• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Booter

I couldn't buy big lots of games like that. I think it takes out a lot of the fun in collecting. It sure is a more economically sound strategy though.

why do you assume I bought them in "big lots"? that doesn't make any sense. nearly every game was purchased individually, the exceptions being lots which had only 1 game I wanted.

Chinner

Banned
so far I have the original GB, pocket, colour, GBA and SP. but i'm just going to sell all of them except for pocket and SP, as the SP will become my main machine for playing all GB/A games.

just have to wait for my sp charger to come then i can continue playing link's awakening...

Linkhero1

so far I have the original GB, pocket, colour, GBA and SP. but i'm just going to sell all of them except for pocket and SP, as the SP will become my main machine for playing all GB/A games.

just have to wait for my sp charger to come then i can continue playing link's awakening...

Possibly the best handheld game ever!!!!

I only have DX but I will buy the original soon enough.

-KRS-

why do you assume I bought them in "big lots"? that doesn't make any sense. nearly every game was purchased individually, the exceptions being lots which had only 1 game I wanted.

"this is a picture of the pile of 'games I'm trying after I've bought them'" seem to imply that you bought that whole lot of games recently.

Booter

"this is a picture of the pile of 'games I'm trying after I've bought them'" seem to imply that you bought that whole lot of games recently.

that makes absolutely no sense. it's a pile of different games, that I'm playing, after buying them, individually, off of ebay. how does what I wrote imply that all the games were purchased together? answer: it doesn't.

edit: if I posted a picture of five PS3 games and said "this is the pile of games I'm playing right now!" would you automatically assume that all five games were purchased together in one lot?

Linkhero1

that makes absolutely no sense. it's a pile of different games, that I'm playing, after buying them, individually, off of ebay. how does what I wrote imply that all the games were purchased together? answer: it doesn't.

It sort does imply you bought them at once. I'm not saying you did but the wording kind of leads someone to believe you bought a lot of GB/GBC games.

If you said "Here's a pile of games I bought over the (insert: months, years, decades) that I have yet to play," then it wouldn't sound that way.

edit: if I posted a picture of five PS3 games and said "this is the pile of games I'm playing right now!" would you automatically assume that all five games were purchased together in one lot?
Not necessarily because one would assume you have a single PS3. When you buy things, you can buy them in bulk which is more believable than one playing several games at the exact same time.

Chinner

Banned
Possibly the best handheld game ever!!!!

I only have DX but I will buy the original soon enough.
yeah I got dx too, still have the box and manual in good condition. not really bothered about getting the original, more interested in getting oracle of ages ( have seasons) or lttp gba or minish cap.

still need to play seasons actually, I got stuck as a kid and never played again.

edit: LA is still my favourite zelda tho

Linkhero1

yeah I got dx too, still have the box and manual in good condition. not really bothered about getting the original, more interested in getting oracle of ages ( have seasons) or lttp gba or minish cap.

I've got those. Minish Cap's my top priority at the moment. The problem is I can't find it for cheap.

still need to play seasons actually, I got stuck as a kid and never played again.

I feel as if Ages is the better game overall, but you should definitely finish Seasons.

edit: LA is still my favourite zelda tho

internet high-five

Teknoman

When playing on a TV do you guys prefer GBplayer or Super Gameboy for original GB games? Also would a Super GB 2 be worth it for playing GBC only games, or is it pretty unnecessary if you have a GBP?

Booter

When playing on a TV do you guys prefer GBplayer or Super Gameboy for original GB games? Also would a Super GB 2 be worth it for playing GBC only games, or is it pretty unnecessary if you have a GBP?

SGB2 does not play GBC-only games, only black cart GB/GBC games.

-KRS-

I always use the Super Game Boy for regular GB games because they just look better on that. The way games look on the GBPlayer reminds me of emulated GB games. GBA games are just fine though, but it seems to emulate GB/GBC games rather than having the actual hardware in there.

Also unless you have a better controller, the GC controller isn't very good for playing 2D games on with that small D-pad. So the SNES wins there as well.

hswbaz

Neo Member
Not much of a story but spent a good 3-6 months trying to find a Final Fantasy VI Advance (back when Gamestops still sold GBA games) that wasn't too pricey. No luck, but I did find FFV and have enjoyed that a lot.

Myriadis

Here is my list:
GB & GBC
Links Awakening
Link Awakening DX
Oracle Of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
Fifa 98
Alien 3
Quarth
Alleyway
Test Drive 5
Bugs Bunny & Lola Bunny
Turtles: Fall of The Foot Clan
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Super Mario Land 2
Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land 1
Wario Land 2
Castlevania Adventures
Wizards and Warriors X (you know, that platformer from Rareware)

GBA:
Minish Cap
Golden Sun
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Spyro-Season of Ice
Game and Watch Gallery Advance
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Advance Wars
Wario Land 4
Yoshis Island

I think that's all. I keep them in a box that's getting too small. Need to find a bigger box.
Recommendation:
game_and_watch_galler2kuxn.jpg

The box says that there are only 6 games, but in fact there are 20. No, really. You can unlock 14 games by getting more points in the single games and 11 of them even allow you to choose a more modern graphical style. If someone wants to know about G&W games, they should give it definitely a try.

I personally also really like Wizards and Warriors X, but others seemingly don't.

I actually have every single one of my GBA complete in box. By the time I got a GBA I was old enough to know the value of keeping the boxes. There were always a bunch of GBA games I wanted to get from the local store that actually carried them, but never got around to it. Looking at them now, the prices of ssme games certainly got up there...

Anyone have luck finding rare/collectible games for not too much money in those display cases at Gamestop, or are they wise to that stuff and will charge a lot of money?

I've kept an eye out for any of the GBA Castlevania games whenever I pop into the local GS but haven't seen one in a while. Same with Metroid Fusion or Zero Mission.

I realize none of those games are particularly rare (I don't think) but surprised I never see them for sale given that there's usually 100+ games in the case.

I like the GBA player a lot for the Gamecube but I found it does lag with certain games (Like the Sonic Advance games) and isn't able to run as quick as the normal system would. And I'm using this on a CRT so...but it still does a great job regardless so I can't say I'm disappointed with it!

Now I could use a Super Gameboy...

Roge_NES

For those planning to buy a GBA SP here's a little info, there's 2 types of SP models, AGS-001 and AGS 101.

AGS-001 - This model has a Front-Lit display, colors looks washed out and not as bright.

AGS-101 - This model has a Back-Lit display, this is the good one! Colors look bright and crisp.

Here's a comparison, AGS-001 on top and AGS-101 on the bottom.
2e4fc0ce5ed311e2866422000a1f9c90_7.jpg

The best way to tell which model is which is just by looking at the back of the Gameboy.

0.jpg

HYDE

Banned
I need to look into the Warioland games. Also if you guys want plastic cases for GB/GBA, best things to use are the original DS cases with the GBA slot. Nice for cover art if you dont have the original box, but you have to do a little editing for GB and GBC games.

Just use 3DS cases, they fit in there perfectly, no modding required.

Parallacs

For those planning to buy a GBA SP here's a little info, there's 2 types of SP models, AGS-001 and AGS 101.

AGS-001 - This model has a Front-Lit display, colors looks washed out and not as bright.

AGS-101 - This model has a Back-Lit display, this is the good one! Colors look bright and crisp.

Here's a comparison, AGS-001 on top and AGS-101 on the bottom
The best way to tell which model is which is just by looking at the back of the Gameboy.

On the flip side, the AGS-001's backlight can be taken apart and easily be put in a classic gameboy.

I haven't tried it but it would be worthwhile if one can find a poor quality SP for $5.

I have a few in my collection but nothing worth showing. Must buy some more sometime.

Can anyone help me on a name of a game. You had robots that you collected and battled. Battle's where kind of like a 2D fighter. Used to play it a lot as a kid but lost the cart and forgot the name...

Wild guess is Metabots? What platform was it for GB, GBC or GBA?

After some searching this afternoon I found the game I was referring to, Thanks for the help, the game is Power Quest for the Game Boy colour.

-KRS-

Sadly it didn't, you would need to import it.

Actually I've seen them myself here in Sweden. It was just in a regular game store that had some retro stuff. They wanted way too much for any of their SPs though, so I didn't get one. But it did say 101 on the bottom whereas the others didn't.

jbueno

Here´s my little collection, mostly GBA games, and a sealed Virtual Boy game thrown in.

Excuse the crappy phone pic.

All of those I bought new when available in stores, except for the Fire Emblem and most of the Pokemon games which my brother gave me recently. There are still holes in my collection, but I´m too afraid of boots to buy online.

Def Jukie

If anyone is looking for a good way to store GBA games you should try out binder sleeves like these made for business cards.

oos350-711673-847__1.jpg

They fit GBA games perfectly. I like using trading card sheets for original GB and GBC carts but don't like doubling up my GBA games like many people do in those bigger sleeves.

Teknoman

SGB2 does not play GBC-only games, only black cart GB/GBC games.

Oh, Guess i should cross that off my list then.

im interested in how you can lock a gb cart in a 3ds case though.

EDIT: Collection -

jPlKmc2hEY8rQ.jpg

The cases are DS cases with cover art from http://www.thecoverproject.net/ Still need to make some for the rest of my loose games. I've got Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon, but not sure if I want to keep it or replace with the original Genesis game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just bought this for $37 shipped from japan.

Megaman V would cost ~$70 alone if I bought the US version. Much much cheaper to get the japanese versions instead.
Yep. I bought all of the Rockman World games for just this reason (though I do have the US versions of 1 and 3 as well). Same deal with Rockman X series on the SNES.

I just got my lot of Gameboy games from Goodwill...

Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
Metroid 2
Mega Man 2
Kirby's Dreamland
Alleyway
Tetris

Only paid 20 for them...now to see if any of them work, haha!

Mzo

Aw skeet skeet motherfuckers:

BC7rS1jCYAETqZl.jpg:large

Aw skeet skeet skeet skeet:

BDGDL72CIAA87Yk.jpg:large

Sure wish I had a boxed Xtreme 2. I found this one super cheap but it's all dirty =/

Chinner

Banned
goddamn, someone outbid me and beat me to the GBA version of a LTTP. good thing for the seller is that i helped him get an extra tenner i suppose, but boo-urns, i wanted it :(

good thing is i got mario And luigi Superstar Saga though!

Timeless

Just bought this for $37 shipped from japan.
Did you use a courier service as a go-between between you and JAPAN? Do you or anyone else have suggestions for buying stuff from Yahoo Japan auctions or whatever? Most all of them only ship to Japanese addresses so a third party is needed.

plc268

Did you use a courier service as a go-between between you and JAPAN? Do you or anyone else have suggestions for buying stuff from Yahoo Japan auctions or whatever? Most all of them only ship to Japanese addresses so a third party is needed.

Just ebay. I've used Tenso in the past for amazon stuff, they'll probably work with Yahoo Japan as well.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Even though the GBA is still my favorite handheld of all time, my collection is still pretty meager. I only started tracking down my favorites again just recently, now I'm moving on to stuff I haven't tried and am interested in (like Screw Breaker and Starfy)

Teknoman

Even though the GBA is still my favorite handheld of all time, my collection is still pretty meager. I only started tracking down my favorites again just recently, now I'm moving on to stuff I haven't tried and am interested in (like Screw Breaker and Starfy)

Damn GBA JP boxes have great art. Well except Advance wars.

Het_Nkik

I use Japamart for Yahoo Auctions stuff. They're system is set up so you can bid on auctions through them and it goes through instantly. Their service fee + bank fee on the auction + shipping within Japan + shipping to your home can really add up, though.

Damn GBA JP boxes have great art. Well except Advance wars.

MMZ4 and Fire Emblem 7 (and MMZ2 for the most part) have the same box art in the US. I think the shape and unobtrusive branding just help make it look a lot better.

What did people think of the Donkey Kong Land series? I only had the second one for a time and I thought it was fun enough, really liked how well the music sounded. Looked pretty good too even with the lack of backgrounds!

plc268

What did people think of the Donkey Kong Land series? I only had the second one for a time and I thought it was fun enough, really liked how well the music sounded. Looked pretty good too even with the lack of backgrounds!

They were good for their time, but honestly, if you don't hold any nostalgia for them, they're hard to go back and play.

-KRS-

Hmm, I bought Super Donkey Kong GB (the Japanese version) last month and I can't say I really liked it very much. I don't know why but I just didn't like it. And I never owned those games when they were new. The music was decent but I thought not nearly as good sounding as the SNES games. Maybe the later games in the series are better.

Edit: I mean, compared to a lot of other platformers on the GB I guess it's actually pretty good. I guess I'm just comparing them to the SNES games.

Sora_N

Man, I missed buying games stored in cardboard boxes. Sometimes they'd be really damaged even in the package though. I loved GB/GBA box designs, I never owned a GBA though. I was subscribing to NP during most of the GBA era but during that time I wasn't into handhelds as a kid anymore. :(

Can someone give me an idea on "normal" and "good" prices for general GBA, GB and GBC games???

Im trying to see if my local store is ripping me off. They have something like "normal games for $10" and "rare games for $15"

Just starting to build my collection.

Het_Nkik

And make sure to only check out completed listings.

Also, examples of "normal" and "rare" games? Because I think actual rare games would be a lot more than $15, even for loose carts.

I have a feeling they're selling "stuff that's still warming shelves at Walmart and Amazon NIB" for $10 and "games that aren't still warming shelves but definitely aren't rare" $15.

Top Bottom