• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Heysoos

There is rumor of 8-man content coming, when that is and if it is even a full op or something else who knows. Tactical Ops?

I can't wait to get 13 belts in a row out of the RNG boxes.

There's supposed to have been something "better than cross server queues" thing coming too since like 3 years ago.

To me, the loot boxes won't be the end of the world, but I can't understand how a company can be so out of touch with their user base. Most people hate the cartel boxes for getting rare cosmetic gear, and voice it constantly, so why they would put actual stat'd gear behind RNG is beyond me. My only thought is maybe they eventually plan to sell the packs on the cartel market or something.

It's also worth pointing out that F2P and preferred won't get these boxes. Only subs can get raid gear now.

It's also worth pointing out that F2P and preferred won't get these boxes. Only subs can get raid gear now.
I believe they said during the overview stream that you can still get gear through content but this new system is another way of gearing. I have to go back and watch it again to see if I'm correct.

I believe they said during the overview stream that you can still get gear through content but this new system is another way of gearing. I have to go back and watch it again to see if I'm correct.

From what I heard you can get the crafted stuff and the entry-level stuff (formerly comm gear), but raid gear is exclusively for subs.

They are using boxes as carrot on stick, you will keep playing the content and leveling to get more boxes. They know how ppl get addicted to this random crate crap they pay for, so now they hook players into grinding content for boxes.

Course gearing is pointless in this, and don't expect high end content any time soon.

So what is the point of the raid pass now?
To do Operations. Seems like completing operations will count for a great deal of earning the necessary XP to level your Galactic Command stuff to unlock those boxes. Still if it's all tied to sub stuff then its useless for F2P/Preferred players.

It's moments like these that I wish they went back and revamped their F2P tiers.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Maybe I haven't done enough raiding but aren't drops from bosses random as well? If so what's the difference?

I remember going on raids and not getting any gear dropping for my class and if it did I'd generally have to roll against someone else for it.

zugzug

I just resubbed, last time I played was in January 2012. I have 5000 cartel coins, what should I spend them on?

Decide if you are going to unsub and then play as an unsub. If answer is yes, look into buying permnant helmet unlock. If that is something is is important to you. Or perm extra action bars. I forget what else gets taken away as a free sub.

I am.

I thought KOTET is better than KOTFE but still wasn't particularly great - I don't particularly care about Zakuul or Valkorion and his family, and neither the new companions nor the returned ones (save Vette, and Jorgan sort-of) really appeal to me. It was about as good a conclusion to the story arc as I could reasonably hope for, but I'm glad it's over. They did a little better with companion interactions, but their decision to split up the old companion crews and bring them all back for every class (save 4X and Pierce) has created a mess and undermined the interactions/relationships that made the companions memorable and enjoyable in the first place. I don't get the feeling Bioware really cares about doing much with them and would prefer to focus on its special companions/characters and feels obligated to pay lip service to the old class companions.

One thing I did like was that they at least put in some effort to include gameplay mechanics that differed from "Travel down straight corridor, fight 3-5 skytroopers, repeat" to the chapters. But since I wasn't really invested in the story, I still don't really have much interest in repeating the process.

I also don't really have interest in grinding command points, so I will let my sub lapse and wait to see what (and who) is coming with the next expansion. If my favorite companions will be back, I'll consider subscribing again, but we'll see. I don't feel particularly optimistic about what's to come.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I still don't really understand how the new end-game progression system is appealing to like, anybody. It seems like the worst combination of RNG and grind.

I feel like they're using this system because it appeals to Bioware, since it (theoretically) keeps people busy while requiring little effort on their part, similar to how the Dark v. Light event allowed them to try to sell redoing old/existing content as a new event by throwing in some rewards.

The RNG really undermines what would have been the biggest selling point - allowing players who don't want to participate in ops the chance to get the best gear - but Bioware needs that RNG to keep people grinding, since it sounds like the main additions for some time will be the harder difficulties for some group content like the uprisings. I get the impression that this sort of "grind a lot" busywork type activities are what we should expect going forward.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I feel like the system would work a lot better if it was supplemental to a traditional gear drop system instead of a total replacement. Loot just straight up not dropping from enemies at endgame is a baffling design decision for this type of game.

Anoregon

Checking out the official forums over the past few days has been uh, fun. People are really unhappy with 5.0

The new story content is bad or what's the problem?

The biggest issues I've heard with 5.0 stem from the command crates and CXP. CXP is too much of a grind for how shit the odds are that you get the piece you want, and the RNG aspect of gearing up is utter bullshit.

I've defended a lot of shit Bioware has put into the game, or have been impartial to it at least, but this is the first big change that I just can't defend.

Anoregon

Command XP boosts being a thing is also very much rubbing people the wrong way. They are far from cheap, and considering you have to be subbed to even access the endgame command system, it definitely starts to creep towards a pay to win/milk the whales precedent.

Sky87

Going to resubscribe today after about a year, but i want to know if there is a way to get rid of the credit cap when you're not subscribed? There are a few gripes i have with the F2P version, where there are certain restrictions that are pretty offputting. Can't equip certain gear etc.

I'm subscribing for now, but later i may want to continue with a non-sub if the restrictions have eased up a little.

Going to resubscribe today after about a year, but i want to know if there is a way to get rid of the credit cap when you're not subscribed? There are a few gripes i have with the F2P version, where there are certain restrictions that are pretty offputting. Can't equip certain gear etc.

I'm subscribing for now, but later i may want to continue with a non-sub if the restrictions have eased up a little.
Unfortunately there is no way to remove the credit cap on F2P/Preferred accounts. It's all about trying to keep the credit farmers out but it just ends up hurting the legitimate players.

SWTOR is still very much a subscription game even if it offers free-to-play option.

Sky87

Unfortunately there is no way to remove the credit cap on F2P/Preferred accounts. It's all about trying to keep the credit farmers out but it just ends up hurting the legitimate players.

SWTOR is still very much a subscription game even if it offers free-to-play option.

Ok. Any idea how long it will take me to reach the current expansion? I'm at
The base you're given in the previous expansion, where you go out to recruit new companions etc. Just got there and made that big speech. Pretty sure that was the last story chapter available last November.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Ok. Any idea how long it will take me to reach the current expansion? I'm at
The base you're given in the previous expansion, where you go out to recruit new companions etc. Just got there and made that big speech. Pretty sure that was the last story chapter available last November.

I would say 6-8 hrs of story before the new stuff.

Sky87

That's surprising because apparently i've completed all the chapters in Knights of the Fallen Empire. Has there been huge content patches since then?

That's surprising because apparently i've completed all the chapters in Knights of the Fallen Empire. Has there been huge content patches since then?

There are only a total of like 16 KOTFE Chapters. They did not add any content besides those story chapters.

I have been busy with school and other games, but I am looking forward to hoping back into this game again after doing a lot of DvL stuff.

The endgame RNG gear grind sounds like a lot of garbage though and reminds me a little bit of Destiny :(

Sounds like you only completed the initial 9 chapters that were available at launch. They added 7 new chapters since then starting back in February and ending this past July. The patches that added each chapter weren't very big. Most of them were just the chapter and a bonus alert for a new companion.

Since November of last year they added two new Warzones, added PvE instances to PvP servers and vice-versa, and added The Eternal Championship content.

Sky87

Sounds like you only completed the initial 9 chapters that were available at launch. They added 7 new chapters since then starting back in February and ending this past July. The patches that added each chapter weren't very big. Most of them was just the chapter and a bonus alert for a new companion.

That's right, i read the date wrong on their wiki page. I only completed up to Chapter 9 so far, so i got a few days of that first. All good.

Anoregon

There are only a total of like 16 KOTFE Chapters. They did not add any content besides those story chapters.

I have been busy with school and other games, but I am looking forward to hoping back into this game again after doing a lot of DvL stuff.

The endgame RNG gear grind sounds like a lot of garbage though and reminds me a little bit of Destiny :(

That reminds me, DvL - people are also explicitly unhappy with how the entire DvL thing is pretty much nullified by 5.0. DvL, an event which encouraged you to level up alts, is followed up by a patch that makes playing any more than 1 character at max level an incredibly daunting proposition due to Command XP being character-specific. I've seen multiple threads/posts about this specific gripe over the past few days.

The new story is great, everything else is a complete unmitigated disaster. I was worried it would be hard to get a complete 6 piece set piece with repeats, now I'm worried I won't get a single set piece at all. But I do have 4 revenite sniper rifles, so I'm set there.

I unsubbed about 4 months ago and came back for the new exp pack, I'm gone for good at the end of this month.

Also everything I did last night was rolled back by the server, good work EA.

Anoregon

Yeah it's worth a go for the single player leveling experience. They seem to be in a rush to crater the game though so I'd be leery of giving them any money at the moment.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This game dead now or worth jumping in to ?

The game is far from dead, it's still one of the biggest MMOs, but it depends on the server. Some are quite barren.

Are you in the US or EU?

Anoregon

Oh yeah I forgot this game splits NA and EU. I was gonna say I could be convinced to roll up a new char to mess around with you but I guess that's nixed

in other news, it looks like they are finally realizing that people actually like getting gear from killing bosses and stuff instead of just grinding xp and hoping RNG doesn't fuck you:

Gearing Changes in Galactic Command
You can work towards specific pieces of gear through endgame activities.
Elements of working towards those pieces are legacy-wide.
In PvE
Unassembled Gear pieces are a guaranteed drop from the last boss of each Operation, with specific drops on a boss (Ex: Soa dropping chest).
Each other boss in an Operation has a chance to drop any token. Bosses that are later in an Operation have a higher chance then those early in the Op.
Turn in an Unassembled Gear piece along with Command Tokens (which come from Command Crates) to get that piece of gear.
In PvP
Playing any Warzone will earn you Unassembled Components. You earn more based on medals, match outcome, etc.
Turn Unassembled Components into a PvP vendor with a Valor requirement to get an Unassembled Gear piece.
Turn in an Unassembled Gear piece along with Command Tokens (which come from Command Crates) to get that piece of gear.
General Notes
Command Tokens are legacy-wide.
Command Tokens will be retroactively granted to each character based on their Command Rank when 5.1 goes live.

It's still entirely god damn baffling that they thought the system 5.0 launched with was in any way a decent idea or acceptable at all for this type of game.

Syf

Banned
TOR needs to die and SWG 2 needs to take its place. EA is awful. And I say this as a guy who loved SWG and was dedicated to TOR for the first few years. EA/BW don't know how to do an MMO

Anoregon

I'm not as in love with SWG as a lot of folks are, but agreed on EA/BW being a terrible fit for the MMO genre.

TOR needs to die and SWG 2 needs to take its place. EA is awful. And I say this as a guy who loved SWG and was dedicated to TOR for the first few years. EA/BW don't know how to do an MMO

EA is not letting go of star wars, death of TOR would do nothing.

SWG was nothing but amazing concept, but was a shitty game that never was fixed after launch. SWG would still be around if it actually delivered what it promised and if it had worked. The game was broken mess, with something new breaking each time they fixed something, and the game had bugs at launch that remained in till the game was shut down.

fenners

Only if we get some of the TOR storylines in singleplayer form.

And that's just never going to happen.

SWTOR is what it is. The devteam definitely makes mistakes in among its steps forward, often quite clearly big mistakes, but the core of the game for players playing through the original arcs is well defined & has a ton of story content. After that? ...

There's a lot of quality of life & visual things that get better each patch that don't get a lot of attention.... Skin wrinkles!

Kadin

EA is not letting go of star wars, death of TOR would do nothing.

SWG was nothing but amazing concept, but was a shitty game that never was fixed after launch. SWG would still be around if it actually delivered what it promised and if it had worked. The game was broken mess, with something new breaking each time they fixed something, and the game had bugs at launch that remained in till the game was shut down.
What about SWG was broken? I played it from launch until the day it closed and I never thought the game was broken at any point. Bugs happen with all games during patches, but I can't think of anything specific that was broken from launch to the end. Sure, it went through a lot of changes over the course of the game but it was very much playable and a lot of fun for me (and many others). You might not be a fan of how they designed the game and whether it gave you what you wanted, but it lived up to many fans expectations and exceeded them in some ways as well. To say the game was a broken mess is flat out not true.

wighti

I'd agree and not call it broken. I also wouldn't nescessary define it as a full blown "game" either. The fact remained that before the NGE updates the was fairly little to do when it came to content provided by the game itself. If you looked beyond that and went in the sandbox aspect the game became much more enjoyable. As enjoyable as you made it to yourself.

I just recently got back into TOR when I finally cracked how to make the game run on my apple laptop and have been quite alot of fun with it. I'll be the first to admit that I'm looking at it through some heavily rose tinted star wars goggles.

One thing though, did they change the rate you gain XP in the game at some point? I'm playing my knight and I hit lvl70 in Voss when I think I still have one more planet to go through + all the expansions. Not that I mind, the scaling thing helps and I think I already got my first piece of the set from my galactic conquest boxes.

One thing though, did they change the rate you gain XP in the game at some point? I'm playing my knight and I hit lvl70 in Voss when I think I still have one more planet to go through + all the expansions. Not that I mind, the scaling thing helps and I think I already got my first piece of the set from my galactic conquest boxes.
They increased the XP rewards from class missions and planet story arcs in 4.0. Plus the amount of Major XP boosts you acquire from said missions makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Top Bottom