• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

Pezking

Dualshock: Great, still my favorite controller. Please add the Vita d-Pad.
Touchpad: Why not.
Share button: Couldn't care less about that feature.

I'm sure it's been discussed, but what are people's thoughts on using the touch pad for mouse like control in shooting games. If they can get latency to a minimum I think it could work really well. One problem I see though is the right stick getting in the way of it. Anyone have any bright ideas on how this could be alleviated?

AkIRA_22

quKQ9.jpg

Concave and asymmetric sticks are a must. As is sorting out L/R2. The touch is interesting and I like it's not a screen, which means my focus is on my 55" 2500 dollar TV screen and not the low def restive touch piece of shit attached to my control pad.

However I have no faith Sony will rearrange the sticks, the current lay out is part of their DNA. I feel they will be too stubborn, they will think it will be seen as a defeat, while consumers will see it as common sense.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I'm sure it's been discussed, but what are people's thoughts on using the touch pad for mouse like control in shooting games. If they can get latency to a minimum I think it could work really well. One problem I see though is the right stick getting in the way of it. Anyone have any bright ideas on how this could be alleviated?

I can't imagine playing an fps on my laptop's touchpad, much less using it with my thumb on a controller.

I suppose it could be used for an analogue grenade throw. Larger swipe to throw further, smaller movement for a lighter throw.i dunno

UrbanRats

Those triggers are garbage, triggers in general are shit actually, but the 360 ones are far better than those stick on ones.

What I'd like are triggers with actual resistance on them, for driving games mostly.

Totally agree, same goes for the analogs, the 360's pose more resistance and feel sturdier, which in games like SKATE (and shooters) is essential.
After having played Skate 1 and 2 on 360 (and 3's demo) i tried Skate 3 on ps3 and it was just an awful experience, because of the Dualshock terrible convex loose sticks.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Also needs concave sticks. They lock your thumb in place. Convex sticks are the dumbest thing ever on a controller. The shape forces your thumb to slide which means you have to apply more pressure.

Duffyside

Banned
Any person making controller mockups wanna do me a solid?

Make the face buttons colored, with the shape being black? So green triangle button with black triangle symbol, red circle, blue cross, and yellow square (the pink/purple has to go)?

Still think it's a change that should happen.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

Make the face buttons colored, with the shape being black? So green triangle button with black triangle symbol, red circle, blue cross, and yellow square (the pink/purple has to go)?

How about no? Nobody plays games staring at the controller buttons, and that just ruins the colour scheme. They should make the controller sexy. I like vita's buttons, but bigger.

AkIRA_22

You know what's fucked up? Sony had everything sorted the first time;

300px-PS1DualAnalogController.jpg

Concave sticks and flat L/R2 with nice long grip prongs. I am not a believer in analogue triggers, you just do not need them outside of driving games. I have one of these, it's only downfall in no Force Feedback.

zoukka

The touch is interesting and I like it's not a screen, which means my focus is on my 55" 2500 dollar TV screen and not the low def restive touch piece of shit attached to my control pad.

This is the most amazing new meme born in GAF. Even funnier than "my wrists get tired" and "hands slipping from sixaxis".

Keep at it guys.

Oppo

You know what's fucked up? Sony had everything sorted the first time

300px-PS1DualAnalogController.jpg

Concave sticks and flat L/R2. I am not a believer in analogue triggers, you just do not need them outside of driving games.

I do wonder why they dropped this design.

Maybe it didn't focus test properly for some regions.

It is a really hard problem when you think about it; the controller literally has to be as close to One Size Fits All as possible. On a global scale.

Disagree strongly on the need for analog triggers though. They are essential.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Dreamcast / Xbox style triggers are a must. It's also baffling how console makers struggle to make them, only Xbox 360 has done it right in the last 10 years.

AkIRA_22

This is the most amazing new meme born in GAF. Even funnier than "my wrists get tired" and "hands slipping from sixaxis".

Keep at it guys.

Well it makes it completely optional. I personally hope it goes the way of SixAxis. Devs are forced into shoe horning redundant functions into the WiiU game pad. Sony tend make things much more optional.

zoukka

Dreamcast / Xbox style triggers are a must. It's also baffling how console makers struggle to make them, only Xbox 360 has done it right in the last 10 years.

Cube triggers were great.

Actually everything about the cube controller was great except the small dpad.

I can't imagine playing an fps on my laptop's touchpad, much less using it with my thumb on a controller.

I suppose it could be used for an analogue grenade throw. Larger swipe to throw further, smaller movement for a lighter throw.i dunno

True, but PC developers don't build their games around it as a device. Removing myself from a minute from what I'm used to in the console space, it seems a more natural input method to me than wiggling little sticks to turn, as it does provide direct input rather than simply integrating over some constant value to approximate how much you should turn. It would no doubt take getting used to, but I think it could in the end work out much better than using a joystick to look.

Drek

Afaik not.
Tried reaching the target area on my DS3 with my thumbs and it's definitely not exactly comfortable. Can't see myself using this for more than a Start/Select replacement. Which would be easier to do with actual start/select buttons...

You do know that's probably the point right?

The placement strongly indicates it isn't an in-game focused feature, it's a menu navigation feature. All the social network sharing and the like needs a more native input method than analog sticks moving a cursor. Touchpads have been doing that on laptops for years now and everyone is quite used to them. This is basically Sony replacing the menu navigation options of the Start and Select buttons with a more dynamic menu navigation system using a touchpad.

It will likely still do "start" and "select" functions with right or left taps. It will likely have gesture control so you can swipe your finger to flip pages and and scroll. Meanwhile if you're navigating a website or tiled display you have a real honest to god touchpad interface letting you have the same precision and speed you currently get on your laptop.

If this was meant to be a game-focused feature Sony would have put it on the pack of the controller like they did with Vita, so your fingers could reach it without moving off the core button set. They intentionally put it in place of buttons that have always been menu focused. See the difference?

This isn't meant to be their Wii U screen, this is meant to make their new software features (like the share button) easier to use.

UrbanRats

iUXyEvuMJyOwf.gif

Sorry for the quick dirty shop, but it gets the idea across.
Black buttons with white symbols is my favorite.

I think having an exclusive SHARE button is overkill. Just make it part of the menu when you press the PS Button.

I love having OS level screenshots on Vita, but my least favorite thing is when I accidentally pause my game when trying to take one. The last thing this share button needs is a fucking menu that pops up whenever you want to use it. It needs to be seamless and unobtrusive. As for the PS button, I want that to pop me out of the game for the purpose of changing settings and multitasking exactly like the PS button on Vita. Having separate, dedicated buttons for both actions very desirable.

Oppo

That's just incredible. So they consciously chose convex over this. Who would think that is an improvement in anyway? So fucking stupid.

Well I had one, and I understand why you might prefer the concave design. What I found with this controller (played G Police with it, fuck yeah - sorry, flashback) was that the size was very comfy but the sticks not as much. Perhaps a quirk of my own grip or something but I noticed that I actually tend to push the edges of the stick head with my thumb, I don't keep the ball of my thumb mashed against it, and because of this there was actually less surface area I was touching, vs the now standard PS convex stick heads. I notice it a little on the Xbox controller as well but less so than I remember with this, it's been awhile though. Was a counterintuitive discovery for me but there you go.

If there was a change I could ask for in the controller, it's a dumb thing in many ways, but i wish it was backlit. Just a LED cutout on the buttons or something, like a MacBook keyboard.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Any news on an upgraded Move controller? A move controller an analog stick would be GREAT for FPS games. Stick for larger movements, pointer for fine turning would be amazing.

Angry Fork

That's just incredible. So they consciously chose convex over this. Who would think that is an improvement in anyway? So fucking stupid.

I much prefer convex because it's smooth, in competitive play it's much easier to use than a 360 controller. Your thumb has to go over the ridge on 360 in order to quickly turn in opposing directions, on ps3 controller you don't have any odd annoying feeling.

I feel everything on the 360 controller except it's shape and triggers are inferior to PS3. PS3's face buttons are able to be pressed much quicker and more easily because of the flat square design as opposed to 360's protruding bubble shit. And the L1/R1 button on 360 cannot be pressed nearly as fast as PS3's, you can shoot a single shot/pistol on PS3 much faster than on 360 because of this.

The analog stick placement doesn't matter to me either one is fine.

My mockup of the rumoured controller:

7DinasG.jpg

Aside from the triggers that's the closest to how I imagine it, assuming they don't go for a Wii U pro layout. If there is an LED strip for tracking along the top edge it needs to be out of the reach of blocking fingers, which that almost would be with different triggers.

What if the next dualshock has six triggers ? Imagine the Dualshock 2, with L1/L2 and R1/R2, but with two additionnal triggers (LT/RT ? ) on the back of the controller like the 360. Can someone do a mockup ? I'm certain it would work perfectly. I don't even think the controller would feel too "big" or anything.

UrbanRats

What if the next dualshock has six triggers ? Imagine the Dualshock 2, with L1/L2 and R1/R2, but with two additionnal triggers (LT/RT ? ) on the back of the controller like the 360. Can someone do a mockup ? I'm certain it would work perfectly. I don't even think the controller would feel too "big" or anything.

I don't know about that, but they COULD put two additional buttons on the "horns", where your other fingers are resting.

Or stick a clickable track pad on both sides. The fingers certainly need more to do, just look at how little thumbs are used on m&k. Thumbs are shit.
Ironically sent from my phone.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A lot of people are mentioning the Move trigger but I also like the one on the Nav a lot. The resistance on it feels good and it's better for tapping faster. Some combination of the shape of the Move trigger and the Nav trigger would feel great.

CREMSteve

The 360 controller does a LOT of things right, the sticks, their placement, the buttons, the triggers (both concave and the tension), the size, the weight....

Take all of those things and give them a touchpad, a share button, bluetooth, no batteries, no sixaxis, make it black, the superior d-pad and throw some Sony logos on it...

Voila, the perfect controller. Someone with superior photoshop skills please make it happen.

Rather than start with the Dual Shock as the base for the image, start with the 360 pad.

UrbanRats

Or stick a clickable track pad on both sides. The fingers certainly need more to do, just look at how little thumbs are used on m&k. Thumbs are shit.
Ironically sent from my phone.

Graphics Horse
graphics horse
graphics horse
does whatever a
graphics horse does
(Today, 04:33 PM)

A horse jealous of our opposable thumbs, why am i not surprised?

Somnid

The 360 controller does a LOT of things right, the sticks, their placement, the buttons, the triggers (both concave and the tension), the size, the weight....

Take all of those things and give them a touchpad, a share button, bluetooth, no batteries, no sixaxis, make it black, the superior d-pad and throw some Sony logos on it...

Voila, the perfect controller. Someone with superior photoshop skills please make it happen.

Rather than start with the Dual Shock as the base for the image, start with the 360 pad.

Wait, are you saying you want a wired controller with no motion but has a trackpad? Eh...

Looks nice aside from the PSP shoulder buttons. The face buttons are really too far apart, but I'm just being nit picky. Looks good.

Here's another with Wii U style shoulder buttons and face buttons closer together. The original was exactly the way Vita has it, probably because at the smaller size they wanted them a bit further apart than appears visually correct.

2qrqlQG.jpg

FragFX controllers have 3, its quite difficult to use them effectively.
splitfish-fragfx-20070625042924021-000.jpg

Top Bottom