• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

Dany

Banned
Can someone spare a code, I was going through it and was sort of confused by the menu layout, that and I didn't have my audio up.

Thanks!

EDIT: OMG YAY, just signing up and they give you the code! I don't think I actually completed any of the sequences, but I went to my codes and it was listed

Wiggum2007

maybe they're not in the game afterall, or not in the demo :(

These are the concept people voted for, someone said those hair made it into the game for people to use:

yrvAt.jpg

Well I guess a few hairstyles maybe look like 1-3, they're kind of non-distinct though. Definitely don't see 4-6.

Wonko_C

WTF. I failed all 3 times .. I don't get it .. I followed the sequence in the preview box below and still failed.

It looks like it's based on luck. On my first try I followed the sequence and I got a Normandy avatar item, I tried with another facebook account afterwards and I tried doing an "X" sequence in a different order each time and got my demo code on the second try.

X-Frame

It looks like it's based on luck. On my first try I followed the sequence and I got a Normandy avatar item, I tried with another facebook account afterwards and I tried doing an "X" sequence in a different order each time and got my demo code on the second try.

Oh really? I was looking for a tell or something .. I didn't even think it would be just luck. Now I gotta wait 2 hours to fail again. Lol.

Facebook thing worked, does this grant access to the Multiplayer portion aswell?

Multiplayer only opens up february 17, I think.

All right, my thoughts:

The feeling of dread I got when talking to Sovereign for the first time during ME1 was present there right from the very beginning. The Reapers look awesome.
There's something a bit off about movement... Shepard is a lot slower than he was in ME2. Maybe that new armor weighs a lot more? The weapons feel heavier and so do the ablities: Charge is still awesome. The enemies are tougher, though: those Cerberus grunts can whoop the floor with you if you're not careful. I only played on Normal, I can't imagine what Insanity's like. From what I heard, it's tough as nails.

Surprise surprise, the Kinect functionality's actually pretty awesome: at least the 'giving commands' part. I don't see myself shouting orders at my teammates while the rest of my family's at home watching TV, but it's pretty cool and it works most of the time. My only gripe with it is that the characters don't inform you of what they're doing: I yelled 'Garrus - Overload' five times before I realized he was still stuck in his global cooldown. If the characters could just call out 'Doing it!' or 'Can't right now!' in response to what you're doing, that would be a lot better.

Facial animations are kinda iffy, as some people noted. And Vega does seem to be rather annoying. :lol Also, I'm not convinced Stuart Beattie's still voicing Mordin. It sounds like him, but I don't remember how his placeholder voice sounded so I'm not sure.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Took me all of like 15 seconds to enter that game, win, and get a code.

That was pretty easy.

MacBosse

Alright someone help me out with some Mass Effect lore ...

First, the reapers cleanse the universe every 50.000 years or organic life? And it has happened before? How the hell did life evolve all the way to humans in that short time frame? What am I missing?

Second, OMG at Mr.Trapz in the demo.

First, the reapers cleanse the universe every 50.000 years or organic life? And it has happened before? How the hell did life evolve all the way to humans in that short time frame? What am I missing?

They cleanse the galaxy of technologically advanced life. In ME2 it's established that they harvest them to create more of their own: the Reapers you see in ME3 are all an amalgam of millions of beings, one species per Reaper. Should give you a general idea of how many times they've done this.

I think the Reaper cleanse the universe of intelligent life.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If the Reapers wipe out all galactic life, then why we still got monkeys?

JambiBum

Multiplayer only opens up february 17, I think.

All right, my thoughts:

The feeling of dread I got when talking to Sovereign for the first time during ME1 was present there right from the very beginning. The Reapers look awesome.
There's something a bit off about movement... Shepard is a lot slower than he was in ME2. Maybe that new armor weighs a lot more? The weapons feel heavier and so do the ablities: Charge is still awesome. The enemies are tougher, though: those Cerberus grunts can whoop the floor with you if you're not careful. I only played on Normal, I can't imagine what Insanity's like. From what I heard, it's tough as nails.

Surprise surprise, the Kinect functionality's actually pretty awesome: at least the 'giving commands' part. I don't see myself shouting orders at my teammates while the rest of my family's at home watching TV, but it's pretty cool and it works most of the time. My only gripe with it is that the characters don't inform you of what they're doing: I yelled 'Garrus - Overload' five times before I realized he was still stuck in his global cooldown. If the characters could just call out 'Doing it!' or 'Can't right now!' in response to what you're doing, that would be a lot better.

Facial animations are kinda iffy, as some people noted. And Vega does seem to be rather annoying. :lol Also, I'm not convinced Stuart Beattie's still voicing Mordin. It sounds like him, but I don't remember how his placeholder voice sounded so I'm not sure.

I don't know if you just didn't hear it or not, but I know that Garrus says "On it" when he does it. Not sure about Liara though.

I don't know if you just didn't hear it or not, but I know that Garrus says "On it" when he does it. Not sure about Liara though.

Either he didn't say it or I just didn't hear it. They respond when I tell 'em to move, but that's it. Maybe I'm going deaf. :lol

JerkShep

Apparently the "Numerous" option about the combat loss doesn't change anything..Wrex, Garrus and Mordin are still there. Maybe it's an option for the full game? Oh well.

Time to try Sentinel.

jediyoshi

Was not expecting the default femshep to look so cartoony, here's what I've been rolling with

U4pGn.jpg

Yay for pink hair and the return of the code box

Sai

Got a second avatar prop along with the demo too; sent it to a friend.

I wanted to go through ME2 a couple of more times, but this demo is going to be such a huge distraction!

Man is Vanguard Charge really disorienting for anyone else too? It's the way you just warp forward and the camera doesn't follow you forward until like the instant you hit your target.

This. It felt weird and I hate that they took out the animation for the Charge. I ME2 there was a pause plus the animation where it seemed like he built up the power in his arms and then pushed forward. In ME3 he just warps.. Weird..

And I'm sorry but I dont know what it is but the graphics are good and like not good. I think someone mentioned cel-shade. Well yea that is how it can look at times. I have been replaying the games and I don't care if everyone disagrees with me but I really feel ME graphics were better. Maybe not on a technical level but they looked more real. They are almost 3D on my Tv(Bravia 55" 3D). But since ME2 I just can't seem to get the settings right to make it look great like ME.

So far I have to say I am not too impressed with the demo. Even the Reapers don't seem that as threatening as I thought they should. I think it is in the writing and the presentation. I think the running sequences should have had Reaper fire included. The sense of urgency just wasn't there. I fear for the future of the series based on the demo.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so like I said before the app crashed on me, and I was locked out. I noticed I did have access to the My codes menu so I went ahead and check and lo and behold.

eQLhb.jpg

Sai

Ok so like I said before the app crashed on me, and I was locked out. I noticed I did have access to the My codes menu so I went ahead and check and lo and behold.

eQLhb.jpg
... I hope you weren't "wise" and redeemed it before posting that image. :p

KKRT00

holy shit.. it looks and plays good.

http://www.abload.de/img/20120211-12173201d1xi8.jpeg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/20120211-121857z7zdu.jpeg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/20120211-121925tca3b.jpeg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/20120211-1228445czte.jpeg
http://www.abload.de/img/20120211-124421v5a03.jpeg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/20120211-1254263iz2r.jpeg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/20120211-123437ljd32.jpeg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Really low res DOF. AA seems like FXAA.

Bah, tried the Facebook app but got locked out for 2 hours.

Although I absolutely loved 2, my hype for this has been fairly nonexistent for some reason, but I expect the demo to rectify that.

Lots of positive feedback, I wanna play!

Top Bottom