• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/27 - 11/02

Osuwari

jesusraz said:
And for those looking for the hardware update:

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2008 Sales | Lifetime Sales
1.) Nintendo DSi - 171,925 | 0 | 171,925 | 171,925
2.) PlayStation Portable - 50,358 | 60,467 | 3,103,787 | 10,768,864
3.) PlayStation 3 - 39,587 | 3,931 | 743,459 | 2,385,135
4.) Wii - 23,123 | 24,292 | 2,311,804 | 6,927,943
5.) Nintendo DS - 16,369 | 22,965 | 2,507,878 | 23,680,932
6.) PlayStation 2 - 6,714 | 6,962 | 418,948 | 21,345,988
7.) Xbox 360 - 6,119 | 7,844 | 226,748 | 735,193

why aren't DSi and DSL combined?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I can't believe it's a matter of 'hope' if Wii Music outsells LBP.

I mean, quite asides from people hoping that Music would sell more (watwatwat), who'd have thunk it could have been anything but a lock?

I still think it is, actually, globally. LBP outselling Wii Music would be where the lulz is, not so much vice versa.

gofreak said:
LBP outselling Wii Music would be where the lulz is, not so much vice versa.

I disagree. There will be greater lulz if Wii Music wins over the GREATEST MOST ORIGINAL GAME FOR THE HARDCORE AND APPEALS TO CASUALS game.

It will be fun to watch, either way.

TunaLover

-Kh- said:
Oh so you want Nintendo to go back to their GameCube days and into the possibility of turning third party for the lack of overall sales and inability to support their own platforms?

And please excuse Pokemon from this analogy.

No, I want they were successfull with a good mix of games, I never said I want they fail in every Wiitittle, just pointed the need for balance.

TunaLover

Count Dookkake said:
I disagree. There will be greater lulz if Wii Music wins over the GREATEST MOST ORIGINAL GAME FOR THE HARDCORE AND APPEALS TO CASUALS game.

Its already happening

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Count Dookkake said:

Than if newcomer game on the smallest install base outsells the third iteration in Nintendo's flagship 'Wii' line of games on the best selling system this generation (if not, perhaps, ever)? I don't know about that :p It'd also ought to be far more satisfying for most on GAF..although maybe lulz for a minority scales inversely with (majority?) GAF satisfaction.. :p

-Kh-

Banned
Nutter said:
There is as much difference between them as PSP1000 to PSP3000, yet they seemed to be combined?

There wasn't much difference between the DS and DSL and they weren't comined.

The GBA and GBA SP is another similar case.

The name is the key.

TunaLover said:
No, I want they were successfull with a good mix of games, I never said I want they fail in every Wiitittle, just pointed the need for balance.

Nintendo now is more balanced than they've been in years.

Frillen

-Kh- said:
There wasn't much difference between the DS and DSL and they weren't comined.

The GBA and GBA SP is another similar case.

The name is the key.

So why is it that Japanese trackers are the only ones who doesn't combine them?

Nintendo, NPD and pretty much every European/Australian trackers combines them.

NDS LTD: 23,852,857

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow... that's disappointing to see a GTA game outselling a Valkyrie Profile game... in Japan :(

linsivvi

Frillen said:

Isn't it always better to have more information? It's good that they don't combine them. We can do the addition by ourselves. They should (if they could) separate all the different SKUs of other hardware too.

-Kh-

Banned
Frillen said:

Because Japan likes to have their own way to say their weekly figures.

BTW do the MC/Famitsu console total LTDs combine both DS and DSL numbers, and did the same for GBA and SP?

If that's the case then it is only done to differentiate weekly skus by name.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Count Dookkake said:

Not really. Everyone expected Wii Music to outsell LBP, especially in Japan. Twisting it around, for the good of Nintendo

truth is, Wii Music is going to stay there three years in a way or another (Wii+Wii music bundle), LBP will be kicked out of the chart in december

AC will re-put things in place again. You just don't get more casual than that

HK-47 said:
Not really. Everyone expected Wii Music to outsell LBP, especially in Japan. Twisting it around, for the good of Nintendo

But the lulz will still be there. You can't forget the long history of "Wait until _____". Gets me every time.

Linkup

gofreak said:
Than if newcomer game on the smallest install base outsells the third iteration in Nintendo's flagship 'Wii' line of games on the best selling system this generation (if not, perhaps, ever)? I don't know about that :p It'd also ought to be far more satisfying for most on GAF..although maybe lulz for a minority scales inversely with (majority?) GAF satisfaction.. :p

Fourth iteration and you are mixing worldwide with expectations of sales in japan.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
gofreak said:

Oh, come on now, gofreak. We're at the "oh it's sales are good enough considering the market' phase now? LBP wasn't supposed to be a mere "game", but rather a PHENOMENON. ;)

antiloop

Count Dookkake said:
But the lulz will still be there. You can't forget the long history of "Wait until _____". Gets me every time.

You want one of the most original 2D games in years to fail just for the lulz. Kinda sad.

Vinci

Danish
Count Dookkake said:
You can't forget the long history of "Wait until _____". Gets me every time.

This is the only aspect that makes it funny. That aside, LBP is a helluva good game. But I'm not going to call Wii Music crap either, as people seem to be enjoying it.

They're both good. Having either bomb is bad.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Frillen said:

The NPD report doesn't combine them, only the number that is given to the media do.

Vinci

Danish
Count Dookkake said:
And others want one of the most original music games in years to fail just for the lulz. Kinda sad.

It's not really for the 'lulz' though with Wii Music - it's more vindictive than that, more hostile. It's amazing to me how much people hate that thing.

Spiegel

Oblivion said:
Oh, come on now, gofreak. We're at the "oh it's sales are good enough considering the market' phase now? LBP wasn't supposed to be a mere "game", but rather a PHENOMENON. ;)

Who said that LBP was going to be a PHENOMENON in Japan?

People is HOPING that LBP becomes a worldwide phenomenon because it has the potential and that hasn't changed.

antiloop said:
You want one of the most original 2D games in years to fail just for the lulz. Kinda sad.

I agree. Even as a Nintendo fanboy I want to see LBP do well and wii music to bomb. LBP is a great game that should inspire Nintendo to try and do something even better. Wii music should be an example of what not to do.

donny2112

Go319 said:
so going by this i assume we will start seeing wii-colours hitting japan soon? christmas red?

The difficult part for Nintendo is that while it's fading in Japan, it's still completely sold out in the U.S. Maybe we'll see something come the Spring, if Nintendo can get through Christmas in the U.S. okay. The good part about 2009 is that there is a plethora of core games coming, and as I've said before, getting core gamers to "jump in" is one of the best hopes for renewed Wii sales in Japan.

Leon S. Kennedy said:
Wii music should be an example of what not to do.

Did Wii Chess hurt you so, too? How can offering a fun way to play music in a non-competitive atmosphere be such a horrible thing to do? The impressions by some have been quite glowing if you take the game for what it is instead of hating it because of what it's not.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
donny2112 said:
The difficult part for Nintendo is that while it's fading in Japan, it's still completely sold out in the U.S. Maybe we'll see something come the Spring, if Nintendo can get through Christmas in the U.S. okay. The good part about 2009 is that there is a plethora of core games coming, and as I've said before, getting core gamers to "jump in" is one of the best hopes for renewed Wii sales in Japan.
Nintendo's hardware decisions seem to largely.. no.. wholly based on the Japanese market. The DSi, for instance, was a slap in the face to NoA, who clearly had DSL lined up as their main breadwinner for at least another year. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same with some Wii versions, perhaps bundled with games.

Black Wii with Wii Music pack-in(for a premium, of course), anyone?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Spiegel said:

You must have not been paying attention to most LBP threads throughout the past two years or so.

People is HOPING that LBP becomes a worldwide phenomenon because it has the potential and that hasn't changed.

It's been a while since I took geography in college, but unless I'm mistaken, even if we limit it to the video game world, wouldn't it not technically be a 'worldwide' phenomenon if it doesn't take off in an area that makes up 20% of the gaming market?

donny2112

Sage00 said:
Black Wii with Wii Music pack-in(for a premium, of course), anyone?

Nah. There's no bundle in Japan, as it is. If they were to start one, I'd suspect it would be Wii Sports Resort getting the nod in any case, and there it would be to increase the Wii Motion+ market share rather than to increase sales.

There is the DVD-capable Wii to consider. That was put on the backburner due to Wii's worldwide success.

TunaLover said:
Because the WiiTittle has been too much successful so far, Nintendo could just relying on WiiTittles. Douche bags executives in NoA loves Wii casual line, so far they're focusing on WiiTittle while other great tittles got the shaft. I think that bad sales for a game in the WiiLine is good for game library balance.

EDIT if anything, WiiMusic doing strongly well Wiifit level could turn resources in WiiMusic 2, so the funding other tittles thing is a little tricky.
WiiTittle? Man the trolls are getting worse by the day.

Spiegel said:

So Japan isn't part of the world now?

Beaten. Damn you Oblivion.

Vinci

Danish
donny2112 said:
Did Wii Chess hurt you so, too? How can offering a fun way to play music in a non-competitive atmosphere be such a horrible thing to do? The impressions by some have been quite glowing if you take the game for what it is instead of hating it because of what it's not.

This is what I'm trying to understand. For all the rallying to LBP's defense, even those who are saying they hope it sells less than Wii Music aren't hating the title. In fact, I don't know anyone who hates LBP. But there are people who completely despise Wii Music, and for no other reason than it not being their cup of tea.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Re: Wii sales. I'm extremely curious when in 09 Monster Hunter 3 will come out. It was said to be only 30% done in the September Famitsu blowout, but it certainly seemed pretty far along at TGS.

I agree with donny (I think he said this) that Monster Hunter 3 could absolutely lead to a pretty long term bump. That audience will be a pretty new one for the Wii.

Best case scenario for Nintendo is MH3 coming out as soon as possible.

Spiegel said:

my, how Sony fans have learned to recalibrate their expectations according to weekly sales.
One week is "wait until LBP is out", one week is "we NEVER SAID..", one week is "wait until FFXIII", one week is "it's going pretty well at 6k"

this gen never fails to amaze me

Jonnyram

So let's make some assertions about the PS3 this week:
39,587 PS3s sold.
37,000 were the 80 gig model (Media Create).
The games at the bottom of the top 30 sold ~5,500 (Enterbrain).
Gran Turismo 5 Spec III jumped from #30 (let's assume 5500 sales) to #7 with 34,965 sales when HW bundles were included.
From this, let's say GT5 bundle = 29k, LBP bundle = 8k. Therefore the GT5 bundle was way more popular than the LBP bundle, at a ratio of something like 3.6:1. We can also see that LBP, outside of the PS3 HW bundle sold about 43,000 over the space of a week.

Apologies for the flagrant mixing of MC and EB numbers here, but I doubt you're going to see massive differences at the bottom of the top 30.

birdchili

is wii music getting a similar critical reaction in japan compared to the west? (ie: decidedly mixed, with a healthy dose of hate for song selection, general structure, and more or less not "getting it"?)

Tmac

Osuwari said:
why aren't DSi and DSL combined?

Relevance. A term used to describe how pertinent, connected, or applicable something is to a given matter.

Right now, the information of how well the new DS version is doing compared to the previous one, is relevant. In 3 months it won't be, and therefore, DS numbers will appear as combined again.

test_account

XP-39C²
Count Dookkake said:
Was LBP a "wait for" game in Japan (or are you talking worldwide?)? Personally i cant recall to see anyone claiming that atleast.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week | Last 4 Weeks |    YTD    |    LTD    [/U][/B]
DS       |   188,294 |    22,965 |      273,012 | 2,679,803 | 23,852,857
PSP      |    50,358 |    60,467 |      294,542 | 3,103,787 | 10,768,864
PS3      |    39,587 |     3,931 |       53,977 |   743,459 |  2,385,135
WII      |    23,123 |    24,292 |       96,316 | 2,311,804 |  6,927,943
PS2      |     6,714 |     6,962 |       27,919 |   418,948 | 21,345,988
360      |     6,119 |     7,844 |       29,582 |   226,748 |    735,193

(links to Chart Get!)

test_account said:
Was LBP a "wait for" game in Japan (or are you talking worldwide?)?
Yeah, it was a "wait for" game... though admittedly in a lot of cases it was a "wait for the LBP bundle" comment.

That said, after 1 week of increased hardware sales who can say they're wrong? :D

Top Bottom