• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Heroin Business Is Booming in America (Bloomberg)

Lunar15

I live in South Florida, which is basically the "Rehab" capital of America. It's a really fucked up system where these companies are making money hand over fist while they churn out "patients" that go right back into addiction.

Slayven

I thought this was going to be one of the GOP's top issues to tackle. Oh they labeled drug addiction a pre exisitng condition? Whelp

phanphare

Banned
I'm assuming they mean various threads where people talk about taking acid/mushrooms/ecstasy and are conflating that with opioids/amphetamines.

yeah I know that's why I said that. it is absolutely insane to conflate drugs like acid, weed, mushrooms, and molly with heroin

I know 0 people that have died from any of the former and I know far too many that have died from the latter

I did not specify heroin, and i've certainly never seen that either - i used a more blanket term of hard drugs, but perhaps i should have been more specific given the thread - my point was towards knowledgeable use of cocaine, LSD and mushrooms.

that was my point, yes

You people? Glad being against drug use is a bad thing. For such a liberal board, the ignorance here astounds me.

the only ignorant ones in this thread are the ones conflating heroin and opiates with other drugs like weed and lcd

there are so many resources out there that you could use to better inform yourself but I've seen you spout this same nonsense a few times before so I guess you would prefer to be willfully ignorant instead. you should maybe act less surprised when people call you out though, if that's how you want to stay.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
You people? Glad being against drug use is a bad thing. For such a liberal board, the ignorance here astounds me.

you

people

Get that moral grandstanding out of here. You'd have no problem with the consumption of prescribed opiates. You, and your attitude, are the problem.

Hindl

You're the one spouting ignorant views from the 80s
yeah I know that's why I said that. it is absolutely insane to conflate drugs like acid, weed, mushrooms, and molly with heroin

I know 0 people that have died from any of the former and I know far too many that have died from the latter
Yup I frequently smoke weed and have done molly shrooms and acid. Along with a lot of my friends who are normal, well-adjusted people. Some of them are even nurses and doctors. As long as you are careful you're fine, never had a problem with that. Meanwhile I'm coming up on the 3 year anniversary of my friend ODing on heroin and Xanax

jay

You derail every thread that mentions drug use. We get it. You don't like drugs. Go away.

But isn't it more important to talk about how bad drugs are than to discuss the different contexts and causes of drug use? We did this with crime, and now there is no more crime. It works.

phanphare

Banned
It's a message board. Deal with it. This board needs to stop encouraging recreational drug use. It is a problem.

you know what's a bigger problem? the misconception that all drugs are this big bad that need to dealt with equally and shunned regardless of what science tells us. that is actually affecting many people's livelihoods across this country.

but you keep doing you

theWB27

You take illegal drugs for asthma? You know what I mean.

What I'm telling you is painting that broad brush of yours only hurts people who benefit from something like marijauna. It isn't illegal because it's bad...it's illegal because of profits...profits for pharma and profits for prisons.

I'd hope people could think for themselves what drug is actually bad and what drug has a misconception and has its labeling for nefarious reasons.

I guess as long as "they" tell you its not good it's gospel.

I know this is a bit of an old adage, but drugs truly have given us a tremendous amount of art, expression, creativity and individual perspective - I really think a blanket term of "drugs are bad" isn't doing anyone any favours, and being rather ignorant of some of their positive impacts on modern society, especially when we get down to splitting hairs on legal vs. illegal drugs as lots of legal drugs are terrible, and some illegal are far less damaging.

I say this as someone who has battled addiction issues with stimulants, but i'm always grateful for my experiences with LSD for really giving me a better understanding of the world, stronger empathy for those in it and to know my place in the universe ( i know that sounds a bit trite, but its true).

Of course they are dangerous, and not for everybody but instead of just saying drugs are bad, perhaps step away from such black and white, almost authoritarian logic and simple say they are not for you.

I am incredible thankful for those that use "drugs" as a tool to create incredible pieces of work, despite my own battles and demons with addiction - like everything, use responsibly, in moderation and truly know what you're getting yourself in to, as best you can, prior to use.

Going to bring back a Nixon era quote.

"We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or blacks, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news." - John Ehrlichman; White House Domestic Affairs Advisor 1969 - 1973.

When racism ultimately hurts you 101.

Cagey

Banned

Look.

Despite wanting legalization, I think the average "legalize pot bro! 420!" person's views towards smoking pot is too casual and flippant.

I think people casually drink -- not to drunkenness, the "nice daily pour of scotch to take the edge off from work" types -- far more often than they should and it's worse than they would like to admit to themselves.

All of that said...

Conflating the above with heroin is fucking madness.

It's a message board. Deal with it. This board needs to stop encouraging recreational drug use. It is a problem.

My gf uses marijuana for pain management of her MS (Multiple Sclerosis), as it's the only thing that helps her neuropathic pain. In her case, the CBD doesn't have an effect, it's the THC. So she needs to get high to stop the pain. Fortunately she only needs to use it every once in a while, when it gets really bad. She gets it through the government.

Are you against this use as well?

Furio53

Or maybe the vast majority here are in favor of drug use. That's fine, I'm not going to change. Maybe one day the board will.

Define drug use. Is eating food drug use? because it causes a chemical reaction in your body, same as "drugs".

But cool, keep your rigid viewpoints based on falsities and ignorance.

SummitAve

Banned
Or maybe the vast majority here are in favor of drug use. That's fine, I'm not going to change. Maybe one day the board will.

I think you have a different definition of drug than most people. Talking about this requires more nuance than just saying drug use. It's a meaningless statement if you don't clarify what you mean since you clearly are not defining drug by its definition.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Nah, this board generally points toward progress. Your foolishness will die out in due time.

Hindl

There is no chance in hell I'm ever going to encourage someone to take LSD.
A) You don't need to encourage someone, just not immediately say they are a problem
B) There are drugs other than LSD. Weed for example is far better for you than pretty much any over the counter painkiller
It makes EDM festivals way more tolerable.
I'd think ecstasy would be the go-to there. Acid at EDM could go weird

cj_iwakura

The problem is we spend money on fighting the manufacturer and distributor rather than the addiction. We treat addiction as though it were criminal.

Have you tried it? Cause it's not really toxic or addictive like Heroin.
Oh sure, I'll just try it instead! Great idea! Come on. If I want my mind messed with, I'll join a cult.

Fuchsdh

I have never once in my years of posting on this board seen someone bring up recreational heroin or opiate use in a positive light. literally never.

It's happened. Nowhere near as often as stuff about weed, shrooms, MDMA, etc., nor as often as a thread gets derailed in a general pro/anti-drug prohibition shitshow like this one, but it does.

It's a tragic story and mostly not new, although this part was a bit chilling:

A lethal fentanyl dose is 2 milligrams, the weight of a few grains of salt, and addicts were wary of using it at first. Now many seek out what they call ”the fire" for a stronger high, says Cincinnati Police Sergeant Frank Beavers, a plainclothes investigator. That's made fentanyl into something of a success story for its sellers: It kills some customers, but those who survive end up with a more powerful addiction.

As is the fact that saving people from ODs really is like trying to keep a sandcastle up, given recidivism rates. Honestly incarceration seems like the legitimate best option at this point, assuming they funneled money into actual treatment instead of pure lockup, but with Republicans controlling statehouses and the federal government that's not going to happen unless more of their constituents get fed up with them ignoring the destruction of their towns.

Also, random aside: When did Bloomberg start putting TL;DR summaries at the bottom of their stories?

Beartruck

We're not. Your argument breaks down to Illegal=bad. The real world has more nuance than that. Things like Heroin? Absolutely criminalize it. Things like Marijuana? That stuffs only illegal because white people wanted a excuse to screw with mexican immigrants in the 20's who brought it over the border with them.

As a paramedic, I can tell you firsthand about the insane rise in heroin use. Every night there's at least one call to resuscitate someone who's overdosed and stopped breathing. Most nights it's three or more calls like that.

Naloxone is a miracle, but it's crazy that that's the number one drug I give.

vypek

Starting to think this topic is headed for a lock.

I've been seeing a lot of commercials for programs in the next state over (NJ) to help addicts out. Maybe some things will start to change if we can get more of those going.

Top Bottom