• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thoraxes

After the god-tier TW101 my thirst for Bayo 2 is real.

animation1rfav5.gif

And i've always loved all their games. MadWorld to me is still just an outstanding game all around, and with the fun i've had playing it I couldn't understand why it didn't proliferate so much. I took it around to friends dorms and invited people into my dorm for play sessions in groups back when I was in college. I once had 10 people in the room just hot-seating the controller to see who could get the coolest kills, which resulted in a lot of great reactions from everyone in the form of "ooooo" "ahhhhhh" and "hoooooly shit". Not to mention dat OST. Such a phenomenal package, one my only third-party day-one purchase on Wii and still one of my favorite Wii titles.

Not a single bad game in the OP, and also contains several of my all-time favourites. These people have earned my trust to buy whatever they put out, which is something I can't say about any other developer.

Ushiwaka

You guys should definately check out Platinum's Japanese website. There are some FANTASTIC art works there. Look at this for example:

I mean goddamn that is GORGEOUS! I know the arts in their website are not necessarily for games, but I wish this one at least turned into a game.

Nah while close to perfection there was still enough to improve upon. Umbrean climax looks really fun like the new toad demon.

I think it was perfect. Seriously, I can't see how and where (at least in terms of combat and gameplay) Bayo 1 was flawed.

I never realized that I've bought almost all of Platinum's games since Viewtiful Joe. I guess they're my kind of dev and I've never realized it.

PokéKong

All the things I'm excited about in Bayonetta 2 have nothing to do with new features they can slap in a bullet list, it's all about the fact that it's a new Bayonetta being made in this post-Revengeance age, and knowing it will more than likely contain so many of the little details that game superb. Namely an improved up lock-on system, I recall Kamiya himself does not recommend using the target lock button at all in his playthrough video series, and instead just suggests using the guns to center the camera onto enemies. And if that Lumen Sage battle is any indication, I hope we get more human-sized duel boss fights this time around.

Ser Goje

You guys should definately check out Platinum's Japanese website. There are some FANTASTIC art works there. Look at this for example:

I mean goddamn that is GORGEOUS! I know the arts in their website are not necessarily for games, but I wish this one at least turned into a game.

Wow. I can already see it. A Sci-Fi Set in the 1920s or something, with amazing graphics.
It can be a shooter or H&S. As long as it has that feeling all the P* games give you, it can be whatever they want.

God damn you I'm getting goose bumps just thinkin about it.

Usobuko

Banned
Doubt marketing can do anything for P* sales, you basically need a one-trick pony viral hit somehow. Bottom line is the (western) market taste has shift significantly. It's too Japanese ( a rather weird criticism) and doesn't resonate with any big time youtubers.

Platinum Games is a bigger factor compare to Nintendo for my Wii U purchase.

I don't wanna wait forever for the next godsend for a better value of the system! Why can't you understand my 1st-world problems?! :((((
I mean if you cant afford it then yea whatever..but some people like to complain about stuff when alot of platinum games are, were exclusive. Its like people want to be fans for street cred.

Sakujou

Banned
bought every single game from them.

best studio existing on this planet. its a shame, that most people are ignorant about that studio or about the platform the games are released on.

madworld was a nice game although it was a bit short(less than 5h)
and the bitching about bayo2 was ridiculous. if you are fans, support them instead i saw so many angry people writing kamiya or anyone at platinum games to release bayo2 on another system.

worst people ever.

i bought a wii u only for 101 and bayo2(ok and smash) but its totally worth it.

PokéKong

Doubt marketing can do anything for P* sales, you basically need a one-trick pony viral hit somehow. Bottom line is the (western) market taste has shift significantly. It's too Japanese ( a rather weird criticism) and doesn't resonate with any big time youtubers.

Super_Best_Friends_Play_Viewtiful_Joe_Title_Card.png

Ushiwaka

Wow. I can already see it. A Sci-Fi Set in the 1920s or something, with amazing graphics.
It can be a shooter or H&S. As long as it has that feeling all the P* games give you, it can be whatever they want.

God damn you I'm getting goose bumps just thinkin about it.

lawd.gif

THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN!

From the Polygon interview last year:

"But if you look at games developed in certain Western studios, as far as sales go, they're clearly ahead of us there, and we're not going to be satisfied until we're at that level."
-Minami

I wonder how they're going to achieve that. By making games that appeal to the western market maybe? Cause this seems like a tough thing to do for Platinum. Every PG game (except MGR and maybe Bayo) bombed. TW101 bombed, Bayo 2 will bomb and I don't think that X1 exclusive is going to sell gangbusters either.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Never heard of Infinite Space before prior to opening this thread, think I might have to check it out. Did it get a PAL release?

I wonder how they're going to achieve that. By making games that appeal to the western market maybe? Cause this seems like a tough thing to do for Platinum. Every PG game (except MGR and maybe Bayo) bombed. TW101 bombed, Bayo 2 will bomb and I don't think that X1 exclusive is going to sell gangbusters either.
Well, I can see Microsoft putting some decent money into advertising the game and possibly getting some PR that clearly explains what the game is about. That might help boost sales somewhat.

Well, I can see Microsoft putting some decent money into advertising the game and possibly getting some PR that clearly explains what the game is about. That might help boost sales somewhat.
Ninja Gaiden didn't that well then either. People already mentioned that the general taste shifted towards typical pc games in the console space.

Shooters and Open World stuff. And they need to be more serious, please no crazy japanese things! It's so sad.
That's why I love platinum, they provide exactly those crazy japanese games everyone else seems to drop or not release them in the west. So I'm going to buy every system supporting such games regardless of my feelings for the platforms.

Ushiwaka

Yeah I hope they do that. Sales may not affect Platinum directly, but they need better sales for finding publishers for their next games.

===

Anyway, speaking of the X1 exclusive, PlatGAF, who do you think the director of that game is? (if the rumors are true, of course.) Saito is probably working on MGR2 and I don't think its Kamiya either cause the timing doesn't match up. So either its Yamanaka or someone else. IMO at least.

I think it's Kamiya. Saito is busy with Rising 2, yes. Hashimoto does Bayo 2 ofc. I'm not sure Yamanaka is directing a game atm. Inaba is helping out here and there I guess.

Seik

Banned
Platinum is one of my most repected studio from last gen, still going strong this gen with W101 and the soon to come Bayo 2.

Without them, the gaming hobby altogether would surely be a really more bland, monotonous one at that. They're a gem of a studio to me.

Long live Platinum!

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well if it is a Kamiya game I'll probably have to get an Xbone at some point. Although it'll most likely be me buying the game then waiting for an opportune deal for the console like I did for the Wii U.

Ushiwaka

I think it's Kamiya. Saito is busy with Rising 2, yes. Hashimoto does Bayo 2 ofc. I'm not sure Yamanaka is directing a game atm. Inaba is helping out here and there I guess.

Hmm... Maybe. I think Yamanaka helped Kamiya with TW101 after AR, so maybe he's still on his team. And Maybe its a new talent! MGR and Saito proved there are some potential directors in PG waiting to be awakened. :D

Anyway, Its a new Platinum game and I can't wait to see it!

Bayonetta is hard. I'm stuck on chapter 5 right after the bridge. Those red and blue enemies are tough.

Love this company. Vanquish was amazing.

Proven

Interrupt this regularly progressing thread just to say:

Posting because it's Platinum Games and I want to post in a Platinum Games thread because it's Platinum Games.

I also realize I own almost every single Platinum Games title. I'm asking myself why I don't own all of them.

From Clover to Platinum my love for this studio and just about everything they do remains strong. They aren't perfect, but they know how to make a satisfying action game better than just about anyone out there. And while Mikami may not be with Platinum anymore he remains one of my favorite people in the game industry and I greatly look forward to seeing what he does with The Evil Within.

Akiller

I bought a WiiU for W101 and after playing it I can say that it was the right choice.So much epicness and Drills as well.

Im assuming just like in Bayo 1, its something that happens during boss fights.

Yes, I think that too.
The hair may seem shorter, but the epicness will be longer.

Ushiwaka

I'd love p* to become the next Capcom but I guess their focus will remain on action games.

What if Kamiya's next game is an Okami-esque Adventure game?!
Bayonetta---> DMC's spiritual successor
TW101----> somewhat Viewtiful Joe's spiritual successor
Next game----> Okami's spiritual successor

It would make perfect sense if he's going by the order of the games he directed.

t1gerjaw

Yeah I hope they do that. Sales may not affect Platinum directly, but they need better sales for finding publishers for their next games.

===

Anyway, speaking of the X1 exclusive, PlatGAF, who do you think the director of that game is? (if the rumors are true, of course.) Saito is probably working on MGR2 and I don't think its Kamiya either cause the timing doesn't match up. So either its Yamanaka or someone else. IMO at least.

It's called Project Nagano and Kamiya was born in Nagano...

Ushiwaka

It's called Project Nagano and Kamiya was born in Nagano...

But he was working on TW101 AND supervising Bayo 2 when the first rumor came out. It's unlikely he was working on a third game too... And he said he started to work on his new game in 2014... but I don't know, we should wait and see.

t1gerjaw

But he was working on TW101 AND supervising Bayo 2 when the first rumor came out. It's unlikely he was working on a third game too... And he said he started to work on his new game in 2014... but I don't know, we should wait and see.

Yeah, we know these facts, but maybe the project only went on full production after he finished TW101.

Ive never owned God hand. What FPS is it? Is it worth getting the US classic that runs at 60hz?
I'm not a huge God Hand fan but I think it runs at 30FPS. It doesn't really revolve around tight inputs like DMC or anything.

Hey guys, try to sell me on Okami. I don't see the appeal.
If you like Kamiya's other games or Zelda in general, it's worth checking out. The art style is gorgeous and the story and characters were great. It's really long (the beginning drags on a lot) and it is ridiculously easy but the gameplay was fun enough to make it worth the experience.

The only Clover game I'd avoid is Red Hot Rumble.

I got Viewtiful Joe a few weeks after it released for my 11th birthday. I really enjoyed it, and it pretty much got me interested in Capcom games and the action genre.

There are a lot of games in this thread that I'm a huge fan of or intend to play someday. The Wonderful 101 is my favorite game of 2013 because of its creative action and nonstop rush of exciting scenarios and challenges. The characters are so darn likable too.

I'm eagerly anticipating Bayonetta 2!

Awesome thread for an awesome developer, gotta share the love I have for them:

DSeNRZi.jpg

B81vkNa.jpg

0UakHRo.jpg

I've wanted that Bayo figure for ages and now it's finally mine! Can't wait to see what's next from them. I remember seeing someone tweet Kamiya asking if there were any plans on making an exclusive PS4 title, he's response was the classic ('@') heh.

Uraizen

Banned
Well if it is a Kamiya game I'll probably have to get an Xbone at some point. Although it'll most likely be me buying the game then waiting for an opportune deal for the console like I did for the Wii U.

*looks at Wii U and Xbone* I did it the other way around. >.>' I don't even remember how long I've had Bayonetta 2 on pre-order.

Top Bottom