• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the PS4 surpassed the previous three consoles in terms of quality? (Answer: no.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cramoss

kZR4I96.gif

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me, it's actually PS4 > PS > PS2 > PS3.

2017 and beyond will only cement it for me.

I can't help but feel that some people are letting nostalgia color their perception. While there are absolute classics on many of the past gen Sony consoles I have to acknowledge that I own more games this gen than any other gen before it. I know that's partially due to being an adult and having more expendable income but I also don't remember being interested in such a vast plethora of games in generations prior.

I have also found that save for Journey and The Last of Us on the PS3, I have had some of the most emotionally fulfilling game experiences on my PS4. Nothing has made me cry on the level of The Last Guardian. Nothing has made me cheer with such enthusiasm as victory in Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

The first year and a half was less thrilling but the system has really hit its stride and I think the best is yet to come still. I am very excited at the prospects of what the rest of this generation of PlayStation will bring.

That's just my two cents anyways, and I don't think anybody would be invalid for favoring the older systems as they have all been strong in their own way.

Davide

Of course it has. A lot of nostalgia here.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt/Hearts of Stone/Blood and Wine
Bloodborne
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
GTA V
Uncharted Collection
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Doom
The Last Of Us
The Last Of Us 2
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Batman Arkham Collection
Batman: Arkham Knight
BioShock Collection
Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection
Overwatch
Titanfall 2
Driveclub
Journey
Yakuza 0

Papacheeks

Banned
I would say yes, as I have used it to play third party games online, as well play more online period than my PS3.

I'v played more Japanese games this gen than I have last, and that's coming from someone who has a giant Japanese collection for PS1+PS2.

Higher quality Japanese games even the Warriors variety are better this gen than last gen.
Having a blast with Yakuza 0, had some fun with DQH, and am waiting to pick up Gravity Rush 2 when persona 5 comes in because Horizon is going to eat up most of my time now.
Though the first party has been lighter or should I say more spread out this gen, I feel the quality is better for the most part. Worth the wait.

How do you come to this conclusion?

No just fucking no. My giant PS1 collection would have a word worth you.

PS2 > PS1 > PS3 > PS4

PS2 is king. PS1 has the classics. PS4 and PS3 are close. 4 has more quality games, but 3 still has more quantity in my opinion and a lot of them have quality.
If the quality is maintained then PS4 will surpass PS3.

Papacheeks

Banned
PS2 > PS1 > PS3 = PS4

PS2 is king. PS1 has the classics. PS4 and PS3 are close. 4 has more quality games, but 3 still has more quantity in my opinion.
If the quality is maintained then PS4 will surpass PS3.

I agree with this. I prefer though quality over quantity and now it's starting to actually be both which is leaning me towards it being better than PS3 in both quality/quantity.

Honestly for me it's either really close or it has. Just need really good racing games like Burnout and GT.

Titanfall 2 is a God tier game.

I like my PS4. It has some great games, but in terms of quality, it has not yet surpassed the previous three consoles (game libraries). As for the quality of the hardware, yeah, it's pretty damn good when compared to the other PlayStation consoles.

OuterLimits

PS4 isn't even close to the PS3 yet in my opinion, although it may surpass it by the end. It won't get close to the PS1 and PS2.

The PS3 has a great(and often underrated) library, plus has a huge selection of PS1 and PS2 games available to download. I think it can also play original PlayStation discs.

Also, several of my favorite games on PS4 are merely enhanced versions of last gen games.

Papacheeks

Banned
I like my PS4. It has some great games, but in terms of quality, it has not yet surpassed the previous three consoles (game libraries). As for the quality of the hardware, yeah, it's pretty damn good when compared to the other PlayStation consoles.

Looking back and seeing last gen went on for over 7-8 years I think this gen is doing an amazing job. Sure more new franchises were started last gen, but also know that it's off set this gen with all the great high quality indie games that has doubled since last gen.

I feel there are more games of high quality from different regions than there were last gen.

I can only pick out a handful of Japanese made games from last gen that really stand out like Ni no Kuni and the likes.

While we have games now from series that's actually doing well like Yakuza, Tales series, Gravity Rush.

Of course it has. A lot of nostalgia here.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt/Hearts of Stone/Blood and Wine
Bloodborne
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
GTA V
Uncharted Collection
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Doom
The Last Of Us
The Last Of Us 2
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Batman Arkham Collection
Batman: Arkham Knight
BioShock Collection
Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection
Overwatch
Titanfall 2
Driveclub
Journey

When a third of your list is comprised of remasters and re-releases, you know it's a stretch. It would be all too easy to compile a similar list for the other Sony systems.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
... dude.................

It's still the worst. EASILY There is nothing more to say.

What? PS1 is ahead of PS3 and we won't even talk about 4 being close.. Do you even realize where the best Twisted Metals, wipeouts, MGS and Tomb Raiders are? I won't continue on but games were made quicker and just a ton of amazing stuff on ps1. TLOU, Journey are decent games but they aren't the best games on PS3 even.

The best Tomb Raider was for PS3, specifically the 2013 reboot.

I'll give you MGS and Twisted Metal though.

When a third of your list is comprised of remasters and re-releases, you know it's a stretch. It would be all too easy to compile a similar list for the other Sony systems.

So does that mean you are only counting exclusives?

Not sure I understand your reasoning.

I thought it was a game library discussion / comparison.

Playing The Last of Us on PS4 is obviously preferable to PS3.

Fredrik

It will end up beating PS3, but that's it
It won't even do that. Simply because it takes 3+ years for the 1st party games to come out now. We've just now got our first Uncharted after 3 years but no Gran Turismo or God of War or The Last of Us yet, etc, there is just no way that we'll see as many quality titles on PS4 before this generation ends.

Looking back and seeing last gen went on for over 7-8 years I think this gen is doing an amazing job. Sure more new franchises were started last gen, but also know that it's off set this gen with all the great high quality indie games that has doubled since last gen.

I feel there are more games of high quality from different regions than there were last gen.

I can only pick out a handful of Japanese made games from last gen that really stand out like Ni no Kuni and the likes.

While we have games now from series that's actually doing well like Yakuza, Tales series, Gravity Rush.

Fair enough, but I suppose that when it comes to the console's library, it's subjective. While I've really enjoyed what I've played for PS4, I personally have yet to get the enjoyment out of its games that I got out of the PS1/2/3. It'll come in time, no doubt, but at this point, yeah, I think it has some work to do.

Banned
No. It's gotten off to a slow start exclusives wise like PS3 did.

It started to hit its stride last year and may overtake the other three consoles eventually but it's not there yet.

PS3>PS1>PS4>PS2

So does that mean you are only counting exclusives?

Not sure I understand your reasoning.

I thought it was a game library discussion / comparison.

Playing The Last of Us on PS4 is obviously preferable to PS3.

If you want to look at overall library, then the PS3 just got a whole lot stronger since it has PS3 + PS2 + PS1 games. PS4 just can't compete with that honestly (I like the PS4 more than PS3 as a system personally)

Khrno

The PS4 is lacking too many RPGs for it to be even close to the PS1. Still some more RPGs after Persona 5 and it will pass the PS3, but not yet.

Fredrik

I think that by 2020 it will surpass the PS3 and will come close to the PS2.
No way, it's been over 3 years and it's already 2017 and we have yet to see one single Gran Turismo and God of War and after 3 years we got our first Naughty Dog game (Not counting remasters here). There is just no way it'll surpass PS3 (or any other Playstation), it just takes so much longer to make games now. I honestly only expect one more ND, GG, Sucker Punch game on PS4, they'll get ready for the PS5 launch after that. Same with the other 1st party devs. If we're lucky we'll see one mainline Gran Turismo on PS4 but it wouldn't surprise me if GT7 is a PS5 title instead.

If I had to choose one,

It would have to be the console with :

Bloodborne
Rez
Doom
GTA 5
Rocket League
Last of Us
Dark souls 2/3
Skyrim
Minecraft
Let it Die
Uncharted 1 - 4
Battlefield 1 & 4
Witcher 3
Diablo 3
Binding of isaac
Resogun

Don't want to keep listing games but the 4 seems like a no brainer.

I fucking loved the early playstation days but I'd pick Driveclub over any racing game from before the PS4.

Same with Witcher 3 and Rpgs

New games are better in my opinion.

I still hook up my PS2 occasionally to play Tony Hawk 2, Bushido Blade or whatever but games have moved on and improved.

In terms of all time classic games and (obviously) genres and niches that aren't being served today, PS4 generally can't compare

As far as games that I regularly want to be playing right now in 2017, PS4 is hard to beat

VillageBC

I never owned a PS1 so can't include that.

Currently, PS2 > PS3 > PS4.

That could change by the end of the generation, but games like Flower, Journey, Uncharted, Last of Us, Ni No Kuni, Folklore and general unique games the PS3 had still place it ahead of the PS4. I find the PS4 titles while good, also to be rather bland.

If not now, God of War and TLOU2 on the way as well as FF7 Remake,

So this part means this is definitely a joke thread, right? OP literally named 2 PS2 games (one of which is a straight-up remake, the other getting sequels) and a PS3 game sequel.

"Xbox 1 is the best Xbox ever! It's got Halo 5 on it! That's like 5 times more than Halo 1!"

So this part means this is definitely a joke thread, right? OP literally named 2 PS2 games (one of which is a straight-up remake, the other getting sequels) and a PS3 game sequel.

"Xbox 1 is the best Xbox ever! It's got Halo 5 on it! That's like 5 times more than Halo 1!"
Heh I thought the same.

For me it's PS2>PS4>PS>PS3

Iacobellis

Eh... PS1 and PS2 had the luxury of being home to a plethora of niche Japanese titles (and even Western ones) that fell to the wayside once the HD era kicked in. Plus, it's felt like Sony take way too long to get the ball rolling on new IPs, let alone sequels for the PS4.

In terms of game quality, I have a feeling that a good amount of PS4 games will be able to stand the test of time versus what the PS3 had.

Fredrik

Sony take way too long to get the ball rolling on new IPs, let alone sequels for the PS4.

In terms of game quality, I have a feeling that a good amount of PS4 games will be able to stand the test of time versus what the PS3 had.
This is great summary. Too long dev times, generally speaking, but still awesome quality on what's there.
PS4 might surpass the other consoles if this gen drags on to 2023 though.

Calm Mind

Playstation 1 hit a stride only consoles like NES, SNES and DS have hit.

PS2 is probably a slightly lower quality, just because there was less unique titles, more sequels, things started to standardize and we lost some aspirations for epic games the hold huge worlds for more linear games. This is in line with the PS4 right now, so I'd say these are similar.

Another big point to make is PS2 was a more western friendly console in terms of library, where PS1's competitor was the N64, a western focused console up there with the XBox (outside of internally made Nintendo of japan games) PS2 also had heavy Japanese support which PS4 is definitely starting to see with things like Nioh, Persona 5 and Nier.

It will be interesting to me to see how Switch effects PS4's japanese support, I assume since these development platforms are so similar, smaller japanese games will start being made that release on both platfroms, so that japanese developers can hit a wider home audience (handhelds) while pushing their titles west like in the PS2 era. PS4 might heavily benefit from the Switch in this way, but we will have to wait and see how they coexist.

I see statements like these a lot... They completely ignore indie development.

This thread does not deserve this post.

The sheer quality of experiences I had alone with the ps1 and seeing comments like the OP just makes me feel really old .

Same here. FeelsBadMan

PS1 had 2400 physical games while PS2 had 3800 physical games. Some games were shovelware, but at the end of the day the sheer volume of high quality games on both systems sold these like hot cakes. PS4 will probably touch PS3 in terms of quality by 2020 the war things are looking.

Actually most. Some truly terrible software. thankfully, the sheer amount of quality and near monopoly on what was coming from Japan helped balance that shit out.

It's extremely unlikely that any console will ever surpass the PS2's library.

DS says hello.

Xe4

Banned
As of right now, I think it's pretty close to/on par to the PS3 and has passed the PS1 (which I consider to have the weakest library of any of the PlayStation's). It hasn't caught the PS2 yet, but I think it has the potential to. Of course, people are going to remember stuff in the past better than anything recently, so even if it does, people usually won't admit it.

Really, it's going to come down to how long the PS4 is out. If it lasts as long as the PS3 and has the quality of titles coming out that it does now, I think it can easily pass the PS2.

TLDR: PS2>PS3=PS4>PS1. I'm sure that's not a popular opinion, but that's how I feel.

Endo Punk

PS1 and PS1 no. Those consoles will never be beat, the absolute epitome of console gaming, that whole era in fact including Xbox, N64, Gamecube and my fav dreamcast. I feel it certainly has beat the PS3 though. Digital releases and indie games are far better, my fav games on PS3 are Demon's Souls, Yakuza 4 and Valkyria chronicles. Bloodborne is better than Demon's and Yakuza 0 better than 4, and I can play VC on PS4. Pretty much every franchise created on PS3 have had better releases on PS4 like Second Son and UC4, then you also have The Last Guardian and far far better 3rd party support whereas PS3 had bad ports 80% of the time.

The best Tomb Raider was for PS3, specifically the 2013 reboot.

I'll give you MGS and Twisted Metal though.

Yuck son

Tm one is my favorite even though most prefer two.

This is not to mention fun games like mega man, silent Hill, point blank, sled storm and hundreds of other titles. Need for speed was better in some ways as well but you had so much of everything and sometimes most people just didn't get to the worth while stuff

Even toy story kart games were good.

Ps3 is still better than 4 and posters either didn't play or forgot

Yakuza
Nier
Daytona hd, please bring current gen
Outrun
Demon souls
Ssx
Silent Hill
Mgs 4
Jak hd
Sly hd
Sly 4
Infamous one
Infamous 2
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Mass effect
Cod, the better ones at least
Vanquish
Ridge racer
Motorstorm (definitely more fun than dc)
Yakuza dead souls

Both Killzones are better than kz so by far.
Both infamous games are a lot better.

My point is, 3 obviously has more quality titles right now. It's hardly subjective.

4 is only close cause of a lot of porti that you can't list as ps3 only but can still consider them as originally part of like

Dmc 4
Dr
Bioshock etc

I do believe 4 has a chance in the next three years.

With titles

Nioh
Tlg
Nier
Re7

And the titles to come

Detroit
Kingdom Hearts 3

And many others but Japan is more back than its been since ps2 and it has been great this year especially.

I expect to keep getting the same stuff from the west which has been really mixed and copying of formulas unfortunately. Quite tired of bf and uncharted type games. Not that interested in big 100 hour games. Or games that milk play time in slow pick ups. I like some games like that but the way ac handles it is not fun.

Thanks Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom