• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

SPCTRE

Just beat Uncharted 4 last night. Damn. What a ride. I think it was not only the best in the series, but a perfect way to end the series and a worthy winner of GAF's 2016 GOTY award. What an incredible, unforgettable experience.
Just finished it last night, couldn't agree more.

I gotta be honest with you GAF, playing the epilogue took me by surprise. As someone who just had a daughter 7 weeks ago, I legit teared up when I picked up and flicked through the photo album. Goddamnit, it's happening again while I type this.

My hat is off to you, ND. This game single-handedly won me over to the franchise, can't wait to play the remastered trilogy next.

DonMigs85

Just finished it last night, couldn't agree more.

I gotta be honest with you GAF, playing the epilogue took me by surprise. As someone who just had a daughter 7 weeks ago, I legit teared up when I picked up and flicked through the photo album. Goddamnit, it's happening again while I type this.

My hat is off to you, ND. This game single-handedly won me over to the franchise, can't wait to play the remastered trilogy next.

Seeing 80+ year old Sully kicked me in the feels
Wonder why she doesn't refer to Sam as Uncle Sam tho

velociraptor

I'm fairly late to the party but this game feels like it has way too many climbing/puzzle segments. Honestly the pacing feels off. Having said that the shooting segments are very challenging (playing on hard mode). I'm not sure if I am the only one who feels an ass kicking on every shootout.

The environments also lack any real variety. I am on chapter 17 right now but it has taken me months to get here. The game just feels like it's dragging on and on without really going anywhere.

I think I enjoyed​ uncharted 3 more than this.

Don't get me wrong - it's uncharted so of course I still like it. But I'm somewhat disappointed given the massive hype and positive reception. I don't think uncharted 2 well ever be topped. Now THAT was a rollercoaster of a game.

rrc1594

Played the game for the first time had to do a 4-page essay of the audio of the game. ND used 3-D audio masterful in the game, just all around amazing sounding game.

Picked up the UC collection on sale to catch up on part 3 before moving on to UC4.

Haven't played an Uncharted game since 2 and I'm finding it a struggle to play through 3. I'm not sure what happened, but the shooting is completely mediocre (the enemies don't react at all) and the climbing is so contrived. Knowing that every last pipe, ledge, etc is going to collapse unexpectedly is just annoying.

I'm considering just skipping the 2nd half of part 3 and moving straight into 4 so I'm at least not burnt out by the time I get there.

Thoughts? Is the enemy AI / reactions any better in UC4?

Necrovex

I made a thread for this but it went unanswered, hopefully I'll get something here:

Several months after the fact I am now having this same exact problem. And I even did the work around. Got to chapter eight and now I can't play the game.

Any tips on resolving this?

Bpk9xm8.gif

ced

Well I finally got around to playing this.

Overall it was enjoyable but damn did they screw up the pacing and it dragged on way too long in the beginning and end.

The Last of Us influence was heavy and they should have just kept the two seperate.

This game was definitely worth the hype

I usually hate the combat in this series, and still don't like the shooting mechanics, but the stealth gameplay was immensely satisfying

I also enjoyed the story being more grounded this time

Filben

How is the difficulty level in Uncharted 4? Are there as many trial and error passages as in previous titles?

I just recently played Uncharted 3, chapter 21 where you fight these burning guys. I saw an RPG lying around but still had ammo for my grenade launcher and decided to use that first. I passed a gate, fired my grenades, wanted to head back—gate's closed (you didn't hear it), no cover. Dead. Respawn, I only have those two grenades, bad guys surround me and killing me before I get the upper hand. Tried that scene at least eight times. Gimme a fucking break, this is supposed to be 'normal' difficulty? Then I did something unusal (I sometimes try to "break" the game if such unfair things happens) and just stood there, without doing anything. Went to my PC and did some stuff while the game was running and Natahn was dying over and over again. After a couple of looks at my TV I realised that the enemies take way longer to kill me when I do NOT do something; no cover, no movement, no defense. I realised that they do NOT surround me. I died one more time, picked up the controller and got easily through that scene.

This is just one example and it happened before in Uncharted 3 and 2 (not to mention the shit boss fight). Can't quite remember the first game.

TL;DR: Did they hold on to their brutal and terrible enemy spawn?

Bunga

TL;DR: Did they hold on to their brutal and terrible enemy spawn?

Nowhere near as bad from memory. There was only one bit with a tiny arena and a couple of shotgun dudes and a bunch of other guys where I was like "this is terrible design".

Replaying this now. Just started Chapter 5 where you play as Sam.

Um, how does one access photo mode in this? It doesn't seem to be available now - but I know they had it in this.

SanderD

Neo Member
Replaying this now. Just started Chapter 5 where you play as Sam.

Um, how does one access photo mode in this? It doesn't seem to be available now - but I know they had it in this.

You have to turn it on in the options menu. Then you can use L3+R3 to activate it.

Filben

Nowhere near as bad from memory. There was only one bit with a tiny arena and a couple of shotgun dudes and a bunch of other guys where I was like "this is terrible design".
I finally started with Uncharted 4 and reached chapter 13. Playing on 'normal' I only died twice (once due to a glitch that killed me rather than a bad guy) so far. That speaks for the game regarding difficulty, fairness and smooth gameplay. So yeah, you didn't lie, Bunga!

And it's so much fun and probably the best Uncharted and dethroning the very first one for me. The more open level areas are much needed for this series. It results in less trial and error since there seems to be always a way, exit and escape route when fighting enemies. The feedback of hitting enemies is much more refined, there is more interactivity (with the rope) and the cooperative AI gameplay really works this time, when they actively help you by grabbing and holding an enemy or get one of your back. Naughty Dog evidently learned from TLoU's development.

Not to mention the hot damn visuals which are just stunning (PS4 Pro here).

RodzTF

Really dislike that ND chose to put a Speedrun trophy in this. It's the last one I need for the plat.

It just does against the enjoyment of the game, why would I ever want to rush through a game with such spectacle and adventure?

I'll still do it but just kinda annoying

Top Bottom