• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone ever tried Minoxidil for beard growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Seems like there are easier/safer ways to improve your self-image. That said, your body, your choice.

I'm one of those in the other camp, might be interested in a topical anti-hair drug. Would prefer to be clean shaven every day but have more important things to spend my money/time on. Just use a trimmer once a week over my entire head.

Personalities seem to divide as you get older, some of us care a lot less about this stuff and some of us care a lot more. I think it might have something do with realizing that "being a man" is about actions, not appearances.

rambis

Banned
Whats missing from the pic in the OP is how many days unshaven he is. It might be 6 months on the product but how many days unshaven? There seems to be alot of videos of this working though. I may try this to save my struggle beard.

Why do people keep posting useless shit like:

1) Oh I can grow that guy's 6 months in 15 minutes.

2) Shaving sucks, I don't know why you would want to.

If you can grow a full beard in 10 seconds then obviously this isn't for you, but you surely realize that other people can't and yet may want to. And the fact they can't grow a full beard doesn't mean they don't have to shave, specially if their growth is patchy. Some/many people suffer the hassle of having to shave and being unable to grow out a full beard.

Please stop it with the useless comments. Nobody gives a shit that you or your husbands or brothers or whoever have no problems growing a beard and hates shaving, this is about using minoxidil to help those who want, but can't grow one.

You can state health concerns or advocate caution, but that's that and talking about your full natural beards isn't it.

I don't know how many of these "oh I can grow a beard in a week / day / minute" posts are real or vastly exaggerating.

Those of you posting such things, why don't you go unshaven for a week and post your results? We wanna take a look at those 1 week superbeards. Or maybe your growth isn't as fast as you may think it is.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why do people keep posting useless shit like:

1) Oh I can grow that guy's 6 months in 15 minutes.

2) Shaving sucks, I don't know why you would want to.

If you can grow a full beard in 10 seconds then obviously this isn't for you, but you surely realize that other people can't and yet may want to. And the fact they can't grow a full beard doesn't mean they don't have to shave, specially if their growth is patchy. Some/many people suffer the hassle of having to shave and being unable to grow out a full beard.

Please stop it with the useless comments. Nobody gives a shit that you or your husbands or brothers or whoever have no problems growing a beard and hates shaving, this is about using minoxidil to help those who want, but can't grow one.

You can state health concerns or advocate caution, but that's that and talking about your full natural beards isn't it.
Wanting to use Minoxodil to grow a beard isn't any more stupid than wanting to use it for your bald head. That doesn't have anything to do with whether it's specifically approved for that purpose of course. But you don't need hair on your head either.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If it can convince at least one person from derailing the thread with tales of their great effortless beard (in a thread for people who struggle with the same) then it will have been worth it. Right now the score is at -1 because it made you want to post about it.

I'm not salty, I'm literally wondering what compels people into posting that kind of stuff in this thread. It serves absolutely no purpose and no one's asking for it, it just comes across as condescension and bragging, if not outright mean spirited towards people who might be interested in but are unable to grow a beard. And it's "just a beard" but are you really unempathetic enough that you feel the need to flaunt a genetic "advantage" towards the goal of growing a beard at people who can't?

If it were at least actionable advice, or side effects disclaimers then it would be of some use to the thread topic.
It's GAF. If there is a desirable thing, the loudest GAFfers do it all the time. This is why GAF is full of 8.5 inch dicks that go for 30 minutes every time.

Eh I just read through it all. I wouldn't use strange stuff to grow a beard. My beard doesn't grow full in a week I would love to see someones who has this issue. I do have horrible five o'clock shadow but after the scratch comes in it is just normal ass growth.

Why do you want a beard? What will a beard actually help you achieve in life?

Hydrus

Eh I just read through it all. I wouldn't use strange stuff to grow a beard. My beard doesn't grow full in a week I would love to see someones who has this issue. I do have horrible five o'clock shadow but after the scratch comes in it is just normal ass growth.

Why do you want a beard? What will a beard actually help you achieve in life?

I have hair, just patchy growth. If I don't shave it at least every other day, you can really notice all the empty patches with the stubble. Which is why I stopped shaving and just decided to grow it out and see if I can get it to fill in.

Lol. For the millionth time, I have facial hair. I want to use this to fill in the patchy areas that aren't growing in yet. I don't have a baby face or else I wouldn't even bother with this stuff. I'm tired of shaving, but also tired of not having a full beard.

I'd be hesitant to recommend this for anybody, but my first thing would be to consider your age. Today (age 33), I have a thick, enormous beard, and while I've had "a beard" for at least 10 years, it really took into my mid-to-late 20s for it to be seriously thick all over my beard-growing face. If I look at photos of me -- bearded -- even back to my mid-20s, I had a beard, but it was thin in specific areas around my chin or the edges of my face. This would cause me to usually keep it much more trimmed than I do now.

So, I think I'd recommend for any people considering taking medicine that could have adverse affects on your heart or other side affects, to consider that even if you're in your mid-20s, your facial hair growth can still be changing. Now, of course, if you're in your 30s and have absolutely no consistent growth at all, and if it's a confidence issue for you, then sure you can weigh the risks and decide for yourself. But, speaking from experience as somebody who has a wild, thick beard, even into age 25, 26, or 27, my beard wasn't fully "in" like it has been from 30 - 33.

Curiously, about how old are you? I was frustrated with my facial hair in my early 20s... like say 20-25, and so from 20-22 I really kept no facial hair because it was spotty growth. From 22-25, I started growing a beard but it looked messy... Like the space between my upper lip and chin were basically just whisps of hair and it looked cheesy so I'd shave it all off usually. It really wasn't until I was in my late 20s that I could grow a beard thatI I was comfortable with, though I've had a beard for about 10 years... BUt if I look back on it, it was spotty across a lot of my face. Now, it's very thick and long and comes in everywhere.. But I'm in my 30s.

If you're in your early to mid 20s you could be like me. In that case, I don't know if it's worth the potential negative health affects.

Not only is it not worth paying money for something as superficial and unnecessary as beard growth, but it's DEFINITELY not worth it for something that could have adverse health effects, much more so serious health effects.

Though in the spirit of disclosure I've got the opposite problem where I'm at hobo status after 3-4 days and would frankly rather just shut the thing off permanently than have to deal with shaving on my sensitive and super cut-prone skin.

jelly

Funny that people want beard growth but others can't stand shaving often. Guess what you don't have matters.

rambis

Banned
I'd be hesitant to recommend this for anybody, but my first thing would be to consider your age. Today (age 33), I have a thick, enormous beard, and while I've had "a beard" for at least 10 years, it really took into my mid-to-late 20s for it to be seriously thick all over my beard-growing face. If I look at photos of me -- bearded -- even back to my mid-20s, I had a beard, but it was thin in specific areas around my chin or the edges of my face. This would cause me to usually keep it much more trimmed than I do now.

So, I think I'd recommend for any people considering taking medicine that could have adverse affects on your heart or other side affects, to consider that even if you're in your mid-20s, your facial hair growth can still be changing. Now, of course, if you're in your 30s and have absolutely no consistent growth at all, and if it's a confidence issue for you, then sure you can weigh the risks and decide for yourself. But, speaking from experience as somebody who has a wild, thick beard, even into age 25, 26, or 27, my beard wasn't fully "in" like it has been from 30 - 33.

Curiously, about how old are you? I was frustrated with my facial hair in my early 20s... like say 20-25, and so from 20-22 I really kept no facial hair because it was spotty growth. From 22-25, I started growing a beard but it looked messy... Like the space between my upper lip and chin were basically just whisps of hair and it looked cheesy so I'd shave it all off usually. It really wasn't until I was in my late 20s that I could grow a beard thatI I was comfortable with, though I've had a beard for about 10 years... BUt if I look back on it, it was spotty across a lot of my face. Now, it's very thick and long and comes in everywhere.. But I'm in my 30s.
Im pretty much in the same boat as you at 27. Most of my face is covered but theres enough thin spots to keep my shaved.

No it shouldn't have been because it's the wrong grab from the episode dammit!

ZkOTr8l.gif

That's the one I came in here looking for. Quite late in the thread, if you ask me. Simpsons-GAF blowing it.

Hydrus

If you're in your early to mid 20s you could be like me. In that case, I don't know if it's worth the potential negative health affects.

I'm 27. The patchy look isn't a good look for me since I work in a office and deal with people all day. I don't like shaving everyday.

This is somewhat how my facial looks. Mines maybe a slightly more fuller. I'm definitely not as dreamy looking as this dude either.

167.jpg

Peltz

we don't have the counterfactual, the forum suggests he was 24 when he started taking it, and it's definitely not unusual for someone to begin growing a beard at 24-25.

I couldn't grow a beard at 25. And now, at 30 I have a fairly lush one. No Minoxidil needed.

Those hair follicles tend not to be as active in your early 20s.

eot

Banned
What would the person in the OP pics look like of six months without shaving without using this stuff? 'Cause that is some really weak growth and is pretty unconvincing.

Uh, what?
The difference is huge, and he's clearly shaving regularly. It's not about how long it is, it's about the density.

Servbot24

Banned
The grass really is always greener.

Shaving is a hassle. I'd prefer not to grow facial hair.

Those of us with thin beards still have to shave. I look ridiculous if I go without shaving, where if I could grow a beard I would at least have the option of leaving it be and still looking good.

darscot

Holy shit this is real thing, dudes are buying product for growing beards these days?! This seems so desperate and sad.

Slaythe

I couldn't grow a beard at 25. And now, at 30 I have a fairly lush one. No Minoxidil needed.

Those hair follicles tend not to be as active in your early 20s.

Same here.

No beard at 25, I'm not 30 yet and my beard isn't perfect either, but at the pace it's been spreading, by 30 I'll have one.

Don't give up.

I'll probably never have facial hair on the front of my chin though and I can't grow a mustache.

My facial hair implantation looks like Wolverine's beard. I guess it's okay.

darscot

Why is that desperate and sad?

Just can't understand why you would do this. The obsession with self image. I can understand the whole stigma about baldness. Its not me but I understand guys don't want to be bald. Your beard though who gives a shit it's just too far for me. I guess also my impression of a beard. To me its a playoff thing or an army thing. I remember my dad coming home with a few weeks of growth and filth because he had been sleeping in a ditch in the army. Beards were like for camping and saying fuck it. A beard is kinda a rebellion from self image and fashion. How times change.

Booser

It actually does work. I was pretty self conscious about my facial hair when i started college. I would get growth in my goatee region but none on my cheeks at all.

I started using minoxidil on my cheeks and after a few months had some noticeable results. It takes a long time though.

In the end it's hard to tell if it was the drug or just being a natural late starter. I'm 34 now and can grow a full beard, I haven't used the stuff regularly in about 7 or 8 years I'd say. If i had to guess i would say the minoxidil kick starts the process and wakes the follicles up. Thankfully it hasn't fallen out again. My beard continues to thicken with age though, so if it works for you I'm sure you will reach a point you won't need it anymore.

Holy shit this is real thing, dudes are buying product for growing beards these days?! This seems so desperate and sad.

I would imagine it's for people who can't grow a full beard. This shit is annoying af, my hair comes in all patchy so I either have to look like a bum or shave every 3-4 days. Some people would probably rather just have the ability to grow a full beard.

Just can't understand why you would do this. The obsession with self image. I can understand the whole stigma about baldness. Its not me but I understand guys don't want to be bald. Your beard though who gives a shit it's just too far for me. I guess also my impression of a beard. To me its a playoff thing or an army thing. I remember my dad coming home with a few weeks of growth and filth because he had been sleeping in a ditch in the army. Beards were like for camping and saying fuck it. A beard is kinda a rebellion from self image and fashion. How times change.
It's really easy to tell someone that self image doesn't matter while injecting your own opinion on it. It's like the rich telling the poor to just stop spending money in order to get rich.

darscot

It's really easy to tell someone that self image doesn't matter while injecting your own opinion on it. It's like the rich telling the poor to just stop spending money in order to get rich.

Well I think that is taking it to whole other place. To me this is just marketing. Guys are being sold on silliness. Buying and rubbing shit in your face to grow a beard, what is the ROI on this? I'm not going into the whole rich vs poor and classes of society, how about we stick to facial hair.

Everyone should just immediately dismiss comments like this. Obviously the most important thing for a man hairwise is the one on his head. I gots that. But guess what? Not everyone is born with a sculpted lower third like Henry Cavill.

Beard or stubble game is fucking legit as fuck people, and I'm envious of any fucker that has it at my age. Minoxdil+Dermaroller is a great combo I hear OP, I commend u if u go this route. Bettering your looks should never be shamed, looks is life.

DOWN

Banned
Well I think that is taking it to whole other place. To me this is just marketing. Guys are being sold on silliness. Buying and rubbing shit in your face to grow a beard, what is the ROI on this? I'm not going into the whole rich vs poor and classes of society, how about we stick to facial hair.
?? Millions and millions run this on their head for no reason besides looks

darscot

?? Millions and millions run this on their head for no reason besides looks

Like I said that is not for me, but I understand the pressures of society on dudes and baldness. I just think you gotta draw the line somewhere and beard is over it for me. If you feel the ROI is there than all the power to you. I just know I would give a little friendly abuse if I saw a friend doing this. Like I said times change. I'm 45 so doubt I'm in the target demographic.

riotous

Banned

Beards are trendy; and to top it off they are tied to masculinity and genetics. When someone compliments someone on their beard it's not the same as other features; "Hey nice outfit" vs. "Wow, IMPRESSIVE beard!"

Angry Grimace

The number of dudes buying this to grow hair on their heads is probably 1000 times the number using it to grow beards.

It's the same thing.

benzy

I think it's hilarious this bothers you so much. Some dudes just can't grow full beards but like the look. There isn't much more to it.

Yeoman

Like I said that is not for me, but I understand the pressures of society on dudes and baldness. I just think you gotta draw the line somewhere and beard is over it for me. If you feel the ROI is there than all the power to you. I just know I would give a little friendly abuse if I saw a friend doing this. Like I said times change. I'm 45 so doubt I'm in the target demographic.
I really don't understand your activity in this thread at all.
Listen:
  • The planet has fashion trends, currently beards are fashionable.
  • Some people cannot grow beards.
  • Minoxidil offers a possible solution to that.
That's literally all there is to this, I have no idea why you are so angry about this.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
As someone who shaves everyday because otherwise I'll grow mutton chops worthy of the Hellfire Club, or a latin mustache coarse enough to cause splinters, I say go for it! But just remember:

(the health risks include clotting problems, chest tightness, blood pressure issues, etc.)

darscot

I am not angry at all. Not sure what I said to make everyone think I am worked up about this or that I am bothered by it. I am surprised by it that is all. I think its sad that as a society this is where we are going. When I was in highschool it just became ok to use gel in your hair. My first year the older guys would openly mock you for it. Because of my age and demographic I grew up that products were frowned on an negative. I am happy about that. I can't imagine what it will be like, in the future will guys have the full suite of products and equipment? If they want that I have no issue with it. I am just glad none of that shit matter or was important in my time of coming of age.

Angry Grimace

I am not angry at all. Not sure what I said to make everyone think I am worked up about this or that I am bothered by it. I am surprised by it that is all. I think its sad that as a society this is where we are going. When I was in highschool it just became ok to use gel in your hair. My first year the older guys would openly mock you for it. Because of my age and demographic I grew up that products were frowned on an negative. I am happy about that. I can't imagine what it will be like, in the future will guys have the full suite of products and equipment? If they want that I have no issue with it. I am just glad none of that shit matter or was important in my time of coming of age.

You're hilariously out of touch if you think it's "sad" that people care about their look enough to do basically anything about it. I also straight up, full on do not believe you for a second that "none of that shit matter[ed]" in your time of coming of age. People have cared about their look since literally forever. Seriously, many species of wild animals care about their look. That argument is nonsensical.

Seriously, this is some kind of "get off my lawn" ranting.

darscot

You're hilariously out of touch if you think it's "sad" that people care about their look enough to do basically anything about it.

Yes I am completely out of touch and gladly. If your willing to do basically anything for looks I think you need professional help. I'm just one dude though and my opinion doesn't mean shit.

Angry Grimace

Yes I am completely out of touch and gladly. If your willing to do basically anything for looks I think you need professional help. I'm just one dude though and my opinion doesn't mean shit.

I have no idea why you keep acting like using an FDA approved product for hair growth for hair growth is akin to questionable plastic surgery from a back-alley clinic in Tijuana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom