• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega PC ports campaign continues with petition (Vanquish, Bayonetta, VF5)

Oh, so some random port beggars are the same as actual committed and loyal fans who got screwed over again and again...

Sorry, what did you call me? You have no idea what you are talking about. Bayonetta is one of my favorite games of all time and having it perform and look as good as it deserves to on a PC is much more important than you playing Yakuza 5 in English (<-this is not hyperbole. At all).

By the way, I would play Vanquish with my left hand on my DS3 analog stick and my right hand on my PC mouse. That's how the game was meant to be played, and it would be glorious. I actually did that for aiming sub-weapons in Rising. It worked perfectly.

Edit: To clarify - some people seem to think that this campaign is about some strawman cheap-ass PC gamers not wanting to purchase a console and thus are port begging to get the game on their One System™. Now, call me crazy if I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet that a substantial amount of people asking for this have, much like myself, already bought and played these games on console. This isn't about port begging, this is about these games being the best they can be as well as future backwards compatibility and hardware scalability.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
You can, just need to download and install the new client

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/pc/DownloadClient

Cheers, I had already noticed that and was in the middle of trying to get it there now. (me saying the above made me take another look) Install the client and get this on Launch

J1v5wyU.jpg

GFWL, fucking shit up even when it's dying.

Sorry, what did you call me? You have no idea what you are talking about. Bayonetta is one of my favorite games of all time and having it perform and look as good as it deserves to on a PC is much more important than you playing Yakuza 5 in English (<-this is not hyperbole. At all).

By the way, I would play Vanquish with my left hand on my DS3 analog stick and my right hand on my PC mouse. That's how the game was meant to be played, and it would be glorious. I actually did that for aiming sub-weapons in Rising. It worked perfectly.

I won't lie, right now I'd take a localised in english Yakuza 5 over most things games wise, but the more games and genres brought to the PC the better I say! :)

Anteater

It actually feels like I've never aimed much in vanquish :lol I remember too busy dodging shit in that game most of the time

TaroYamada

Tweet these publications:

Please target @joystiq @eurogamer and @shoryukendotcom

Your tweets should look something like this and direct them to our Kotaku story:

UzTEyTl.jpg

Feel free to retweet this but it's preferred you create your own.

If you want copy and paste my tweet: @targets please report on NeoGAF's #segapcports effort http://kotaku.com/petition-we-want-more-sega-games-like-bayonetta-on-1508032169

Tronlight wanted a tweet at Inaba, this is what I did. He's not a high priority target because he cannot do anything without SEGA but I want him aware of this.

Anteater

If this works can we do Dragon's Dogma next?

I'm surprised there isn't already one for DD, but I remember Sven from Capcom already acknowledged the demand back in the days between the 2 DD (vanilla and Dark Arisen) releases, and tried to push the idea to Capcom (Japan?) but it kept getting shot down.

Grief.exe

Dragon's Dogma not being on PC is one of the more strange things I have seen. That's saying something, Japanese publishers make nonsensical decisions almost constantly

Im_Special

I'm surprised there isn't already one for DD, but I remember Sven from Capcom already acknowledged the demand back in the days between the 2 DD (vanilla and Dark Arisen) releases, and tried to push the idea to Capcom (Japan?) but it kept getting shot down.

That's true but a internet campaign along with a petition might turn some heads over at Capcom, when Sven acknowledged the demand there were probably just a handful of vocal forum posters.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Log into Xbox.com and see if you have to accept a new terms of service agreement.

If that was aimed at me already done it but no dice. I'm pretty certain it's just the client/GFWL being shite.

Dragon's Dogma not being on PC is one of the more strange things I have seen. That's saying something, Japanese publishers make nonsensical decisions almost constantly

Maybe to do with the servers that they use for uploading the pawns too ? They may not fancy supporting that on PC. Literally the only reason I can think of.

Peff

Another direction that may be worth a go is asking Koei for their PC games. Dynasty Warriors 7 is on Steam in China, and it'd be great to have the Romance of the Three Kingdoms strategy series for sale on current digital platforms, especially since they're already translated. But yeah, one step at a time.

TaroYamada

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I would honestly prefer getting the game over that 'feature.'

It's absolutely not a vital feature to be able to get pawns because you create your own any way and they improve as you do. Plus you meet other characters in the game world too. It's just to let you use your friends pawns/peoples pawns from around the world.

It's really the only reason I can think of but it's not one that it REALLY needs. It wouldn't be the same as, say, removing Dark Souls online mode.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
If they're going to do something PC port related, I'd love nothing more than for them to re-release OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast with proper force feedback support and fully restore the online mp functionality. Howard Casto, the gentlemen from the BYOAC forums, was working on modding the game to support these features, but unfortunately he's lost interest and has moved on to other things :(

Grief.exe

Found this on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNlHllcZ248#t=64

If they're going to do something PC port related, I'd love nothing more than for them to re-release OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast with proper force feedback support and fully restore the online mp functionality. Howard Casto, the gentlemen from the BYOAC forums, was working on modding the game to support these features, but unfortunately he's lost interest and has moved on to other things :(

They lost the Ferrari licence so that would take a bit more work than you think.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

You buy Sega the Ferrari license for a long term period and you never know.

Found this on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNlHllcZ248#t=64

They lost the Ferrari licence so that would take a bit more work than you think.

For the original 1986 OutRun, it was quite easy for them to alter the Ferrari sprite and shake off the license (which they did multiple times), but for Outrun 2 a lot more work in involved. There are too many car models to redesign. The same thing happened with Sega Rally too. Revo was also pulled from Steam because the licensing expired for all the different rally cars involved. Daytona is also a hard game to bring back, as they have to keep renewing the license. Though they do have Sega Racing Classic:

sega-racing-classic.jpg

Which is just Daytona USA without the licensing and different music that removes all the Daytona lyrics.This arcade version actually runs on a Windows PC as well, so it would be quite easy for Sega to port. I would love to see this one get a Steam release.

Grief.exe

Twitter blowing up right now with retweets from the Shenmue network.

minor, but

I thought it was The Last Story? not Ys? Though Ys was supposed to successful.

Not exactly a definitive statement, could very well be Last Story.

Dice, who had worked with Steam before, helped connect XSEED to Valve for Ys Origin and Ys: The Oath in Felghana, which quickly became two of XSEED’s biggest sellers ever. Good news for anyone looking forward to SC. If the Ys games hadn’t sold, “Trails wouldn’t have happened,” Dice told me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744214

Uthred

Signed, though Virtua Fighter 5 seems like an odd choice given as its relatively unpopular on consoles (or anywhere outside Japan really)

Grief.exe

If you guys want, tweet Joystiq, Eurogamer, RPS, etc to get some news coverage going!

I updated the tweet targets post, if you don't want to craft your own tweet please just tweet the targets with a copy and paste of mine:

@targets please report on NeoGAF's #segapcports effort http://kotaku.com/petition-we-want-more-sega-games-like-bayonetta-on-1508032169

Me and Grief absolutely need assistance on this aspect of the campaign, thanks in advance for your contributions.

If you absolutely do not want to create your own tweet, retweet mine:
Joystiq
EuroGamer
Shoryuken

I lost my Bayonetta save while playing it on Climax difficulty, I'd love for another reason to play it again. I also have 3 friends that I know would buy Bayonetta if they saw it on Steam.

Siiiigned!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I lost my Bayonetta save while playing it on Climax difficulty, I'd love for another reason to play it again. I also have 3 friends that I know would buy Bayonetta if they saw it on Steam.

Siiiigned!

I'd like it if they at least unlocked Hard at the start. Having to go through Normal and Hard again to get back to Climax after losing a save is a little tedious.

Synth

Yeah but I was thinking of the exact same thing, it's sad Yakuza is not doing well in the west and it could use a broader audience and it's far less console oriented. Sleeping Dogs, genre-wise a very distant relative I must admit but theme wise a lot closer, did well on the PC. On the other hand it is actually kinda hard to see Bayo and Vanquish doing well, they are completely designed around the controller and Binary Domain should serve as an example sales wise.

I know localizing is far more expensive but this is just a blind port begging. We are talking about games that are already perfect on consoles and leaving out the one that matters.

I'm sorry, but wtf am I reading here?

Vanquish is a bad idea because it's completely designed around the controller but fucking YAKUZA isn't? A mouse is perfectly suited to aiming, and the keyboard would handle all other actions just fine (possibly better than a joypad even), meanwhile Yakuza has a hand-to-hand combat system and that's supposed to be a better fit? Seriously?

And Binary Domain is supposed to show us how doomed Vanquish would be, whilst something like DmC doesn't indicate that you probably could sell Bayonetta? Meanwhile Sleeping Dogs makes you so confident that Yakuza will not only perform better, but to such an extent that it justifies the costly localisation vs two games that already have their engine ported to the platform, and one where the game itself already runs on the platform? You've got to be kidding me...

I'd like to see Yakuza, Valkyria Chronicles, Outrun, Shenmue, Daytona, Panzer Dragoon and a long ass list of Sega franchises hit the PC also, but coming in here to shit on the campaign because the game you want (which btw isn't "the only one that matters") wasn't chosen to lead is disgusting imo. There are good reasons for why the three chosen games makes sense, and they've been made clear numerous times. If you don't want to sign, then don't... but you need to take your negativity elsewhere.

akaoni

Banned
It didn't even cross my mind that MGR would now make these ports easier. Does VF's arcade cabinet use typical PC hardware?

Hope the support keeps up!

Both were a factor, but the move to PSP is definitely what caused it to fail. VC2 is commonly regarded as the weakest entry out of the three main games, the gameplay was solid but the story and characters were far less memorable and the team clearly struggled with the limitations of the PSP. It still got great reviews though. The PSN store thing is really unfortunate, I'm not sure what the problem is there, I've asked Sega repeatedly about that. That's really costing them sales (VC2 costs a mere 10$, but PS Vita owners can't buy it without using a PS3 in the US).

Due to this campaign I ended up starting the original VC again, that's sure been a while. Maybe I should try making a video to support the call for a PC version of the game, if there's any interest in that. I took some screenshots, and looking at them I think the game would really benefit a lot from higher resolutions and AA. The art style is still something unique though, the PSP sequels never managed to replicate that.

valkyriachronicles720r1o4q.jpg

Has anyone ever gotten an answer about that, just seems weird since it is already compatible and allowing to appear on the store doesn't look like it would take much effort, especially for more sales opportunities.

Just seeing that screen shot reminds me what a great and interesting engine the CANVAS was...would really appreciate that it got more use or if a PC port would actually happen. (that and of course VC3 localize, etc.)

SEGA was rather happy with initial sales of FS on digital services.

SEGA also held a few VF5FS tournaments post release.

It's basically off the shelf hardware.
Looking through that site reminded me that lightgun games are a dead genre and I'll probably never get to play Virtua Cop 3 again.

Back on-topic though, have any game devs or anyone with porting experience actually chimed in on how easy it would actually be for Platinum to port those two games just because Rising was ported and it shares the same engine? Maybe JP could comment if we're all really off base.

I have no idea how that stuff works but I assume that they make tweaks to their own engine over time, along with game specific tweaks. Rising was one of their most recent games, and Vanquish and Bayonetta are two of their oldest.

In the credits of Rising, I saw that the PC port team was actually pretty small, just about a dozen people. But we have no idea how long they were working, or how many people it would take to complete ports of Bayo and Vanquish in a timely fashion.

Just thinking out loud here.

Hypron

I'm sorry, but wtf am I reading here?

Vanquish is a bad idea because it's completely designed around the controller but fucking YAKUZA isn't? A mouse is perfectly suited to aiming, and the keyboard would handle all other actions just fine (possibly better than a joypad even), meanwhile Yakuza has a hand-to-hand combat system and that's supposed to be a better fit? Seriously?

Yeah. The most important move in Sam's arsenal (the roll) only works in 4 directions: it'd work perfectly on a keyboard. Furthermore, the game on a pad requires heavy usage of the face buttons which either requires you to jump back a forth between the right stick and the face buttons or to use the claw. Playing on a keyboard would completely fix that. I've got no doubt that the game would work even better on a keyboard and mouse.

Grief.exe

Yeah. The most important move in Sam's arsenal (the roll) only works in 4 directions: it'd work perfectly on a keyboard. Furthermore, the game on a pad requires heavy usage of the face buttons which either requires you to jump back a forth between the right stick and the face buttons or to use the claw. Playing on a keyboard would completely fix that. I've got no doubt that the game would work even better on a keyboard and mouse.

Sounds perfect for M/KB to me.

Top Bottom