• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cidd

Eurogamer is still wrong about it.
The flexible memory used to be 1 GiB virtual and 512MiB physical.
Now is 512 MiB virtual and 512MiB physical.

The physical flexible memory is unchanged.
And 1GiB virtual memory has been changed long ago.

A wild Gskyace appears.

Spill it...

odhiex

Thanks @Aquamarine for the summary, It is really hard sometimes for me following the thread with 3000+ posts overnight.

Melchiah

So is this whole RAM episode now the biggest-ever carnival of stupid in GAF history. I've only been around since 2007 or so, but this has to come close....

Fanboys are desperate in finding fault wherever they can find, whether it's true or not. I imagine there'll be a plenty of the same coming during the following years.

cchum

Eurogamer is still wrong about it.
The flexible memory used to be 1 GiB virtual and 512MiB physical.
Now is 512 MiB virtual and 512MiB physical.

The physical flexible memory is unchanged.
And 1GiB virtual memory has been changed long ago.

What SCE and Eurogamer said has already been sadi yesterday by o_sharp

http://bbs.a9vg.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3546905&page=9&authorid=483741

+1 This design is roughly follows the xbox 360's design, however, underestimate the mark cerny so wrong. You give ps4 map direct memory, I can have control very much, that guy set up many ways to take advantage of bandwidth.

Even the chinese love Cerny. Don't underestimate the Cerny

can someone knowledgeable give more insight about the flexible memory?

Sony said

""Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it."

what's FreeBSD virtual memory functionality? advantages, disadvantages, why have it be flexible at all etc. this is the first time I heard about 'flexible memory'

Pwn

If Virtual Memory is considered as available memory,

then we should admit Xbox One also has MORE THAN 5GiB memories available for Games.

i-Lo

So is it time to patch the tubs back yet? I remember lots of broken tubs yesterday.

Time for repost:

lol2_by_gifsandmore-d6fezgz.gif

Its funny seeing all the junior alt accounts that get activated by these threads.

You can just imagine the scene at astroturfing headquarters:

"All hands on deck, all hands on deck, Code Red, Code Red!"

I'm still trying to catch up, but I always thought accounts had to activated/approved.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
I do have to laugh. For ever and a day developers cry for as much RAM as possible. The more the better. So Sony in a bid to give developers what they want expand the memory from 4 to 8 gig and take all the praise for giving so much RAM to developers. But then they reserve 3 gig of that for the os. So what the hell were they going to do when they had 4 gig? Give developers 1 gig of RAM. Either this is BS or Sony are stupid.

KidBeta

can someone knowledgeable give more insight about the flexible memory?

Sony said

""Flexible Memory" is memory managed by the PS4 OS on the game's behalf, and allows games to use some very nice FreeBSD virtual memory functionality. However this memory is 100 per cent the game's memory, and is never used by the OS, and as it is the game's memory it should be easy for every developer to use it."

what's FreeBSD virtual memory functionality? advantages, disadvantages, why have it be flexible at all etc. this is the first time I heard about 'flexible memory'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_memory

Pretty much a virtual memory address maps to a physical page either in memory or on the disk.

lol You lucky juniors. It took me about 8 months before I got approved.

Oh yeah? Well I was approved maybe a week ago and I applied the same day the Wright brothers took flight in Kitty Hawk in nineteen aught three. Soared like a bird those boys did. Brought a tear to my nutsack.

Anyway, on topic, have we had any further confirmation besides thuway and the gentleman who developed RCR?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh yeah? Well I was approved maybe a week ago and I applied the same day the Wright brothers took flight in Kitty Hawk in nineteen aught three. Soared like a bird those boys did. Brought a tear to my nutsack.

Anyway, on topic, have we had any further confirmation besides thuway and the gentleman who developed RCR?

BruceLeeRoy and Kagari backed up Thuway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom