• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CrowbCat: Dark Souls 2 downgrade full comparison

nkarafo

I like how the developer goes on about that room where you need the torch to see and in the finished game the room is already lit due to the generic lighting and lack of shadows. So basically the downgrade actually affects gameplay here.

While the lighting was an incredibly obvious downgrade, I can't help but feel like we got much better texture work than what was originally shown.

N3DS

It was a shame really. Does the definitive version (scholar of the first sin) fix all the lighting downgrade?

The dynamic lighting is the one that hurts the worst. Imagine the atmosphere with the dynamic lighting from having to actually USE the torch.

Such a missed opportunity.

ocean

Banned
giphy.gif

This video is a bit late to the party no?

Blam

Hello? He does understand nobody is playing this now right? They all play DSIII. Lol Crowbcat you need to step up your game.

It still hurts. The game was clearly designed with the lighting system in mind and turning it off is like playing Half-Life 2 in fullbright mode.

Also, Scholar of the First Sin should've reimplemented it on consoles and PC users should've had it the whole time if the older gen hardware was the issue.

I'm going to be honest right now:

Being forced to use a torch in Dark Souls 2 would have sucked.

It would have been as fun as struggling to play DOOM 3 for the first time without a flash light mod. The game would have became notorious for its artificial difficulty caused by its reliance on the torch.

While the lighting was an incredibly obvious downgrade, I can't help but feel like we got much better texture work than what was originally shown.

Maybe in some cases, arguably, but in others? Definitely not!

Like look at the ground tiling when he looks down off the walkway in the area with the fire and basilisks. Looks crap. Plus all the missing debris etc in the opening area.

This was one of the worst downgrades I've ever seen, but I still played and enjoyed the game so what can you do.

Blam

I'm going to be honest right now:

Being forced to use a torch in Dark Souls 2 would have sucked.

It would have been as fun as struggling to play DOOM 3 for the first time without a flash light mod. The game would have became notorious for its artificial difficulty caused by its reliance on the torch.

Yeah and I'm pretty sure the devs knew that. Dark Souls II would have been a different game with this lighting system and frankly I don't like it.

AlexBasch

Got through the game once and never replayed it.

Hell, didn't care about Dark Souls 3 either, been sitting in my XB1. Dunno why I even bought it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's kinda funny seeing the reaction of many people when their favorite developer FROM Software pulled this kind of shit.

Though they released Bloodborne afterwards so I guess all is forgiven XD

Renekton

It's kinda funny seeing the reaction of many people when their favorite developer FROM Software pulled this kind of shit.
There is also the Mario Lost Levels backlash when a developer subverts mechanical expectations FROM the first game.

"Dude this is BS, Dark Souls is supposed to be 1v1"

GrizzNKev

Banned
does this dude do anything other than attack game developers? he really has to reach back like four years just to find something for us to be mad about? From have admitted their mistakes and made two more souls games since then, move the fuck on

Blam

does this dude do anything other than attack game developers? he really has to reach back like four years just to find something for us to be mad about? From have admitted their mistakes and made two more souls games since then, move the fuck on

I mean this is what he's know for the cherry picker of gaming footage.

HeelPower

Imagine Dark Souls 2 tedium with added 0 visibility.

It was a terrible design choice that needed to go away.

And lets not forget that Dark Souls 2 came out PS360. Lighting and particle effects were impossible.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
lol, really? 3 years and 2 new games later?

NEVA

#NeverForget

/s

People who defended FROM and CDPR with DS2 and Witcher 3 for their respective obvious and huge downgrades will never not blow my mind. The games may have ended up fine (more than fine with Witcher 3), but it's still scummy business practice to have this massive downgrade but keep it hush hush.

Witcher 3's wasn't as bad because I don't believe it was ever playable by the press (just shown in two major trailers I believe), but DS2 was completely playable and only yanked right before release. Yeah performance is important, but then why the fuck was it yanked on PC too?

You can love a game and the company that made it, but you should always call out shitty business practices. You have no obligation to die on a hill for every single shitty decision a company makes.

Blam

I honestly thought we'd be done with him after he put a racist 4chan-style joke in one of his videos

Well it's been known that he has posted on /v/ before so I can't be surprised if he also avidly goes to the other ones as well.

Very disappointed that he had to do that but it happened and I still don't see why we bother with him.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Are you sure that CrowbCat's intention is to "attack" FROM Software? Probably he just found the stark difference between what was promised and what was delivered as comedic.

And besides, FROM Software deserved the flak they got from that bait and switch. Heck, they even used the pre-downgrade stuff in the game's various promotions--that's just downright dirty.

Gin-Shiio

And lets not forget that Dark Souls 2 came out PS360. Lighting and particle effects were impossible.

The possibility of the technical feat is questionable, but why are you so quick to dismiss the torch mechanic? Back when it was shown to us, I was incredibly excited to play through real darkness in a world full of danger. It would have added a layer of horror to the experience it turns out I would never find in DSII or any of its sequels. Not to mention, it would have encouraged usage of different weapons, which is never a bad thing.

I don't think the lighting was necessarily a bad idea. It's not like every area in the game would have been dark.

You are quite right about the PS360 choking on the lighting (they struggled enough with the released game!) but they didn't have to gut the entire lighting system for the PC release. Even still, I can understand that it can be a difficult position and From aren't exactly known for being technical maestro's.

What IS inexcusable about the whole thing is being totally silent about it, and trying to pass off the totally misleading footage as being representative of the game until just before release. But is this more of a publisher thing?

daman824

People who defended FROM and CDPR with DS2 and Witcher 3 for their respective obvious and huge downgrades will never not blow my mind. The games may have ended up fine (more than fine with Witcher 3), but it's still scummy business practice to have this massive downgrade but keep it hush hush.

Witcher 3's wasn't as bad because I don't believe it was ever playable by the press (just shown in two major trailers I believe), but DS2 was completely playable and only yanked right before release. Yeah performance is important, but then why the fuck was it yanked on PC too?

You can love a game and the company that made it, but you should always call out shitty business practices. You have no obligation to die on a hill for every single shitty decision a company makes.
Witcher 3 also wasn't as bad because it still was the best looking open world game released at the time by a good margin.

Dark souls 2 looked horrible in some areas

GrizzNKev

Banned
Is it even possible to archieve those levels of detail on current gen consoles?

Why are you even here my friend? Derail or just complain?

Are you sure that CrowbCat's intention is to "attack" FROM Software? Probably he just found the stark difference between what was promised and what was delivered as comedic.

And besides, FROM Software deserved the flak they got from that bait and switch. Heck, they even used the pre-downgrade stuff in the game's various promotions--that's just downright dirty.

idk y'all maybe I just find the incessant and excessive pointing and laughing at both game developers who make mistakes and game players who aren't good at games exhausting and in poor taste. I'll go away if I'm ruining your anger nostalgia

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's been years since the game has released and multiple From releases after the fact. This is only there to stir the pot because this exact same style of video already exists.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
idk y'all maybe I just find the incessant and excessive pointing and laughing at both game developers who make mistakes and game players who aren't good at games exhausting and in poor taste. I'll go away if I'm ruining your anger nostalgia

Lol dude, the only one angry in here is you :p

It's been years since the game has released and multiple From releases after the fact. This is only there to stir the pot because this exact same style of video already exists.

I don't know man, I don't get the vibe of him trying to "attack" FROM Software. It's like his Ubisoft downgrade video, it's just fun and funny to watch. And nah, it's not going to "stir the pot" because as you said, it's been years and no one gave a fuck anymore, basically--I can see that he's or she's doing it just for fun.

GHG

Features get cut in software development. Sometimes there are reasons these things can happen other than "they were trying to trick us!!!11!".

AlexBasch

I don't see it as an attack, I like his videos
Except that thing from the Assassin's Creed 4chan racist joke bit, of course
because of the cherry picking, actually. It's great editing and I always laugh my ass off with his stuff. If that video of the E3 2017 is considered an "attack", he can nuclear bomb the gaming industry then.

Here's hoping he fucked up really bad with the AC thing, of course. If it happens again, well, we'll know it wasn't a slip up.

Sou Da

I don't see it as an attack, I like his videos
Except that thing from the Assassin's Creed 4chan racist joke bit, of course
because of the cherry picking, actually. It's great editing and I always laugh my ass off with his stuff. If that video of the E3 2017 is considered an "attack", he can nuclear bomb the gaming industry then.

Here's hoping he fucked up really bad with the AC thing, of course. If it happens again, well, we'll know it wasn't a slip up.

Honestly I hopped off his videos with the Halo one, it was political attack ad levels of framing a story and selective cherrypicking.

Like you can tell he was mad the whole time he was editing it.

e3.gif

He doesnt attack anyone. Also there is nothing wrong with a nostalgia trip.

See shit posted about old games all the time here.

Also the AC thing gets tired. Its the new "Why does Angry Joe gets his own thread?".

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Features get cut in software development. Sometimes there are reasons these things can happen other than "they were trying to trick us!!!11!".

Uhh, but they did use pre-downgrade stuff in various promotional materials though :p

Though maybe it's more Bandai Namco than FROM.

Kalentan

I don't know man, I don't get the vibe of him trying to "attack" FROM Software. It's like his Ubisoft downgrade video, it's just fun and funny to watch. And nah, it's not going to "stir the pot" because as you said, it's been years and no one gave a fuck anymore, basically--I can see that he's or she's doing it just for fun.

I mean he does just straight up attack developers.

His Bungie vs 343i video was literally all about how 343i is this awful terrible company and how the people working there are awful while making Bungie out to be this perfect company.

It was cherry picking to the max and wasn't funny. Just incredibly mean spirited.

AlexBasch

Honestly I hopped off his videos with the Halo one, it was political attack ad levels of framing a story and selective cherrypicking.

Like you can tell he was mad the whole time he was editing it.
Ah. Didn't watch that one since I don't play Halo and have no idea about the Bungie-343i deal, but I'll take your word for it.

Lmao it's been 3 years and people still want to play Dark Souls 2 in the dark. Just turn your brightness down if you want pre-downgrade.

Top Bottom