• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] Shadow of War developer talks about loot boxes

Can't you use cheatengine if you want to cheat in this game?

Shhh!

But yeah, it worked for MGSV. It's only a matter of time before PC games are forced to be always online to combat CE, or someone sues the people who release memory editors/trainers because they cut into profits from microtransactions.

Deeke[VRZ];249936858 said:
This is fine. WB has spent more money advertising/marketing Shadow of War than any other game in its history (at least according to WB). That takes serious investment.

With lootboxes WB shareholders can recoup their investment over time, publisher gets more money to invest into new IP/new games/new Middle-earth projects, devs update the game for free, game has longer tail and can last 1-2 years with steady stream of content.

Plus I'd like to think the more money Shadow of War makes, the more developers get paid. So I'm fine with optional loot boxes in the long run.

Lol what? This is not fine!

First off devs don't update the game for free, thats why it has a season fucking pass as well. This is WB they will charge you for literally everything they add including the 'tribute' to a former developer that passed away (Money in some cases won't be going to the family because of various states donation laws).

Then you have this nonsense of an idea that the more the money the games makes that the more the developers get paid? No, that is completely and utterly wrong my friend. The only 'bonuses' that many of these developers ever get are not based on sales or profit generated but because of aggregate sites like metacritic and most reviewers knock off points from games like this that abuse micro-transactions meaning any deal that is made about bonuses ends up likely not happening because WB sabatoges their own games scores with how they intend to make additional money off of the game.

Developers won't see a damn cent of extra money from the microtransactions or sales or anything else in most cases. The kind of stuff you are thinking is happening is what the publishers WANT you to think is happening when its all pure and utter greed at the expense of the developers, the games, and the players.

Sorry if I come off as angry its not directed at you but at the publishers who have twisted things in such a way that there are a lot of people like you who actually believe that these things are good for the industry when they aren't even remotely true.

I remember when I could just use some cheat code to unlock stuff I didn't to grind for or to makes things easier...

Now we have this I guess... Randomized and paying cheats. Fuck yea

Gator86

this. in the past it was called a "cheat". enter it and you get unlimited money or become invincible.

and now you can buy it..lol.

Basically. They're just selling cheats, and potentially handicapping players to encourage it. Nothing good about it.

MightyKAC

Every time I read raw, unfiltered bullshit like this from video game developers it legitimately makes me thank god for Jim Sterling.

UrbanRats

That would have earned them my respect but it would have been catastrophic for the game's marketing and the guy would have surely lost his job.
In the end money is obviously much more important for those companies than the respect of a few people. :p

I honestly believe there are ways to be honest* about the issue, without sounding like a complete asshole.

If you say that games have become more and more expensive, and you need to find revenues in other places, to keep the 60$ tag intact, that may or may not be 100% true, but it's still closer to the truth than whatever bollocks is in the OP.

* = Or somewhat honest, anyway.

This is fine. WB has spent more money advertising/marketing Shadow of War than any other game in its history (at least according to WB). That takes serious investment.

With lootboxes WB shareholders can recoup their investment over time, publisher gets more money to invest into new IP/new games/new Middle-earth projects, devs update the game for free, game has longer tail and can last 1-2 years with steady stream of content.

Plus I'd like to think the more money Shadow of War makes, the more developers get paid. So I'm fine with optional loot boxes in the long run.

If this game makes a lot of money it will probably mean they'll invest in more LotR action games. WB never do new IPs so this game being a success will obviously not result in completely original stuff.

Also, the developer may get a bonus based on sales targets but it seems extremely unlikely they'll get a bonus for selling lots of lootboxes.

Hektor

I agree. Better immediately buy a 100 boxes to support this publisher that made this risky, unique game with the money of their generous, selfless shareholders that was made on fair working conditions for their employees.

d9b

Banned
Every time I read raw, unfiltered bullshit like this from video game developers it legitimately makes me thank god for Jim Sterling.
If more 'press' media have balls to speak up and give them hell over this BS, maybe developers would be more apprehensive about implementing this shit. So, yeah you're right, thank god for Jim Sterling.

Ahasverus

If people want to not spend time in your videogame it means it's not good enough, period.

Same old, same old. It's probably a grind fest.
That's not how it works.

TrutaS

His comments made me fear game will start having a "too-hard normal mode" and you have to pay extra for easy. They are already putting hard-modes as DLC so it wouldn't surprise me.

dEvAnGeL

These micro transactions exist because they are hugely profitable, plain and simple, we (video game boards) are a very small part of the people who buy games, these people don’t read reviews, or care for these things, i know it for a fact, all my cousin do in destiny 2 is buy silver to get engrams and he says is the best idea they had for the game, he says all his friends think the same, spend a few extra bucks and save all that time grinding, micro transactions are here to stay, plain and simple.

Velcro Fly

So basically pay $60 (or more depending) and then pay us more to "guard your spare time" and not have to actually play the game because we've tuned the grind to be ridiculous.

Thanks WB for looking out!

Harmen

I already dislike this in MP titles, but keep this shit out of SP experiences please?

No buy from me, I don't believe for even a millisecond that this game won't be a tedious lifewasting grind to unlock basic features, as with most lootbox/microtransaction systems.

dan2026

Why not just say 'we put the loot boxes in there to make more money'.

Just be fucking honest about it. There is no point lying.

ZanDatsu

It's clearly something he has no control over and I think he does a decent of job of damage mitigation, but I would like to see more pushback from devs who see this stuff for what it really is and how it preys on certain forms of human psychology in a gross way. I'm lucky in that I seem to be totally immune to all forms of loot box tactics, but thanks to people like Jim Sterling who shine a spotlight on this stuff, I know not everyone is the same.

I think devs should take a stand if they really care about the experience they want to provide as opposed to the money they want (their publisher) to make.

Because some people think you guys have ulterior motives - that you're waiting for a tough bit to pop up an onscreen prompt saying 'hey... have you seen what we're selling...'

Bob Roberts: No - absolutely not. 100 per cent not

yesoffset0-58e1923c5c6abe5a19672af2-g.gif

There is this weird thing in single-player games though, where you can buy boosts you evidently don't need. I bought the AC:Syndicate Season Pass as it was on sale, and it contains various OP weapons (that I didn't need) and an XP boost, which means I get 10% extra XP for everything. I had thought it was only for an hour or so, but it seems to be permanent. It adds a slightly annoying little indicator on the HUD as well.

Thing is, it is not remotely difficult to reach top level in this game. So in a way, I can believe them when they said they balanced the game without it. I just don't know WHY. I guess it gives some sort of illusion of value?

Skade

I really feel sorry for the devs. They clearly seem genuine about the game, and it really seem to be a good one.

And yet, they are forced to add a bullshit store and have to find ways to defend it to the players.

Such a shame...

I'll still buy the game on launch but i will never put a cent in this damn store.

I mean... The whole point of this game is to get attached to the random orcs you encounter and fight and/or dominate through your playthrough. The ability to pay to get new orcs for your army in a "box" is going completely against it. What the fuck ? And to add to that point : what are they doing in thoses boxes ? Is that how uruks breed ? :p

oti

Banned
I can't believe we're still having this conversation.

Look. Many people nowadays like to play games. Some of them have more time than others. Some want to play through a game like it was intended to. Others just want to see the spectacle. They don't care. They have tons and tons of money, a giant TV, they bought one of those PlayStations to play one of those Assassin's Creeds or whatever. They don't want to grind, don't want to play side quests. They want to play through the game and see the pretty graphics. They see a way to skip some of the more tedious aspects of video games, they'll pay for it.

We're not alking about you or me here. We're talking about some bankers who decided video games were cool and want to play them on turbo mode. They don't care loot boxes are in this. They'll buy them, tell their banker friends about them, maybe even get addicted and try to get everything there is to get out of those loot boxes. These people can generate A TON of money for publishers. That's why loot boxes exist. That's why crappy mobile games generate millions of dollars every day.

The "integrity of video game balancing" or the fact that cheat codes used to be free is irrelevant to them. They just don't care.

Sami+

So why is easy mode free and not this other bullshit

lol

Look. Many people nowadays like to play games. Some of them have more time than others. Some want to play through a game like it was intended to. Others just want to see the spectacle. They don't care. They have tons and tons of money, a giant TV, they bought one of those PlayStations to play one of those Assassin's Creeds or whatever. They don't want to grind, don't want to play side quests. They want to play through the game and see the pretty graphics. They see a way to skip some of the more tedious aspects of video games, they'll pay for it.

We're not alking about you or me here. We're talking about some bankers who decided video games were cool and want to play them on turbo mode. They don't care loot boxes are in this. They'll buy them, tell their banker friends about them, maybe even get addicted and try to get everything there is to get out of those loot boxes. These people can generate A TON of money for publishers. That's why loot boxes exist. That's why crappy mobile games generate millions of dollars every day.

The "integrity of video game balancing" or the fact that cheat codes used to be free is irrelevant to them. They just don't care.

"I can't believe we're still talking about this. Have you ever maybe stopped to consider the investment banker on Wall Street who likes to buy loot boxes in the newest Lord of the Rings video game in between the lines of cocaine they're snorting?"

Just because those people you're describing don't care doesn't mean that the rest of us shouldn't.

hbkdx12

Serious question

Why do people feel like a line is being crossed now that lootboxes have shown up in a single player game? Other than the fact that, as far as I can tell, they're the first ones to incorporate lootboxes into single player and the fact that this incentivizes an "always online" connection (Which other SP games already do with various systems and content tied to being online) why is the caveat being made that they are way worse when put into single player.

oti

Banned
Just because those people you're describing don't care doesn't mean that the rest of us shouldn't.

I'm not telling you to not care. But wondering why these exist? In 2017? The concept of microtransactions in video games in this form isn't new.

"I can't believe we're still talking about this. Have you ever maybe stopped to consider the investment banker on Wall Street who likes to buy loot boxes in the newest Lord of the Rings video game in between the lines of cocaine they're snorting?"

Breaking News: Video games are a business.

If your paid game needs microtransactions to bypass playing the game by speeding it up, it might not be worth playing to begin with.

The business model should be to make a game people WANT to sink time into, not pay to bypass it.

Alienous

It makes sense, especially seeing as cheat codes were outlawed.

Wait, they weren't?

Oh. Their explanation doesn't make sense at all then.

Horp

Fuck em. Much, much prefer the "game dev is expensive 60 bucks isnt enough"-response. This is just LIES

Won

If I ever want to find out how life is without haveing a soul, I will just become a game developer!

You know, there once was a thing called cheat codes that allowed you to do such things if you didn’t want to do it the slow way.

This is a bullshit reason through and through, and always will be.

The death of cheat codes is one of the saddest things in gaming.

SomTervo

People should realise that there isn't a deadline for playing a game.

For some people there is. At least if you want to see all the game's content and not feel like you've wasted your money.

Not defending the devs actions here, just saying 'time is unlimited' isn't necessarily right.

PrimeBeef

People should realise that there isn't a deadline for playing a game.
No but some people value their time and have less of it to play games they like. So the option to hasten some of the grind is a nice choice IMO. Not that I would. I still have SNES RPGs I'm working on from the mid 90s with no rush to finish them anytime soon. But, let's say I am going to school like I am now, and money was no issue and I wanted to brat Shadow of War in a short time period, I would totally splurge on lootboxes to aid that goal.

KORNdoggy

"How can I twist and sugarcoat this without admitting that it's just pure greed..? 🤔"

exactly. if they wanted to give people options, then add cheat codes...that achieves the exact same thing without the need to monetize it. now, i personally don't care much about people spending money to unlock loot boxes in games, as long as it doesn't feel encouraged, and is entirely optional, then that's fine, but i don't want to see a dev chatting shit trying to rationalize and justify it.

I was excited for this game, but now every time I get garbage loot I'll be thinking if its due to lootbox garbage.

I'd rather pay $100 for a no lootbox version and be able to not think about it compared to $60 and have the distraction.

Bullshit. Then make a shorter, compact and interesting game and the banker can play it once and the gamer can play it twice. Don't make it twice as long and pay to remove the filler.

Trying to claim that it's better to give them more money so that they can give us more games is almost literally the trickle down argument. No, give money to those who give you a good game already so they can make more. Not to the ones who take the good half of a game hostage.

Does anyone here have any inkling as to whether these lootboxes will even negatively affect someone who just paid the price of the game? I don't get what the big deal is.

No but some people value their time and have less of it to play games they like. So the option to hasten some of the grind is a nice choice IMO. Not that I would. I still have SNES RPGs I'm working on from the mid 90s with no rush to finish them anytime soon. But, let's say I am going to school like I am now, and money was no issue and I wanted to brat Shadow of War in a short time period, I would totally splurge on lootboxes to aid that goal.
Yeah but they also could just allow those options for free. There is no single reason behind speeding up the game with microtransactions other than greed.

Top Bottom