• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter: World will have a nice meaty story (+ other details)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Sillyness is one thing, but that's too far lol.

Which is why it caught me off guard because up to this point the only thing I expected was witty dialogue and the Funky Felyne as far as silliness goes.

That was
surprisingly great
It was weird in a pleasant way

I would kind of love a bat shit left field credits sequence with bright colors after setting a more serious tone and style that MHW has presented so far.

I wouldn't mind it as an alternative ending you can unlock through some weird/silly means (Example: You're Felyne Companion getting the killing now in the story's final boss Monster instead of you or something silly like that) but not as the straight up ending to the game the way Monster Hunter Generations did with Let's Nyance ending song.

Peru

MH4 had lots of talk of bigger emphasis on story -and while I enjoyed travelling around from community to community, the MH3 story -- though simple, made a bigger impact. I think it's less about amount of cut scenes and more about execution and atmosphere. The sea side town in MH3 had a unique backstory and the narrative an emotional climax. Atmosphere, environment is very important. And of course charming, witty dialogue.

Vena

Being a lot heavier in itself doesnt necessarily decide that, its the momentum/strenght in the legs that matters the most. Same thing that one person can pull a jumbo jet, which can weigh way more than 1000 times of the person. Question is if those ~10 small creatures can generate enough strength to hold back the momentum generated from the legs of the bigger monster :)

Its game logic anyway. Same with taking down the monsters, no way that a real moster/creature could take that many hits like we see in Monster Hunter.

Jet would be on wheels, and look at the legs on that thing. It has massive legs strength, no amount of cats can hold that down with out stakes in the ground all over.

This akin to a group of children trying to stop a bull Elephant with ropes tied to it's waist and legs separately. You're going for a ride.

It just looks really dumb.

Fistwell

I do not believe for a second that it will be "nice," or interesting, or anything of value. I wish the story was the opposite of "meaty," I wish it was non-existent. (What kind of deviant plays MH for the story...) Monster hunter is about hunting monsters. The game is called monster hunter. It's not called: "Shitty Story Teller" with shitty memes the translation team thought were hilarious. Anyone that's payed attention to any previous MH game already knows: the story is gonna fucking suck.

Edit: For the record, I'm fine with fat dancing cat. I like fat dancing cat. I don't think fat dancing cat is the meat in "meaty story" though.

Ridley327

Jet would be on wheels, and look at the legs on that thing. It has massive legs strength, no amount of cats can hold that down with out stakes in the ground all over.

This akin to a group of children trying to stop a bull Elephant with ropes tied to it's waist and legs separately. You're going for a ride.

It just looks really dumb.

99% of the stuff you do in MH looks dumb, but that's why we love it so.

Vena

99% of the stuff you do in MH looks dumb, but that's why we love it so.

This is just next level stupid, and I play this with CBs and swinging around magic glowing axes while riding electric tigers.

It's a clash of silly and the graphics. On the old systems everything looked like LEGOs anyway.

Kyoufu

This is just next level stupid, and I play this with CBs and swinging around magic glowing axes while riding electric tigers.

It's a clash of silly and the graphics. On the old systems everything looked like LEGOs anyway.

I don't get your point.

That MH game you desperately want to be localised contains playable cats who are strong enough to defeat the most powerful monsters in the game.

How dare a group of cats tie down a monster!

Maxinas

I don't get your point.

That MH game you desperately want to be localised contains playable cats who are strong enough to defeat the most powerful monsters in the game.

They aren't cats they are PALICOES you uncultured swine!

Mathieran

Banned
Sounds good to me. I don't need a great story, just something to give me purpose. I fizzled out on MH3 after the story ended. Even the flimsiest excuse will work for me.

Vena

I don't get your point.

Because a group of fantasy cats killing something with weapons (dextrous, language enabled cats with, seemingly, opposable thumbs) is very different from something that just looks dumb to me. A few spikes in the ground would have gone a long way, but as I said, this is like children holding down a bull elephant.

Why is that hard to grasp?

Speculation is 5 based on tapestry art that they released a few months back.

That seems limited, is there "smaller" area to accompany this?

Ryuuga

Banned
The mystical thousand-year slab of meat has been stolen from the village, are you a bad enough dude to recover it?

Thoraxes

I have little faith that they could do anything good with that given their track record. Wouldn't expect much than the surface level stuff we've seen, so hopefully it's skippable.

If you're looking forward to the demo, I am confident you will not buy the game. MH demos have always been terrible.

They'd be better off doing a full-on, Nioh-style beta where you get an assortment of quests from the main game with actual progression.

The demos just never convey the true experience, for better and for worse.

Ravelle

I don't really a story per se but a well structured solo campaign I can plow through while i'm offline like MHU is welcome, Generation's weird structure confused the hell out of me.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I was hoping they wouldn't have a story at all this time. I hate these games that have awesome gameplay and horrible stories thinking we want more story. No. I don't want story in my MH, Darks souls, blood borne, etc. no thanks.

Because a group of fantasy cats killing something with weapons (dextrous, language enabled cats with, seemingly, opposable thumbs) is very different from something that just looks dumb to me. A few spikes in the ground would have gone a long way, but as I said, this is like children holding down a bull elephant.

That seems limited, is there "smaller" area to accompany this?
So cats that can swing weapons bigger and heavier than them, speak human language, and cook food are fine.

But tying up a monster is just a step too far.

Gotcha.
More useless text windows.

Because people play MH for the story.

Great.
You must've hated 4U and Generations.

Vena

So cats that can swing weapons bigger and heavier than them, speak human language, and cook food are fine.

But tying up a monster is just a step too far.

Gotcha.

Yes. Anthropomorphized cats within an established fantasy setting is one thing, that's established, but just outright defying common momentum is, for me, just dumb to see. Like I said, its an issue of "missing that little detail". A few spikes holding the net would have made it perfectly fine, but without that detail it just looks dumb in a way that I cannot suspend because "fantasy".

I made a similar point on a previous gif where the engine doesn't seem to support real "traction" with the way that the hunter moves making it look like he's gliding on a separate plane from the ground, these are the sorts of details I notice and they just stick out to me as dumb. (Or the gif where the hunter is on the turkey-dinosaur's back, and his body appears glued (and he's prone so he certainly isn't holding on) to the dinosaur when the dino reels. It just looks weird to me.)

silva1991

It' hard, because it can't be grasped. Few kittens holding one dino doesn't look more stupid or sillier than few kittens killing a dino with weapons as big or bigger than them lol.

Vena

It' hard, because it can't be grasped. Few kittens holding one dino doesn't look more stupid or sillier than few kittens killing a dino with weapons as big or bigger than them lol.

What? You can kill stuff as big or bigger than you with weapons... that's like the whole point of weapons.

Mupod

so now we finally have compelling textures, but without realistic cat physics how can we possibly take this game seriously? Blunder of the century, capcpom.

Vena

so now we finally have compelling textures, but without realistic cat physics how can we possibly take this game seriously? Blunder of the century, capcpom.

Yes, yes, why voice opinions when stupid strawmen are all you will ever earn in return.

Blueblur1

Is there a post or OP somewhere that has a list of all the recent details and videos? I'd like to engross myself in some MHW info.

danthefan

I think I tried a Monster Hunter back on the Wii or something and pretty much bounced off it but everything I hear about this game is making me more and more interested.

Jawmuncher

I'll believe the story comment when I see it. They probably consider monster hunter 3 on the WiiU a meaty story and everything after.

Vena

It'll be meatier than that. Full voice acting and cutscenes etc.

4/4U and X had cutscenes (pretty substantial ones around the big "bads"), btw. Just no non-gibberish VAing.

To be frank, it's a pretty silly opinion. By all means, continue elucidating, but it isn't going to stop people from mocking it for being puerile.

It was just a minor note that I thought a gif looked dumb. People can be as reflexive as they wish.

Orayn

I'll believe the story comment when I see it. They probably consider monster hunter 3 on the WiiU a meaty story and everything after.

I'd say the new baseline is MH4U. Still mostly a bunch of text boxes, but they did a good job of taking you on a world tour and contextualizing some of the bigger detpiece hunts. If they can do a little better than that, I think people will be pretty happy with it.

Even a "story heavy" MH is very gameplay-centric. Story is just a bit of garnish.

The Palico being able to ride on a smaller monster is a awesome thing. Stories really rubbed this itch I had with the series where its like "you know what, why can't I "tame" a smaller monster or something and have it fight with me/use it as a battle mount against bigger monsters.

4/4U and X had cutscenes (pretty substantial ones around the big "bads"), btw. Just no non-gibberish VAing.

Oh I know, I quite liked them too. Most of the those cutscenes were quite short of text box heavy. But I believe that these will be a lot more substantial, like the opening movies the franchise does so well, except in-game. Looking forward to seeing how they pan out.

Vena

Oh I know, I quite liked them too. But I believe that these will be a lot more substantial. Looking forward to seeing what they do.

The big scenes were pretty much full cutscenes as you'd expect them in any modern game, from pretty much every Gore Magalla scene in 4U (the final scene is a full setpiece moment, aside from fidelity on the 3DS there's not really much you can add to it) to the various big-bad intros/arena showdowns in X. So there's not really much verticality in terms of scope or scale here, some of the scenes in X were really long too.

They were just on a 3DS screen.

Though you could certainly make many of them longer and in effect meatier.

Focusing on the story is a good idea for the team as long as it doesn't too drastically upset the basic quest structure. There's basically no downside as long as the story isn't trash (and there's a really big difference between "simple" and "trash").

This isn't really too out-of-the-blue either. Tri worked hard to put more context behind the hunts so that it felt like you were working towards something rather than just marking missions off a list, then 4 came along with a more involved story and significantly more cutscenes. World telling a better story than 4 would just be following the trend of each main game being a step forward from the last in that regard.

Hopefully the plot isn't anything super complicated. I'd rather see them focus on improving their presentation than trying to create a more complex narrative... thankfully World has been delivering in that regard (so far).

Kyoufu

I hated having to skip all those useless text windows. Yes.

As long as there's a fast forward button I'm fine.

The bigger story here is Capcom adding more useless stuff to MHW in order to appeal to a bigger audience in the west.

Because only the west enjoy a story.

Kinsei

Banned
The second area is usually the best. The first area is too boring, the third area and up often become convoluted.

The second areas tend to be deserts and jungles and there is only one good version of each (The Sandy Plains and the MH2 Jungle). In Gen 4 Sunken Hollow is fine but Ancestral Steppe is better IMO.

TreIII

For what little silly stories MH games get, the little we know about the lore of the MH world is actually really interesting!

This.

Just start putting this shit in the games, to go along with all the nifty-peachy descriptions for the weapons and armor. Even if the story is (still) nothing to write home about, the lore would surely be enough to stir up imaginations.

Top Bottom