• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Yappadappadu
(Today, 11:32 AM)
You sure you're not confusing it with the LG player? I don't remember any Sony announcement. Source please.
BumRush
(Today, 11:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Kudo

I went from Panasonic Plasma to KU6300 and was very pleased with the upgrade. The Panny was starting to get permanent burn-in and it was really small for the living room.
PS4 Pro looks awesome on the Samsung. Receiving my LG 55B6 next month so hoping to see even bigger upgrade this time.

Originally Posted by LilJoka

Kuro PDP4280XD to 65 B6 OLED.
Well it's better in every single way, except I find it a tad more juddery for 24fps content. Colours, detail, brightness are just so much better. No regrets. Blacks are also perfect now. My Kuro was good but not this good. Really makes the picture pop more.

Originally Posted by henhowc

went from 9g non-elite kuro to the tcl p series. granted probably not exactly a fair comparison with the latter being a budget tv.

native 4k content looks excellent. anything below that is a mixed bag. 1080p upscaled looks good but 1080i/720p stuff over cable looks worse especially in the motion department. better 120hz lcd sets with motion related settings would probably make it less noticeable though.

screen uniformity is also noticeably worse although i'm not sure if thats just the set or lcds in general as i see this complaint on even the most expensive lcds. dirty screen effect is a lot more noticeable. not to mention the darker corners and flashlighting. local dimming helps with latter, especially on letterboxed content but the darker corners and dirty screen effect is a bit annoying when i notice it in certain situations.

once again i'm comparing a $3000 to a $600 set so...

Originally Posted by BradleyLove

My mate has gone from a 50" Kuro to a 75" Sony x93 and he swears by the Sony.

I have a similar predicament in that I have a Panny VT50 plasma, but y'know, I think going to a bigger TV with 4K and HDR should offset the advantages of an existing plasma.

Originally Posted by big_z

My family went from two high end Panasonic plasmas(board failure) to two mid range 4k LEDs and it's a noticeable downgrade. OLED is really the only way to stay on par or better if you value picture quality.

Thanks for the responses guys!
Theonik
(Today, 11:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Yappadappadu

You sure you're not confusing it with the LG player? I don't remember any Sony announcement. Source please.

That's just iirc. I don't remember what my source was. Sony's player is much better than the LG anyway both in video and build quality. I'd still recommend those three players, though I'd also say look at the lower players in Panasonic's range, largely the same as the higher end model except for build and cosmetics.
ViciousDS
(Today, 11:59 AM)
Just bought myself an LG C7 to arrive Saturday.

Local gaffer bought my KS8000, so he gets to have fun tinkering with that hehe.

Are there any good threads or posts for the preferred settings on the C7? I would possibly assume since the panel itself isn't too different from last years model that those settings might even be relevant.
Yappadappadu
(Today, 12:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Theonik

That's just iirc. I don't remember what my source was. Sony's player is much better than the LG anyway both in video and build quality. I'd still recommend those three players, though I'd also say look at the lower players in Panasonic's range, largely the same as the higher end model except for build and cosmetics.

No DV no buy. Otherwise the Sony player would be my first choice.
Thorrgal
(Today, 12:17 PM)

Originally Posted by ViciousDS

Just bought myself an LG C7 to arrive Saturday.

Local gaffer bought my KS8000, so he gets to have fun tinkering with that hehe.

Are there any good threads or posts for the preferred settings on the C7? I would possibly assume since the panel itself isn't too different from last years model that those settings might even be relevant.

They indeed are. I have a 2014 one and the general guidelines are the same As a rule of thumb turn of all the post- processing effects, like super-resolution, dynamic contrast, true motion etc. Oled light is user preference. Some like it low, around 40-50 but I prefere it high, 90 or so. Contrast around 80-90. Color whatever feels more natural, so 50-60, playing also with the color extension field. It varies with fhe source too, as I tend to prefer it a bit higher depending on the game.

And finally the key to the panel, which is brightness and gamma. On my OLED I use Black level low/brightness 54/gamma medium for most content, but I hear on the newer models it's closer to 50. Black level has to match the rgb mode of your device/source. On the PS4 I think is RGB limited=black level low, RGB full= black level high. In turn, if you chose that option (black level high) you'll have to lower the brightness (to 44 in my case). You'll have to do some research on those. Also, I can't help you with the HDR settings.

Anyway I'm sure you can find better info out there, but hope that can help you get started.
Last edited by Thorrgal; Today at 12:21 PM.
MosquitoSmasher
(Today, 12:23 PM)
I love my 65B6 OLED......

But jesus, it's rather insane how fast retention appears when a very bright picture of something is displayed. For example last weekend with Fortnite. You see a bright yellow box to the right of the screen in loading screens and it's being displayed for barely a minute but i already see the retention of it.

However, no HUD elements like minimap, ammo counter etc....so that's good. Long as it stays that way i'm ok.
Kyoufu
(Today, 12:26 PM)

Originally Posted by MosquitoSmasher

But jesus, it's rather insane how fast retention appears when a very bright picture of something is displayed. For example last weekend with Fortnite. You see a bright yellow box to the right of the screen in loading screens and it's being displayed for barely a minute but i already see the retention of it.

However, no HUD elements like minimap, ammo counter etc....so that's good. Long as it stays that way i'm ok.

I find that so weird. On my E6, it'd have to be hours for retention to be noticeable on a loading screen and even then it's so faint.
Kudo
(Today, 12:29 PM)

Is your OLED brand new? Heard its worse at first.
How fast does it fade away?
ViciousDS
(Today, 12:55 PM)

there is a pixel calibration option that you can constantly use if im aware if any retention becomes annoying
family_guy
(Today, 01:05 PM)

Yeah. I'm kind of concerned what HDR will do to OLEDs over time especially since it's becoming more common.
MosquitoSmasher
(Today, 01:07 PM)

Originally Posted by Kyoufu

I find that so weird. On my E6, it'd have to be hours for retention to be noticeable on a loading screen and even then it's so faint.

Yeah i wish it was the same here. But i do believe some reviews had this in their cons for the B6, that retention appears too fast. It's a big bummer after having owned the EC9300 and never having any retention. It's like i'm fucking returning to plasma or something. I'll definitely pay careful attention to it and if it gets too bad i'll call the store.

Maybe some 65B6 owners can chime in here and tell me if they have this as well. It's only with very bright things. So say you are using Youtube and you see those bright colour boxes or in any game a bright red/yellow/white colored box....that's when it definitely happens.

37 days ago i bought the brand new B6.

This for Example

https://imgur.com/gallery/5kRVq

I displayed it for a minute, plenty of retention after that. It was gone in 40 seconds.
BradleyLove
(Today, 01:08 PM)
65" Sony A1 OLED now ordered to replace my Panasonic VT50 plasma.

Sure, there's some areas in which the plasma is better than the OLED, but the plasma ain't 4K, doesn't have HDR and isn't 65". Plus I'm only paying 2,900 for it thanks to my buddy at Sony Liverpool. 👍🏻
Anarion07
(Today, 01:09 PM)

Yellow seems to be the worst colour in terms of retention. I always notice it in the Amazon Video App on the lower right.
MosquitoSmasher
(Today, 01:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Anarion07

Yellow seems to be the worst colour in terms of retention. I always notice it in the Amazon Video App on the lower right.

Definitely. That's why I'm not yet calling the shop and/or LG. It's nothing like the plasma televisions I've owned where I always had to be careful with static HUDS like games as GTA V and such. I remember on older plasma televisions seeing the minimap retention for quite a while and it's not like that now. I still don't like it though.
RoadHazard
(Today, 01:17 PM)

Originally Posted by BradleyLove

65" Sony A1 OLED now ordered to replace my Panasonic VT50 plasma.

Sure, there's some areas in which the plasma is better than the OLED, but the plasma ain't 4K, doesn't have HDR and isn't 65". Plus I'm only paying 2,900 for it thanks to my buddy at Sony Liverpool. ����

I wish I could just blow that kind of money on a TV. Now, you did get an amazing deal on it. The 65A1 is 60K SEK (5,600) here in Sweden, lol.
Anarion07
(Today, 01:20 PM)

Definitely. That's why I'm not yet calling the shop and/or LG. It's nothing like the plasma televisions I've owned where I always had to be careful with static HUDS like games as GTA V and such. I remember on older plasma televisions seeing the minimap retention for quite a while and it's not like that now. I still don't like it though.

The weird thing is, it's so inconsistend. In the Amazon Video app it happens after like 1 or 2 minutes.

Then again I can have Diablo 3 or Bloodborne running for hours and not see any retention of HUD elements.

Anyway, it's not there for long anyway
BumRush
(Today, 01:20 PM)

Hopefully it's just like plasma in that it gets better over time. My plasma was a retention machine for the first year...now I can leave something on the screen for hours and somehow escape with mild retention at worst.
MosquitoSmasher
(Today, 01:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Anarion07

The weird thing is, it's so inconsistend. In the Amazon Video app it happens after like 1 or 2 minutes.

Then again I can have Diablo 3 or Bloodborne running for hours and not see any retention of HUD elements.

Anyway, it's not there for long anyway

Yep same here man. Been playing Dark Souls 3 last weekend and Fortnite and some GTA V and i never noticed any retention of the minimap or anything like that. However in DS3 i have the option enabled for the HUD disappearing but not for Fortnite and GTA V.
But as soon as something is very bright, Xbox dashboard, Youtube, Crunchyroll, or something in a load screen in a game i will see it.

With a bit of luck this will even improve.

Originally Posted by BumRush

Hopefully it's just like plasma in that it gets better over time. My plasma was a retention machine for the first year...now I can leave something on the screen for hours and somehow escape with mild retention at worst.

Yeah that would be great.

Oh by the way, apparently LG IS working on fixing the HDR game mode:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post54489233

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...l#post54489345
Anarion07
(Today, 01:32 PM)
Since we're talking about the B6, has anyone of you ever had a problem when exiting HDR Game mode and returning to the PS4 OS, that the colours were way off? like green-ish?

edit: Not just for the PS4 UI but also the screensaver pictures (doggo, shroom etc)