• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF article GTA V - X360 vs PS3

Weird that the 360 version has specifically blurred ground textures.

Good to see Rockstar fully got to grips with PS3's CELL for this release.

PS3 wins out in what may be the ultimate last big effort on these two machines. It's fair to say that no other game will be bigger than GTA V.

The South Park RPG will be a big deal, but not nearly as much as GTA V is. A nice win for the PS3 here.

d00d3n

For people who are getting pop in and aliasing with the PSN version, try this: (repost from the small digital download version thread)

I followed this procedure: (on a 250 gb original hard drive PS3 slim)

1. Deleted all unnecessary save files (had extremely many copies in some games like gow and ffxiii), game data files and games, amounting 30 gigs or so in total

2. Booted into recovery mode and ran rebuild database and restore filesystem

(I tried 2. without doing 1. earlier today without results.)

The pop in seems to have improved after this. It is still visible, but the objects that pop in are so small and far away that it feels acceptable. Additionally, and weirdly, it seems like anti-aliasing has improved along with the decreased pop in. (almost as if it was turned off before)

Obviously, I will not be able to replicate the old conditions on my hard drive, so it is unclear what deleting save files, game data and games actually does (but it was necessary: just doing the recovery options, which I tried separately, did not resolve the issues for me).

I should point out that all the pop in I have experienced and the improvement with this fix
have been tested by me only in open world mode, right when you get control of Franklin after the initial forced mission.

MaLDo

I wouldn't necessarily call those nasty pixel crawling palm trees on the right "significantly better".

Look at that fence behind the bus

PS3_088.bmp.jpg

360_088.bmp.jpg

Lacix

I made a screenshot comparison for some of the DF pics:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/41460

You can easily see the differences with the ground textures in them.

Also the mountains in the background are crisper in the PS3 version.
I think the PS3 could be better in texture streaming due to some hardware speciality.
The new Tomb Raider has also better texture resolution in the PS3 version.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/ccbcfb5d0610fcdf75fa05365c20cf8b/tumblr_misncjwO4Q1qi0854o2_1280.png

How is it possible that the PS3 can display better texture filtering? The 360 has a better GPU, it should have the advantage for these things. Is it because they process lots of jobs usually managed by the GPU to the Cell?

thuway

How is it possible that the PS3 can display better texture filtering? The 360 has a better GPU, it should have the advantage for these things. Is it because they process lots of jobs usually managed by the GPU to the Cell?

For all the headaches the Cell processor imposed initially, once developers figured its quirks out, you have shit like this happen in the late gen cycle.

Ploid 3.0

For people who are getting pop in and aliasing with the PSN version, try this: (repost from the small digital download version thread)

Obviously, I will not be able to replicate the old conditions on my hard drive, so it is unclear what deleting save files, game data and games actually does (but it was necessary: just doing the recovery options, which I tried separately, did not resolve the issues for me).

I should point out that all the pop in I have experienced and the improvement with this fix
have been tested by me only in open world mode, right when you get control of Franklin after the initial forced mission.

I had already deleted tons of save files that I will no longer use before I downloaded GTA5 for space. I didn't do the recovery thing though. I almost never see pop in though. I saw one yesterday out of a lot of hours.

NBtoaster

Actually texture filtering is one of the few things the PS3 GPU does better than 360's, it has more TMUs (24 compared to 16) for a higher texel fillrate (12GT/s compared to 8GT/s).

I'm confused at DF saying 360 ground textures worse on 360. Have both versions and I am not seeing this, both games look near identical.

I didn't think it would bother me.... but the frame rate is killing me. Mid to low 20's really butchers my eyeballs and hurts the immersion of the game world. I spent about 5 hours with the game last night. I'm enjoying it, but still waiting to be wow'd.
I just finished Trevors first mission where he goes on a rampage... so far the jewelry heist has been the highlight.

omonimo

Banned
Forgive my syntax, anyway I have noticed a strange graphic glitch or whatever in the ps3 version. It seems GTA V not has graphic reflection in the glass of the windshield or in the windows, to be honest it seems lack completely the glass O_O. It's just a bug or a smart trick to avoid the pixelated low buffer on ps3? Because it's quite weird to see car without glass. Meh, I have to wait the ps4 because I found quite noticeable this lack, hope is just my copy broken.

Decided to buy the PS3 version last night, and man, the framerate sucks in the city areas while driving. I was not bothered at all by the framerate in The Last of Us even though it often hovered below 30, because the action in that game is never very fast paced.

In GTA5 the driving just hammers home how unstable the motion is. That's the only point I really notice it, but you do a lot of driving in this game. :(

Row

Banned
It's interesting to see the PS3 not only be on par for such a major 3rd party release, let alone even be the better of the two but the differences are incredibly minor.

Those dips to 20fps though...the pc/next gen versions can't come soon enough

JackHerer

Forgive my syntax, anyway I have noticed a strange graphic glitch or whatever in the ps3 version. It seems GTA V not has graphic reflection in the glass of the windshield or in the windows, to be honest it seems lack completely the glass O_O. It's just a bug or a smart trick to avoid the pixelated low buffer on ps3? Because it's quite weird to see car without glass. Meh, I have to wait the ps4 because I found quite noticeable this lack, hope is just my copy broken.

I noticed something similar on the 360 version. Not with cars but with some of the large windows in *slight spoiler*
Franklin's Vinewood house
I found it pretty much impossible to distinguish the wall of glass windows from the doorway opening. They look exactly the same because there is no reflection or glare on the glass to distinguish them.

Hip Hop

It's interesting to see the PS3 not only be on par for such a major 3rd party release, let alone even be the better of the two but the differences are incredibly minor.

Those dips to 20fps though...the pc/next gen versions can't come soon enough

Have you gotten to play under water?

The frames drop to like 15 frames there. When you take a peek out of the water with the submarine, you can see how badly the frames dropped without the water effect.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I asked this in the official thread but this seems a better place to ask it: Anyone else find the evening/night sky bands and flickers like crazy? like its running in 16 bit color or something? (360 version).

mocoworm

I asked this in the official thread but this seems a better place to ask it: Anyone else find the evening/night sky bands and flickers like crazy? like its running in 16 bit color or something? (360 version).

I am 5hrs in on 360 with only one disc installed. I haven't seen / noticed this at all.

PS3 wins out in what may be the ultimate last big effort on these two machines. It's fair to say that no other game will be bigger than GTA V.

The South Park RPG will be a big deal, but not nearly as much as GTA V is. A nice win for the PS3 here.

South Park? Don't see why that'd be a big deal, especially considering how "simplistic" the visual style is(Though as it's an Obsidian game, it's likely to be a battle for the crown of 'least buggy version').

Off the top of my head (Probably forgetting something I'm sure), the last two current gen only titles it'll be interesting to see are Arkham Origins and Ninja Gaiden Z imo. Though as those are both running on UE3, 360 will probably be better easily.

Has anyone spent a lot of time on both versions?

I spent most of my time on PS3 due to the DF giving it the edge. After quite a few hours, I got kinda irritated at the controller which never happened to me before (though I normally play shooter type games on the 360, I never had issues with controller playing resistence 1-3, killzone etc)

I only tried the beginning of the 360 version but it seemed to look identical to me, I dont see the ground texture issues DF raised and framerate seemed comparable. Anyone played both a long time and comment if the framerate drops on 360 are common, or infrequent enough not to be a problem?

I was thinking of restarting 360 version if it ends up playing near the same 99% of the time but I would have to play a ton of hours to match my story progress with PS3 version.

BibiMaghoo

Has anyone spent a lot of time on both versions?

I spent most of my time on PS3 due to the DF giving it the edge. After quite a few hours, I got kinda irritated at the controller which never happened to me before (though I normally play shooter type games on the 360, I never had issues with controller playing resistence 1-3, killzone etc)

I only tried the beginning of the 360 version but it seemed to look identical to me, I dont see the ground texture issues DF raised and framerate seemed comparable. Anyone played both a long time and comment if the framerate drops on 360 are common, or infrequent enough not to be a problem?

I was thinking of restarting 360 version if it ends up playing near the same 99% of the time but I would have to play a ton of hours to match my story progress with PS3 version.

I think the general gist is that the PS3 version is the one to play, being very slightly better. It seems that both have performance issues, so it doesn't really matter which version you play. You may as well carry on with what you have done on PS3. You'll get no benefit from starting again on 360.

nib95

Banned
I'm still getting streaming issues on X360 even though I didn't install the play disc.

Streaming issues exist even if you don't install the second disk. It's only pop up in and other issues you avoid from not installing the second disk (unless you install it to a USB stick), but the ground texture streaming issues remain either way.

El_Chino

You should try installing it to a USB anyway, drive wear and tear can affect performance too.

Streaming issues exist even if you don't install the second disk. It's only pop up in and other issues you avoid from not installing the second disk (unless you install it to a USB stick), but the ground texture streaming issues remain either way.
I see. Could I move the install disc to a USB from the HDD?

I'm still getting streaming issues on X360 even though I didn't install the play disc.

It's quite likely your hard drive is very fragmented. I've had this happen on my 360 before and doing a reformatting of the hard drive completely fixed it. Just make sure you back up all your saves before doing it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Sort of. Like this?

colyeftu.png

yes. and it sometimes seems like when you look around it changes brightness levels and flickers between levels inside the different bands (and I'm not using any dynamic contrast settings, TV is calibrated by myself over the years, as a video engineer it would be pathetic if it weren't)

Top Bottom