• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Sprite-work of the 32-bit era

RedZaraki

Banned
A lot of games from the Sega Saturn and PS1 haven't aged all that well. It was a primitive time for 3D graphics after all. Howevever, hand-drawn sprites had fully hit their stride and looked great. They hold up to this day.

What were the absolute best-looking sprites from that era?

Some off the top of my head strong showings:

Breath of Fire III

BoFIIIScene2.png

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Castlevania-Symphony-of-the-Night-2.jpg

Suikoden 2

1376699842216780101.jpg

Albert Odyssey

shot3.jpg

MCD250

I really like the look of some of the Street Fighter Alpha games. Especially Alpha 3. They have a lush, beautiful quality to them, and some of them are very fluidly animated as well.

Charlie still looks dope to me.

Sf-charlie2.gif

leroidys

I'm on mobile so I can't dig up a bunch of links easily, but Breath of Fire 4 and Street Fighter 3 are definitely amongst the best.

Princess Crown

54366-Princess_Crown_(J)-14.jpg

Astal

25913210.png

X-Men vs Street Fighter

10272.jpg

Metal Slug

d7c61b73a4a889eedbdac9cb5634d924.jpg

Alundra

playstation-43177-11334534671.jpg

Battle Garegga

K5p0ca2.jpg

Sengoku Blade

54457-Sengoku_Blade_Disc_1_of_2_(J)-4.jpg

Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru

taromaru-2.png

Guardian Heores

SSF-2013-06-13-16-38-01-90-810x400.jpg

Breath of Fire 4

36625-Breath_of_Fire_IV_[U]-1.png

Darius Gaiden
53988-Darius_Gaiden_(J)-6.jpg

Cotton Boomerang
T9906Gshots.jpg

Hyper Duel
t1809gshots.jpg

Cyberbots Fullmetal Madness
playstation-47316-31346848076.png

Assault Suit Leynos 2
5098233-7608336.jpg

Blazing Star
BlazingStar.gif

Astra Superstars
T-1521G_5,,Sega-Saturn-Screenshot-5-Astra-Superstars-JPN.jpg

Armed Police Batrider
11799A1B4CE2AA7680CD3F

Oddworld Abe's Exodus
oddworld1.jpg

Rayman
1782273_orig.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I just think it's unfortunate that indie devs seem so content to ape the 8-bit style rather than 32-bit. Just lookit some of this shit here. It's just so beautiful.

(Shoutouts to Owlboy and Freedom Planet for keeping the love alive)

Hesh

I just think it's unfortunate that indie devs seem so content to ape the 8-bit style rather than 32-bit. Just lookit some of this shit here. It's just so beautiful.

(Shoutouts to Owlboy and Freedom Planet for keeping the love alive)

Valdis Story has some great sprite work, too.

Zophar

SaGa Frontier 2 had an excellent sprite + watercolor background combo that IMO works better than Legend of Mana's, which came later.

4JfVdWp.jpg

oayR2Tw.png

kCPK32E.png

iJ8pivA.png

Vitacat

Screens of old 2D games remind me how wrong this type of art looks on modern displays.

Unless you're seeing them on a CRT, or at least with some high quality CRT filters and geometry distortion (i.e. HLSL in MAME), you're not seeing them as they were meant to look and actually experienced in their day.

That's why I'm generally not a fan of modern "pixel art" games that purport to have "8bit" or "16bit" style visuals, but completely neglect proper filters so you end up with jumbles of colored blocks.

Slermy

Screens of old 2D games remind me how wrong this type of art looks on modern displays.

Unless you're seeing them on a CRT, or at least with some high quality CRT filters and geometry distortion (i.e. HLSL in MAME), you're not seeing them as they were meant to look and actually experienced in their day.

That's why I'm generally not a fan of modern "pixel art" games that purport to have "8bit" or "16bit" style visuals, but completely neglect proper filters so you end up with jumbles of colored blocks.

I think these aren't necessarily the same. I believe some artists did intend for this art to be crisp, while others did intend for it to be seen on the displays of the era (accounting for NES pixel ratios for circles, adding transparencies through flickering, etc.).

I for one prefer the crisp images. I want to cut my eyes on the pixels.

SaGa Frontier 2 had an excellent sprite + watercolor background combo that IMO works better than Legend of Mana's, which came later.

This was going to be my contribution, especially because it's relatively obscure.

Street Fighter 3 solos every game in this thread.

Just look at this and ask "how can they compete?"

It is of course better than most anything in this thread, but it wasn't released in a 32-bit era console (PSX / Saturn / N64).

This thread is really stressin' me out, guys.

Thread about beautiful pixel art...filled with JPGs that ruin the colors and full of artifacts, all kinds of blur, absurd graphical filters!

Look at this gorgeous gorgeous pixel art:

uurrrrrrghh

Vic_Viper

I'm surprised you went with BOF3 and not BOF4

Breath of Fire IV has always been the one I think of when it comes to best Sprite work on PS1. Xenogears is also really good too.

Yatagarasu has some of the best Sprites I've seen recently from a indie dev game on current gen if we're mentioning new games too.

Justinh

Ah yes, the famously 16-bit Dreamcast. ;)

Era, though.

Third Strike all day long.

Oh, if we're doing "era" though, then I guess I'd have to go with an SNK game- Garou Mark of the Wolves.

mmIMDsN.gif

Even though... I think NeoGeos were 16-bit machines.

Top Bottom