• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 |OT3| The Token King

Which one if you is Destroyer2761344 on PSN. You mudda#$&#. No but what the hell is wrong with the Bungie app for group finding, I never get invited after joining a group. Do people just not know how to use it?

Was there any mention of adding vault space or adding more slots for mods, shaders, ghosts, ships, and sparrows? Because great all that stuff is coming, but as it stands right now I have barely enough space for everything I have now. Even if I paired down my armor sets to three per class and dumped any guns I don't use at all right now that's about half my vault still full. If every season is going to add a ton of new stuff I'm going to be 100% out of space by the end of season 2 no matter what.

Deku Tree

Was there any mention of adding vault space or adding more slots for mods, shaders, ghosts, ships, and sparrows? Because great all that stuff is coming, but as it stands right now I have barely enough space for everything I have now. Even if I paired down my armor sets to three per class and dumped any guns I don't use at all right now that's about half my vault still full. If every season is going to add a ton of new stuff I'm going to be 100% out of space by the end of season 2 no matter what.

Of course not. You expect the space to collect things in what Luke Smith calls a collection game (lulz)?

shermas

Made the mistake of going into Bungie forums

e5oTLwv.gif
What's going on over there? Salt storm?

Super disappointed there's apparently no Halloween event. The game could really use the boost. And yes, before someone points it out I know there wasn't a Halloween event in Y1 Destiny, as though that means something.

Mindlog

Does the Rat King quest reappear like the Acrius quest? I really don't need multiple Rat Kings.
Honestly I'm not sure we could have more useless guns than we currently have. A couple youtubers did some polling, and of the >150 total guns we have, only ~25 were listed as worth using. That isn't even guns classified as good, that is "worth using". So right now, probably 8% good guns, 8% worth using but not good, 84% bad. Random rolls would probably leave us with a bigger range, with some guns being god rolls, some being excellent, some being good, some being acceptable, and some being bad/terrible. Hard to tell if this would lead to more or less total guns being good, but it would definitely mean that some guns right now that aren't worth using could roll perk sets that could make them worth using in the future.

But I don't think purely back to random rolls is the answer. I just wouldn't mind if there was a chance that guns right now that seem cool but are bad have a chance to roll perks making them actually good.
Random rolls would almost certainly lead to even more guns that aren't worth using. The entire goal of the perk system in Destiny 1 boiled down to getting a weapon that conformed as closely as possible to the 'best in class' archetype. In Destiny 1 it didn't really matter which high rate of fire auto rifle you used because you were just chasing something that was as good as Doctrine of Passing. In doing so you'd be using weapons that were 'good enough' and throwing everything else away.

Now I don't know the methodology that created an 84% number for useless weapons, but I can look at my own inventories and spot the differences between D1 and D2 immediately. Even though I have access to DIM in both games I kept duplicates of far more weapons in Destiny 1 because they clearly stood above everything else. With Destiny 2 I'm only keeping one of each weapon. Sure I use Nameless Midnight and Wardcliff Coil extensively, but not enough to keep a copy on each character as I would have done in Destiny 1. Energy weapons are the perfect point for comparison. Had it been available I would have jumped at the opportunity to keep a Hung Jury (fixed roll from vendor) with each element. Even though I can do that in Destiny 2 I don't. I could have had Void/Solar/Arc Pleiades Correctors, but instead chose to keep only an arc. I also have a Conspirator arc scout and a Tone Patrol arc scout. I don't find myself using the same weapon loadout across all characters for every encounter in Destiny 2 like I did in the first game.

Super disappointed there's apparently no Halloween event. The game could really use the boost. And yes, before someone points it out I know there wasn't a Halloween event in Y1 Destiny, as though that means something.

It probably has more to do with the PC release rather than it being Year 1 of Destiny 2.

I'm not sure another cosmetic-based event is what this game needs right now anyways.

Of course not. You expect the space to collect things in what Luke Smith calls a collection game (lulz)?
I get that people are upset that certain aspects of the game aren't up to the standards they expected, but the sarcasm in this post seems is a bit uncalled for. A simple "Nope they haven't said anything about vault space," would have been enough. People get upset that devs don't communicate well with the player base, but post like that do make their silence seem justified.

Bungie already announced that at least Iron Banner and Faction Rally guns will be getting new rolls addressing some of the complaints people have about that stuff. It's not random rolls, but its more stuff to strive for that isn't just cosmetic. It sounds right now at least like a reasonable compromise. They also talked about adjusting Iron Banner tokens, and maybe tokens in general to not be 100% random and to be more self deterministic. Those are important changes that can't happen over night.

I get it the game seems to have taken some steps back from Destiny 1. Things like having Trials cancelled for a couple of weeks over an emote or Exodus Crash being broken again is incredibly frustrating and aren't helping the lack of serious endgame for the more dedicated players. However there needs to be some give and take here and post like above aren't working.

It probably has more to do with the PC release rather than it being Year 1 of Destiny 2.

I'm not sure another cosmetic-based event is what this game needs right now anyways.

It doesn't "need" it, but cosmetics matter to me and it would have been a nice holdover since we're not getting actual 'meaningful' changes for months.

Deku Tree

I get that people are upset that certain aspects of the game aren't up to the standards they expected, but the sarcasm in this post seems is a bit uncalled for. A simple "Nope they haven't said anything about vault space," would have been enough. People get upset that devs don't communicate well with the player base, but post like that do make their silence seem justified.

Bungie already announced that at least Iron Banner and Faction Rally guns will be getting new rolls addressing some of the complaints people have about that stuff. It's not random rolls, but its more stuff to strive for that isn't just cosmetic. It sounds right now at least like a reasonable compromise. They also talked about adjusting Iron Banner tokens, and maybe tokens in general to not be 100% random and to be more self deterministic. Those are important changes that can't happen over night.

I get it the game seems to have taken some steps back from Destiny 1. Things like having Trials cancelled for a couple of weeks over an emote or Exodus Crash being broken again is incredibly frustrating and aren't helping the lack of serious endgame for the more dedicated players. However there needs to be some give and take here and post like above aren't working.

You think it's "uncalled for" to laugh about the fact that they are making this into a collection game and at the same time giving us a pathetic amount of space to store our collect stuff? lulz, one of the original complaints from D1 early days is a very small amount of space. They could give us a legendary kiosk to rebuy all of our stuff that we already got but they never did it.

In January I'll be 10 years on Bungie. As a Mythic member, seeing the state of those destiny forums is disheartening. Nothing but kids complaining. I know better than to start boycotts and ask for Bungie members to be fired. It's crazy how badly moderated it is there now.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
In January I'll be 10 years on Bungie. As a Mythic member, seeing the state of those destiny forums is disheartening. Nothing but kids complaining. I know better than to start boycotts and ask for Bungie members to be fired. It's crazy how badly moderated it is there now.

Well it's actually the whole industry. Gamers of today are like that. You should see what happens when a fighting game developer nerfs or buffs a certain character.

You think it's "uncalled for" to laugh about the fact that they are making this into a collection game and at the same time giving us a pathetic amount of space to store our collect stuff? lulz, one of the original complaints from D1 early days is a very small amount of space. They could give us a legendary kiosk to rebuy all of our stuff that we already got but they never did it.

Typing lulz into any post immediately makes its derisive and that's the uncalled for part. Be critical and expect more from Bungie! Hey be a little angry as long as the vitriol is kept in check. Just always be constructive in those arguments. I imagine that Bungie actually appreciate constructive criticism, because it gives them some direction and something to strive for when they do updates.

These people almost certainly busted their asses to get the game out, and they're probably really upset that their biggest fans aren't happy with the game right now. I think it's important to always remember that game development pays alright, but these people could probably work in other industries and get paid more working less stressful jobs. This doesn't mean one should expect less from them because their jobs are hard, but it does mean people should treat them more fairly than they usually seem to.

It's crazy how easy the normal raid is when everyone is at 300+ and knows what to do. A month ago my group was bashing our heads against the wall for three hours. Last night I joined a random LFG team and we one-shot everything.

And I'm STILL not interested in prestige mode. Nothing I'm hearing about it adds up from a time required versus rewards standpoint. That's a shame since I want to be all over the hard mode.

What are the NF modifiers this week?

Grenades 'R' Us.

Timewarp: Zero Hour - no extending the time limit.
Torrent - Skill recharge rate increased.

Vic_Viper

on PS4, Looking for a group for the Regular Raid or Nightfall. Ive completed the Raid once so far and know what to do.

PSN: Squadon
305 Warlock and 303 Titan

Deku Tree

Typing lulz into any post immediately makes its derisive and that's the uncalled for part. Be critical and expect more from Bungie! Hey be a little angry as long as the vitriol is kept in check. Just always be constructive in those arguments. I imagine that Bungie actually appreciate constructive criticism, because it gives them some direction and something to strive for when they do updates.

These people almost certainly busted their asses to get the game out, and they're probably really upset that their biggest fans aren't happy with the game right now. I think it's important to always remember that game development pays alright, but these people could probably work in other industries and get paid more working less stressful jobs. This doesn't mean one should expect less from them because their jobs are hard, but it does mean people should treat them more fairly than they usually seem to.

Wait you are on a forum on the internet and typing "lulz" is uncalled for? OK. I am not going to argue with you any further.

But I will say this. I am fine with the game. I like it right now. I like the improvements that they are making. If I don't like a part of the game then I don't play it. Simple as that.

What I don't like is the corporate advertising based "double speak." But that is the world that we live in so I know that I will have to deal with it. Although I will still call it out.

Example: "Destiny is becoming a collection game" (But we are not gonna give you nearly enough space to collect stuff because money reasons).

Example: "Destiny is becoming a collection game" (But we are not gonna give you nearly enough space to collect stuff because money reasons).

Are they selling extra storage space? Because if not, this rings a bit hollow. More of a design failure than a sign of corporate greed.

Deku Tree

Are they selling extra storage space? Because if not, this rings a bit hollow. More of a design failure than a sign of corporate greed.

I would guess it is more a sign of server storage space needed for storage for all items times all players. Not sure why you are bringing up them selling storage space.

Well it's actually the whole industry. Gamers of today are like that. You should see what happens when a fighting game developer nerfs or buffs a certain character.

Indeed as I follow the fgc a lot but on Bungie's forums the old site was MUCH better. These new people from Destiny dont give constructive criticism much. It becomes overwhelming to see after awhile that all the community says is fuck you to the devs.

It seems like the only thing they've commented on in regards to storage space is they are looking into a way to delete stacks of shaders. It's good they're working on that, but that's just a really small part of the problem. It's hard for me to get excited at the prospect of new stuff when that's going to entail even more inventory management. I'm sure there are hardware limitations preventing Bungie from giving each player like 1000 vault slots, but there really needs to be some system put in place to make it easy to use stuff the player has already earned once. Preferably something a little better than the collections tab now, because deleting an exotic and then having to infuse it back up again to use it again later is not great.

Prestige Raid done.

Shout out to Nami for being out fill in 6th!

That was tough. I'm glad I did it, but I can't see myself ever doing it again unless people really need help.

Also, I'm just going to say it ahead of time...screw Calus challenge because it's totally going to be everyone goes into the shadow realm at least once.

Namikaze1

Leviathan Prestige #2 done

Still freaking hilarious the emblem is a freaking rare (blue) one and it doesn't count # of completions.

Was only planning on doing just the one and never touch Prestige again but Ape asked nicely.

Deku Tree

It seems like the only thing they've commented on in regards to storage space is they are looking into a way to delete stacks of shaders. It's good they're working on that, but that's just a really small part of the problem. It's hard for me to get excited at the prospect of new stuff when that's going to entail even more inventory management. I'm sure there are hardware limitations preventing Bungie from giving each player like 1000 vault slots, but there really needs to be some system put in place to make it easy to use stuff the player has already earned once. Preferably something a little better than the collections tab now, because deleting an exotic and then having to infuse it back up again to use it again later is not great.

There is no local hardware limitation. Look at a game like Nioh that allows you to store like over 4000 things. But Nioh has a local save. The issue is that Bungie stores your save on their server. This prevents a lot of cheating and makes the game much better. But it also means Bungie has recurring costs for your storage for the full amount of time that the game remains live.

Zereta

Watching and reading up summaries from the Seasons stream, it does sound promising. The changes being made for Season 2 to Faction Rally and Iron Banner, the gear refreshes across the board, they talk about new armor sets and and gear refreshes. It all sounds good.

I think watching the stream yesterday, because a bunch of the content they were able to show were the cosmetic stuff, it felt disappointing. But actually removed from that, if you listen to what is being said, Seasons sounds like a promising content and Season 2 of Y1 already sounds like a nice influx of new changes is coming with it. It probably launching alongside Curse of Osiris is gonna feel good.

I do hope they amp up the cadence of updates as well but I guess that risks them running into a situation where the community is displeased with the amount of content per update. 3 monthly updates help ensure they can get a good amount of stuff in?

There is no local hardware limitation. Look at a game like Nioh that allows you to store like over 4000 things. But Nioh has a local save. The issue is that Bungie stores your save on their server. This prevents a lot of cheating and makes the game much better. But it also means Bungie has recurring costs for your storage for the full amount of time that the game remains live.

This is probably the truth, but after hearing that holstering was removed in Mass Effect 3 because of a memory limitation I tend to give some consideration to seemingly innocuous things being more demanding than they actually are. I get that things are bit different now console memory isn't at the kind of premium it was when Mass Effect 3 came out, but you never know.

Either way I'd hope addressing that problem is one of the priorities for Season 2.

v1perz53

Man every week I'm reminded of how frustrating this modification system can be. Been trying to get a Recovery mod for my boots for 2 weeks now, and after hundreds of random mods and gunsmith packages bought I haven't even gotten one. I wish more of the random systems in D2 had some kind of bad luck protection, where you dismantle 10 of the wrong thing and can actually buy 1 of the right one.

Random rolls would almost certainly lead to even more guns that aren't worth using. The entire goal of the perk system in Destiny 1 boiled down to getting a weapon that conformed as closely as possible to the 'best in class' archetype. In Destiny 1 it didn't really matter which high rate of fire auto rifle you used because you were just chasing something that was as good as Doctrine of Passing. In doing so you'd be using weapons that were 'good enough' and throwing everything else away.

Now I don't know the methodology that created an 84% number for useless weapons, but I can look at my own inventories and spot the differences between D1 and D2 immediately. Even though I have access to DIM in both games I kept duplicates of far more weapons in Destiny 1 because they clearly stood above everything else. With Destiny 2 I'm only keeping one of each weapon. Sure I use Nameless Midnight and Wardcliff Coil extensively, but not enough to keep a copy on each character as I would have done in Destiny 1. Energy weapons are the perfect point for comparison. Had it been available I would have jumped at the opportunity to keep a Hung Jury (fixed roll from vendor) with each element. Even though I can do that in Destiny 2 I don't. I could have had Void/Solar/Arc Pleiades Correctors, but instead chose to keep only an arc. I also have a Conspirator arc scout and a Tone Patrol arc scout. I don't find myself using the same weapon loadout across all characters for every encounter in Destiny 2 like I did in the first game.

I guess I wasn't exactly clear, I think random rolls would certainly introduce more DROPS not worth using (because of bad perk sets) but more GUNS worth using (since a "worse" gun with god roll perks is worth using). I'm not sure if this is better or worse, but it would certainly have more variety than there is now. One of my main issues is that because of fixed rolls, some guns are just better forever. For example, once you get an Uriels/Prosecutor, you're "done" in terms of energy auto rifles. That one is best, no reason to use anything else. And it isn't even really a matter of preference, they do more damage, kill faster, are more stable and have better range than the other options. With random rolls maybe your first Uriels has bad perks, so when a Martyr's Make or Solemn Hymn drops with good perks you swap to that, then a better Prosecutor drops and you swap to that. Again, I don't know if this way is BETTER, but it leads to more variety and changing weapons (which could be frustrating with the current way infusion works, needing same gun type). Right now, it just makes me sad that I have the guns that are "best" for most slots, and every other gun that drops is just a waste because I know it is worse than what I have before even getting it.

That said, I still keep one of each gun in my Vault, cause you know what they say about the worst gun in the game. It is one balance patch away from being an OP FOTM monster.

I actually need that too, ive done everything up to the NF for it. But dont know if we can do it with 5 mins left.

We did it this morning with 4 minutes left, and that was without running past any of the enemies or rushing

Wanna do a bit of a practise run to see which sections we can run past now?

Top Bottom