• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Good E3 for Wii U, owning both Wii U and 3DS beneficial in the future.

pixlexic

Banned
None of the Nintendo of America employees (save for localization teams in games that are in late development) would know about Nintendo's long-term future strategies. Not even Reggie probably knows how E3 is going down until a few weeks/months before E3 itself. Nintendo of America's executive team didn't even see Nintendo Revolution until it was in late development and only a few months before May 2011.

All outside. Nintendo branches are really just marketing teams.

Mileena

Banned
You have a lot of hate toward the wii u. Where did it touch you? It's ok .. I am an adult you can tell me.
I could send you a friend request if you'd like. My Wii U Mii is so kawaii *_*

(I own the system, its disappointing outside the pad, I have every right to criticize after I paid $350 for the damn system)

Hermii

What I thought when I read those tweets together is a unified account system where you can buy your virtual console games once, and play them on both 3DS and Wii U.

Seda

I really can't believe the hypocrisy at GAF. A tweet suddenly makes all the nintendo fans sure that the Wii U is going to be redeemed, even after Nintendo has shown how incompetent they can be handling the Wii U. Those same fans that enter the Vita threads to remind everybody how it is dead, etc, etc.

Even though Sony has actually showed how having both the Ps4 and Vita will be beneficial in the future, but yet the Vita is doomed. (with more games, better tech than the WiiU).

There are both huge Sony and Nintendo fan-bases on GAF.

Mr Swine

Banned
Doesn't she say "may come" I mean that rings some warning bells and I really hope that Nintendo goes all out with Wii U and 3DS this E3

Into

Honestly, I think what really happens is that Emily Rogers may have a friend of a friend of a friend who might know someone in the industry, but by the time it goes down that long and twisted chain, 90% of it is either BS or speculation... making her not credible because even if something IS right, if there is the same amount or more that isn't... it isn't useful at all to anyone.

It's kind of like a weather forecaster that gets the weather right half the time. You can't rely on them, so why bother listening?

Good point

It is also the nature of a huge event like E3, even if you claim to know that Metroid 3: Samus Resurrection is coming this E3 for sure, and it does not happen. The media and industry will be too caught up with whatever is actually announced and you will rarely be called out for it. Nobody is going to care that you clearly had no clue, or that you simply guessed and guessed wrong because there are bigger things to talk about

(Though obviously ShockingAlberto did bring some of things she was wrong about back that people droned out at various E3's and other events that happened.)

Its also easy to cover yourself, if nothing is announced but games, she can just claim "owning the 3DS and Wii U is beneficial because they will have great Nintendo games in the future!" technically making her prediction right.

Why does anyone still listen to her? If she says 100 different things, most of which are "Nintendo will announce a sequel to "insert Mario, Zelda, Starfox, Metroid, etc here" of it's series at E3!" then of course a few of those will be right.

She doesn't have inside information,

She definitely has more information than you as you said Nintendo wouldn't show anything big at this E3 as that is what Directs are for :D

Good point

It is also the nature of a huge event like E3, even if you claim to know that Metroid 3: Samus Resurrection is coming this E3 for sure, and it does not happen. The media and industry will be too caught up with whatever is actually announced and you will rarely be called out for it. Nobody is going to care that you clearly had no clue, or that you simply guessed and guessed wrong because there are bigger things to talk about

(Though obviously ShockingAlberto did bring some of things she was wrong about back that people droned out at various E3's and other events that happened.)

Its also easy to cover yourself, if nothing is announced but games, she can just claim "owning the 3DS and Wii U is beneficial because they will have great Nintendo games in the future!" technically making her prediction right.
Well like I said, she didnt say anything specifically so Im not sure why people are getting mad for.

Huff

Banned
The fact the she is trying to "explain" herself to gaffers and twitterers doesn't do anything to help her cred.

Please understand

She definitely has more information than you as you said Nintendo wouldn't show anything big at this E3 as that is what Directs are for :D

Has E3 happened yet? Nope. I'd still bet we'll see more from Nintendo in the weeks leading up to or the weeks after E3 than at E3 itself.

If they were smart, they wouldn't either. Nintendo is not going to able to compete for attention with PS4 and Durango being unveiled and there games shown.

Has E3 happened yet? Nope. I'd still bet we'll see more from Nintendo in the weeks leading up to or the weeks after E3 than at E3 itself.

If they were smart, they wouldn't either. Nintendo is not going to able to compete for attention with PS4 and Durango being unveiled and there games shown.

E3 is for the public(and media).

Nintendo Directs are for neogaf, etc...

Into

Well like I said, she didnt say anything specifically so Im not sure why people are getting mad for.

I don't think anyone is getting outright mad at her, ShockingAlberto just posted many of the times she was proven wrong and are not willing to take her word on her predictions (as her past has shown to be unreliable)

She is sorta getting similar reaction to Pachter's predictions, on a smaller scale as she is not as wildly known as he is.

I know but in the Media create sale or the monthly NPD's threads you see how the nintendo fans ridicule the Vita. This coming from a huge 3DS supporter.

I'd say it's more pent up rage/frustration/vindication after the hell Sony fanboys put Nintendo through the first year of the 3DS. Those threads were pretty evenly spread when the Vita first came out... now most Vita defense force avoid those threads because they don't have a leg to stand on.

Anyways, it's just gaf being gaf. Certain threads bring out the fanboys/trolls. If you don't like those conversations, you learn to avoid them.

Rogers has named her sources for me and I absolutely give her credit for that. I am obviously not going to repeat them but I recognize who they are and am keeping a notepad of the rumors and the sources to sit on.

We'll see if they pan out. I am not going to say I believe her but she has stepped forward and given me information she has not needed to give me if this were totally made up (though something being made up is not the only way a rumor can be inaccurate).

I'll withhold any future mocking until after E3, where I'll either apologize for this one or we'll do this dance again next year.

Even though Sony has actually showed how having both the Ps4 and Vita will be beneficial in the future, but yet the Vita is doomed. (with more games, better tech than the WiiU).

It's hard to take anything you say seriously after the implication that the Vita has better tech than the Wii U

I don't think anyone is getting outright mad at her, ShockingAlberto just posted many of the times she was proven wrong and are not willing to take her word on her predictions (as her past has shown to be unreliable)

She is sorta getting similar reaction to Pachter's predictions, on a smaller scale as she is not as wildly known as he is.
I have no problem with that. I fully acknowledge when she was wrong. I understand that. People always look at one side he posted all the time she was wrong but fail to show when she was right. I mean blah blah broken clock..

and yea somebody sounds mad.

Rogers has named her sources for me and I absolutely give her credit for that. I am obviously not going to repeat them but I recognize who they are and am keeping a notepad of the rumors and the sources to sit on.

We'll see if they pan out. I am not going to say I believe her but she has stepped forward and given me information she has not needed to give me if this were totally made up (though something being made up is not the only way a rumor can be inaccurate).

I'll withhold any future mocking until after E3, where I'll either apologize for this one or we'll do this dance again next year.

Mighty nice of you. That said, you now have info we want. ;)

I have no problem with that. I fully acknowledge when she was wrong. I understand that. People always look at one side he posted all the time she was wrong but fail to show when she was right. I mean blah blah broken clock..

and yea somebody sounds mad.

She does have sources but Iwata's biggest source of heartache is her article and I will never forgive her for that.

Well that was nice. And Hi emily

She does have sources but Iwata's biggest source of heartache is her article and I will never forgive her for that.
lol

E3 is for the public(and media).

Nintendo Directs are for neogaf, etc...

E3 isn't for the public, it's for the journalists. It's always been for journalists. It's become some sort of convention (some years worse than others).

There is a reason why E3 restructured a few years ago (and then promptly went back to how it was)

That said, Nintendo already showed last year what they think of e3... They announced all of the important Wii U stuff BEFORE E3, then they announced the majority of their 3DS titles and Wonderful 100 AFTER the main E3 press conference.

The majority of their press conference last year was on expanded media and things like Wii Fit U. I could easily see Nintendo going that route again only more extreme, pushing those announcements even further from their main conference to get additional media attention.

Servbot24

Banned
New Smash alone would make it a great E3 for Nintendo. Since that's already confirmed to be there, Nintendo will surely have a great E3.

It would be better than their last 2 years (combined), but this year they're going up against 2 new consoles. One game isn't enough.

Hermii

If you mean attention at the Nintendo booth, I disagree with that. They will probably have some fun unique gameplay mechanics and event though graphics wont be as good as the others, we all know the next 3d Mario / Retro game will have beatifull graphics.

Kazerei

Banned

what a twist

E3 isn't for the public, it's for the journalists. It's always been for journalists. It's become some sort of convention (some years worse than others).

There is a reason why E3 restructured a few years ago (and then promptly went back to how it was)

That said, Nintendo already showed last year what they think of e3... They announced all of the important Wii U stuff BEFORE E3, then they announced the majority of their 3DS titles and Wonderful 100 AFTER the main E3 press conference.

The majority of their press conference last year was on expanded media and things like Wii Fit U. I could easily see Nintendo going that route again only more extreme, pushing those announcements even further from their main conference to get additional media attention.

My point(though it's so dam obvious) is that more people watch E3 than Nintendo Directs.

There are playable games there and impressions.

It's not hard to understand how E3 reaches more people than a specialized Nintendo Direct(which often appears at the screwiest of times).

I really can't believe the hypocrisy at GAF. A tweet suddenly makes all the nintendo fans sure that the Wii U is going to be redeemed, even after Nintendo has shown how incompetent they can be handling the Wii U. Those same fans that enter the Vita threads to remind everybody how it is dead, etc, etc.

What thread are you reading? Most of the posters (Nintendo fans or otherwise) are questioning this, especially considering the source of the rumor.

Jamix012

I know but in the Media create sale or the monthly NPD's threads you see how the nintendo fans ridicule the Vita. This coming from a huge 3DS supporter.

I don't honestly think it's nearly as bad as the ridicule of the Wii U. But at the same time I think that's largely backlash. Either way you, nor anyone else, should care what someone's opinion of a console is. If you own and enjoy it, whatever, enjoy it and don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. Sales threads are going to be full of that kind of stuff.
If you want other people to share your love for the console go into the Vita OT or a Wii U game OT (though the Vita OT has been a little rough lately.)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Our last discussion about Emily Rogers' credibility:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47317085&postcount=108
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47319625&postcount=167
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47320005&postcount=179
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47320355&postcount=185
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47321044&postcount=202
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47321303&postcount=206

As I argue in those posts, I think that through her efforts as a fan journalist, she has cultivated actual relationships with actual people in the industry. Clearly especially with Indie developers in North America who are interested in working with Nintendo.

But she has also proven time and time again that at best, assuming she hasn't taken wild guesses or made anything up, that she shows poor judgment in contextualizing information she is given, reporting things with the appropriate amount of caution, or otherwise using a filter on the information she has. I think she's also not shown the appropriate amount of humility in contextualizing why she was wrong, or admitting personal culpability in being wrong.

In that past announcement linked in those posts above, we have things like her claiming that Soul Calibur was being released on Wii U. Here are some possibilities: 1) She lied. 2) She was lied to and fell for it. 3) She was told the truth but the game never got completed or released so she spilled the beans early and without proper assurances that it was a real thing. 4) She was told something more general ("we're working at releasing one of our fighting games") and incorrectly concluded specifics about which game it was. There is no follow-up apology that gives us the context to know which is true.

She said Metroid 3DS was in development. Possibilities: 1) She lied. 2) She was lied to and fell for it. 3) She was told the truth but the gam never got completed or released so she spilled the beans early and without proper assurances that it was a real thing. 4) The game was being pitched by a developer but the pitch was never accepted by Nintendo and she exaggerated how far along it was. 5) She was told something more general--that there was a Metroid project being worked on--that turned out to be Metroid 3D Classic--and she incorrectly summarized it as "Metroid 3DS" AND it never got made in the end. There is no follow-up apology that gives us the context to know which is true.

In this industry, many things that are pitched are never accepted, many accepted things never go into full development, many things in development never get released, many things that get released get delayed. Reporting that doesn't take this into account--for example, reporting that changes a 3rd party mocking up a tech demo of Halo DS to pitch to Microsoft into "Halo DS is being developed"--shows a lack of professionalism and discretion on the part of the journalist.

That being said, those tweets are pretty harmless. Here's my take on those tweets. Someone who is working on eShop stuff for Nintendo, probably an independent developer, got updated documentation from Nintendo about a new feature. This person told her. Maybe he told her specifically something to look forward to, or maybe he told her what she's telling the public--just general excitement--and she's passing it along.

Presumably the feature is intended to be some sort of cross ownership between the two; 3ds online multiplayer through Wii U like the Ad Hoc Party function on PSP/PS3; the ability for developers to unlock content on one by syncing with the other... or something else like that. The best case scenario would be a virtual console cross-ownership program. Because she's a fan, she's excited and wants to share with people. She's learning to hedge a lot more, which is good. It's still the kind of Nostradamus style generality that makes the actual tease itself pretty much worthless, but it's better than overblowing the whole thing at least.

-MB-

It's hard to take anything you say seriously after the implication that the Vita has better tech than the Wii U

I'm betting hes talkign relatively speaking. As inV ita has better/more up to date tech for a handheld then wiiu does for a fullblown console.

AzaK

More worthless 3 DS related rubbish. Give us games on Wii U.

I would like to know the sales of VC games. Or more importantly how many hours are played on them. I have yet to find a VC game I play longer than 5 minutes. OK Links awakening I spent about an hour but I think that's the only one. The games are generally trash.

That's where Retro's Star Fox comes in...
Oh god no! Of not make retro do a furry game Nintendo. And not an old IP.

New IP!!!!!

If you mean attention at the Nintendo booth, I disagree with that. They will probably have some fun unique gameplay mechanics and event though graphics wont be as good as the others, we all know the next 3d Mario / Retro game will have beatifull graphics.

No, I mean attention from news media. That is the entire point in companies paying to be at E3... it's to get media attention that will eventually turn into profit by being advertisements for their upcoming games.

Gaming websites aren't likely to headline any of Nintendo's games when this E3 is going to be all about the hardware reveals for the PS4 and Durango... but if they release a giant Nintendo direct a week before E3 (when lots of people are looking at these sites, hoping for leaks of the big hardware reveals) showing off all the games before they appear playable AT E3 then they will get those front line pages.

Top Bottom