• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like Square Enix might localize Final Fantasy Agito

Glass Rebel

I'll try it like I do with every F2P S-E game. Wonder how this "new chapter every 2 weeks" will pan out and how it'll play.

Midou

Well graphically it looks decent, I'd check out the free version but would not pay a cent for anything.

Phenomic

I personally won't be supporting it - maybe try it for free or whatever but no way will I put down any sort of money to their F2P pay-to-win schemes.

Everyone needs to follow suit with the lady here. Honestly paying into this just sends the wrong message for Type 0 localization and the series going forward. If people show them it works well they have every reason to keep doing the same stuff.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Joke post: Oh. I see how it is SE. Localizes a game but release it for free instead of getting money for it! =D

Serious post: I wonder if they're trying to see how well monetization will work for larger games... Hmm...

Err... I meant to say, how many suckers they can accrue in microtransactions lol.

Takao

Banned
You guys know that just by downloading this you're telling Square Enix you want more, right? They'll just infer that you didn't drop coin on the game because their design was too fair, and will ramp up the pay to win in future games.

Baust

I personally won't be supporting it - maybe try it for free or whatever but no way will I put down any sort of money to their F2P pay-to-win schemes.

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't even feel surprised that this is the title getting localized.

kayos90

You guys know that just by downloading this you're telling Square Enix you want more, right? They'll just infer that you didn't drop coin on the game because their design was too fair, and will ramp up the pay to win in future games.

Not true. Downloading a free game doesn't really mean much outside the fact that people are interested. SE is more concerned with moneymaking. They'll be more interested in how many suckers will actually invest into this type of F2P stuff.

dramatis

I wonder if the "story via polling" thing is going to work internationally or region by region, if they end up releasing the game at different times.

Soriku

Reverse psychology. We all download it but don't pay for anything. That way SE will know we want more Agito stuff but don't want any F2P crap. That way they'll localize Type-0 for sure!

Localize this, but not Type-0?

tumblr_logoolilV71qajwsb.gif

Granted, this type of game is suitable for mobile devices (read: no buttons, limited control required), but I will not touch it with a 10-foot pole. IAP is one of the worst trends in gaming right now. Gameplay mechanics are limited by design in order to maximize how much money can be squeezed out of you, and it works! Then you feel pressure to spend more because your friend Joe has a higher score than you... Even if this game does not go that far, this is the "adapt or die" world SE has to compete with, and I do not think it will end well.

wrowa

Or maybe, just maybe, this will actually turn out to be a decent to great game. I'm not going to boycott a game just for the heck of it. I'm not a fan of F2P games and this seems to be one of the many games where the F2P features are badly integrated into the game design, but as long as it's not been released yet, there's no way to be sure.

not localizing Type-0 but bring this one?
- There will be Energy used up when you do missions, which can be replenished via microtransaction items. You can also pay to continue if you fail a mission, and so on.

yeah fuck you square

kayos90

You can also not use it and play the whole thing at your own pace.

I don't see the problem with microtransactions that can be skipped.

It monetizes an element/aspect of a game that encourages people to pay in order to progress or win. From a business perspective it's ingenious. It just sucks.

fates

I really hope people don't buy this up under the mindset of "maybe it will show them we want Type-0!!!!", because sure that might be your intent but, y'know EXACTLY what Square Enix will see..

"Damn, these guys love our micotransaction mobile games! Convert more franchises to this, stat!"

wrowa

I really hope people don't buy this up under the mindset of "maybe it will show them we want Type-0!!!!", because sure that might be your intent but, y'know EXACTLY what Square Enix will see..

"Damn, these guys love our micotransaction mobile games! Convert more franchises to this, stat!"

How are you supposed to buy a F2P game?

kasane

Wow I called this time to look up my post history!

Edit: I didn't quite predict it, my future telling needs more practice

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Depends on the cool-down time but as a business practice it's definitely low. It's a terrible trend that people need to stop buying into so companies get the message.

Geedorah

My sentiments exactly, I won't play into their gimmick. Hell, I already deleted FF:ATB because all the In-App-Purchase nonsense in the tutorial made me ill.

Manu

Depends on the cool-down time but as a business practice it's definitely low. It's a terrible trend that people need to stop buying into so companies get the message.

But don't they sell like hot cakes in Japan?

Not buying them doesn't mean they'll stop releasing them, it just means they'll stop localizing them.

Assault

Was half-interested until I read that nonsense about refilling energy and whatnot.

Honestly, I would rather just throw down £20 and be done with it, rather than pay a little bit every few minutes.

I was excited for agito before it became type 0 so I'm still excited for this version. Here is hoping it's localized and has a good story worthy of me spending micro transactions to continue.

I would honestly much prefer to just pay one lump sum to play the game sans energy limits or whatever. :( But I'll probably suck it up and deal with my five minutes of gameplay a day.

Goli

Out of curiosity, what other attempts have there been to do a story-driven F2P game?
Guardian Cross and Emperors' Saga are their most story driven F2P games, I think, and to a lesser extent Kaku-San Sei Millon Arthur, Circle of Mana and Sengoku Rumble.

I'll try it like I do with every F2P S-E game. Wonder how this "new chapter every 2 weeks" will pan out and how it'll play.
It'll probably work just like it did for Before Crisis, FF4: TAY and FF DImensions' original feature phone release, where new chapters were released every month until the final chapter.

This would require legitimate effort which SE can't do.
This honestly makes no sense. It requires more effort to do this than to just put the PSP version in HD on XBLA/PSN. I get everyone's salty about it but.. lol.

The thing is most people here seem to believe the game will be built with IAPs in mind but I don't think most have actually played a F2P game made by SE, but oh well.

If it's f2play, then I'm out on this one... Whatever happened to the Final Fantasy series? They couldn't remake the hype that was 6?!?!?!
Oh I'm sure VI will be remade for mobiles soon, like V.

kayos90

This honestly makes no sense. It requires more effort to do this than to just put the PSP version in HD on XBLA/PSN. I get everyone's salty about it but.. lol.

It was a tongue in cheek comment. My bad. T_T

LOL, my horrible prediction came true(or has the makings of being true). On Friday the 13 of all times! This info nugget being snooped out on THIS day can't be a good sign.

Some people might actually be interested in the game, so screaming at Square Enix, how much you hate them, how much this game should totally also be on other platforms, and how it shouldn't be localized at all isn't really a great thread for everyone.

Allow me to play devil's advocate, but if that's the case, shouldn't a majority of threads be shut down and re-uploaded if we wanted to get rid of all the ranting and naysayers. I think, when something generally pisses people off, they should have the right to say so. If they get too extreme, well that's what Mods are for(to give them warnings, or just plain ban their asses). Of course, people who are interesting should have the right to be interested. If there's any personal attacks via hyped up ranters, sure, they should feel the full power of the Mods. Just seemed pretty pointless to remake the thread. It's like building a sandcastle on the beach as the tide's coming in. You build it a little lower and it gets pummeled by waves, so you decide to destroy it and another castle a few feet up the beach. Tide's still coming.

Zomba13

Fuck. Why can't we get proper Type-0 localised?
I guess I'll give this a go though if it is gonna be F2P. Would much rather have Type-0 as from what I've heard this looks simplified compared to it.

Top Bottom