• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

chunk3rvd

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for! It's kind of hard to decipher what all those numbers mean based on the picture icons in-game. I'll go check out the club from the merchant in the burg. That seems so impossibly far away in the world of Dark Souls though...

Thank you!

Creamium explained it briefly but the other thing you want to pay attention to is the ParamBonus section. Each weapon can get a damage boost from 4 of your stats (strength, dexterity, intelligence and faith). The scaling goes from E to S where S is best so if you want to get more damage from a weapon you like, boost the stat that benefits most from scaling. Your Hand Axe scales to C with strength and D with dexterity so you'll get more of a bonus by increasing your strength with that weapon

Try a few different weapons and see what you like the feel of then upgrade one to +5 with Andre and you should be set for the next few sections of the game. Weapons that require higher strength to wield tend to be slower and dexterity based weapons are usually faster

Some weapons also have additional effects seen in the Aux Effects section. Some of the DEX weapons for example inflict bleed damage. If you land a few hits (even if they're blocked) the enemy loses a big chunk of health and satisfyingly squirts blood everywhere

Finally, you can reduce the strength you need to try a weapon by wielding it with 2 hands. This increases your strength by x1.5 - so with only 16 STR, you can 2-hand a Zwiehander (which usually requires 24 STR). You can use this to try out some of the weapons you already have but don't have enough strength to swing normally

Danny 117

Was in the Darkroot Basin or whatever you call it and as I approached the water I got attacked by a swarm of white bolts and was killed in 2 hits. Any ideas what the hell that was?

Just to be clear it wasn't the big icy guys. I killed them all before all that.

Was in the Darkroot Basin or whatever you call it and as I approached the water I got attacked by a swarm of white bolts and was killed in 2 hits. Any ideas what the hell that was?

Welcome to Splash Town!

There's a mini-boss in the lake past the Crystal Golems shooting water at you.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Trying to invade on PC
1390523108633.png

Seriously, i can't wait for dedicated servers in DaS 2

DukeBobby

That's the Hydra. The hardest part is getting close to it; killing it is pretty easy.

So watching Kay's blind playthrough youtube series atm, it really makes me want to go blackout on DS2 from now on. And will almost certainly do my first playthrough offline just so I don't even see the messages everywhere about illusory walls and traps etc. I know half the fun is online play, but I'm still playing DS1 (and DeS) regularly so I really want that sense of virginal discovery again in a Souls game. It's really these streams like Jeff's too that has made me want to play purely offline for that first playthrough of DS2 - it's so close now! :)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So watching Kay's blind playthrough youtube series atm, it really makes me want to go blackout on DS2 from now on. And will almost certainly do my first playthrough offline just so I don't even see the messages everywhere about illusory walls and traps etc. I know half the fun is online play, but I'm still playing DS1 (and DeS) regularly so I really want that sense of virginal discovery again in a Souls game. It's really these streams like Jeff's too that has made me want to play purely offline for that first playthrough of DS2 - it's so close now! :)

I played the Network Test so Im not so blind for it I guess.

That's the Hydra. The hardest part is getting close to it; killing it is pretty easy.

A shield with 100% Physical Resistance will help in getting close to it.

Danny 117

Welcome to Splash Town!

There's a mini-boss in the lake past the Crystal Golems shooting water at you.

They're called Crystal Golems? Oh right thanks, haven't played in 2 days so my mind's a bit cloudy regarding them.

Would I have been able to run into the water and wade over to the Hydra or was there another path I should have taken?

A shield with 100% Physical Resistance will help in getting close to it.

I have the Knight's shield and the Drake Sword at the minute, nothing special so I probably don't stand a chance, right?

Dark Souls n00b. :p

Don't get too close to the Hydra! There's footing a little way into the water but after that it's an abyss. Make sure to look out in front of you to see where it ends.

Once you get close enough it'll start lunging at you with its heads and you can start attacking them.

DukeBobby

Would I have been able to run into the water and wade over to the Hydra or was there another path I should have taken?

Just run, and roll to avoid the water blasts. Once you get close enough, it will stop shooting water, and start attacking you with its heads.

They're called Crystal Golems? Oh right thanks, haven't played in 2 days so my mind's a bit cloudy regarding them.

I have the Knight's shield and the Drake Sword at the minute, nothing special so I probably don't stand a chance, right?

Dark Souls n00b. :p

That shield and sword should be fine.

And it would be a good idea to aggro 1-2 of the golems and take them out before you make your approach. The hydra can take care of the rest. And you can go into the water, but you'll move a little slower unless you have a certain ring. And watch your feet:
the hydra's body sits in deep water and if you fall into it you die
. There is another approach to the hydra where you can avoid the golems, but I think it's tougher, so approaching from the Golem side is better.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Guys, I... I think I fucked up .... bad.

I was running down the stairs to see the blacksmith and one I got to the bottom of the stairs I dropped my controller and when it landed on the floor R2 was pressed and I hit the blacksmith. I immediately jumped up and turned off the game. Once I turned it back on and loaded my save the blacksmith was attacking me.

I fucked up didn't I? I'm not going to use this smithy anymore am I? How fucked am I?

Guys, I... I think I fucked up .... bad.

I was running down the stairs to see the blacksmith and one I got to the bottom of the stairs I dropped my controller and when it landed on the floor R2 was pressed and I hit the blacksmith. I immediately jumped up and turned off the game. Once I turned it back on and loaded my save the blacksmith was attacking me.

I fucked up didn't I? I'm not going to use this smithy anymore am I? How fucked am I?

There's a guy near the Gargoyle bell you can talk to. Pay him souls to absolve your sins and the blacksmith will be friendly again. Unless you killed him.

DietRob

There's a guy near the Gargoyle bell you can talk to. Pay him souls to absolve your sins and the blacksmith will be friendly again. Unless you killed him.

Whew... thanks. I haven't killed the Gargoyles yet. Been too busy leveling up and getting good gear. I'm at level 25 now with some knight armor and pavels ring. So I'll be clearing the bell tower shortly. Thanks for the heads up!

So i finally gave this game a second chance. Went to Undeadsburg (i think that's the name?) instead of wandering downwards, and i was having more fun than last time. I fought some boss on a bridge and he destroyed me. I got close to killing him but messed up some rolls and got obliterated. I had 4k souls on me when i died, so I tried to get back to him, but accidentally locked onto an archer while walking across a bridge and it aimed me at him and made me walk off the edge. Lost all those souls sadly which was frustrating, but i also didn't realize you can't save if you're not logged into games for windows live. It wouldn't let me log in, so i just ignored it. Went to play just now and my 3 hours of playing is completely gone. I'll probably play again in a few days after the frustration goes away over it, but i'm trying to decide if i want to go Pyromancer again, or give Knight a try. Anyone have any suggestions as to which is better for a noob who is terrible at the game?

Edit: Oh and i also wandered down some tower and got one shotted by a guy with a giant hammer. That wasn't very good.

DietRob

OK just got done killing the gargoyles and it costs 13k souls for absolution, jesus fucking christ.

Fuck that guy. Are there any other blacksmiths?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just beat the first boss and made it to Lordran. I do have one question though - can I change the controls on 360 so that I use left trigger to block and right trigger to attack? I HATE using the bumper to block/attack.

OK just got done killing the gargoyles and it costs 13k souls for absolution, jesus fucking christ.

Fuck that guy. Are there any other blacksmiths?

There's one in New Londo, near the Firelink elevator. But all blacksmiths can only take you so far with basic upgrades (up to +5). Each one specializes in different upgrades (ascension), so if you want to take a weapon to +6 and up or Divine weapons (the specialities of the smith near the church), pay the 13k. The New Londo smith specializes in magic upgrades. And there's 2 more smiths you'll come across later...

You can make 13k easily by dropping your summon sign in the church to help people fight the gargoyles.

DietRob

There's one in New Londo, near the Firelink elevator. But all blacksmiths can only take you so far with basic upgrades (up to +5). Each one specializes in different upgrades (ascension), so if you want to take a weapon to +6 and up or Divine weapons (the specialities of the smith near the church), pay the 13k. The New Londo smith specializes in magic upgrades. And there's 2 more smiths you'll come across later...

You can make 13k easily by dropping your summon sign in the church to help people fight the gargoyles.

Ah, OK thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize they each specialized in something different. I guess it will be useful to go ahead and drop the 13k it shouldn't be too hard earning it back. Ugh.

Filth

guys ive decided to beat this game finally before dark souls 2 comes out.

E56YWAd.jpg

i feel like i should almost be done but i dont even think im halfway through.

im doing a mas dex build and got the greath scythe so far at +7

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
cant seem to traverse the white light in sens fortress. I am a gravelord minion and I used an eye of death here, but I left sens fortress and don't know if that even has anything to do with this.

I just want to fight the iron golem x_x

edit: had to restart

Raxious

Pinwheel down, only Gravelord remaining before I can go to Gwyn and woop his ass on NG+.

I'm probably gonna do the same tactic for Gwyn that I used in NG.

Full Havel armor, 2 hand my Obsidian Greatsword and cast Iron Flesh. Followed by me just smashing my sword into Gwyn's face.

Gonna try to beat Dark Souls this weekend with my STR build, then maybe a DEX build run. But Killzone MP and Toukiden demo are calling my name...

Oh man, the stray troll in the asylum is such a pain in the ass... I think I had more trouble with him than I did with Orenstein + Smough. Bosses with area of effect attacks are the worst, and his was barely even telegraphed.

I just made it to Gravelord Nico's cave, and I'm not sure it was smart to go to him before the other bosses...

Divius

Beat Kalameet at lvl1, the trick was summoning a bro. Still quite an intense fight, but we got it on the first try which was kind of disappointing. Up next.. Manus. Or maybe some more invading in the burg.

Blinck

Oh man, the stray troll in the asylum is such a pain in the ass... I think I had more trouble with him than I did with Orenstein + Smough. Bosses with area of effect attacks are the worst, and his was barely even telegraphed.

I just made it to Gravelord Nico's cave, and I'm not sure it was smart to go to him before the other bosses...

Nito is not so bad, what's bad is his mancave.....fucking tomb of the giants with those skeleton dogs...that area always gives me the creeps..

But it's good if you can dispatch him now, then you don't have to worry about it later.
I always live it for last since I just hate that area :p

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Douchestick and Fathammer are dooooown! :D
After I found out you can summon NPC's it wasn't that bad. Since i'm playing offline, I thought summoning wasn't possible.
Douchestick's giant mode is the worst, so I defeated Ornstein first.

Level 78 or something. I'm liking my Lightning Greatsword.

Raxious

NG+ finished :D

so dissapointing though that O&S and 4K are so much more difficult then Gwyn.

edit:
Damnit, I forgot only the BS in AL can create the Soul Weapons. :(

Edit 2:
And I'm in AL again, this goes so fast :D

So i finally gave this game a second chance. Went to Undeadsburg (i think that's the name?) instead of wandering downwards, and i was having more fun than last time. I fought some boss on a bridge and he destroyed me. I got close to killing him but messed up some rolls and got obliterated. I had 4k souls on me when i died, so I tried to get back to him, but accidentally locked onto an archer while walking across a bridge and it aimed me at him and made me walk off the edge. Lost all those souls sadly which was frustrating, but i also didn't realize you can't save if you're not logged into games for windows live. It wouldn't let me log in, so i just ignored it. Went to play just now and my 3 hours of playing is completely gone. I'll probably play again in a few days after the frustration goes away over it, but i'm trying to decide if i want to go Pyromancer again, or give Knight a try. Anyone have any suggestions as to which is better for a noob who is terrible at the game?

Edit: Oh and i also wandered down some tower and got one shotted by a guy with a giant hammer. That wasn't very good.
Try not to worry too much about lost souls. A couple thousand might seem a lot now, but soon enough it will be peanuts.

As for starting class - there really isn't much between them all other than starting gear. All the weapons, magic and armour of each class is available to buy or loot in the game, so you never miss anything by not picking a certain class.

Knight has heavier and better armour than the Pyromancer who has the fireball spell and a decent little axe. Pyro's gear isn't as good as Knight armour, but it has good poison resistance. You can get both these sets pretty early in the game though, so it's always just about what you want to start out with rather than carry on with.

Lastly, there's a legitimate 'trick' to fighting to the Taurus Demon easily and it involves remembering how you fought the Asylum Demon. Have a look around the bridge area when you go through the fog door before the Taurus Demon jumps down for a clue.

JustinBB7

You mean the long pause and bending back wasn't enough of a hint for you? It's really easy to just run behind his ass, wait till he does that attack, then smash his ass in with your sword lol.

But I had more trouble with O&S myself, but I didn't have the mouse control fix installed the first 2 times. Which will help a lot because it won't randomly switch targets anymore.

Raxious

Platinum Trophy :D

Took me a total of 62 hours, 39 minutes and 42 seconds to get everything. I started a character from scratch. Started out with the Pyromancer

my end stats:
tteSjsG.jpg

Now I'm gonna take a little break and maybe start all over again with a bow only character.

Well done Raxious :)

-------

I've been enjoying the binoculars again recently and I noticed from Undead Burg what I think is the big archway that faces the New Londo/VoD huge door, where you come out from the Darkroot lift. I was standing where the first bomb thrower is, just before the very first fog door is in the Burg, and I'm pretty sure that's the VoD bridge area. Damn I still love this game so much!

edit - it totally is because from the platform in the Burg where the 3 firebombers are you can see the bridge itself. Mind. Blown. Again!

cant seem to traverse the white light in sens fortress. I am a gravelord minion and I used an eye of death here, but I left sens fortress and don't know if that even has anything to do with this.

If there's a fog wall the game won't let you cross, it's because someone is trying to invade you. If you're on PC, you'll see these pop up and then never get invaded quite often, because the invasions fail so regularly. Just quitting from the menu and reloading your save will fix it.

Sullichin

If there's a fog wall the game won't let you cross, it's because someone is trying to invade you. If you're on PC, you'll see these pop up and then never get invaded quite often, because the invasions fail so regularly. Just quitting from the menu and reloading your save will fix it.

You can't fight bosses while gravelording.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I made a Level 50 character designed to help players in co-op.
I've been getting summoned regularly for O&S but I was wondering if there any other locations that would be fairly popular. I've completed the game and dlc multiple times so I can go anywhere.

I play on the PC version.

I made a Level 50 character designed to help players in co-op.
I've been getting summoned regularly for O&S but I was wondering if there any other locations that would be fairly popular. I've completed the game and dlc multiple times so I can go anywhere.

I play on the PC version.
You should get some action in most later areas of the game, just not as much as at 10-20 levels higher. I would definately try Dukes and Demon Ruins. You'd probably get a few takers in Catacombs and Sen's (newbies) and 4 Kings (seasoned oldies) too.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
You should get some action in most later areas of the game, just not as much as at 10-20 levels higher. I would definately try Dukes and Demon Ruins. You'd probably get a few takers in Catacombs and Sen's (newbies) and 4 Kings (seasoned oldies) too.

Thanks for the help.
I've been quite surprised by how many people don't attempt the bosses by themselves first. I'm regularly seeing the boss introduction cutscenes but I suppose if people want to co-op the whole game, then it's up to them ;)

Beat the demon on the bridge! Had to cheese it slightly by using my Pyromancer spell, but got past him. Now i just hit an area where there's some boar in armor. There's some knight on top of a tower at the end of Undeads Burg but i'm too bad at dodging and blocking to fight him, especially in a tight space.

Arjen

Thanks for the help.
I've been quite surprised by how many people don't attempt the bosses by themselves first. I'm regularly seeing the boss introduction cutscenes but I suppose if people want to co-op the whole game, then it's up to them ;)

Could just be veteran players. I always summon people although I can best the boss solo. Feels like a good way to keep the community alive.

Divius

Beat the demon on the bridge! Had to cheese it slightly by using my Pyromancer spell, but got past him. Now i just hit an area where there's some boar in armor. There's some knight on top of a tower at the end of Undeads Burg but i'm too bad at dodging and blocking to fight him, especially in a tight space.
Congrats! That big black knight can be a pain in the ass, but he is optional. Either keep at it (you can also lure him down if you need more space, just make sure to clear the other enemies first) or even come back later.

Congrats! That big black knight can be a pain in the ass, but he is optional. Either keep at it (you can also lure him down if you need more space, just make sure to clear the other enemies first) or even come back later.

Thanks! I might come back later to fight him and that guy with the weird shaped hammer that one shotted me, i will have the final revenge. Is it possible to roll through enemies? While fighting the demon on the bridge i sometimes found that i would seemingly roll through him, but other times i'd just bump into him and be against his front; i'm not sure what i did differently the times i successfully rolled through him.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Kalameet at SL1 was the hardest for me! Took 15 minutes to kill Kalameet because I was taking my time and trying to avoid most of his attacks because one mistake with him and I was dead! THIS is how I beat him at SL1. Manus was ridiculously easy with a crossbow, just had to learn his attack patterns which took a while because all the bosses in the main game are so ridiculously easy compared to the ones in the DLC, just to show how easy he was with a crossbow! I'm stuck at Gwyn, though. My fully upgraded pyro glove is doing shit loads of damage BUT he always grabs me and one hit kills me. :(

Top Bottom