• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

I wonder if there will still be weapons spawning on maps without the random thing. Will there be needlers, BR's etc at fixed spots? And what about the semi-power weapons? I really need some answers about the random spawning :(

That's the problem, they left themselves open to ambiguity. Of course they knew the Halo fanbase was going to rage (maybe not this much), but im thinking if they dont explain a lot of these features before they're ready too, it's going to hurt sales.

Ugh, i just can't imagine sprint AND active camo/sprint AND jetpack.. my god.. what have they done.

Well MLG it's been fun, i'll miss ya <3

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Why is it just Halo that is always in constant need to evolve into something that it's not? You don't see Street Fighter, Starcraft, Counter-Strike and Call Of Duty evolving into something the longtime fans don't want. This always puzzled me.

That being said, I still kinda expecting (hoping) to be blown away by the changes and fixes to AAs brought forth by 343i here and eat some crow. What's the ETA on the podcast??

edit-

@Gui Hepburn

Exactly. SO many franchises haven't changed a bit and people are fine with that but god forbid Halo remains Halo.

TheOddOne

Bhahahahhahaa.

18024051.jpg
18023948.jpg

Retro

t2N30.jpg

I step away from GAF for a while and suddenly the sky is falling. A magazine has a limited amount of space and needs to punch up sales, so obviously they're just going to bullet point the shit out of their information and then smear it across multiple pages. Magazines are also printed weeks in advance before information can change. Not to mention what the hell is up with all the redacted shit in those scans?

I quietly reserve judgement on Halo 4 until I get to see it being played. This X-ray vision, for example, could be something very simple that GI didn't understand the context of. Hell, in my big ass Halo 4 post, I mentioned having x-ray vision on a forerunner weapon;

Reactive Hologram
One weapon could utilize the Hologram effect from Reach, as it was great at faking enemies out. Additionally, if an enemy actually shoots the "reactive" hologram, it will create an on-screen 'ghost' of an enemy, visible even through walls, that shows where the [enemy] shooter is at. I'm seeing this on the Forerunner version of the Assault / Plasma Rifle, something they'd use to set traps.

Did GI get the whole story? For one, we don't know anything because all we have is some random guy with a leaked copy of the magazine giving us this info. For another, we don't know the context in which GI was seeing "Forerunner vision" being used. Maybe the X-ray vision is an AA with an extremely short duration or limited range. Right now, we just don't know.

Likewise with random weapon drops; are they random because different weapons appear in different places? Are they random because they don't respawn at the set times? Are they random because weapons just fall anywhere rather than set locations? Nobody knows.

The same with Instant Respawns. For all we know, that's one of these Armor Modifications, and picking that one, while getting you into the game faster, may not be as useful as other modifications. In fact, it would only be a really useful modification if you suck and die a lot. So maybe you pick that one if you're trying to get the taste of floor out of your mouth, but is useless the rest of the time... and you'd prefer a more useful while playing Mod.

The bottom line is, we just don't know. But the sky isn't falling and Halo 4 isn't even close to being released. Maybe wait a bit and see before we start making comments like "I will never play Halo 4" or "Preorder cancelled", no?

Also, not to be a dick, but the doom and gloom is kinda disrespectful to the 343 guys we know are here. Is HaloGAF's faith so easily shaken?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Exactly. SO many franchises haven't changed a bit and people are fine with that but god forbid Halo remains Halo.

its funny though, you talk to the fans of those series and they'd say they HAVE changed, sometimes drastically and for the worse. and people who arent fans of halo complain it hasnt changed and is stale. its all relative and its a poor argument.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh... I had to dial back my excitement level from hyped, to very cautiously optimistic. I need clarity to see how I'll really feel. Random weapon spawns and X-ray vision have me concerned.

Recarpo

Just got up and read some of the updated stuff from late last night. Still skeptical about most of the MP stuff and I'll have to wait and see how it all actually works before a final judgement, but I think the SP has a lot of potential depending on how spartan ops actually plays out.

TheOddOne

Also, not to be a dick, but the doom and gloom is kinda disrespectful to the 343 guys we know are here. Is HaloGAF's faith so easily shaken?
While I agree to some extent, 343 had to have known that people would react the way they did. Even Ellis alluded to it, so they know people would talk.

Homeboyd

That's not nice. He died yesterday.
loldamn

I've got to believe there will be a "new" suite for the new multiplayer experience coupled with the "classic" versions available for competitive play at it's current state. They said the customization abilities would let you tear it down to the core, classic Halo we all love. Makes the most sense to me... want to play old school (best) Halo MP? Go here.. want to try out all the new goodies? Go here.

Also, the possibility of "bots" may be our 'dedicated form of FF' in that we can create our own small, slayer style 'you vs AI' matches on the MP maps we have available to us. No need to dedicate an entire mode for that if that's the case.

Spartan Ops does sound absolutely amazing. I don't understand the continuous content though.. even if it's DLC or available on disk... is it from new geometry not seen in the game? Or just sectioned off pieces from the campaign (and maybe MP) with pre-built objective style missions that pop up each week. Sounds very promising though.

I can imagine it would be difficult to watch this thread go to absolute bat shit crazy levels of disappointment and not be able to say much, but I'll remain hopeful that we'll get the answers we want soon.

Story bits, from what has been shown, look good, but my main concern, given the discussion over in the GI thread, is a romance forming between MC and Cortana. Eck.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The backlash is hilarious. There's no better side dish to a nice lunch than reading manchild temper tantrums based on hazy information.

Meme images are funny too.

op_ivy

Spartan Ops does sound absolutely amazing. I don't understand the continuous content though.. even if it's DLC or available on disk... is it from new geometry not seen in the game? Or just sectioned off pieces from the campaign (and maybe MP) with pre-built objective style missions that pop up each week. Sounds very promising though.

iirc, the article actually specified NEW spaces in spartan ops (please tell me that name and "spartan points" is placeholder)

Karl2177

t2N30.jpg

Is HaloGAF's faith so easily shaken?

Did you play the same Reach the rest of us did? That soured the Halo MP experience enough to put 343i under a microscope for what they should do with Halo 4. I think there's enough reason with the information that is currently given to be extremely cynical of what they do.

Retro

While I agree to some extent, 343 had to have known that people would react the way they did. Even Ellis alluded to it, so they know people would talk.

When the actual magazine came out, maybe, but not to leaked scans with a shitload of info cut out mysteriously. And yeah, people are going to react badly to some information, but that doesn't mean they need to jump on the internet and tell the world about it while the iron is still hot.

I dunno, they're probably used to the fanbase flipping out by now, but it still seems like people are way too eager to assume the worst. It's just a game, after all.

Did you play the same Reach the rest of us did? That soured the Halo MP experience enough to put 343i under a microscope for what they should do with Halo 4. I think there's enough reason with the information that is currently given to be extremely cynical of what they do.

You realize of course that drawing conclusions from scans of a printed magazine with weeks-old information is putting 343i under the microscope and then trying to tell what's going on from 6 feet away, right?

TheOddOne

Bahhahah HaloGAF getting it.

18047448.jpg
18047438.jpg

When the actual magazine came out, maybe, but not to leaked scans with a shitload of info cut out mysteriously. And yeah, people are going to react badly to some information, but that doesn't mean they need to jump on the internet and tell the world about it while the iron is still hot.

I dunno, they're probably used to the fanbase flipping out by now, but it still seems like people are way too eager to assume the worst. It's just a game, after all.
I agree, but best to let people go knee-jerk react now. Later on (hopefully) they calm down.

GhaleonEB

The only things that worry me so far are:

'Forerunner vision' - seriously wat

Drop-in added to matchmaking. I hope and assume I can opt-out or avoid playlists that feature it.

Random moving weapons. Though, I want context on this. Is it for specific game types?

Other than that, I don't really follow the uproar. I'm certainly not mourning the loss of my beloved Firefight, as it sounds like it's been replaced, not removed; from an earlier summary:

• Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.
  • New Co-Op mode called Spartan Ops for up to four players in online Campaign-esque missions.
  • Spartan OPs introduces new movies sequences and missions on a weekly basis which tells the story of the UNSC Infinity's mission and battles the new Spartan IV's face.
  • Spartan Op missions are objective based and feature new content, events and locations each week. Spartan Ops missions also reward Spartan Points and feature selectable difficulty levels like Campaign.
  • Spartan Ops missions are not DLC, they are included in the overall Halo 4 package but it is unclear if the content is available on the disc or must be downloaded separately.
I have a lot of questions about this. Such as, if players unlock Spartan Ops, how will matchmaking work with them? Talk about a fractured pool. How customizable are they? My hope is we have at least Reach's Firefight level of control. They sound more hand-crafted than Firefight game types.

What I love about Firefight is the strong weapon feedback system, surviving a challenge, and playing alongside friends. It sounds like those things are embodied in Spartan Ops, while also adding the variety we've all been lamenting is missing from Reach's Firefight. As such it's officially my most anticipated element of the game, and I really want more details.

Havok

When the actual magazine came out, maybe, but not to leaked scans with a shitload of info cut out mysteriously.
Full scans are out there. There were no drastic clarifications. People are drawing conclusions from the information they put out there, and that is okay. Are people overreacting? Yeah, maybe. But that's to be expected when a list like that is dumped out with no context.

Homeboyd

iirc, the article actually specified NEW spaces in spartan ops (please tell me that name and "spartan points" is placeholder)
That's just CRAZY. I don't see how they could keep up!?

Ghal, what if FF type of games are available in customs? You know, we can set up "bots" on MP maps currently available to us and run through game settings like we can now in customs and FF customs settings.

Spartan Ops sounds great and all, but doesn't sound a lot like a survival type of FF. Especially the objective parts...

As much as I've been raging, I love Halo. And I think Spartan Ops and the campaign will be amazing, I'm just really highly concerned for the multiplayer that i've logged close to or over 20k games of.. it's nerve-wracking to see your favorite series go through such extreme changes with such little detail.

Ok, Im trying to catch up with this thread since I went to sleep before all the info hit. Just read everything, and I have to say that I am pleased. Well, mostly. Also, I wont lie, for a long article it was lacking in details and content.. I wish they would have elaborated on things more, it was awfully vague compared to past cover stories. I hope they post more detailed weapon and sandbox descriptions online.

Also, I would not be surprised if in a few months another magazine gets a true blowout of Halo 4 info including weapons, vehicles etc. This article read like it should have been released last year, but I appreciate they aren't giving away everything.

op_ivy

That's just CRAZY. I don't see how they could keep up!?

its not DLC and its included on the disc, unlocked weekly and with a CG cutscene opening it up. they say there is enough content for months. MONTHS. crazy. sounds like halo 4 will have at the very least a shit ton of content.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

The magazine scans were always going to come out the day after the cover debuted, that almost always happens. We can't talk about the story in detail, because it is GI's exclusive. I will say that some of the things that "invested, emotional" players are "raising eyebrows slightly at" are being very misinterpreted ("random" weapon spawns for example) but we will be able to clarify some of those things in due time.

Some of the other features, abilities, are also being discussed with no context (not your guys' fault, obviously) and frankly, a video of TS would probably allay many of the especially hysterical reactions, but we're not there yet.

We haven't seen a single reaction we didn't expect (apart from the Dax love story) and we will clarify a lot of this stuff 100% in the coming weeks and months. SOME of the things in here won't be properly understood outside of a holistic experience (modes, progress, fictional setting, etc) but I am going to say one thing and leave it at that:

It feels like Halo, it does NOT feel or act like the other game(s) it's being compared to. Again, without playing it, you can't be blamed for jumping to certain conclusions.

Homeboyd

its not DLC and its included on the disc, unlocked weekly and with a CG cutscene opening it up. they say there is enough content for months. MONTHS. crazy. sounds like halo 4 will have at the very least a shit ton of content.
I thought the article said they weren't sure whether it was on-disc or available through DLC? Did I read that wrong?

op_ivy

I hope 343 tells us who is in charge of Spartan Ops, in which I mean what designer is working on it.

chris haluke, according to the GI article

I thought the article said they weren't sure whether it was on-disc or available through DLC? Did I read that wrong?

specifically says not dlc, part of the experience you get when you purchase halo 4. though i suppose it could be extended latter through dlc...

TheOddOne

The magazine scans were always going to come out the day after the cover debuted, that almost always happens. We can't talk about the story in detail, because it is GI's exclusive. I will say that some of the things that "invested, emotional" players are "raising eyebrows slightly at" are being very misinterpreted ("random" weapon spawns for example) but we will be able to clarify some of those things in due time.

Some of the other features, abilities, are also being discussed with no context (not your guys' fault, obviously) and frankly, a video of TS would probably allay many of the especially hysterical reactions, but we're not there yet.

We haven't seen a single reaction we didn't expect (apart from the Dax love story) and we will clarify a lot of this stuff 100% in the coming weeks and months. SOME of the things in here won't be properly understood outside of a holistic experience (modes, progress, fictional setting, etc) but I am going to say one thing and leave it at that:

It feels like Halo, it does NOT feel or act like the other game(s) it's being compared to. Again, without playing it, you can't be blamed for jumping to certain conclusions.
Ok. STILL!

chris haluke, according to the GI article
Ohh shit, the Killzone guy? AWESOME. I must have missed that nugget.

Thanks. And the sooner you guys can release a Team Slayer match, the better.

edit: On an unrelated note, I just got my copy of Xenoblade in the mail! AWW YEAH

MrBig

And yes, Spartan Ops is as awesome as it sounds. Can't wait to share more.

Is this going to be content that is continually produced on a weekly basis (with some sort of a procedural system to ensure that content will always be possible while doing occasional full-blown creations) or is it all pre-planned and ready before release?

This is all well and good, but I think I speak for everyone when I say, how's the water graphics coming along?

Homeboyd

GI's exclusive so exclusive 343 can't touch it!

Kidding.. I get it.

Hurry up and end, exclusive. Do any GI guys/gals post at Gaf?

The only things that worry me so far are:

'Forerunner vision' - seriously wat

Drop-in added to matchmaking. I hope and assume I can opt-out or avoid playlists that feature it.

Random moving weapons. Though, I want context on this. Is it for specific game types?

Other than that, I don't really follow the uproar. I'm certainly not mourning the loss of my beloved Firefight, as it sounds like it's been replaced, not removed; from an earlier summary:

• Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.
  • New Co-Op mode called Spartan Ops for up to four players in online Campaign-esque missions.
  • Spartan OPs introduces new movies sequences and missions on a weekly basis which tells the story of the UNSC Infinity's mission and battles the new Spartan IV's face.
  • Spartan Op missions are objective based and feature new content, events and locations each week. Spartan Ops missions also reward Spartan Points and feature selectable difficulty levels like Campaign.
  • Spartan Ops missions are not DLC, they are included in the overall Halo 4 package but it is unclear if the content is available on the disc or must be downloaded separately.
I have a lot of questions about this. Such as, if players unlock Spartan Ops, how will matchmaking work with them? Talk about a fractured pool. How customizable are they? My hope is we have at least Reach's Firefight level of control. They sound more hand-crafted than Firefight game types.

What I love about Firefight is the strong weapon feedback system, surviving a challenge, and playing alongside friends. It sounds like those things are embodied in Spartan Ops, while also adding the variety we've all been lamenting is missing from Reach's Firefight. As such it's officially my most anticipated element of the game, and I really want more details.
Same here. Extremely interested to hear more on this especially. I'm sure the podcast will be too weighed down with regular multiplayer conversation to appease the overly-dramatic responses to it's changes so far, but shedding some more light on it will be nice.

I hope 343 tells us who is in charge of Spartan Ops, in which I mean what designer is working on it.
"...says lead Spartan Ops designer Chris Haluke." (edit: too slow)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

So any demo in the schedule?
I'll admit I am somewhat hyped for this mode. I'm really wondering how far they'll take it.

This is exactly why the reactions thus far are perfectly legitimate in my opinion. The changes are so radically different than what most expected, and that's after 343 got to listen in on all the frustrations of Reach since release. A fix to the Reach system was needed, but who knew Halo would turn so sharply toward CoD? The halo community just got blindsided. The game may turn out fine, but it's so hard to imagine without seeing actual footage.

EDIT: Just saw OWV's post. Look forward to hearing more.

Thank you Frank.

This is really what a lot of us needed to hear from someone we trust deeply with this franchise. I appreciate you not being defensive about this as I know if I was in your position it would be very hard not to lash out and call us all idiots for jumping to such large conclusions. I'm definitely guilty of doing this, and I look forward to the podcast, and the summer of information which will hopefully bring a lot of people (myself included) back to the hyped up excited level I was on Thursday.

Top Bottom