• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Reflection Steam storescreens at 720p, hilarity ensues [Supports 4K, 144FPS]

This is probably part of what's going on. Someone mentioned KT games selling very well in China. I'm going to guess this is done for people in the region with very low-spec computers, and also because it's KT and they don't know what graphics options are for.

K-T games with regional pricing (besides RoTK) sell well in China.

K-T games without regional pricing and "scam" prices like Sanada or All Star Warrior sell like nothing in China (and worldwide).

Both of these points are horribly wrong.

They are not when compared to other regions. Both Atelier titles and Azure have most owners from China. DW too and ROTK as well.

And then you have a lot of games that arent even available in China, because for whatever reason K-T locks them for that region.

Ibuki

Banned
It's the same thing as Atelier Sophie and Firis, they both have resolutions options (though there's not many of them, there's at least 1080p and 4K), but the 2D assets are lower resolution than their respective PS4 versions.

Ok, thank you for clarifying.

I haven't played either of those games so I was not aware of this.

So honest question then : Are the PS4 assets truly rendered for 1080P, or did they just upscale them also prior to output from a 720P asset?? Makes zero sense otherwise. I mean unless the Vita port was 720P asset based (doubtful), this means they would've had to go out of their way to reduce the quality of all their assets if they are truly 1080P on PS4....

Someone should take a deeper look at that PS4 version to be honest.

Head.spawn

It's hard to tell because the translation is terrible, but surely they mean if you play on a display larger than 720p.

Why would they say the image would be stretched otherwise?

The 2D images are stretched. aka the textures. Not the entire image itself.

It would've been more clear if they just said 'textures'.

li bur

Man I've never heard of this game before. That's unfortunate though, I would've loved to play some otome Persona. Maybe they know that producing shitty ports would result in such a bad rep and the game would at least become more known.

Just according to keikaku (translator note: keikaku means plan)

lol that is clearly a mistranslation. He probably said the equivalent of "we hope that's fine with you/we hope it's not too much of an inconvenience".

still funny though

ezodagrom

So honest question then : Are the PS4 assets truly rendered for 1080P, or did they just upscale them also prior to output from a 720P asset?? Makes zero sense otherwise. I mean unless the Vita port was 720P asset based (doubtful), this means they would've had to go out of their way to reduce the quality of all their assets if they are truly 1080P on PS4....

Someone should take a deeper look at that PS4 version to be honest.
There were better comparison pictures, but their links have expired, this is the only comparison I could find on Steam's community hub.

PC version of Atelier Sophie:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....310/2AEFE1D6770705FA4A0F333255F9C166B5F1F2F7/

PS4 version, picture reportedly taken from a youtube video:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....827/8F6A6AC7B63665B194223390D9E3A1981FFFABEA/

Even a picture taken from a youtube video looks sharper than the PC version...

JCG

While I don't know whether the game itself is worth purchasing at all in the first place...if I am understanding the original message correctly, it's possible this applies only to 2D assets like menu or window textures and so on, not the textures used elsewhere, such as for the actual 3D character models, right?

Which isn't ideal, I get it, but that's still very different from what the title of the thread and several of the comments are implying (in other words, that all the textures in the game are 720p, or that the game simply doesn't support running at higher resolutions).

If I had to make a wild guess, I assume this sort of decision might be the product of a mix of PC piracy fears, performance issues and wanting to keep the console version as the more appealing choice.

ezodagrom

While I don't know whether the game itself is worth purchasing at all in the first place...if I am understanding the original message correctly, it's possible this applies only to 2D assets like menu or window textures and so on, not the textures used elsewhere, such as for the actual 3D character models, right?

Which isn't ideal, I get it, but that's still very different from what the title of the thread and several of the comments are implying (in other words, that all the textures in the game are 720p, or that the game simply doesn't support running at higher resolutions).

If I had to make a wild guess, I assume this sort of decision might be the product of a mix of PC piracy fears and wanting to keep the console version as the more appealing choice.
I wonder...

Atelier Sophie PC:
http://i.imgur.com/kLJ2tDP.png

Atelier Sophie PS4 (reportedly taken from a youtube video):
http://i.imgur.com/29PIjSy.png

That wood...

nkarafo

But... they already have 1080p assets for PS4? Why do the extra work making 720p ones for the PC when they could just use the same? I don't get this, they do extra work to make an inferior product on a more powerful platform and they want us to not question this?

Edit: Oh they also have 720p assets already for the Vita. But still, what PCs do they think people have?

Speaking of which, are the Atelier ports similarly gimped? I was super excited to replay some of them but I also hate supporting dumb ideas.

ezodagrom

Speaking of which, are the Atelier ports similarly gimped? I was super excited to replay some of them but I also hate supporting dumb ideas.
Atelier Sophie is similarly gimped, that is, its 2D assets are at a lower resolution than the PS4 version. There's also issues with shadows that don't exist in the PS4 version.

Atelier Firis though, it's even more gimped. Not only it has the same lower res 2D assets and shadows issues, it also has worse lighting and is missing ambient occlusion compared to the PS4 version. It pretty much looks flatter.

Atelier Firis, pics taken from youtube videos, but it's good enough to compare.
Vita/PC/PS4:
http://i.imgur.com/JHUcPKv.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why in the fuck would you not just include the 1080p stuff if it's ALREADY IN THE PS4 VERSION?

This is stupid as fuck. What fucking position is there to trust? There's LITERALLY NO REASON TO DO THIS. They fucking WENT OUT THEIR WAY TO RE-DO SHIT AT 720P FOR THE PC VERSION. They fucking spent money to make it a worse version.

How in the fuck do you make such a stupid decision? :lol :lol :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
a93ab702c152842722037o7uvr.gif

LOL This one is great.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Well, I guess I can shrink my wishlist a bit...

There were better comparison pictures, but their links have expired, this is the only comparison I could find on Steam's community hub.

PC version of Atelier Sophie:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....310/2AEFE1D6770705FA4A0F333255F9C166B5F1F2F7/

PS4 version, picture reportedly taken from a youtube video:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....827/8F6A6AC7B63665B194223390D9E3A1981FFFABEA/

Even a picture taken from a youtube video looks sharper than the PC version...

...and a little more.

It's definitely gotten better, but the original PC port of Dark Souls was atrocious. 30fps locks were the norm for a bunch of JP ports.

I'm not saying 30fps locks are justifiable per se, but remember that in a lot of cases these limits were technically difficult to remove, because Japanese devs have a habit of tying physics to the framerate.

Battlechili

Banned
I dunno, I don't feel it's very reassuring considering FFX was locked at 30 fps at launch. I haven't boot up the game in like, forever, so I don't know if the 60fps mod patch someone was working on is working or not.
FFX had game logic tied to framerate during its original development. There's no way to set it to 60fps without breaking the game or spending a significant amount of time changing the way the game works. As such, I don't think its really fair to call that a fault of the port so much as it is a fault of the game. There is a 60fps mod being developed that's been in the works for over a year, but its still not finished.

Tagyhag

Man there really trying to see how lazy of port they can get away . I hope this bombs

Well the funny thing is that it actually takes MORE work to lock down the games to 720p than let them be at an arbitrary resolution.

If they were being truly lazy we would be getting a better port lmao.

prudislav

Well the funny thing is that it actually takes MORE work to lock down the games to 720p than let them be at an arbitrary resolution.
from what i understood 720p is only for 2d assets like menus orconversations ....
(similarly like in Atelier games) ... so thats just different textues for whats just tiny fraction of the game

.. we have no idea about the rest of the game which is 3D and could run similar to Warriors allstars

Tagyhag

from what i understood 720p is only for 2d assets like menus orconversations ....
(similarly like in Atelier games) ... so thats just different textues for whats just tiny fraction of the game

.. we have no idea about the rest of the game which is 3D and could run similar to Warriors allstars

Ah never mind.

Still though, how the heck is porting assets from a Vita easier than the PS4? KT is fucked up.

Top Bottom