• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Release Window: Mid 2017

http://studiomdhr.com/cuphead-coming-mid-2017-2/

Hey everyone, we wanted to finish our game 80 years after 1936 but it will now be 81.

Throughout this year we discussed reducing the scope to make a 2016 release, but we made the difficult decision to delay the launch in order to ship with our vision intact. We are happy to announce that Cuphead will be coming to Xbox One, Windows 10 and Steam in Mid-2017.

We are constantly humbled by your continued support. Love you all and can’t wait to get this to you. Without further ado, we will get back to work!

Draw me like a 20's cartoon villain if old.

Granjinha

2017 is going to be so fucking amazing.

Anyway, take should take all the time they need. Hope they flesh out the non-bosses areas, they looked a bit weak in videos.

Wow wtf is going on with this game. Looks greta but every delay has my excitement toned down. This is why games, indie games especially, shouldn't be announced until they are within the year of their release. Just as an overall wish for the community.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Really excited for this game. Hope they improve or remove the platforming levels as right now they look significantly less fun than the boss battles.
Are they adding actual stages? It was basically a boss rush type game before right?
we've known this for a while

Granjinha

Wow wtf is going on with this game. Looks greta but every delay has my excitement toned down. This is why games, indie games especially, shouldn't be announced until they are within the year of their release. Just as an overall wish for the community.

game development takes time? The game was significantly smaller in scope so they announced it with that in mind, but then they got funding from MS

it's not really that hard to understand

Honestly, I'm bummed. But if it makes the game not suck or be a void (like a certain procedural...) I'm fine with it. I've got enough to keep me busy for a long, long, long time.

Can't pretend I'm not a little disappointed, but I'd rather they took as much time as they need and the game is as good as possible.

Granjinha

Sucks but is Below still coming out this year?

nope

http://www.capybaragames.com/2016/08/a-short-announcement-about-below/

Instead of giving you a new, loose release window, we will be going dark while we take the time that we need to complete BELOW without compromise. The next time you see a major BELOW update, that means our game has a firm release date, which we’ll share.

Was this a kickstarter thing?

nope

malfcn

I'm confused.

The original vision was less want it? They discussed making more than a rush mode game and it's been awhile now.

I feel like this game has been delayed 2-3 years.

The art direction is awesome. I wonder if they have been trying to build game play around that style. Have to have substance with all that style.

game development takes time? The game was significantly smaller in scope so they announced it with that in mind, but then they got funding from MS

Its very hard to understand. Dont announce something until its close to being ready, you just annoy people when this happens. Duke Nukem, Last Guardian, etc. Next comment, this isn't Last Guardian.......

krae_man

Dev: *Shows trailer*

Internet: OMG Steamboat Willie Megaman gimmie!

Dev: Actually it's a boss rush shmup

Internet :Boo hiss!

Dev: Fuck!

Granjinha

I'm confused.

The original vision was less? They added to that scope and didn't want to cut anything?

I feel like this game has been delayed 2-3 years.

The art direction is awesome. I wonder if they have been trying to build game play around that style. Have to have substance with all that style.

here:

Its very hard to understand. Dont announce something until its close to being ready, you just annoy people when this happens. Duke Nukem, Last Guardian, etc. Next comment, this isn't Last Guardian.......

no it really isn't, only if you're being intentionally obtuse, game development is a messy thing and quality stuff takes time. Also, like i said, the game was smaller in scope but they got outside funding, messing up their release schedule.

remember when this was revealed at E3 2014 and it said "coming in 2015!"

remember when they showed it at E3 2015 and said "Coming 2016!"

remember when its October and said "Coming 2017!"

also remember when fuckin' idiots asked for platforming so they added a bunch of boring ass platforming sections so the game can delayed even further

good job, everybody invovled

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I understand that making games takes time, but I would guess that most people are already waaaaay past caring at this point. It still looks cool, but I haven't been excited about Cuphead since 2014. It's a good example of revealing a game way too soon.

LeleSocho

Banned
i hope this delay give them time to add a Chromatic Aberration toggle, as fascinating as it looks because of CA it's almost unbearable to watch.

Was this a kickstarter thing?
MS funded the project.
They need time to remove the filler shite.
They are taking their time making sure the filler is well made.
I understand that making games takes time, but I would guess that most people are already waaaaay past caring at this point. It still looks cool, but I haven't been excited about Cuphead since 2014. It's a good example of revealing a game way too soon.

Things change. Nobody was too enthused about this game just being a boss rush game.

remember when this was revealed at E3 2014 and it said "coming in 2015!"

remember when they showed it at E3 2015 and said "Coming 2016!"

remember when its October and said "Coming 2017!"

also remember when fuckin' idiots asked for platforming so they added a bunch of boring ass platforming sections so the game can delayed even further

good job, everybody invovled

I member

1anzda.jpg

Still hyped for it. Still day one. There's enough shit releasing every week for people who own multiple platforms so its all good.

jelly

There didn't look a lot to it except for the art style so if they are adding more, all the better, take your time.

I was totally okay with it being a boss rush game. Now, I'm worried that the platforming sections may be tedious, so I'm fine with the delay if it means they can improve those. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I was just wondering about this game yesterday and tried looking into any release information. I'm glad some news is out, but it truly has become a sort of "Did Cuphead drop yet?!" situation.

Not that that means I'm any less excited for it, now to mid 2017's got more than enough already.

Sorcerer

The platforming stage they revealed was kinda lame. Its a shame the game is being held up for that reason.
They should have released it as originally intended. Save more ambitious ideas for the next title.
It obvious by how much painstaking work they put into the original idea, that the platforming levels are going to be tacked on without the same scope or ambition.
I bet all this extra work on the platforming levels would have only equaled one or two extra boss fights had they concentrated on that, but that would have been worth it at least.

Disappointed to see a few people ragging on the game here, they are a small studio trying to do something very different and the process is very time consuming.

Take as long as you need and put out a game your proud of.

Top Bottom