• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS all new hardware is out now and Creator's update is a go for Win 10

Primus

Updated via the Windows Upgrade Assistant, took about an hour. Changed my startup picture which is annoying, but otherwise everything seems fine.

Oppo

Wut? No.

Control Panel is still superior to the Settings "pane" they have now.

only because they haven’t migrated settings fully yet. that thing sucks to navigate, always has.

as someone coming from Mac it’s really schizophrenic

linkboy

The only issue I'm having with mine is my my mouse cursor will jump around on it's own when I first turn my computer on (it's a Logitech MX Anywhere 2S sync'd via Bluetooth). It only lasts a few seconds, so it's just a minor annoyance. Once my computer gets fully up and running, things are fine.

Other then that, I haven't had any issues.

Sulik2

the sooner they can banish the old cruft like Control Panel and update everything to fluent, the better. File Explorer sucks.

That is one crazy take, the new settings tab is one of the worst affronts to UI design in the history of computers. They went from something simple and easy to understand, to whatever you want to call the settings mishmash of menus and old school control panel tabs.

ghostjoke

Banned
only because they haven't migrated settings fully yet. that thing sucks to navigate, always has.

as someone coming from Mac it's really schizophrenic

As opposed to the new bloated monstrosity? Control Panel might not be pretty to look at, but you click and everything is there on one screen for the most part. Where one line is needed, settings uses three and adds an extra void for good measure.

sangreal

Oh, you're beyond qualified.

Easiest way to check is dxdiag and see Driver Model under Display tab.

My advice is geared towards casual users or people who like to use old hardware.

If you use bookmarks in Edge, back them up prior to upgrade.

Also you will have to reinstall updated drivers.

I think you'll have to go back pretty far. My GTX560 from like 2010 supports the gpu meters

jelly

The new control panel is a mess, sure it might look alright here and there, have an easier way of setting something but it's just endless, you miss settings because you need to scroll and half the stuff is missing like power options, sleep, lid etc. which go to classic. Even if they shift everything over it will be endless pages and scrolling. Bring back tabs.

Anyway, the classic mouse returns, awesome. No date though.

Inspired by the Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0, the new Microsoft Classic IntelliMouse has exceptional tracking and the firm scroll wheel that fans loved about the original. Tracking is now even more precise with a DPI range up to 3200.

1508257322_classic_intellimouse_story.jpg

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Able to load up game bar in Games that I wasn't able to before. I unchecked use on verified games.

Also OneDrive integration is slick. How I missed thee.

An also, they finally added a mic to the on screen keyboard, about time. works great
My surface pro 4 is updating now. I expect something to break ��
Went smoothly on mine. Had to add the touch keyboard back to the taskbar though.

sinxtanx

Man this update seems lame as shit.

well, it's mostly just updates to their applications, not the OS itself

only OS stuff I noticed were pinning people to your taskbar, OneDrive links, password recovery and GPU task manager

gotta brand it

is this update the one that makes windows translucent? we Vista now

looking forward to my laptop completely breaking forever

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
well, it's mostly just updates to their applications, not the OS itself

only OS stuff I noticed were pinning people to your taskbar, OneDrive links, password recovery and GPU task manager

gotta brand it

is this update the one that makes windows translucent? we Vista now

looking forward to my laptop completely breaking forever
Right, I guess that's why I'm disappointed that there's the chance something might break and I'm not getting much for it, lol.

Have any Surface owners tried using their pens as clickers in PowerPoint? It just doesn't work for me. All it does is bring up Ink Workspace.

I have a presentation tomorrow and this would actually be really convenient for me...

EDIT: Works now after manually updating PowerPoint...

Oppo

That is one crazy take, the new settings tab is one of the worst affronts to UI design in the history of computers. They went from something simple and easy to understand, to whatever you want to call the settings mishmash of menus and old school control panel tabs.

As opposed to the new bloated monstrosity? Control Panel might not be pretty to look at, but you click and everything is there on one screen for the most part. Where one line is needed, settings uses three and adds an extra void for good measure.

Keep in mind that Microsoft is trying to make sure everything is compatible with screens ranging from 3" to 30", roughly. Which is why elements have more negative space around them - not only is this better aesthetically, it allows for touch target sizes.

Anyways, I just really dislike the way you can end up spawning 3-5 little sub windows with basic activities, aside from other split personality things like 2 nVidia control panels (Control Panel and Experience). It's just really... old-fashioned. I agree that Settings needs to be expanded to include the previous functions but it should definitely be in that fluent UX frame. Also, the 2 prevalent views of Control Panel (Categories vs Icon view) which is pretty problematic when searching for solutions to problems or where things are. They just need to consolidate, and the old Win98 stuff doesn't scale, and is total crap from a UX perspective. It also looks like garbage on a 4K monitor.

i just want to mention this update will render many people who have Gears of War 4 and Nvidia cards unable to play their game due to a Nvidia driver issue that has been around since May.

as of right now the only stable driver that works is 382.53 which will be forcibly upgraded due to today's Windows 10 update rendering my game unplayable.

mcrommert

Banned

Sys administrator here... Control panel was designed by a madman and stuff is thrown every which way... With 1709 testing since first build I have gone to control panel exactly once... Everything of note has been moved including network connections now (was the last major holdover)

Edit: every time win 10 updates the best part is coming here and hearing people complain about this or that which is broken when they obviously forced the update circumventing Microsoft checks to make sure everything is ready to go for their model

I've upgraded my home PC and my work tablet without issue in either case.

Did game mode get fixed previously? I remember testing it at launch of Creator's Update and finding stuff generally getting lower framerates with it. Now it's actually making a difference based on the few benchmarks I've run. Which is nice. I haven't retested it since 1703 released though, so maybe they fixed it a while back?

Frostburn

Upgraded today while eating dinner without issue. The Gaming section has a few changes, one called TruePlay which must be some form of PC Anti-cheat for Windows 10 games.

Kayant

I for one will be sticking to my Anniversary update as long as possible thanks to using the Education verison unless they have fixed the mess they did with borderless performance in games/switching between fullscreen/borderless crashing some games.

Edit -

Reading online seems to still be the case rip.

Pooya

It's pretty good so far, they polished up a lot of the menus. It might not seem obvious at first, but it looks way better now. Windows 10 was very janky, it still is but it's acceptable.

One thing that is useful to me is that you can now set wired connections to metered from settings. I had to go force it in registry before. Thanks for that.

Elija2

Tried forcing the update using the Update Assistant, it downloaded completely and was busy installing for like an hour but I guess the install failed and rolled back or something and now it's making me download the whole update again. :/

Frostburn

I updated but I don't see the option for Files on Demand in Windows 10 OneDrive (as shown here). That was a waste of time.

Try checking for updates again (They have at least 2 updates that installed after I upgraded) and then reboot and try to access the settings again in One Drive from Explorer. Are you on Windows 10 Home by chance?

epmode

Try checking for updates again (They have at least 2 updates that installed after I upgraded) and then reboot and try to access the settings again in One Drive from Explorer. Are you on Windows 10 Home by chance?

Pro, and I've already installed all available updates.

Thanks for the link, JaggedSac!

Top Bottom