• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A friend knocking on deaths door. Prayers please.

I Haven't had much sleep the past couple of days, so I hope this post will be somewhat coherent...I have a friend who I've known for over 15 years,has had a rapid decline in health. He is an alcoholic who has, because of excessive drinking, destroyed his liver. He has severe jaundice and stage four liver failure. He had quit drinking several times over the years, and I tried to warn him of the consequences if he didn't quit, But since I don't drink, I don't want to pretend I know how difficult an addiction that is to fight.
Sadly, because of his condition, he reached a point a little while back where he couldn't work so he has no insurance. Because he is an alcoholic, he cant be put on the list for a liver donor for a year. He has given up and says he wants to go home and die. This is not the frame of mind he would normally have, so If you would, please pray for this situation that he can somehow pull through this. If you don't pray, send positive thoughts please. Its a very trying time right now because this is the time of year my father, who passed away not too long ago, is heavy on my mind, and we lost a family friend less than two weeks ago. Thanks in advance...

Sorry to hear that, sending positive vibes your way.

Maybe with this being tough you could offer to do shopping for the family or something like that? In these situations little things tend to be overlooked and being out shopping while hard for you would be even worse for the family.

Dunki

I can only imagine how you must feel. Last year 2 people I cared very much about died in between 6 Months and it was a real terrible time. All you can do is support him. Maybe invite him to some Christmas "dinner" like its now the best time for this. Spending time with the person is a good way to make him understand that people still care about him.

I really hope everything turns out ok and I am sending my positive thoughts to you.

Are his parents American, OP? If not, he may have inherited a kind of dual citizenship and maybe he could get emigrate to their country of birth and get on the liver list there, or maybe get better healthcare at least?
I only mention this because many local politicians here (in Aus) recently got kicked out of Parliament because they didnt know they had legal ties to another country, despite knowing their parents were born there etc .
At any rate, I wish him the best of luck.

dysonEA

Said a prayer that his liver will be completely healed and that it would bring him a new found faith in God. Really hope things turn around for him. Lost my dad 5 years ago. It’s always really tough.

Blam

Just tell him that he has people around him that care about him, and to try and push through all of this, and make it to the other side a newer person.

He can get through this. It might be a tough battle but he'll come out with a different outlook on life.

JP

I do truly hope that things work out for the best for all concerned.

I'm not religious so I won't offer prayers, although I so suppose they can be useful as a form of contemplation for the people who believe and perform them. Hopefully they'd give your friend peace if they used that tool.

LoveCake

I hope your friend pulls though.

Just tell him that he has people around him that care about him, and to try and push through all of this, and make it to the other side a newer person.

He can get through this. It might be a tough battle but he'll come out with a different outlook on life.

I have to agree with this.

cereal_killerxx

Praying for you and your friend man! Prayer is very powerful and effective. I've seen God do some amazing things in my life and those around me. Amazing healing miracles that have completely blown my mind. This stuff is for real. Just remember, God is on your side. He didn't cause this. God comes to give life more abundantly. It's the devil who comes to kill, steal, and destroy. Hang in there bro!

Preezy

Praying for you and your friend man! Prayer is very powerful and effective. I've seen God do some amazing things in my life and those around me. Amazing healing miracles that have completely blown my mind. This stuff is for real. Just remember, God is on your side. He didn't cause this. God comes to give life more abundantly. It's the devil who comes to kill, steal, and destroy. Hang in there bro!
Why won't God heal amputees?

Preezy

I don't have all the answers, but I do know that God is loving and He is real.

I don't need you to provide ALL the answers, just the answer to that one simple question. If God is real and he answers prayers, then why in the history of the human race has an amputee not managed to have their lost limbs regenerate?

This is the single most important question you can ask about God.

cereal_killerxx

I don't need you to provide ALL the answers, just the answer to that one simple question. If God is real and he answers prayers, then why in the history of the human race has an amputee not managed to have their lost limbs regenerate?

This is the single most important question you can ask about God.

I've actually heard of many stories of this type of healing taking place but have not actually seen it myself.

Preezy

I've actually heard of many stories of this type of healing taking place but have not actually seen it myself.
I really really *really* doubt that those stories are true. But please, prove me wrong!

The reason why I use the amputee question is because it removes any potential ambiguity or coincidence. People that lose limbs never have those limbs grow back. Ever. Doesn't happen. This means that you can effectively and accurately prove that prayer doesn't work by showing that even if a billion amputees all prayed (and everyone else on Earth prayed for them) their limbs would not grow back. It wouldn't happen, you know it and I know it. Why wouldn't it happen? Because prayer doesn't work. Why doesn't prayer work? Because God doesn't exist.

I guess God was having a bad day when he created the parasitic worms in Africa that burrow into children's eyes, blinding them for life. Or was it an ingenious ploy to get more people to pray for healing?

cereal_killerxx

I really really *really* doubt that those stories are true. But please, prove me wrong!

The reason why I use the amputee question is because it removes any potential ambiguity or coincidence. People that lose limbs never have those limbs grow back. Ever. Doesn't happen. This means that you can effectively and accurately prove that prayer doesn't work by showing that even if a billion amputees all prayed (and everyone else on Earth prayed for them) their limbs would not grow back. It wouldn't happen, you know it and I know it. Why wouldn't it happen? Because prayer doesn't work. Why doesn't prayer work? Because God doesn't exist.

I'm sorry man. I don't have the answer. All I know is a relationship with God is worth more than anything to me. His peace has kept going in the midst of my Dad's stage 4 lung cancer, my cousin possibly going to jail today, not being able to find close friends, and everything else going wrong in my life. I hope things get better for you bro.

Preezy

I'm sorry man. I don't have the answers. All I know is a relationship with God is worth more than anything to me. His peace has kept going in the midst of my Dad's stage 4 lung cancer, my cousin possibly going to jail today, not being able to find close friends, and everything else going wrong in my life. I hope things get better for you bro.
Did you pray for your dad to get better? For your cousin to not go to jail? For you to be able to find close friends? For the other bad things in your life? Why didn't God help? What good is he if all he does is ignore your pleas?

I'm sure you're a good person that tries to live life the right way and treat others well, so why would God ignore you yet help out other less deserving people? Seems like you're doing it all on your own to be honest. Maybe that's just his plan I guess, which seems a bit sadistic and not worthy of worship. The irony of people actually being morally superior to the god they worship never ceases to impress me.

cereal_killerxx

Did you pray for your dad to get better? For your cousin to not go to jail? For you to be able to find close friends? For the other bad things in your life? Why didn't God help? What good is he if all he does is ignore your pleas?

I'm sure you're a good person that tries to live life the right way and treat others well, so why would God ignore you yet help out other less deserving people? Seems like you're doing it all on your own to be honest. Maybe that's just his plan I guess, which seems a bit sadistic and not worthy of worship. The irony of people actually being morally superior to the god they worship never ceases to impress me.

As I have learned, some things take time. A have a super long list of prayers that have been answered. Most of them took a long, long time to be answered.

I am most definitely not morally superior. I am in fact still very screwed up. There's no amount of good deeds that could ever make up for the horrible things I've done.

jbartee

actions have domains of influence. if someone is standing across the street from me and i shout at them, there is a high probability that they will hear me. but if someone is standing on the other side of the world, it doesn't matter how loud i scream. that isn't an argument against the efficacy of vocal communication, just a delimitation of its mechanics. it could easily be the case that prayer operates in a narrower domain than what you are suggesting. for instance, perhaps prayer influences a probability space of multiple plausible outcomes. obviously this would make its efficacy harder to demonstrate, since its effects might be difficult to isolate from the surrounding statistical noise. but difficulty of demonstration isn't any kind of proof against the existence of a phenomena either, even thought it's certainly an annoying epistemic can of worms.

not arguing for the existence of god or the functionality of prayer here. just pointing out that this argument doesn't work.

Ichabod

Banned
You're a good person for being there for your friend in his darkest days. We should all be so lucky. Prayers for you both.

Mistake

This isn't exactly the place for a prayer debate guys. Sorry to hear about your friend op. You tried your best and it is a shame he didn't get help before it was too late to fully quit. Remember your family and try to get some sleep.

Skyo

You never know what happens in life and you will need people to support you as much as they need you to support them. Im not religious but I really hope everything works out. Don't break, stay healthy and be hopeful.

Similar event happened to me couple years back. I accepted it eventually. Sounds weird but you're not the only one suffering in this world, its just the way life is. -I say that to myself a lot.

Stay strong, reassure your friend and tell them you'll be there for him. Love & respect OP~

Update: My friend has begun to make quite the turnaround. He decided to fight. His liver is beginning to show signs of recovery (something doctors said wouldn't happen), and normal skin color has begun to return. He is much more aware and alert now, and was even able to walk around a bit the other day. Thank you all for the support, prayers,, encouragement and positive thoughts. Feeling very optimistic about his future. :)

Dunki

Update: My friend has begun to make quite the turnaround. He decided to fight. His liver is beginning to show signs of recovery (something doctors said wouldn't happen), and normal skin color has begun to return. He is much more aware and alert now, and was even able to walk around a bit the other day. Thank you all for the support, prayers,, encouragement and positive thoughts. Feeling very optimistic about his future. :)

Thats great to hear. And especially before Christmas. Keep fighting and stay positive. <3

Senua

praise_jebus_by_semereliif-d4ldhs3.png

Top Bottom