• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk Eden $0.99 Steam sale huge sucess, made entire income in 8 hours

Maybe now they'll realize they've been pricing the games a bit on the expensive side. I bought eden and monsters, but I sure felt like I was over paying. Specially since I already have them on ps3.

Great. Now where's PixelJunk Monsters 2?

Yeah, this. I like the series on the whole, but Monsters is by far the best. I've bought it twice, and would love a proper sequel.

Happy for them, maybe it will teach them not to sell PJM on the vita and PC for $15+.

Yeah, exactly. It did very well on the PC at 90% off, but it should have never been so expensive in the first place. Around £4-5 or $7-8 would probably be the ideal range, and knock 50% off that when you want a sales bump.

Qassim

It just makes me sad the poor bastards have to drop the price of good games to $1 - I'm glad as fuck they made money but it's just a crying shame a game like Eden is $1 (in some ways I think it's one of their best games, it's the most unique, best soundtrack, visually stunning - hell it had youtube fucking uploads LONG before many other games)

The problem is, it's harder to stand out on PC as an indie. Last generations on the consoles, the few indie games that came out and were platform exclusive got a decent marketing push and were seen by people. Things like YouTube uploads are irrelevant on PC - people could already do that on every game on PC - that doesn't help you stand out.

On the PC, it's just another indie game on the face of it. It came out on PC without much noise and slipped away. I love the Pixeljunk games, own them all on PSN - but their release on steam completely slipped past me.

I don't think they needed to drop it down to $1 - I think they probably didn't get that many sales from their Steam release and felt it was a fault with the game or the image of the game and just tried to get anything they could from it. They probably could have gone for $2 - $3 and made a lot of money too - just getting on those flash sales probably grabs enough attention.

I don't understand what he means by "made our entire income".
I think he means the Steam sale equaled all revenue earned prior to it. Not sure how to interpret that though. 8 hours equaling all prior income sounds like the game wasn't selling for shit prior to it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Goddam that Abrasion dude is super annoying

I think he means the Steam sale equaled all revenue earned prior to it. Not sure how to interpret that though. 8 hours equaling all prior income sounds like the game wasn't selling for shit prior to it.

Or that the sale was a *huge* success. You know, like DCB himself said?

People not only bought the game, they also actually played it.
qPVJ01S.png

PRcMkr8.png

elyetis

Too bad the game doesn't have online coop, it's what made me double dip on Monster ( and because it's their best game ).

What an annoying PS4 port begger, that @abrasion dude. Why is port begging allowed on Twitter... Devs are happy with the Steam sale! Isn't that enough?

wizzbang

Banned
You actually have no clue what he meant by that, because his statement was incredibly vague (it could have been referring to only Steam version sales, or it may have referred to all versions combined). He might have clarified if you weren't acting like a complete ass to him and putting him on the defensive. <snip>

I suggest you read the full exchange on twitter before speculating any further. What he's stating is infact quite clear.

wizzbang

Banned
Gotta laugh at PC only gamers complaining about port begging.

Yup.
Don't quote me but I would suspect over 2 years of me chatting to Dylan on twitter probably directly contributed to Monsters Ultimate coming to steam. Certainly not the only reason but I doubt I'd be in the credits for the fucking game if they didn't recognise me as a big fan of the series.

But hey, the rest of the people in this thread can keep making assumptions, it's glorious.

Salex_

Big difference between port begging because you want to play a game at its best and port begging so you can maintain your brand loyalty.
It sounds like this guy wants to play it because 1. His PS4 needs games 2. He wants to play it on his PS4. From reading that tweet, I didn't get any warrior vibe at all. I think people need to chill out with all these assumptions on NeoGaf.

I had a guy earlier claiming I was invested because I tried to educate him on the PS4 2014 lineup since he said there was nothing but inFamous and The Order.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Big difference between port begging because you want to play a game at its best and port begging so you can maintain your brand loyalty.

Yo if you expose the picture too much we wont be able to enjoy the slow development.

wizzbang

Banned

The assumptions in this thread are off the fucking dial.
Also love that sneak attack in your post, "PC games are superior, but if you want a game for your console, you must be a fanboy!" that's painfully obvious from your post.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The assumptions in this thread are off the fucking dial.
Also love that sneak attack in your post, "PC games are superior, but if you want a game for your console, you must be a fanboy!" that's painfully obvious from your post.

Hey at least you both are on even footing there.

wizzbang

Banned
It sounds like this guy wants to play it because 1. His PS4 needs games 2. He wants to play it on his PS4. From reading that tweet, I didn't get any warrior vibe at all. I think people need to chill out with all these assumptions on NeoGaf.

I had a guy earlier claiming I was invested because I tried to educate him on the PS4 2014 lineup since he said there was nothing but inFamous and The Order.

Dude, people LOVE the jump to conclusions mat. In this very thread I'm being labelled a clear and obvious Sony fanboy.
Yet in other threads I'm frequently labelled an Xbox One fanboy........ simply because I have the audacity the sheer audacity to actually suggest the Xbox One could be quieter than a PS4 or that I don't think 1080p is mandatory. (Not that sub 1080p is better no,... just that I don't insist it's mandatory)
Clearly I'm an Xbox One shill.

Hey at least you both are on even footing there.

I am sick of sitting at a desk, I like sitting on my leather recliner - that's really all there is to it. I like simplicity, I PC gamed for over 20 years, I think I've fucking served my time for the platform.
But nope, if you don't like PC games on the internet nowadays, you're clearly devilspawn because gabe blah blah master race, etc etc zzzzZZZZzzzzz

PixelJunk Eden is the best PJ game. It's perfect. Good on them for being successful with the sale.

That's what this thread is about right?

wizzbang

Banned
PixelJunk Eden is the best PJ game. It's perfect. Good on them for being successful with the sale.

That's what this thread is about right?

That is definitely true, I love the fucking shit out of Monsters (and infact I've played much much more monsters) but Eden .... man..... I needed that game when it came out, just at the right time for me.

Khaz

I am sick of sitting at a desk, I like sitting on my leather recliner - that's really all there is to it. I like simplicity, I PC gamed for over 20 years, I think I've fucking served my time for the platform.
But nope, if you don't like PC games on the internet nowadays, you're clearly devilspawn because gabe blah blah master race, etc etc zzzzZZZZzzzzz

You can do that with a PC too.

Corto

These guys deserve it. I was wary for a while that they were struggling to stay afloat but reading these good news is really reassuring. The game is fantastic, great soundtrack and really original visuals and mechanics. I still replay a garden once in a while when I want to relax to a good track. The PC port with the new control scheme is the best version. And Dylan has a GAF account and I seem to remember that it was feedback from people here on the OT thread that push them to add controller support for the PC version again. They created a completely new KB/mouse control scheme that worked perfectly but some people said that they played on HTPC with controllers and Dylan and the team added it to the PC version. Top notch support.

p0rk1ns

Q-Games
Just to jump back in for a min. I wear a lot of hats at Q, including managing most of our PR (It's usually me talking to people on FB/Twitter/Steam). Abrasion/Wizzbang has always been super supportive of everything we've done over at Q-Games. Yes, he likes to prod us for ports, but he's not the only one. I don't really think he has an agenda.

As I stated earlier in the thread, we wish we could have all of the PixelJunk games on every platform imaginable. James Mielke often teased me about people asking for ports to wristwatches and calculators. It breaks my heart to have to duck, dodge and deflect all of the questions about porting. I'm a gamer too, and at the end of the day I just want everyone to have a chance to play our games.

But we don't have the resources to make everyone's dreams come true, which is why we're so happy that Double Eleven has taken up the task. They've done an awesome job thus far and that frees us up to do new stuff.

So don't dogpile on Abrasion too hard. :) He means well!

wizzbang

Banned
As I stated earlier in the thread, we wish we could have all of the PixelJunk games on every platform imaginable. James Mielke often teased me about people asking for ports to wristwatches and calculators. It breaks my heart to have to duck, dodge and deflect all of the questions about porting. I'm a gamer too, and at the end of the day I just want everyone to have a chance to play our games.

But we don't have the resources to make everyone's dreams come true, which is why we're so happy that Double Eleven has taken up the task. They've done an awesome job thus far and that frees us up to do new stuff.

I'm glad the relationship with DoubleEleven is working out well, I've tweeted back and forth a few times with Lee and he's a pretty great guy. The Monsters port to PC is clean crisp and tip top. Now if he could just email the source back to Q in Japan and you just magically compile it for the PS4,........ yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D
(Oh and as I said in that debate a week or so ago, don't feel obligated to do crossbuy, not all of us expect antique games to get free ports just because we paid for them 4 years ago!)

Cheers

wizzbang

Banned
You have no excuses anymore.
Once you pass the one-time hassle of installing Windows and Steam, and make BPM start on boot. Then it's just like a console, but better.

I know all about it, I don't feel it's ready for primetime yet personally.
It's come a long way since I started PC gaming on a 286 - but no, even big picture and a bluetooth controller just can't compete with the simplicity of a console. It just can't.

More than glad to give them a money. Great job on getting more money duders!

@abrasion
Do you think you could get Shenmue 1 & 2 ported to the Vita for me, please?

wizzbang

Banned
More than glad to give them a money. Great job on getting more money duders!

@abrasion
Do you think you could get Shenmue 1 & 2 ported to the Vita for me, please?

In all seriousness, I would google the owner of the franchise and the people who make those decisions, twitter is a powerful tool.
I've managed to tweet the developers at Guerilla for example several times to thank them for X or Y stuff in KZ - or in one case I tracked down a KZ2 audio engineer to try and find out if a bug was introduced in a patch. It's a crazy powerful tool (twitter) just know the right person to tweet and the right way to approach it.

Bought it too, looked interesting enough for 99cents, honestly the sooner the videogame industry realizes the extra sales volume of a cheaper game can outweigh the profit gained from a more expensive game with a higher upfront cost the better.

Portugeezer

They must not have made a lot of income to date. Now they doubled it.

But yeah I don't expect them to give figures on their income, this is the best we got.

derExperte

Gotta laugh at PC only gamers complaining about port begging.

It's less the port begging and more the fake as fuck sounding concerns about how much money the devs are earning. And the part about '5$ on PS4 -> more income'. Also how do you know they're all PC only gamers? I would buy PJ Shooter for 0.99 despite having 100%ed it on PS3.

They must not have made a lot of income to date. Now they doubled it.

But yeah I don't expect them to give figures on their income, this is the best we got.

I don't think it sold a ton either, there was little buzz during release (same goes for Shooter, maybe Q-Games could do more in that regard) but they seem to be very pleased, that's what counts imo.

I can see why one would be skeptical about it at first, but still whining about it and going with the "you could've made more"-attitude when they announced the details is just being silly.

As a fan of Q-Games I'm glad it's going well for them at least. Here's hoping for PJM2!

Developers getting paid in the steam sales is part of the reason why it feels more like a fun event than buying bargain bin retail copies. It's not like, oh I bought this game for bomba prices from amazon now the dev is closing shop.

Top Bottom