• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HALO 3 is now 10 years old

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo is just an other franchise now for them. It doesn't get the acknowledgement that it deserves by 343i or the higher ups. The downfall absolutely started with 343i taking over. We were promised Consolidation Playlist "Patches" and Legacy Support for Halo 3 and Halo Reach, but as soon as Halo 4 released, MS seemingly cut the budget for old Halo games and just didn't want 343i to spend any ressources on the old games. The same shit has happened to Halo MCC. We were PROMISED that a dedicated team would work on the MCC, even after Halo 5 releases. Literally nothing, except putting playlist in order of their popularity (which could have been done by an intern or even the janitor), happened. Plus, they told people at 343i to shut up about the MCC, instead of giving people the answers that they deserve to hear.

The sad truth is, if you expected a MCC fix, a MCC port or even a H3A, you were fooling yourself. But that doesn't mean that I disagree with people. Those things should have absolutely happened. If MS had any goodwill left for Halo they would have done it, as they absolutely have the ressources to pull off all of those. Don't give me the "it doesn't make sense from a business perspective" excuse, because it would absolutely make sense in the long-run. Why they chose to not do it, is a complete different question, especially with the Xbox One X arround the corner. As Madness said in the other thread. Ain't "nobody" coming back for Halo 5 (with a 100GB install) just because they have a Forge playlist or a 4K patch.
I agree with all this.
MS treats their own ips like shit and doesn't really get marketing anymore. And the whole mcc fiasco was the last chance they had to maintain their classic crowd.

I mean they had a running mcc pc port but scrapped it.

ChazGW7

This was and I believe was the most active community I've ever seen for a game. I remember just playing MM then getting a random Custom Games invite, and being in there for hours and hours on end playing with people across the world

Yes, this was awesome. My friends list would just be filled with randoms that either I added or they added me and you would just have this spider web of connections into the craziest custom games maps and modes. It was endless fun and unlike anything ive ever experienced from a community even to this day. Its unmatched.

Gestault

Playing the BC release of Halo 3 was super interesting. In a lot of ways, it holds up as beautifully as Halo 1 did on its ten year anniversary. I wouldn't have necessarily expected that. There were only maybe 2000 people online when I checked matchmaking, but it was cool seeing people still doing the rounds. The campaign still holds up pretty well, especially for co-op.

The additional story segments to Halo 2 in the Master Chief Collection rekindled a lot of what I love about these games, and reminded be that there was worthwhile writing in the games, not just around them. I'm among those who though 4 was solid (and I appreciated the shift in storytelling), and actively enjoyed 5 (even though I thought the squad mechanic was junk in single-player). I hope for the best when they formally announce H6.

For real? whaere did you hear this? God, i would kill for a PC port of MCC just for the campaigns

I believe Jeff Gerstmann noticed that it was running on PC when he played it at E3 back in 2014. He said there was a mouse on the screen at one point and keyboard prompts as well.

Plus wasn't it in the Steam database at one point? It was either that or the individual games (Halo 1/2/3).

This was THE game.

For a year or so after release, no one on my friends list had to even mention the name. "You up for a game" had an implied "of Halo 3" at the end.

Personally, it was also the peak of the Xbox brand, the Halo franchise and Bungie. All three lost me as a fan somewhere along the way afterwards. The Xbox when they started moving focus away from games to Kinect and other uses of the console. Halo when 343 just took it out back and shot it. And Bungie between Halo Reach and Destiny.

jelly

One of my old screenshots. Have to say again, it's night and day between the art styles. Looks so good.

screenshotwdu7v.jpg

So long chopper.

Such a wonderful game. I remeber that some months after I got my first 360 , my parents wen't to travel and gave me and my brother 150 for the week. We went to the store bought Halo 3 a second controller and finished the game that weekend on saturday at 5 am after a whole night of playing

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That menu music medley 😢

I would just leave it playing in the background.

And then Halo 3 Mythic, the ODST disc, was like the remix version.

sotojuan

This game was huge back then. I remember Christmas 2007 everyone I knew got a 360. My friend got two and we had LAN/Xbox Live parties in his apartment. It's funny - I can't stand multiplayer FPS any more but this game was a huge part of my early teen years.

Cpt Lmao

I loved this game so much, Microsoft's handling of this franchise is an utter disgrace.

Imo this is still the best looking and most technically impressive Halo game when you factor in the art style, variety, and number of actions on screen. What a wonderful soundtrack and presentation too.

Laws00

I bought the game on whim because of hype. I went to midnight release with my friends. Played the game thought it was cool.

The next day I played multiplayer..........WOW that shit was something else

That was my first experience with online mulitplayer. Amazing experience. I remember playing this game for hours. When the game was first hot I remember being online at some odd hour and seeing player population just drop and rise as the hours went on through the day. AMAZING

Trup1aya

Yes, this was awesome. My friends list would just be filled with randoms that either I added or they added me and you would just have this spider web of connections into the craziest custom games maps and modes. It was endless fun and unlike anything ive ever experienced from a community even to this day. Its unmatched.

What's equally amazing is how far the community building aspects have regressed since Bungie made halo games.

Fast forward to today- you can't even "party up" with people you meet in a match and you can't talk to people in the lobby. There's a million hoops to jump through to form these connections.

In trends of gameplay and UX/UI, it Baffles me that so much effort was placed into changing halo compared to the effort to preserve the things that made it stand out.

Jeff-DSA

Multiplayer was great, but I ran into the Halo backtrack fatigue in this game more than any. I think I still have mental scarring over playing through Cortana on Legendary. That, to this day, still remains the worst designed level I've ever seen in a AAA game. Truly terrible.

But man, the series has been on a slow slide ever since. 343 just doesn't have the right vision for Halo.

Xumbrega

Banned
Not my favorite Halo (It's Halo CE btw), but Halo 3 had a different aura, it's the biggest game ever and I don't think of any game that could replicate what Halo 3 did, this game also consolidated Halo as my favorite gaming series.

Shit, time to play all the games again for the 1000000 time.

Anteater

I love it, the more open/big maps makes it stand out from all the more linear corridor shooters in that gen, haven't tried coop tho, was too cheap to pay for xblive (so were my friends), if only they'd port it to pc or something

Kill3r7

This was THE game.

For a year or so after release, no one on my friends list had to even mention the name. "You up for a game" had an implied "of Halo 3" at the end.

Personally, it was also the peak of the Xbox brand, the Halo franchise and Bungie. All three lost me as a fan somewhere along the way afterwards. The Xbox when they started moving focus away from games to Kinect and other uses of the console. Halo when 343 just took it out back and shot it. And Bungie between Halo Reach and Destiny.

Oozer3993

The game (and the journey to it) were so much fun. Starting with Steve Ballmer claiming Bungie was working on Halo 2 and 3 at the same (which was a shock to Bungie, because they weren't) all the way up to picking up a copy at midnight from Walmart (with a friend who I'd given strict instructions not to let me get the Legendary Edition).

I watched Microsoft's 2006 E3 briefing and lost my mind when they ended it with the Halo 3 trailer. I remember Bungie employees showing up on Xbox Live playing "Pimps at Sea" and taking an alpha build of the game to soldiers in Afganistan. I remember Monday Night Football in December to catch the first commercial, then immediately hopping onto Bungie.net to enter to win a code for the upcoming beta. I was lucky enough to win, which meant I didn't need Crackdown to get into the beta. Which also meant that I bypassed the problems that kept anyone with Crackdown from playing that first day. I had stayed up the night before until I got the code so I could download the game while I slept. I played so much of the beta. I went 25-0 in a VIP match, a reason, I'm guessing, that the final game gave the VIP a single overshield, instead of the double he or she got in the beta. I remember the numerous leaked videos. The guy who Couldn't pronounce Epitaph ("Epitiah"). The one revealing the remake of Zanzibar that was set to techno music. The Epsilon build. Frankie took a build of the game to Gamescom and showed off Tsavo Highway to the press. But they couldn't film the screen, so one outlet filmed him playing it.

I played all day that September 25th, college classes be damned. The aforementioned friend and I beat the campaign that night with the rest of our housemates looking on. I'll never forget the first time my friend picked up a Gravity Hammer and went to town on the Brutes in Crow's Nest with it. Or when two Scarabs dropped from the heavens on The Covenant. Or heading into a Team Slayer match with another buddy and somehow getting a Perfection medal. And that was just the first day!

The coming months and years would be filled with more memories. Getting to know the guys from the awesome Ascendant Justice website (before a couple actually joined 343 to work on the games). Them schlepping me up to 45 in Team Slayer. An opposing team thinking we were Bungie employees because so many of the AJ guys had Recon armor. Then promising to give them Recon if they beat us. Then clowning on them something fierce. The weekly GAF custom games. Being in the GAF custom game when a GAFfer was proposed to. Going into the Community Cartographers playlist with a bunch of GAFers and playing a map one of them had made. Winning that game 50-3. Going through the campaign with 3 friends on Legendary and discovering that Cortana morphs from the worst mission in the game to one of the most fun (especially if you try to sabotage each other on the way out of the level).

Happy birthday, Halo 3! You are a feature packed delight and my favorite game of all time. Tonight, I will play through The Covenant for the umpteenth time in your honor.

Man, I can still feel the hype surrounding the first trailer dropping like it was yesterday.... Holy shit, time flies. I remember the hype for this game being crazier than any I remember, with some news outlets even showing the midnight release coverage. I was always a PlayStation kid growing up, by my best friend who loved across the street always had halo. I can’t count the number of hours we sunk into this game and sleepless nights we had because of it. Halo 2 and 3 mp in its prime is something that may be never matched for me again, just pure joy!

This was probably one of the most memorable Halo games for me. I'll never forget playing with friends, custom games, how bad I was at multiplayer... but dang, Grifball was fun.

The campaign and story were something I'd never experienced before. Marty O'Donnell is a genius. The art style in this game was perfect. Thank goodness for cooperative play, which was always a blast with friends.

I think that if it wasn't for Halo (and, admittedly, Phantasy Star Universe) I'm not sure I would have had an Xbox.

Herodotus

I have so many memories with this game, i believe it's an absolute masterpiece.

This was, quite honestly, the peak of Xbox and Halo.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
My Xbox 360 red-ringed literally the day before the midnight launch(my first red-ring).

[I ended up buying a new 360 to play it at midnight because I couldn't wait the few weeks for MS to repair].

One of my favorite games ever. It's a shame the MCC fiasco killed any chance of it getting a remaster. Would've loved to have replayed it with modern graphics.

dlauv

After being stuck with a PS3 for the better part of a decade, I picked up a cheap 360 less than a month ago and I'm kind of amazed by these games all over again. I've been plowing through Halo and Gears.

Solid 30fps, 4-player split-screen co-op, gigantic environments, HDR, tons of enemies and the lighting effects from their lasers, and tons of collision/physics interaction. Slap on a map editor and robust replay mode. You never saw this shit on PS3 -- at least not all at once, nor with as much depth. And I remember this game getting shit on for being -- I think -- 540p? It's astounding what we would purport and argue about in terms of "graphics" back in 2007.

Hell, you don't even see this degree of synergy in graphics and features in so many modern shooters.

Throw your gamertag at the end of this link and all of your stats/screenshots/videos are still there: https://halo.bungie.net/stats/halo3/default.aspx?player=

https://streamable.com/acnea

https://streamable.com/vqe66

Here are a couple of mine, I was a scrub but I lived for sticking people ��

Oh man, thank you!

E92 M3

Good times. Sucks that Halo is irrelevant now due to mismanagement.

I won an early copy of Halo 3 from some online contest that Microsoft was involved with.

I believe Jeff Gerstmann noticed that it was running on PC when he played it at E3 back in 2014. He said there was a mouse on the screen at one point and keyboard prompts as well.

Plus wasn't it in the Steam database at one point? It was either that or the individual games (Halo 1/2/3).

That was leftover code from Halo 2 Vista (where H2A came from).

With the controller plugged in.
NR2zdtn.png

When I pressed a button on the controller.
VnK7C9h.png

Kill3r7

After being stuck with a PS3 for the better part of a decade, I picked up a cheap 360 less than a month ago and I'm kind of amazed by these games all over again. I've been plowing through Halo and Gears.

Solid 30fps, 4-player split-screen co-op, gigantic environments, HDR, tons of enemies and the lighting effects from their lasers, and tons of collision/physics interaction. Slap on a map editor and robust replay mode. You never saw this shit on PS3 -- at least not all at once, nor with as much depth. And I remember this game getting shit on for being -- I think -- 540p? It's astounding what we would purport and argue about in terms of "graphics" back in 2007.

Hell, you don't even see this degree of synergy in graphics and features in so many modern shooters.

Oh man, thank you!

MCC being a dumpster fire at launch and still having issues to this day is an absolute travesty for the franchise and Xbox in general.

_Aaron_

Best game in the series. Played over 7000 matches played online. Even after Reach and Halo 4 came out, I returned to Halo 3 multiplayer over them.

Lingitiz

This thread bums me out so much seeing the current state of the franchise. Halo 5 isn't a bad game, but it's definitely not the phenomenon that Halos 1-3 (and even Reach and ODST) felt like. I remember prior to Halo 4 coming and feeling the hype for this super team coming together to build Halo 4 with what felt like an unlimited budget, and then being let down realizing what the game actually was.

I'm not ruling out that 343 can turn it around, but damn they've got a long way to go.

Oozer3993

Getting to know the guys from the awesome Ascendant Justice website (before a couple actually joined 343 to work on the games). Them schlepping me up to 45 in Team Slayer. An opposing team thinking we were Bungie employees because so many of the AJ guys had Recon armor. Then promising to give them Recon if they beat us. Then clowning on them something fierce.

343 just put up a post about Halo 3 and included memories from the team. I geeked out a little bit seeing one of the former Ascendant Justice guys elaborate on said "clowning:"

JEREMY PATENAUDE said:
Hope this doesn’t expose an egregious lack of gaming ethics on my part, but personally my fondest Halo 3 moments were rolling with the dudes from Ascendant Justice on Valhalla in the 2-Flag CTF playlist. We had a vicious pool of talent on that team and an amazingly effective CTF methodology: We would almost always snag two flag captures within the first minute or two of the match. We had some folks on that team who were absolute ninjas. This meant we were almost immediately ahead of the other team 2-0 and needed only one more flag cap to win. At this point, we had a major moral failure, so please forgive what follows: We would steal the last flag and all of the ATV vehicles on the map, then proceed to form a caravan with a Warthog at the front end, holding the flag carrier. The carrier would wave the flag and sing “Wind Beneath My Wings” while we did laps around the map until time was about to run out, when we’d cap that final flag. To be fair, this opened us up for humiliation—hypothetically, the other team had a ton of opportunities to turn the table… hypothetically.

Finaj

343 just announced their Halo 3 Anniversary playlist, which consists of changes to settings and some really close H3 mpas made in Halo 5's forge.

-Motion Tracker range is increased to 25m
-All Spartan Abilities are disabled (Sprint, Ground Pound, Spartan Charge, Stabilize, and Clamber)
-Player jump height is increased
-Slightly increased the effect of gravity on players
-Player movement speed decreased
-Increased player forward and strafe acceleration
-Adjusted shield and health recharge rate to approximate Halo 3 values
-Classic Team Oddball: Reduced ball carrier movement speed
-Classic Multi-Flag CTF: Reduced flag carrier movement speed

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/happy-birthday-halo-3

KDC720

Easily one of my favorite games ever. It got me into Halo and competetive MP shooters in general.

It was a wonderous feature packed game, and community contributions made it better, I spent hours on custom games alone. Halo games always age well I think, but 3 aged the best.

I still enjoy Halo a lot, but I don't think another entry will ever top 3 as an overall package. IMO it is still Bungie's masterpiece.

Top Bottom