• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

LeleSocho

Banned
Dungeon Meshi 31
T9T73s7.png
Thank you for this, this has to be the first thing we all thought when we saw that panel.

Honestly I couldn't either. I thought Laius was mid/late twenties but after rereading the flashback chapters and looking at the math, he can't be much more than in his early twenties/late teens.

No way he's younger than 26, he's totally in his late 20s.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why would he address Chilchak as "mister" if they were the same age?

In c26, Laius and Faryn leave their village. They look like kids, maybe 6 and 10?
In c27, Faryn is at magic school with Marcille, she looks to be early teens, like 10 or so which would make Laius 14.
In c22, the gravekeeper places Faryn's age at around 20.
In c6, we learn that Laius and Faryn they started adventuring 3 years before Faryn was eaten by the red dragon. Which would make Laius 23-24 at most.

Shengar

24-25 is sounds about right. Though perhaps it does kinda make sense to Senshi's eyes considering many humans looks older that their actual ages. If dwarves, elves, and halfling looks relatively the same until very late to their age, then it's a nice touch of worldbuilding in Dungeon Meshi yet again.

Tripon

Hey, anybody want to talk about how Naruto and Berserk are totally similar. In fact, Naruto is a better Berserk.

remz

Berserk really mishandled it's themes of friendship and hard work. I hope guts and griffith can be best friends again

Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 50

I don't know much about magical girls, but I don't think going around creating lewd situations is something they're known for.

Mousou Telepathy 151 - 156

I like this a lot better when its nanako and mana. Though maybe its because there's really no development with anyone else.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
U19
This is every YA dystopian novel ever.

Dungeon Meshi 31
T9T73s7.png

/dead

Dungeon Meshi 31

I'm pretty sure Chilcak already know how it work...
Senshi not knowing how old is Laius is one neat joke since Laius other dwarf friend also don't know what considered young or old for human. I guess dwarfs don't care.

Edit: i'm guessing Laius is about 24-25 y.o

Koi no kotoba 1

There's dick licking 5 pages in...

EDIT: FINISHED READING YOOOOO WTF

LeleSocho

Banned
Why would he address Chilchak as "mister" if they were the same age?

In c26, Laius and Faryn leave their village. They look like kids, maybe 6 and 10?
In c27, Faryn is at magic school with Marcille, she looks to be early teens, like 10 or so which would make Laius 14.
In c22, the gravekeeper places Faryn's age at around 20.
In c6, we learn that Laius and Faryn they started adventuring 3 years before Faryn was eaten by the red dragon. Which would make Laius 23-24 at most.

Can't argue with that!
Still... he looks like late 20s in my eyes so i'll treat him as such.

Usobuko

Banned
Goddo Hando is just a poor man's Akatsuki.

I'm sure Guts and Griffith will team up to fight the Idea of Evil for the finale.

Zweizer

Banned
Yuri Otaku Family (One-shot) by Tamamusi

A girl introduces her (gyaru!) girlfriend to her family, who is more than enthusiastic to meet her. Pretty fun short story, and their various reactions are amusing.

Numb

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 1-47

This guy is as dense as a neutron star
And the girl isn't helping much with the teasing
Just an innocent crush story with a chick with the strongest poker face ever

Numb

Mousou Telepathy 150-156

He's gonna die of embarrassment the day he finds out shes been reading his mind all this time

Jump Issue #12 Rankings

Demon Prince Poro's Diaries (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
1.My Hero Academia
2.One Piece
Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
3.Haikyu!!
4.Spring Weapon No. 1
U19 (CP)
5.Hinomaru Zumou
6.Black Clover
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
We Never Learn
7.The Promised Neverland
8.The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
9.Gintama
10.Samon the Summoner
11. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
12. Ole Golazo
13. Amalgam of Distortion (END)
14. Demon's Plan (END)
Chronicle of Isobe ~Life is Hard~

Fairy Tail 520 - 521
C4t2Z6gXUAE2c6W.jpg:small

Mashima still knows how to make me feel good after reading a chapter. Natsu Igneel discussion was one of the best in the past hundred or so.

And then Gray at the end, its happening!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Jump Issue #12 Rankings

1.My Hero Academia
2.One Piece
3.Haikyu!!
4.Spring Weapon No. 1
U19 (CP)
5.Hinomaru Zumou
6.Black Clover
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
We Never Learn
7.The Promised Neverland
9.Gintama
10.Samon the Summoner
12. Ole Golazo
14. Demon's Plan (END)

Oh wow, two series ending. Still need to make way for all the new stuff. Three down, three to go.

Yamajo 241-242
C4t4YUZUcAA3xd8.jpg:large

Well I guess the writer decided to go all out on pleasing us Yamada Miyamura fans, the drinking party was hilarious but also so pleasing with the proposal if only the manga could end there and he not go for shiraishi (also should have done the miyamura and yamada ring shopping).

I wish more had been done with Kurosaki, maybe he can show up next chapter, can he still be Miyamura obsessed.
C4t3ttsWcAAB0Qd.jpg:large

Beyond that, I also like Yamada line to Shiraishi calling her boring, and then she reacted in her usual way. Glad she finally came back to them.

mdubs

Banned
Jump Issue #12 Rankings

1.My Hero Academia
2.One Piece
3.Haikyu!!
4.Spring Weapon No. 1
U19 (CP)
5.Hinomaru Zumou
6.Black Clover
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
We Never Learn
7.The Promised Neverland
9.Gintama
10.Samon the Summoner
12. Ole Golazo
14. Demon's Plan (END)

Goodbye Demon's Plan. Nothing of value was lost.

Ole Golazo is next, but it'll be interesting to see what else is axed. Both Hinomaru and KnY have terrible sales and good rankings, but that didn't save Shika High. I'm amazed at that Spring Weapon ranking

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma Popularity Poll Results:

1) Erina (3350 votes)
2) Hisako (3081)
3) Alice (3042)
4) Soma (2795)
5)Megumi (1862)
6) Shinomiya (1669)
7) Rindou (1353)
8) Takumi (1207)
9) Nikumi (743)
10) Hayama (737)

mdubs

Banned

1) Erina (3350 votes)
2) Hisako (3081)
3) Alice (3042)
4) Soma (2795)
5)Megumi (1862)
6) Shinomiya (1669)
7) Rindou (1353)
8) Takumi (1207)
9) Nikumi (743)
10) Hayama (737)

Rindo is 6 spots too low, what is this

1) Erina (3350 votes)
2) Hisako (3081)
3) Alice (3042)
4) Soma (2795)
5)Megumi (1862)
6) Shinomiya (1669)
7) Rindou (1353)
8) Takumi (1207)
9) Nikumi (743)
10) Hayama (737)

Awesome Taku is top 10 even after vanishing for a bit, hopefully this informs the writer to keep more plots with him.

Surprised no kurokiba ryo.

I'm going to ignore that poll because as usual all Japanese popularity polls are worthless trash.

But holy crap! I finally found one of the manga I was looking for that I saw in Japan!

There was a manga that was right next to and sold in the same piles as Kumo desu ga, nani ka? which is the "Isekai except I'm a low-level trash-tier mob spider" manga which I enjoy, but it was about a dude who gets reincarnated into a slime monster in an isekai world. And I finally figured out which one it was after some searching (read: remembering I was looking for it and googling it).

It's called Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken Hopefully it's actually good and not dumb. Let's find out!

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken 1

This is dumb.

37 year old virgin? Fucking cut it out Japan.

*keeps reading*

cntr

Banned
from what I hear, it became dumb

shame, because I thought the premise was really good when I heard of it too

I mean, I got spoilers for Kumo desu as well that don't jive with me
she gains a human form where she basically just has eyes she can close and that's all
and it annoys me that they don't just like...the appeal of your series was that your character was non-human and a weird creature that you don't normally see so you...give them a human form down the line and it's like "I never asked for that, cut it out"

Ace of Diamond Act II 67

I hope we get to see Cheetah Kuramochi-senpai steal a base again, Im so jealous after seeing the how fast the other team is.

I love that Sawamura is actually doing well with that end page strike. Keep it up!

Jump Issue #12 Rankings

1.My Hero Academia
2.One Piece
3.Haikyu!!
4.Spring Weapon No. 1
U19 (CP)
5.Hinomaru Zumou
6.Black Clover
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
We Never Learn
7.The Promised Neverland
9.Gintama
10.Samon the Summoner
12. Ole Golazo
14. Demon's Plan (END)
Huh, seems like Spring Weapon might have a future

Jump Issue #12 Rankings

1.My Hero Academia
2.One Piece
3.Haikyu!!
4.Spring Weapon No. 1
U19 (CP)
5.Hinomaru Zumou
6.Black Clover
Kimetsu no Yaiba (CP)
We Never Learn
7.The Promised Neverland
9.Gintama
10.Samon the Summoner
12. Ole Golazo
14. Demon's Plan (END)
Whens our next BLack Clover color page?

Zweizer

Banned
Hinamatsuri ch61

Poor Mao still can't catch a break from all this.

Prison School ch242

Cheer up Kiyoshi, you still have Hana! wwwwww

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun ch84

They sure are dense. RIP Waka.

Inugami-san and Nekoyama-san ch24

These dang millenials!

The Ancient Magus' Bride ch36

Sheesh, she didn't leave unscathed. Dragons sure are dangerous.

I'm going to ignore that poll because as usual all Japanese popularity polls are worthless trash.

But holy crap! I finally found one of the manga I was looking for that I saw in Japan!

There was a manga that was right next to and sold in the same piles as Kumo desu ga, nani ka? which is the "Isekai except I'm a low-level trash-tier mob spider" manga which I enjoy, but it was about a dude who gets reincarnated into a slime monster in an isekai world. And I finally figured out which one it was after some searching (read: remembering I was looking for it and googling it).

It's called Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken Hopefully it's actually good and not dumb. Let's find out!

This is dumb.

*keeps reading*

I've read all the current fan-scanlated chapters and the translated chapters of it's light novel. Let's just say that the intro until he get's his human form is boring & then end is losing my interest but the middle is pure gold.

Slime Datta Ken is like "what if Re Monster had an actual fucking plot"

Super slow pacing but it's finally starting to have an actual story instead of trying to be some kind of isekai version of Dungeon Meshi.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

This is dumb.

*keeps reading*

Erina being a moe-dork was always going to be a draw.

Numb

Black Torch 2

I like it. It follows the typical action tropes but hits all the points enjoyably.

Art seems cool too
Wanted him to control the power by himself but that might leave nothing for the cat
The animal talking is useful and comedic

UQ Holder

Have you heard that Kirie is the best girl? Because she is the best girl. And holy shit at that beatdown Touta threw at Negi before the rest of the gank squad showed up. I didn't think he'd be able to actually bring it that hard against Negi this early.

I've read all the current fan-scanlated chapters and the translated chapters of it's light novel. Let's just say that the intro until he get's his human form is boring & then end is losing my interest but the middle is pure gold.

Slime Datta Ken is like "what if Re Monster had an actual fucking plot"

Super slow pacing but it's finally starting to have an actual story instead of trying to be some kind of isekai version of Dungeon Meshi.

I mean, I've certainly read worse. You can do a lot to get me into an otherwise blah manga by having an interesting premise or characters.

But then later on I just get more angry than if it was just boring because it wastes it's unique idea so poorly.

Truly, a double edged sword that I apparently willingly thrust myself upon.

Erina being a moe-dork was always going to be a draw.

Well of course. Japan is still always wrong, it's sort of astonishing how shit their taste is regularly.

Shouta

Gate ~Jietai kanochi kakutatakeri Vol 1-10

Did a brisk read through of the tanks I bought since I've read them before. The manga definitely includes more things in it to build up the setting and the like over the anime. The creation of the city around the Gate was a bunch more pages, there are more minor and side characters, There's a side story that helps build Yao and Itami's general relationship a bit. Towards the end of Vol. 10, we're introduced to Hardy officially and the encounter with her gives the manga a slightly different direction. Hardy also confirms Tuka is into women too in their meeting, as she was looking for another lover since Rory turned her down. The manga also drops a few hints more strongly so it's nice to see them actually confirm it, heh.

A lot of the major story beats are in for sure but I'm enjoying the additional work they're doing to flesh it out. The 4-komas that are at the end of the volumes are really funny. The extra chapters that sneak in are great too. They had one showing how Worf, a wolfman that works security in town under Rory, and Meia, the catgirl that works the PX counter, spend their first paid vacation.

Goodbye Demon's Plan. Nothing of value was lost.

Ole Golazo is next, but it'll be interesting to see what else is axed. Both Hinomaru and KnY have terrible sales and good rankings, but that didn't save Shika High. I'm amazed at that Spring Weapon ranking

I say KnY is safe, the mangaka would of had a 3-4 week notice of a quick axe and right now the latest chapters are in the middle of a healing arc (MC and his boys got thrashed hard) which is going at a normal pace instead of rushing towards an end. Hinomaru I have 0 clue where its at or how its changed if its going into a quick axe, and yeah Spring Weapon has seemed to found some life so maybe it has avoided the axe this round.

Also next issue
Weekly Shonen Jump #13
Cover, Lead CP: Hungry Marie(New Series by Ryuhei Tamura)
CP: Samon the Summoner, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Boruto

I enjoy that the MC of the GATE 4komas is basically the feather girl who wasn't killed in the bandit group who becomes security chief of the camp town. It's a nice little character change.

Correct me if I'm wrong but KnY outranks and outsells Samon and its continuing to get color pages and isn't in fear of cancelation I think both are safe for awhile unless all 6 of these new series all collectively become the next one piece.

Top Bottom