• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

jariw

Question: The Lizalfos with metallic armor - can you use Magnesis on them? I just started thinking about that yesterday, and now I can't remember any location where they are...

onipex

I've been taking my time and playing through this game. Killed my first guardian which was a walking guardian after the first village just to see if I could. It took forever but was very satisfying. I managed to get under it and I broke all my weapons , but got the job done.

I love this game.

Charamiwa

Banned
Great title.

I spent all day yesterday farming honey, hightail lizards, hot-footed frogs, and dragon parts and it was still one of the most fun experiences I've ever had gaming.

How the hell did they pull this off?

It's funny because gathering ingredients can be tedious sometimes (to me anyway), but it does give you a different perspective on the world. The other day I had to gather a lot of Swift Violets, which are plants that only grow on cliffs. So I spent two hours on the Hebra mountains climbing cliffs in extreme cold, defintetely something I hadn't done do in this region before.

Another example would be some electrical bugs that are common on the Akkala region at night. You can find them on trees so I did some exploring in the forests of the region. The gathering is nothing too interesting but the world makes it worth it.

Since the PS4, Xbox one, Wii U and Switch have come out, in terms of interactivity and AI this is the only game I've seen that I can call 'next-gen'.

I can't get much done outside of gaming because I'm so obsessed with it, even 150 hours in! Best game I've ever played.

It's funny because gathering ingredients can be tedious sometimes (to me anyway), but it does give you a different perspective on the world. The other day I had to gather a lot of Swift Violets, which are plants that only grow on cliffs. So I spent two hours on the Hebra mountains climbing cliffs in extreme cold, defintetely something I hadn't done do in this region before.

Another example would be some electrical bugs that are common on the Akkala region at night. You can find them on trees so I did some exploring in the forests of the region. The gathering is nothing too interesting but the world makes it worth it.

Yeah I agree with that. Like the frogs hang out mostly at ponds or swampy areas where they should, so aimlessly running around the world doesn't make sense when you are looking for that specific thing. Also when using the Sheikah Sensor to find those items it takes you through places you may not have been before, so that you still run into new things like Koroks and enemy camps (after having finished all 120 shrines, ~300 Korok seeds and 110 hours).

I'm wondering if it's even possible to 100% this game (all upgrades, all korok seeds) without a guide.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I played while watching basketball last night. First session in a week or so. Up to 60 some shrines, not sure on playtime (was 60+ last I checked the activity log).

Mostly explored the Gerudo area as I hadn't spent a lot of time there before beating the game. Ground a few shrines, did the sand seal race, found 10 or so Korok seeds etc.

Still enjoying exploring the world, but I doubt I'll play much more once MK8 is out as I'm pretty fatigued on the game and just not as enthralled by exploration games as the people who really love this game. I'm one of those gamers that needs a story/purpose/goal/drive to keep playing games--or just find the gameplay fun in the case of pure gameplay games. Honestly would probably sell it off if I hadn't impulse bought the expansion pass.

jonno394

After nearly 70 hours, i think I'm gonna stop playing and I've only done one dungeon :/ i just don't have the interest anymore. Could just go to Hyrule castle now and at least see the ending i suppose, but in terms of exploring the rest of the map and finishing the other dungeons, i don't know if i have it in me.

Turned off after half an hour this morning, just don't have it in me atm, which is sad. Might try and come back in a few months.

Edit - like this basically. Im burnt out on it. I'm actually looking forward to just dicking about in Lego city on Friday.

Still enjoying exploring the world, but I doubt I'll play much more once MK8 is out as I'm pretty fatigued on the game and just not as enthralled by exploration games as the people who really love this game. I'm one of those gamers that needs a story/purpose/goal/drive to keep playing games--or just find the gameplay fun in the case of pure gameplay games. Honestly would probably sell it off if I hadn't impulse bought the expansion pass.

Zalman

I'm reaching the end of the road with this game, but I'm still playing it every now and then. It's now one of my favorite games of all time.

Has anyone bought the
fierce deity link amiibo tag
?

I'd love to get my hands on one...

But I imagine it should be coming out soon, right?

I also discovered two interesting features during gathering.

1. High level bokoblins know how to ambush wild animals by couching down. When the low level bokoblins are jumping around to look for preys, they just couch down and wait for the animals approaching them.

2. Lizalfos eat bugs. Pretty self-explanatory. I discovered them using their tongues to catch dragonflies. Very cool.

They actually started playing other games to find out what else people were doing.

Is that a fact? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember a recent interview with Aonuma in which he said that he barely plays any other games.

In my opinion the game design in BotW feels like it was thought up/reevaluated from scratch rather than being an improved version of existing games. Now that they don't look much at what other games are doing isn't new. The difference to many other Zelda games is that this one doesn't build up on the traditional formulas they established themselves in their own prior (Zelda) games.

Nictel

Guardian farming on the way -> I am abusing stasis way too much.

Someone mentioned
Moldega
as being tough but
I just stood on a pillar, throwing bombs then going down to stab him + stasis and then back up the pillar -> cheap tactic that totally works but makes the supposedly epic battle very much less epic. Also some mentioned a second stage? I think I stasised myself through that then.

ggx2ac

I'm almost done, have one shrine quest and one side quest left to go and a bunch of other shrines to find.

Boney

Banned
105 shrines, 384 koroks!

These last few shrines are going to be hard as heck to get

Also that last fairy was uhm, yeah

Futureman

Anyone know where I can quickly get an iron sledgehammer? I was doing the one shrine where you stasis the ball and then have to use the sledgehammer to hit the ball into the target but the sledgehammer broke.

Also, the one part in the Lost Woods where you have to follow the trees with the iron balls in their mouth or the fog consumes you... I got all the way to the shrine at Lake Saria.... Is the shrine the end point and once you beat that your are done? Or should I explore more in that area?

Guardian farming on the way -> I am abusing stasis way too much.

Someone mentioned
Moldega
as being tough but
I just stood on a pillar, throwing bombs then going down to stab him + stasis and then back up the pillar -> cheap tactic that totally works but makes the supposedly epic battle very much less epic. Also some mentioned a second stage? I think I stasised myself through that then.

If you've ever watched a Tremors movie
Moldugas
are incredibly easy.

Nictel

Anyone know where I can quickly get an iron sledgehammer? I was doing the one shrine where you stasis the ball and then have to use the sledgehammer to hit the ball into the target but the sledgehammer broke.

Also, the one part in the Lost Woods where you have to follow the trees with the iron balls in their mouth or the fog consumes you... I got all the way to the shrine at Lake Saria.... Is the shrine the end point and once you beat that your are done? Or should I explore more in that area?

- Gerudo near the Walrus pen
- By your house
- Goron mine
- a lot of stables have one

Machina

Banned

You can use pretty much any weapon to do that shrine. I found spears were the next best thing after the Sledge

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Reload save and use that sledgehammer again. I generally found them near stables (Foothill and Highland).

Yep, I keep thinking back to the early hours, then descending into Hyrule proper for the first time and being overwhelmed by the things you can do. Yesterday I went back to the Plateau, climbed the temple of time and took a screen there to cap off my journey.

I took a screenshot on top of Hyrule castle.

Teuoxton

Edit: Beaten multiple times haha

Loving the game; all I have left are
Dragon
farming for
the Champion and Wild Tunics
and Ganon himself.

Futureman

Your house in Hateno should have two outside that respawn. Once you get the shrines for the Korok trials you can explore a bit more freely, but it isn't really worth it IMO.

I didn't know I had a house in Hateno ha.. I'll have to go check that out. Edit: just remembered the abandon house the crew is knocking down.

So there's more than one Korok Trial/shrine you find the fog in the Lost Woods? Got it.

linkboy

I'm so close to putting the final touches on the last few shrines.

I'm not sure if I'm going to go after all of the Korok seeds, that just seems way to time consuming.

This is still one of my all time favorite games, and it makes it harder to play other open world games (the lack of climbing abilities and the paraglider especially).

Forkball

Hestu wants like 30 seeds for a weapon upgrade now. I don't want to use my four Royal Claymores, ok!

I also wanna know why Bokoblin guts are needed for so many armor upgrades. Maybe they expect you to have a lot of them since they are a prominent enemy, but I feel that most people won't waste their time fighting lowly bokoblins once they get into the later stages of the game. That lady in Kakariko is price gouging too.

kunonabi

After nearly 70 hours, i think I'm gonna stop playing and I've only done one dungeon :/ i just don't have the interest anymore. Could just go to Hyrule castle now and at least see the ending i suppose, but in terms of exploring the rest of the map and finishing the other dungeons, i don't know if i have it in me.

Turned off after half an hour this morning, just don't have it in me atm, which is sad. Might try and come back in a few months.

Edit - like this basically. Im burnt out on it. I'm actually looking forward to just dicking about in Lego city on Friday.

If you're burned out already I'd just beat it. Outside of the side quests there isn't anything more interesting than what you've already done and no real payoffs or incentive to doing everything anyway.

SomTervo

There's one at almost every stable

Silvard

Who else feels a compulsion to roleplay with food? I find myself unable to simply throw whatever ingredients I have at hand to make food with the desired effects.

I can't, for example, just make any heart restoring food for use in the middle of combat, it has to be food that makes at least some sort of sense, so I only make riceballs and skewers. Everything else feels like it's too much to eat in the middle of a fight.

For buffs:

• Spicy: I only make stews, soups and curry (for short duration/low potency) and hot milk (for 30 minutes max potency). Or elixirs.
  • Chilly: Only cakes and pudding (short duration, low potency) and chilly milk (max eveything) make any sense to me. Everything else is disgusting to even consider. And of course, elixirs.
  • Electro, Fireproof and Sneaky: Only elixirs. It's my head canon (which is in part justified by
    the Gerudo at Goron City
    ) that Link slathers these elixirs on him for effect.
  • Mighty, Tough and Hasty: I tend to go for elixirs with these, but they are also the ones I'm most flexible with when it comes to cooking, and this is where I explore the wider selection of recipes in the game, at least as much as the ingredients with specific effects allow me to do so.

Hearty food uses the same rules as regular food, and while I made some temp stamina elixirs ages ago for a full stamina recover, I've never actually used them. RP wise though stamina improving food makes perfect sense and would allow for a lot variety. Stamina recovery though would probably be subject the same practicality rules as in combat food since you're either going to be in the middle climbing/gliding/sprinting/taming when you need it.

Kuro

75% done, combat kind of sucks, wep durability I'm neutral on, story is all over the place and could have been way better. Also needed way more actual dungeons and not bite sized samey looking mini puzzle rooms. I treat this game as more of a hiking/climbing/exploration simulator. Music is great but not enough of it and the art style is bar none my favorite in any Zelda. Hoping for them to patch in a recipe log so I can cook them all. Kind of disappointing as a Zelda game but probably my 3rd favorite Zelda just because of the insanely huge detailed world.

Just beat the last boss last night.

Ancient armor is OP even at level 2. i actually had the helmet at level three. Only two hearts of damage in first phase. Also had like 20 ancient arrows and that killed Ganon pretty quick. The last phase was even easier but I was dicking and got hit a little bit more lol. But yeah never died to Ganon or divine beast but died a whole bunch to common enemies in the game. How does that work lol

Finished with 64 (didn't plan on that number haha) shrines and I think 60-70 deku seeds. Playtime ~ 100 hrs. Havent checked since Thursday night when it was 87 hours but I probably put in 13 nore hrs.

I'm at 100 shrines/seeds at the moment and I feel like I need a new game. It was awesome but after more than 90 hours it's enough. It's one of the few games I have played after beating the boss, and 30+ hours even!

Farmboy

Decided to cap off my experience with a long horse ride through the entire land. Turned out to be a zen experience which I highly recommend. Note that your horse will tend to follow the (yellow) roads automatically so you'll have very little steering to do.

Watching the changing landscapes and weather (and music!), as well as night turning into day, is an amazing experience. You can mostly ignore enemies (beware of Guardians ganging up on you in Central Hyrule though) and just let the atmosphere wash over you.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Question: The Lizalfos with metallic armor - can you use Magnesis on them? I just started thinking about that yesterday, and now I can't remember any location where they are...

No you can't, which is kinda disappointing as they could had that if you upgrade Magnesis you could extend the range and have it that Link can use it to pull any metallic weapons out of enemies hands.

It also would have been fun swinging around Lizalfos wearing metallic armour.

Kuro

No you can't, which is kinda disappointing as they could had that if you upgrade Magnesis you could extend the range and have it that Link can use it to pull any metallic weapons out of enemies hands.

This was such a missed opportunity. I feel like there was a lot they could have done better with the combat. I think I enjoyed the combat in Windwaker and Skyward Sword more. Even if the former was piss easy.

kevin1025

Banned
I made it to
Kakariko Village
last night, so I must be totally close to the end, right?

Haha, so many hours to come, and I'm loving this thing!

Even better, being able to pull metal weapons in enemy hands and have them hang onto their weapons for dear life, such that you can swing them around while they are hanging onto the weapon. Maybe if you shake them around enough they fly off of the weapon.

We need that for the DLC, make it happen Nintendo!

Silvard

Guys, I'm debating whether I go for full completion (100% everything, get every armor maxed out, etc) or wait for Hard Mode to do so. I'm worried that it's going to take too long for it to come out and my interest in the game will have waned, or that I'm going to find Hard Mode too annoyingly balanced/designed to do everything all over again. Thoughts?

Top Bottom