• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata Steam - Schrödinger's Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am extremely curious about how those sales numbers on Steam are going to turn out, because I just can't see how this is supposed to sell well when they are trying their hardest to refuse to even acknowledge its existence.
This is basically text-book self-sabotage.

"See? There's no audience for Japanese console games on Steam. Told you so."

Exentryk

Well, if it is indeed 10th Mar and SE just can't talk about it until PS4 release, then that is at least better than a delayed release for PC.

Untitled.gif

Poor Platinum. :(

Lol.

Slaythe

Not sure if serious...

He used "XD".

It's as serious as it gets.

Well, if it is indeed 10th Mar and SE just can't talk about it until PS4 release, then that is at least better than a delayed release for PC.

Lol.

There is no such thing as "ps4 release".

The game is out in english TOMORROW. (or 23th)

March 10th is EU date. Every single mulitplatform game gets the EU date on steam, it's always been like this.

America (not the only english version) is 7th.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
March 10th is EU date. Every single mulitplatform game gets the EU date on steam, it's always been like this.

That's not actually true, not the least of all because Steam supports country-specific unlock times. RE7, for instance, wasn't playable in Japan until the 26th.

Slaythe

That's not actually true, not the least of all because Steam supports country-specific unlock times. RE7, for instance, wasn't playable in Japan until the 26th.

That's not common at all. (safe for timezones stuff)
Japan and steam have a weird relationship. I'm sure some small country might have issues sometimes. The majority of the EU and NA don't run into those.

Like, 90 percent of games on steam get the NA date. No clue where you're getting the "All steam games get EU' date from.

The fact that the date in NA is "the date it releases on steam" is, to quote you, in "90% of cases" because the games have WW releases. They're the same in EU.

Bandai Namco alone (and they output a LOT of PC ports) always release their steam version on EU date.

Other games I checked had WW releases (or came out much later, not simultaneously).

I haven't found a single example of a game coming out on Steam before it came out in EU. I'm sure there has to be one or two, but it's not any game in my library. Still, I highly doubt this would be a majority of titles. Or maybe I'm really avoiding them all ahah.

gdt

Part of the craziness is that I would've fully expected the pc version to eventually outsell the PS4 version.

JBwB

So March 10? That's pretty much the same release date as the PS4 version where I live so that's awesome!

Eagerly waiting for reviews! My PC is ready!

DKL

Given what a blowup this topic has been, I was half expecting a Kotaku article to show up at some point or something when I left to take a nap.

Instead, something something Minecraft Chicago and some For Honor break dancing.

JaseC

That's not common at all. (safe for timezones stuff)
Japan and steam have a weird relationship. I'm sure some small country might have issues sometimes. The majority of the EU and NA don't run into those.

It actually is common among titles with region-specific release dates, which is most big-ticket releases from larger publishers, most of which I pre-order as they tend to have some sort of content-related incentive and pre-load as they're generally games that could do with a PC performance thread. It's just not standard as it is on consoles owing to the fact that release state changes aren't automatic, which is why you occasionally see an unreleased game appear in the New Releases list -- Steam assumes that the game is supposed to be playable but the developer/publisher is late with flicking the switch.

Slaythe

"craziness" indeed, especially if you think that games on consoles stop selling after launch.

Heh, I wonder. PSN releases their best selling titles, and every time they have good titles that are heavily discounted, they reach decent positions. Even months after release.

I guess they have less sales and discounts as a whole. But on the other hand, Steam has the crazy discounts (5 to 10 bucks) and bundles, as well as keys resellers going on.

I'm sure both platforms are very profitable, and that's cool. :D

But it's true that right now ps4 users are busy (GR2, yakuza, nioh, Horizon...) and zelda is coming for "console enthusiasts".

But Japan will also contribute to Nier's sales on console. I really hope the game sells well on both. It deserves all the love it can get in this hell of a release date. (sandwiched with horizon zelda and mass effect+kingdom hearts)

Cramoss

Given what a blowup this topic has been, I was half expecting a Kotaku article to show up at some point or something when I left to take a nap.

Instead, something something Minecraft Chicago and some For Honor break dancing.

That's the problem, fam

Pooya

timed one-year exclusive announcements for ni no kuni and ace combat and now just withholding info for mere days, this is just pathetic.

Magwik

Banned
Why would you play a character action game with an Xbox Controller? Do you hate yourself? Do you think these kind of games always sell more on Sony consoles just cause?
Yes why would Japanese developed games sell better on a Japenese system ... Hmmm surely it's the controller preference!

Come on brah

pezzie

It's still not all there on PC side. I play with DS4 on PC but most games still show XBox button prompts. Kind of annoying, but more and more games are giving the option to use DS4 button prompts so hopefully this will continue.

Aeana

Why would you play a character action game with an Xbox Controller? Do you hate yourself? Do you think these kind of games always sell more on Sony consoles just cause?

Go on, tell us about how Bayonetta sold more on PS3 than 360.
It didn't

Yep, these games have always sold better on Sony consoles because of the controller. How was I blind to that until now?! /s

People prefer certain controllers. Most character action games are from Japanese companies so they are more likely to sell better on Japanese consoles and sometimes they are only on that console and you have no choice anyway.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I've used both controllers for these kinds of games and they're both just fine not sure what you're talking about.

Mifec

I don't think they get his money off cdkeys sites.

It's the EU release date, not a "money hat", this is a really dumb theory. Don't believe it.

He specifically mentioned cdkeys, a site which buys retail, that's already paid for. So they do get money, just less then they would obv.

His real mistake was even replying to the dude.

JaseC

He specifically mentioned cdkeys, a site which buys retail, that's already paid for. So they do get money, just less then they would obv.

His real mistake was even replying to the dude.

Well, he did say "his money", so technically he's correct. ;)

Edit: Oops, quoted the wrong person. Fixed.

jony_m

horrible timing.. my poor wallet. I was actually hoping for a summer Steam release

2/28 horizon

3/10 nier

3/23 ME

4/4 Persona 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom