• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PSASBR leaks lead to recent SCEA PR firing [Up: Fabricated report. Not true.]

Sony has leaks ALL the time, the PS3 slimmer, the new God of War, that new Naughty Dog game. It sounds strange to me that they decided to fire their whole PR team just for one more leak of a game that probably 10 people care about.

Sony has leaks ALL the time, the PS3 slimmer, the new God of War, that new Naughty Dog game. It sounds strange to me that they decided to fire their whole PR team just for one more leak of a game that probably 10 people care about.

I think it's safe to say a lot more than 10 people care.

Sigh so basically its afro's source saying Sony fired their entire marketing department because of the leaks, versus paul and ex sony marketing guy saying no? I never get a pm :( I'm still very, very sad with the whole disappointing roster.

I think the beta leaks is what caused PR to mislead people.

The beta leak may have precipitated their actions, but that would not be a justification for misconduct.

Sigh so basically its afro's source saying Sony fired their entire marketing department because of the leaks, versus paul and ex sony marketing guy saying no? I never get a pm :( I'm still very, very sad with the whole disappointing roster.

Not that I believe the rumor, but it's not exactly a surprise that all three parties implicated in the scandal claim innocence.

Oh god first bad audio, washed out gfx and now only TWENTY characters???

Oh god first bad audio, washed out gfx and now only TWENTY characters???

Well it's what the guy above me said. It's a disappointing roster. We got Dino, Big Daddy, Heihachi and Raiden before Crash, Spyro, Cloud and Snake. They shouldn't have even done third parties until they can secure the ones that REALLY matter. Now we have a lackluster roster with lame cash ins that nobody wanted.

Well it's what the guy above me said. It's a disappointing roster. We got Dino, Big Daddy, Heihachi and Raiden before Crash, Spyro, Cloud and Snake. They shouldn't have even done third parties until they can secure the ones that REALLY matter. Now we have a lackluster roster with lame cash ins that nobody wanted.
This logic makes no sense

This sounds like ridiculous embellishment.

The "source" here is a junior who claims to do voice work who knows a guy who was let go. People who are let go often don't have a good picture as to why and pin it on bizarre stuff. So this is telephone with a guy who isn't reliable.

The idea that Sony was unhappy with how PR for the game was handled - sure. The idea Paul Gale was "bribed" seems absurd.

Yes, but obviously there is some truth to the article. The Platinum interview on Rising is evident of that. Sony's PR royally fucked over companies like Platinum and Konami. They obviously are pissed off about it, and feel cheated. They didnt get anything Sony promised them. Capcom too, but at least Dante got a semi decent reveal at Gamescom. I agree that the Paul Gale bribe portion of the article is hogwash as well, as is the false advertising part too, and therefor SCEJ making Suberbot include additional DLC to match the fake leaks also doesnt make any sense. Most likely more BS.

Some PR and marketing firings makes sense and are obviously going to happen. You dont need a rumor article or whatever to tell you thats gonna happen. The hype and PR for this game was a disaster, hopefully it doesnt ruin a great game. Cause I think most of us on GAF agree it has a lot of potential.

What worries me most is future 3rd party collaborations like this with Sony. Who's going to want to work with SCEA after this? They've lost all credibility.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Not surprised with Paul

LOL @ Lupinko.

For people who don't know who Lupinko is.

He didn't leaked Brawl, but he did leaked for SF x TK, MK9, MVC3 and UMVC3.

To set the record straight,

MarkMan sorta leaked Brawl IIRC, and Kensk leaked SSF4.

AzaK

I guess I'm missing something. Basically a character leaked, Sony panicked, some blogger was paid to hype something and someone got fired. Does not sound like any sort of scandal to me.

GavinGT

Banned
"Could I have gotten even more credibility if I put up the picture I took of myself in boxers, covering my junk, in a hallway, mimicking Raiden’s scene from Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, mid-June and thus giving the internet a much better hint than a bunch of bullets? Yeah, I could have."

"Paul Gale Network is not a troll site."

ODk3NDc4OUY0N0M2QUY3OUJCREE6OGQ3ZjcxMjdkMjhhMDg2MjU3MDdkMzFiNDI3Y2IyNTc=

Yeah...

God of War did leak? Sony themselves announced it months before E3.

Sad that this all happens on the day I spent playing the game A LOT at Eurogamer and had an absolute fucking blast with it. Whatever happens, they still have mine, and my friends' preorders down.

I made a long rant post a few days ago about how PG is a fucking douchebag. People at the time told me to chill but now it seems everyone shares my sentiment.

This might mean I need to make a new extended Simpsons post in the PSBR thread. :D

Shinriji

The only thing that I see from this "scandal" is that Platinum Games and Kamiya are not sparing words to burn bridges with Sony. Is in their rights to be piss off from all this leak, but they came out talking trash, and assumed an anti-professional, and quite a childish, attutude. I assume that they can speak their minds since Nintendo will publish their games from now on.

Audio and Visuals are miles better in the latest built.

Tbh I never complained about the visuals. I only had gripes with the inexistant music and the lame third party cash ins. Fans want so and so first and or third party reps to finish the roster, instead we got four third party characters who are clearly in the game to promote games that aren't even out yet.

My main suggestion was that Sony shouldn't have even done third parties, at least not until the second game. Now we have a default roster that is definitely lacking and the fans are mostly disappointed. I know a lot of you guys are content with it but the lack of anyone from Sony's JRPGs is pretty shameful. The lack of anything from Team Ico is as well.

While this may not be true it does kinda suprise me at platinums attitude towards this game considering raiden is a character.

I'm guessing this was solely konamis decision and platinum were not consulted.

This essentially confirms that everything he said was either intentionally vague or misleading, completely going along with my friend's statement.

He also almost DIRECTLY acknowledges that Superbot asked him to be the scapegoat PR guy for the game with this paragraph:

Paul Gale said:
3) To my source, I have always been truly grateful of our friendship and for providing me with one amazing scoop a little over two years ago. It was asked that I be the “man behind the game”, to “be there for the public”, and to “do your thing, PGN style”. Well, I did. I used what was given to me, appreciated it, and did so because I was given the opportunity. Based on my real life martial arts experience and life long love of fighting games, in addition to having an interesting, “indie site”, I was chosen to handle PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale even before Title Fight and though it took time to nurture the story, my friend has been pleased. At this time though, it’s come to a mutual agreement, that things need to be cleared out before I reveal any more.
"Do your thing PGN style" sounds an awful lot like "Go nuts".

It's not helping his case that he's continuing to post a bunch of goofy pictures.

At the moment, it's just the word of one ex-PR guy against the word of another. Kagari and I tried to get our sources in contact but both wished to remain anonymous, which is fine.

With that being said, we all seem to agree that Paul Gale is full of shit though. So, if he's defending something, I'm inclined to believe my friend of many years over Gale and Kagari's Superbot acquaintance from E3.

Huff

Banned
Regardless of true/not true I don't see the big deal here.

or why I should hate this paul guy. is it cuz he's ripped?

Corto

This essentially confirms that everything he said was either intentionally vague or misleading, completely going along with my friend's statement.

He also almost DIRECTLY acknowledges that Superbot asked him to be the scapegoat PR guy for the game with this paragraph:

"Do your thing PGN style" sounds an awful lot like "Go nuts".

It's not helping his case that he's continuing to post a bunch of goofy pictures.

At the moment, it's just the word of one ex-PR guy against the word of another. Kagari and I tried to get our sources in contact but both wished to remain anonymous, which is fine.

With that being said, we all seem to agree that Paul Gale is full of shit though. So, if he's defending something, I'm inclined to believe my friend of many years over Gale and Kagari's Superbot acquaintance from E3.

Off course you would. But who are you, and who is your source? Because for us to make an informed decision of who is speaking the truth and who is not that would be important to know. It's your prerogative if you don't want to disclose who you are and who is your source but then your posts are of little value to anyone else.

Murrah

Banned
Everyone maybe we should all calm down and wait for Paul Gale to respond with more shirtless pictures of himself before we jump to conclusions

Aaaaaaand we're done

I don't think Paul was accepting bribes or anything (though that would make this the most unintentionally funny thing that's ever happened in the video game industry) but there's definitely something fishy about the whole thing. I hope years from now people on the development team can drop some info about some behind the scenes things

Thing is; Sony Japan probably planned the release of this title and were hoping to keep hype in the run up in order to boost both PS3/Vita.

If what has been said is true...then I think its possible they'd want to ditch a PR room where they feel there is a pretty terrible culture. Paying someone to create fake leaks does not help when eventually everything will be released before launch. It was internal damage control and something Sony had to stamp down on. This is the very sort of behaviour that Kaz is supposed to be sorting out. The US PR team acted above their station, taking over the PR for the whole of Sony and controlling the release of information as they saw fit.

I think Sony were planning to re-arrange their PR anyway, and this wasn't a 'kill' order on the PR people at SCEA but an order to change the culture of the PR room - which is why Sony have taken to paying PR firms to do much of their work for them - getting their superior expertise for a more affordable price than hiring in house.

The fact one of their ex-employees though he should 'sound off' after getting fired shows why they needed a new PR department anyway. It didn't have the relevant skills or experience. Something an independent PR firm can buy in as their working with numerous clients.

Whether its true or not, the PR at SCEA needed to change. They've done this.
Only story of relavence left is:
- Are Sony now adding more characters to Battle?
- Is this whole situation with third parties going to sour Sony's relationship with third parties?

Neither of these really depend on the PR situation; the leak itself would have affected third parties, and they'd be suspicious of Sony trying to get the PR for themselves, and just annoyed their original agreements had been broken. Whatever - third parties might think twice about revealing information to Sony - least for a wee while.

Sony adding characters? Possible; whether or not the PR were behind fake leaks.

Paul Gale may have been bribed with promises of future information that will 'fix' his reputation - probably for some time to come.
Financial bribes? Who knows; either way its blown up and his sources are likely gone or not planning to communicate with him in the near future.

thuway

More heads need to roll. Kaz what are you doing, fuck SCEA up. These morons have zero idea what they are doing. Have you noticed how Europe is doing fantastic and is actually getting it's shit together? You need to just have SCEE control SCEA for the moment. This leaky bench of stale shit is gone on too long.

I still figure the abundance of leaks were simply publicity stunts in order to garner "Dojo!" levels of hype. And considering the discussion they've enjoyed here, they seem to have done the trick.

Top Bottom