to buy it for a console? I'm currently unable/unwilling to play Dark Souls III and Bloodborne online because of the latter scenario.

Gamezone

Gold Member
We don't have any real confirmation yet, but I wouldn't put it past Ubi.

What I don't understand though, is why people are defending Ubi for lying. I don't see how that's justified at all.

Did you think they would release a statement out of the blue? At best we might get one now, if media picks this up.

LOL at the comments in this thread. This is a multiplayer game, that is 90% of the focus of this game. It was revealed firstly as a multiplayer game. Do people actually buy Call of Duty just for the single player? That basically be the same thing.

I mean GAF loses its shit when fighting games don't have single player. Does this surprise you?

Tagyhag

Did you think they would release a statement out of the blue? At best we might get one now, if media picks this up.

No, but all I got to go by is you bolding some words.

I'm not calling you a liar (this IS Ubi we're talking about after all) but I can't just take everything at face value.

BigEmil

I wanted this game to do well so Ubi makes more games like this not just shooters which are all very successful from them

I think what bothers me more is them saying it could be played offline, and then now it's not like that. Plus, with server issues being a thing, this is not a viable solution and causes too many headaches.

I don't blame em, piracy is a pain and they do what they think is best. I just never understand people that complain about this. Don't buy the game and get something else. If electricity goes out and you are the type that freaks out i mean cmon just go outside get some air. If your travelling just do something else. This is the world we live in now, things are going online all the time. I was a diablo 3 addict, when power went out i did something else.

I love this cute little way of snuffing discussion. People give reasons and other dudes are saying "LOL GO PLAY SOMETHING ELSE WHY COMPLAIN?". Maybe those people like the product but don't like having to be online? There are tons of reasons and telling people to "go do something else" is hilariously silly. We are the consumer. We have a right to point out things we don't like. It's not gonna harm anyone in doing so.

I don't blame em, piracy is a pain and they do what they think is best. I just never understand people that complain about this. Don't buy the game and get something else. If electricity goes out and you are the type that freaks out i mean cmon just go outside get some air. If your travelling just do something else. This is the world we live in now, things are going online all the time. I was a diablo 3 addict, when power went out i did something else.

Wensih

Serious question - in this day and age what percentage of people play games with their console offline?

Not saying I agree with their stance but it would have no effect on me personally.

In August I moved to a house with no ethernet ports in the bedrooms and couldn't connect to steam for a week, couldn't play games on my steam account for a week. There was a work around, put steam in offline mode before moving, but I was a bit preoccupied, you know, packing to move... not having access to my library for that week creates doubts about having to always be connected to the internet to access anything. This isn't an argument about digital distribution of games. I'm fine with a compact HDD that stores my games or a storefront backup to download anything, but when I cannot access things or activate things that have been purchased it becomes extremely questionable, especially when a company can close down shop and turn the game off whenever they please.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why such a big outcry? Who here on Gaf was actually going to play this game not connected to the internet?

sweet-billy-adam-orth1.jpg

Gamezone

Gold Member
No, but all I got to go by is you bolding some words.

I'm not calling you a liar (this IS Ubi we're talking about after all) but I can't just take everything at face value.

The message was from UbiJurassic at their official forums. Community Representative as title.

Preorder canceled. Oh wait i didn't pre-order. Well i would have pre-ordered if they had shown anything other than multiplayer.

If there actually is a fully fleshed out campaign that for all intents and purposes could be played alone, yet is always online in spite of that, that's when we have problems

They have showed a campaign at E3, one Viking and one Knight mission.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Piracy is almost dead on PC.

Imagine in 4 years when the servers will go offline and some poor sap finds this game in the bargain bin thinking he'll get a fun single player campaign only to find out ubisoft slapping him across the face with their *****.

gtfo with this always online crap for singleplayer games, there is no excuse to justify this.

Total bollocks, there's no excuse for this anti consumer wankery.

Honestly changes the game from a day one purchase to 'maybe if it's in the bargain bin for less than ten quid' for me.

There's more than enough fantastic games out there that I can happily ignore For Honour entirely for this, regardless of how cool I think it looks.

Inuhanyou

Sadly, i think they may have been bolstered by moderate successes in The Crew and EA's own crack at always online Need for Speed.

If people enable this behavior through sales it will on only grow. This can't stand.

They will do what they are doing here and always online all their franchises so they dont even have a true single player component to begin with

wamberz1

Why not just do what hitman did and let you play without unlocks or whatever, and then just sync everything up next time you connect? I see no reason for this, it's purely nonsensical.

Tigress

Servers go down and every now and then your internet may drop because of maintenance or some outage. In both cases it means that you can no longer play an always-online game in any form while if either happens you can at the very least still play the single player in the majority of other games.

Not to mention Ubisoft can now control if you get to play the game you paid for. They no longer want to support the servers? Say goodbye to the game. Even the part that did not need online to enjoy other than for their drm.

Oh, and think they will have incentive to discontinue server support when conveniently they have a new For Honor 2 coming out hey want you to buy? This makes planned obsolescence so much easier. No longer do they have to convince you the new game is so much better. You like the game you'll pay to play the new one or not at all. Oh, too bad here was stuff you liked better about the old game.

People really should not be so complacent about ignoring moves like this. It's one thing when by necessity the game really needs online like a multiplayer game.

MUnited83

For you.
Honestly, I think this is good because people that just want single player will possibly avoid it now. Having played the MP for a while, I can't imagine the SP will be nothing short a bad tacked-on mess. This is definitely a very multiplayer centric game and people looking for a single player experience will likely be disappointed .

It worked okay for Hitman. Just saying.
Hitman had a offline mode since day one, however faulty it may be. You could finish the whole game in offline mode.

Inuhanyou

Maybe if a bunch of nerds getting angry on a gaming forum had any real influence on sales. Whether For Honor succeeds or fails, it won't be because of its online single player

This kind of mindset was also thrown about when XB1's original vision was floated. "Nobody cares about what nerds on the internet say!".

If you just act like nothing matters, then nothing will matter. If people make a ruckus, someone will listen 50% of the time.

We're still talking about the amount of control and ownership we have over our products that we buy at full price. Its a legitimate fight o have.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why not just do what hitman did and let you play without unlocks or whatever, and then just sync everything up next time you connect? I see no reason for this, it's purely nonsensical.

Because they can't monitor your behavior offline.

scitek

As soon as the servers are taken down, the game will be unplayable. Some of us like to go back and replay games years after they've been released.

britt0n

Neo Member
Why does it matter? Not trying to be cynical but isn't your Xbox or PS4 already connected to the internet? Why would sitting in your home connected to the internet make you not want to play a game?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Why does it matter? Not trying to be cynical but isn't your Xbox or PS4 already connected to the internet? Why would sitting in your home connected to the internet make you not want to play a game?

Many have answered this. Read the thread.

Barakov

Gold Member
Well, that's a damn shame. Looks like I'm passing on this one.

britt0n said:
hy does it matter? Not trying to be cynical but isn't your Xbox or PS4 already connected to the internet? Why would sitting in your home connected to the internet make you not want to play a game?

I'd rather play the single player part of the game on my terms not on Ubisoft's.

As someone who lives not far from Blackberg this dude needs to be seriously slapped.

All that being said, with aata caps and everything else that the internet companies are trying to pull on us, always on from game companies is a crappy crappy deal unless there is a legit reason. This seems like a BS reason at best.

It doesn't affect me since I am purchasing the game primarily for the multiplayer but that's still very unfortunate for those who don't have an internet connection or live in an area with connection issues.

13ruce

Banned
Well that's a pass for sure. If i wanna play the singleplayer 10 years later when the online server gets shut down then tough luck.

Thats why i do not support always online singleplayer campaigns. Who in the heck would support that. Servers down=rip replays.

Top Bottom