• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there was something in Kemono Friends and it made me wonder if this was some common thing I'd never picked up on before.

I can't immediately recall seeing this sort of thing before. It makes me wonder if knowing Mitty's voice actor would give something away, such as her identity before becoming a Hollow, though at this point I'm not sure how that would be.

Cornbread78

What do you mean by "complete"? Anyways, it's very close to where the manga is, but due to the hiatuses that the manga goes through, when it finally caught up, they ended the anime. Fortunately, where they ended it was a pretty good stopping point.

Still ongoing huh? At least it has a good stopping point. A LOT of episodes to get through.

I'm shocked you watch good shows once in a while :p.

Ouch... It does happen once in awhile.

In memoriam, the greatest HEYBOT! screenshots of all time.

zQWZVax.png
zVKAIwM.jpg
lulxxqn.jpg
hkVczrZ.jpg

Quasar

Convenience Store Boy Friends 11 - Well that didn't quite go in the way my Your Lie in April flashbacks was predicting.Still an episode to go though.

Jarmel

Banned
I just realized Welcome to the Ballroom spent an entire cour on what Haikyuu did in under 10 minutes.

This is an issue with the source material though not the anime.

Thud

Still ongoing huh? At least it has a good stopping point. A LOT of episodes to get through.

Ouch... It does happen once in awhile.

Previously the only good shows are those you picked from the let's watch topics I joined :p.

As for Hunter x Hunter, if you wouldn't know the manga continues it would definitely pass as an ending. However when you progress in this series you will notice that it's a bit different than the regular shonens.

Killua and Gon's character arc are complete at the end of the anime. The manga (on hiatus again) is busy with Kurapika's arc. That's not to say other characters will return, but that will take at least a hundred years at this pace.

Quasar

I just realized Welcome to the Ballroom spent an entire cour on what Haikyuu did in under 10 minutes.

Bug or feature? I prefer things not to be rushed through, which why I'm frequently annoyed by anime based on light novels.

Jarmel

Banned
Bug or feature? I prefer things not to be rushed through, which why I'm frequently annoyed by anime based on light novels.

Bug category. They spent 11 episodes establishing Tatara's motivation, skill level, and relationship with other dancers. Haikyuu did all of that a lot faster and more effectively with Hinata. That way Haikyuu could focus on the more interesting aspects a lot sooner.

It's not about rushing through the backstories but being economical in your pacing and starting point.

moogs

Neo Member
Mad★Bull 34 1–4

Wearing silly disguises cannot detract from the silly ploys that they're often worn for. But this is a work in which a little* suspension of disbelief is required. Those assassins should have probably worn helmets if they were going to operate chainsaws and throw dynamite while riding double on motorcycles. Anyway, one particular scene from this show is a good example of why cats shouldn't be fed pizza; they might find themselves lured into an oven. And in the chaos of all this, a desperate Cindy cried "only love can end the killing," and it just so happens that Mad Bull is one mean love machine.

Mad Bull (John, aka Sleepy, for those who don't know) and Daizaburo made a good team as they learned to cover each other's backs. Ultimately, Daizaburo cared more about the ends than the means, leading him to eventually accept John's unorthodox practices. After learning how deeply John cares for his precinct and seeing how far he goes to protect it, Daizaburo became more than willing to take the bull by the horns in the line of duty. The transformation of Daizaburo's ideology about law enforcement was key to the teamwork between the two police officers. John cared very much about his friends, Kevin and Lily, and extended that same friendship to his new partner in his own unique way—by planning a surprise party of prostitutes to liberate Daizaburo of his virginity. At their core, the two men shared the same sense of recklessness necessary to face off against the equally reckless tank-riding or claw-shredding assassins and "cop killers." Whether it was running over rollerblading thieves in hockey masks or using hockey gear as protection against a laser-firing menace, they formed a rock-solid unit that followed a special set of procedures. Forgoing conventional law enforcement methodology meant that being laced with emergency grenades as undergarments was not only normal but also appropriate for the the most notorious men of the 34th precinct.

The track that accompanied the ending, just before the closing credits, was actually quite good. It was a deep, mellow fusion of acid jazz and sorrow. Snowfall can work much like rain in its artistic use, but it can also convey a more crystallized yet indifferent nature. A wintry setting fit the finale of the series. Perrine speaks to more than just the city itself when she calls it a "monster" that "feeds on misery"; she alludes to the cold, harsh environment created by metropolitan law and order bloated from indigestion caused by toxic crime. Peacemakers are rarely found at the center behind Mr. Koike's designs, nonetheless, John is another undying embodiment of his appeal to humanity with characters that are simply fueled by a lust for love.

Vividred Operation 6–12

There were some interesting concepts in the show, but it didn't seem interested in touching them beyond the surface. The backstory was tight without room to really lose sight of itself. Additionally, the plot seemed taut with bonding scenarios to flesh out the short stories. It didn't want to dwell on plot details. This posture made the show easy to watch, as the direction neatly structured individual episodes in a well-seated manner among the series. Despite featuring a science fiction setting apt for a potential train wreck, the viewer looking for one would be chasing a caboose that doesn't stop. At the tail of the series, the final enemy reared towards a vague climax, but the resolution was straightforward. Regardless of repeatedly butting heads, Akane eventually touched bottom in Rei's heart. In the end, everyone gave Akane a good push from behind. Finally, they made rump roast out of that inter-dimensional, oversized crow through the use of "the light of creation," which was actually just "the power of friendship," according to Akane/Rei. After defending her new hometown, Rei returns to her former one through a dimensional backdoor, all thanks to the humanitarian ∞ being.

Akane's breezy jingle** was infectious. It would have been interesting to see from where and how Rei grabbed her booty of armaments and ammunition. The arena rock style of the music was fine, but perhaps butt-rock might have suited the work just as well. Although I watched this in potato quality, the action was surprisingly decent enough, and the show looked good and consistent overall. Being both a seasoned animator and the character designer must be a real boon to any directorial role. Perhaps the most impressive thing about the show was how little it betrays expectations; it really strived to be an all-around pleasant experience. Bonding seemed to be the overarching theme, from forging friendships to fighting as one when they'd butt up against each other to fuse. All in all, it was an extraordinarily simplistic show with high spirits, and it aimed to celebrate the genres and works it derives its elements from. There was nothing cheeky about it.
––––––––––
* In retrospect, a lot was necessary.
** NSFW

Narag

HEYBOT! 1-50 FIN

Was this a surprise? Definitely. Initially I only fired this up because there was tentative planning on twitter to watch it and engage in ritual cult suicide upon its completion but, alas, only I showed up and you really can't-have a cult with just one person. Thankfully I've grown to love stupidass weird gag anime (hence my shilling for Milky Holmes and Ai Mai Mi at every opportunity) and this was like both of those shows. On drugs. Just a nonstop barrage of STUFF happening. Watching the show is an exhausting experience but in a good way. It never dwells on anything too long and just keeps pushing ahead to its next gag, not bothering to stop to see if the previous landed or not. It's 24 minutes of this shit and glorious.

Of course, it helps the protagonists are so great. I won't say likable as that'd be pretty disingenuous but they're fairly charismatic. They're both so lacking in empathy they border on sociopathy and both Nejiro & Heybot aggressively resist having to do anything that helps others but not their selves because why bother, right? It's a by-product of the show being a metaphor for the onset of adolescence where our young self-centered lead seeks identity, independence, a chance to surpass his father, and to do what all adolescent boys want to do: screw. Nejiru's not picky either. Given the chance, he'd screw man, woman, child, beast, rock, or plant without prejudice. He is the horniest anime protagonist I have ever seen by a country mile.

There's also a great overarching plot that touches nearly everything, giving a sense of gravitas and urgency to events that are untouched by the more comedic nature of the show. Just when you catch a breather from the awful portents of things to come, you're often blindsided with another up to the point where the danger can no longer be ignored and is handled in a manner befitting of a show like this. I won't call it a masterclass in foreshadowing but it does the job.

Do I think this was pretty good? Actions speak louder than words and in a world where I can barely watch 2-3 episodes of a show in a given week, I knocked out 50 in 3 days and I'm a better person for it.

There's also something to be said about how adroitly it handled its reference material, particularly for a kid's show. Sure, some of it's in your face extended bits or episode titles but just so much is blink and you'll miss it stuff like certain cuts from the Cobra or Dangaioh OPs or the use of Heartfield in the Lovecraft episode. I compiled a small list of material sourced below but by no means is it exhaustive as there were also references to romance, school, and even old mecha anime/films/tv shows and a mess of games (JRPGS in particular) that I know exist but I couldn't pin down. There's also tenuous stuff like Gurren Lagann what with the spiral energy but I've no idea if that was just the subs or not. (Thanks to Theonik for the help with Anime Tenchou!!!)

• Actraiser
  • Akechi Kogoro
  • Akira
  • Akira
  • Akuma (Street Fighter)
  • Alien
  • Aliens
  • Anime Tenchou
  • Ashita no Joe
  • Back to the Future
  • Blade Runner
  • Casshan
  • Castaway
  • Cat’s Eye
  • Child’s Play
  • Daicon IV
  • Dangaioh
  • Darius
  • Dark Souls
  • Dawn of the Dead
  • Day of the Dead
  • Die Hard
  • Dig Dug
  • Dirty Harry
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
  • Dragonball
  • Dragonball Super
  • Duck Hunt
  • E.T.
  • Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
  • Final Fight
  • Freddie Mercury
    • Bohemian Rhapsody
    • Princes of the Universe
  • Galactic Cyclone Braiger
  • Gears of War
  • G Gundam
  • Ghost
  • Godzilla
  • Golgo 13
  • Gutsy Frog
  • H.P. Lovecarft
    • Call of Cthulu
    • Shadow over Innsmouth
    • Dagon
    • Dunwich Horror
  • Hajime no Ippo
  • Haruki Murakami
    • Hear the Wind Sing
    • The Wind-up Bird Chronicle
  • Hokuto no Ken
  • Hwa Jai (Fatal Fury)
  • Ideon
  • Independence Day
  • Iron Chef
  • Jackie Chan
  • Jaws
  • Jean Claude Van Damme
  • Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure
  • Ju-On
  • Keroro Gunsou
  • Kiki’s Delivery Service
  • Kosuke Kindaichi
  • Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • Lord of the Rings
  • Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
  • Magic Knight Rayearth
  • Marathon Man
  • Megaman
  • Metal Gear
  • Metroid
  • Misery
  • Mobile Suit Gundam
  • Mothra
  • My Neighbor Totoro
  • Nightmare on Elm Street
  • Oniisama e
  • Pac-man
  • Pineapple Pen
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Pokemon
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena
  • Ringu
  • Robinson Crusoe
  • Robocop
  • Sailor Moon
  • Seibu Keisatsu (?)
  • Shadowgate
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Space Adventure Cobra
  • Space Battleship Yamato
  • Star Trek
  • Star Wars
  • Steven Seagal
  • Subete ga F ni Naru
  • Super Mario Brothers
  • Taiko Drum Master
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  • The Great Escape
  • The Karate Kid
  • The Matrix
  • The Rock
  • The Shining
  • The Thing
  • They Were Eleven
  • Tiger Mask
  • Total Recall
  • Ultros (Final Fantasy)
  • X-Men (film)
  • X-Men vs Street Fighter
  • Your Name
  • Yugioh
  • Zardoz

Vividred Operation 6–12

There were some interesting concepts in the show, but it didn't seem interested in touching them beyond the surface. The backstory was tight without room to really lose sight of itself. Additionally, the plot seemed taut with bonding scenarios to flesh out the short stories. It didn't want to dwell on plot details. This posture made the show easy to watch, as the direction neatly structured individual episodes in a well-seated manner among the series. Despite featuring a science fiction setting apt for a potential train wreck, the viewer looking for one would be chasing a caboose that doesn't stop. At the tail of the series, the final enemy reared towards a vague climax, but the resolution was straightforward. Regardless of repeatedly butting heads, Akane eventually touched bottom in Rei's heart. In the end, everyone gave Akane a good push from behind. Finally, they made rump roast of that inter-dimensional, oversized crow through the use of "the light of creation," which was actually just "the power of friendship," according to Akane/Rei. After defending her new hometown, Rei returns to her former one through a dimensional backdoor, all thanks to the humanitarian ∞ being.

Akane's breezy jingle** was infectious. It would have been interesting to see from where and how Rei grabbed her booty of armaments and ammunition. The arena rock style of the music was fine, but perhaps butt-rock might have suited the work just as well. Although I watched this in potato quality, the action was surprisingly decent enough, and the show looked good and consistent overall. Being both a seasoned animator and the character designer must be a real boon to any directorial role. Perhaps the most impressive thing about the show was how little it betrays expectations; it really strived to be an all-around pleasant experience. Bonding seemed to be the overarching theme, from forging friendships to fighting as one when they butt up against each other to fuse. All in all, it was an extraordinarily simplistic show with high spirits, and it aimed to celebrate the genres and works it derives its elements from. There was nothing cheeky about it.
––––––––––
** NSFW
You get a round of applause for this under-rated post.

Kakegurui 12 END

Well thats an ending with zero impact to it. Very enjoyable show but it peaked super hard with episode 6 (I think) and 11 with everything else varying wildly.

Jabami and the president should have made out at the end.

Vividred Operation 6–12

There were some interesting concepts in the show, but it didn't seem interested in touching them beyond the surface. The backstory was tight without room to really lose sight of itself. Additionally, the plot seemed taut with bonding scenarios to flesh out the short stories. It didn't want to dwell on plot details. This posture made the show easy to watch, as the direction neatly structured individual episodes in a well-seated manner among the series. Despite featuring a science fiction setting apt for a potential train wreck, the viewer looking for one would be chasing a caboose that doesn't stop. At the tail of the series, the final enemy reared towards a vague climax, but the resolution was straightforward. Regardless of repeatedly butting heads, Akane eventually touched bottom in Rei's heart. In the end, everyone gave Akane a good push from behind. Finally, they made rump roast out of that inter-dimensional, oversized crow through the use of "the light of creation," which was actually just "the power of friendship," according to Akane/Rei. After defending her new hometown, Rei returns to her former one through a dimensional backdoor, all thanks to the humanitarian ∞ being.

Akane's breezy jingle** was infectious. It would have been interesting to see from where and how Rei grabbed her booty of armaments and ammunition. The arena rock style of the music was fine, but perhaps butt-rock might have suited the work just as well. Although I watched this in potato quality, the action was surprisingly decent enough, and the show looked good and consistent overall. Being both a seasoned animator and the character designer must be a real boon to any directorial role. Perhaps the most impressive thing about the show was how little it betrays expectations; it really strived to be an all-around pleasant experience. Bonding seemed to be the overarching theme, from forging friendships to fighting as one when they'd butt up against each other to fuse. All in all, it was an extraordinarily simplistic show with high spirits, and it aimed to celebrate the genres and works it derives its elements from. There was nothing cheeky about it.
––––––––––
** NSFW
Reincarnation is real.

Syrinx

BoJack Horseman S4 9

Why does every,fucking episode have to have,an,ending that crushes me in the face,and/or body and/or balls mostly all or balls?

Probably because,it,wouldn't be,BoJack if it didnt.

Kakegurui, Completed - So the "Anime Original Ending" effectively still ends the exact same way the manga does, only with Yumeko having a match with Momobami instead of Igarashi. If there is a second season, which probably won't be happening anytime soon, they can pick back up where the series left off with zero issue.

Onto the episode itself. It was kind of eh. Like MetroidPrimeRib said, the series really peaked with the Midari match. Everything after was the show kind of spinning on wheels. This last episode in particular was also kind of weak on the animation front. I know MAPPA is stretched thin, and it kind of showed here.

The thing I did like about this episode was it kind of provided some closure to Yumeko and Suzui's relationship. The series kept pulling the "Not So Different" Card over and over but in the end it really was Suzui who "gets" Yumeko most. She looked like she wanted to jump his bones when he finally went into full on gamble mode.

Jarmel

Banned
I should mention that I really liked the new Ballroom OP. The music is much better than the first OP and it's storyboarded better as well. The new OP has more memorable scenes such as dancing in the rain and it's more strategic with the depiction of background dancers (such as hiding them) which makes the CGI stand out less. I also got a kick out of this.
hahahahahahaha
They know what they're doing.

I should mention that I really liked the new Ballroom OP. The music is much better than the first OP and it's storyboarded better as well. The new OP has more memorable scenes such as dancing in the rain and it's more strategic with the depiction of background dancers (such as hiding them) which makes the CGI stand out less. I also got a kick out of this.

hahahahahahaha
They know what they're doing.

I think this would have been one of the times they had used some stock image for that moment of the op and put it in a few episodes later. I thought it kind of ruined the surprise of her character in the episode, since i thought she was just typical random school bully, not secret ballroom dancing enthusiast

zulux21

god damn you guys

Goblin Slayer. I've cheered and I cried. I love this hero.

Essentially a very specialized antisocial warrior in a guild who only takes quests to kill goblins.

Think Batman meets Dark Souls meets Berserk.

I'm hooked.

And yes, if this guy wasn't inspired by Dark Souls I'd be genuinely surprised. Looks like a light weight Havel's set.
what studio is doing the animation :p?

RedEther

Welcome to the Ballroom 12

Animation was on point great episode all around

New OP and ending is amazing

Kinda sad they removed the bully from the first episode who's supposed to be sitting behind Tatara in high school. There's a really good scene there in the manga but it really sucks it wasn't included.

Next episode we get to see Chinatsu leading Tatara which should be great

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have to admit it's kind of funny I've been watching anime in Japanese for a decade and I still don't know a lick of the language. Like I know a word/term here and there, but 99% of it might as well be gibberish.

Sandfox

I think this would have been one of the times they had used some stock image for that moment of the op and put it in a few episodes later. I thought it kind of ruined the surprise of her character in the episode, since i thought she was just typical random school bully, not secret ballroom dancing enthusiast
Her design stands out too much for that lol.
Welcome to the Ballroom 12

Animation was on point great episode all around

New OP and ending is amazing

Kinda sad they removed the bully from the first episode who's supposed to be sitting behind Tatara in high school. There's a really good scene there in the manga but it really sucks it wasn't included.

Next episode we get to see Chinatsu leading Tatara which should be great

The bully stuff was ultimately dropped from the story and it looks like they are trying to catch up to the manga so it makes sense.

zulux21

I have to admit it's kind of funny I've been watching anime in Japanese for a decade and I still don't know a lick of the language. Like I know a word/term here and there, but 99% of it might as well be gibberish.

I studied some, but I have watched so much that while I don't know exactly what is being said, a lot of times I know what is going on screen without seeing it due to how many cliches anime uses lol.

that being said I am pretty sure my japanese vocabulary is at least 300 words.

my favorite word is Gyuunyuu... just a fun word to say :3

I throw out Gyuunyuu no ichigo at people randomly for the heck of it lol.

I should go back to studying japanese.... I will need it for itadaki street.

what this is an anime thread so I figured I would ask about who is animating the manga :3

Jarmel

Banned

Yea that was a little bizarre in its placement in the episode. They should have probably cut the OP and saved the surprise for the end of the episode.

Symphogear AXZ 12

HIbiki has both the best and worst birthday. also some timely tackling of the misuse of weapons of mass destruction by reckless world leaders. sasuga symphogear.

Jintor

like 15 episodes of pokemon sun & moon

this show is such a dumb joy. the animation is so lively.

highlights:
- a bartending orangutang
- olivia the klutz
- a kanto episode that was basically 'make as many first season references as you can in one episode'

ash is pretty dumb tho

mdubs

Banned
Her design stands out too much for that.
Agreed. Keeping the surprise would have been cool, but probably unrealistic with the key art (as well multiple manga covers) being the way they are with her on them.

New OP is so so so good.

Yea that was a little bizarre in its placement in the episode. They should have probably cut the OP and saved the surprise for the end of the episode.
This makes sense, or they should have just had the new OP start next week and keep the first cour one for this week.

god damn you guys

Goblin Slayer. I've cheered and I cried. I love this hero.

Essentially a very specialized antisocial warrior in a guild who only takes quests to kill goblins.

Think Batman meets Dark Souls meets Berserk.

Too bad the manga has enough gratuitous rape to make post-Eclipse Berserk seem tasteful. I mean, they're pretty much set up as porn.

Ballroom 12

New opening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCwprwbtsc

Another good episode. They series just got out of a tourney so this could be a more relaxing episode, but it moved at a good pace. Gaju-kun as a bro is fun ('Mako's boobs have got bigger!' was hilarious, or when he got embarrassed asking his phone), Shizuku is the friend but archrival (an curious twist imo, as people expected to be Hyodou), Sengoku-san's dance was decently animated and the blue theme to represent oceans waves and the twisted camera perspectives were unique and interesting visual motifs. And Sengoku's fight, lol. And of course we have a deliciously smug tsun saying 'how lame!' to Tatara.

Eh... they are different series, with different starting points.

In Haikyuu the main protagonist starts already being passionate by the sport and being an active player in a tourney, while Ballroom they do a Hajime no Ippo / Slam Dunk of starting from zero.

It's only an issue if you think there was nothing interesting in the first cour, which I disagree.

In the other hand, theoretically someone could argue that Haikyuu spends too much time with the 'king of the court' subplot, or that the good part starts once Kageyama and Hinata are friends so the starting point should be around the equivalent of episode 4. All very subjective, obviously.
(Where I really think they wasted too much time was in the training arc at the start of the second season, that was nine episodes straight of training!).

Kakegurui 12 ENDWell thats an ending with zero impact to it. Very enjoyable show but it peaked super hard with episode 6 (I think) and 11 with everything else varying wildly.

Jabami and the president should have made out at the end.

Yea, this wasn't the MAXIMUM LESBIAN GAMBLING I wanted.

Kakegurui, Completed -The thing I did like about this episode was it kind of provided some closure to Yumeko and Suzui's relationship. The series kept pulling the "Not So Different" Card over and over but in the end it really was Suzui who "gets" Yumeko most. She looked like she wanted to jump his bones when he finally went into full on gamble mode.

I didn't need this. There were so many different episodes were I legit forgot this dude even existed.

This last episode was meh, but fun series overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom