• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Things/events in Games so Rare/Poorly Documented that Nobody Else Knows they Exist

protonion

When I was a kid I left Super Mario World loop the title screen for a long time.
At one point the sequence played totally wrong.
It was like Mario went out of sync. He jumped earlier and messed the whole sequence. He died in the end. Some memory glitch maybe? Or intentional? I will test it on the snes mini.

I searched later and saw that there are hacks that let you play in the title screen but nothing about that random glitch.

ASaiyan

Banned
That's got to be older than that. I was using that back on the Wii VC release.
Not to shit on anyone's parade, but we were using this trick as kids when the game was actually out in the 80's.

Not sure where the 30 years came from
Yep, it was in one of the official player's guides or atlas.

If you want some quick documentation of age of this trick here at least is a GFAQs guide not updated since 1999 that mentions it.
Okay, maybe I just didn't know about it until 2015, lol. Though I do know of at least some others who were shocked when I first told them about it.

Omg. Two decades I've been playing this game and I never ever knew that.

If you find this little fella on Dark Souls 1, one poor player lost a insane amount of souls there.

maxresdefault.jpg

Glowsquid

It's minor, but Star Fox Assault has a secret enemy wave in the first level: If you destroy all of the yellow frigates AND destroy all of the funnels of the mech mid-boss, Krystal will say something different and a lot of additional enemies will spawn during the 2nd row of yellow frigates. I've seen any video (even otherwise impressive high score runs) trigger it until I posted a video about it on yotuube.

jackal27

Banned
The bomb arrows in Link's Awakening. Equip the bow and bombs and press A+B to fire a bomb arrow. As far as I know it is never mentioned ingame or in the manual. It might be said during one of the telephone conversations, but I never listened to them all.
This is the one for me. I remember when I found this I freaked out and now bomb arrows are a pretty common Zelda item!

Dr. Worm

Banned
This was only discovered a few years ago that in the original Pokemon games:

Fire-types being immune to Burn and Ice-types being immune to Freeze is at least somewhat common knowledge, but the implementation is such that any major status as secondary effect fails when it's used on a Pokemon of the same type as move - notably, Body Slam can't paralyze Normal-types, nor can Thunderbolt paralyze Electric-types.

sharc

Neo Member
it's not poorly documented, but it is extremely weird and obscure enough that you'd likely never find out unless someone told you: in koudelka, there's several items that can only be obtained if you load a save both with a certain number of items in inventory, and that was made at specific points on the in-game timer such as one hour one minute and eleven seconds.

sn00zer

I am fairly confident i was one of the first people to find this. It was not mentioned in wikis for a long while.

Woah after a half a year of waiting to get approved I can finally post this
Both the Soul Calibur series and Tekken series are in the same universe, although tekken takes place hundreds of years in the future, besides the obvious (Yoshimitsu) there is an awesome easter egg in Tekken 5

Tekken 5:
Pirate%27s_Cove

Soul Calibur 2:
ps2_soul_calibur_185_med.jpg
ps2_soul_calibur_139_med.jpg

the "Pirate's Cove" stage is the same stage found in Soul Calibur 2, but after a hundred or so years of plundering

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Okay, maybe I just didn't know about it until 2015, lol. Though I do know of at least some others who were shocked when I first told them about it.

Omg. Two decades I've been playing this game and I never ever knew that.
Yep. I knew about it and figured most people did, but it's not in the manual nor any of the guides. All you need to do is fight Gary in the rematch without picking up a pokeball and then go back to Oak.

ReyVGM

Hardly anyone knows (or knew?) how the percentage system works in the SNES Star Fox.

There was a post on Gamefaqs of a guy that claimed only enemies that shot at you counted towards the percentage. So I decided to take a look and with an emulator's RAM search option, I could see the counter value increasing in real time each time I killed an enemy that counted towards the percentage. This is the address that controls how many enemies you've defeated in a stage: 7E14DB

Only the small enemies that attack increased the counter. The big robots carrying stuff, or the pillars/buildings, and even the boss, do not increase the counter. In the first stage, you don't have to defeat all the enemies to get 100%, you just have to defeat a certain amount. In this first stage, 21 enemies give you 95%, 22 enemies give you 99%, and over 23 gives you 100%.

So basically, it works exactly like in Star Fox 64, except in Star Fox there's no visible counter and you just get a percentage (100%) if you defeat the necessary amount of enemies; and in Star Fox 64, there is a visible counter and you get a medal for meeting the requirements.

Regiruler

Hardly anyone knows (or knew?) how the percentage system works in the SNES Star Fox.

There was a post on Gamefaqs of a guy that claimed only enemies that shot at you counted towards the percentage. So I decided to take a look and with an emulator's RAM search option, I could see the counter value increasing in real time each time I killed an enemy that counted towards the percentage. This is the address that controls how many enemies you've defeated in a stage: 7E14DB

Only the small enemies that attack increased the counter. The big robots carrying stuff, or the pillars/buildings, and even the boss, do not increase the counter. In the first stage, you don't have to defeat all the enemies to get 100%, you just have to defeat a certain amount. In this first stage, 21 enemies give you 95%, 22 enemies give you 99%, and over 23 gives you 100%.

So basically, it works exactly like in Star Fox 64, except in Star Fox there's no visible counter and you just get a percentage (100%) if you defeat the necessary amount of enemies; and in Star Fox 64, there is a visible counter and you get a medal for meeting the requirements.

I'm pretty sure someone could just ask Dylan on twitter.

WarRock

It was discovered already, but to kind of piggyback off of Mama Robotnik's discovery, Breath of Fire 2 has an alternate way of getting a secret character used for powering up your party way earlier than normal and other secret treasures that involves standing on a goddamn switch tile for literally 10 minutes. And you lose access to the tiles if you finish the dungeon.

Breath of Fire 2 was released in 1994.

This secret wasn't discovered until at least 2012. It only started to get documented years later and even then, people who play the game still don't know about it.

what the fuck

There is loads of ways to jump out of the cities in tes oblivion that I found when I was young. I have never seen any of them mentioned online.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
There's an infinite gold glitch in Morrowind for the XBox that I've never once seen documented anywhere. I discovered it completely by accident back in 2002/2003. It involves getting an obscenely high bounty (the way I'd get it is by going to Ghostgate and stealing a set of glass armor), then going to the Thieve's Guild, dropping all your gold (or all but 1 of your gold? It's been a while), and talking to the guy there to get your bounty taken care of. Instead of saying "X gold has been removed from your inventory", it'll just say "gold has been removed from your inventory". After that, you'll have a stack of 20-some thousand gold in your inventory that you can drop infinitely and pick back up, essentially giving you unlimited gold.

Like I said, I've never seen this documented anywhere on the internet. However, Bethesda clearly knew about it since it was fixed in the GOTY edition that came out later.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Not too rare but in wild arms 1 there is a book called the necronomicon that is a super rare drop in one section of the game from one enemy type. It's completely over powered as I recall, and you get it pretty early.

I've only ever seen one of it in 3 playthrough and none of my friends have ever seen it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It was discovered already, but to kind of piggyback off of Mama Robotnik's discovery, Breath of Fire 2 has an alternate way of getting a secret character used for powering up your party way earlier than normal and other secret treasures that involves standing on a goddamn switch tile for literally 10 minutes. And you lose access to the tiles if you finish the dungeon.

Breath of Fire 2 was released in 1994.

This secret wasn't discovered until at least 2012. It only started to get documented years later and even then, people who play the game still don't know about it.

Never heard of this one, can you elaborate?

ViciousDS

Banned
Bioshock infinite

I wasn't the only one who did this btw

It took until almost the very end of the game you could sort of combine the powers to do things like the flaming crows and what not. I had no clue you could basically merge powers at all until I did it on accident near the end

In Final Fantasy XIV, there was an event quest in 2014 or 2015 (don't remember) that granted the title "Golemancer" for your character.

If you used that title, you could interact with your "toy" minions as if they were alive (they come to eat from your hand, they move by themsleves if you're not walking, etc).
This effect was removed later, but then was granted to the title "Mammeteer", that can be won just by having 30 puppet type minions, so now can be achieved by everyone who plays, not only by those who did that event years ago.

This last thing has been known for some time, but the fact that it was already available much sooner (with the event title) was generally unknown by most people.

Pressing Start as a move connects in the SNES version of Saturday Night Slam Masters allows your attacks to do more damage. I discovered this back in '94 and submitted it to EGM to no avail.

I feel like I read somewhere that there are things in Arkham City that haven't been discovered but I don't know if that's true anymore or if it ever was.

GoldStarz

I feel like I read somewhere that there are things in Arkham City that haven't been discovered but I don't know if that's true anymore or if it ever was.
I remember a couple of months after release, people realized you could hear Scarecrow sending messages over the sound channel

PantsuJo

There's an infinite gold glitch in Morrowind for the XBox that I've never once seen documented anywhere. I discovered it completely by accident back in 2002/2003. It involves getting an obscenely high bounty (the way I'd get it is by going to Ghostgate and stealing a set of glass armor), then going to the Thieve's Guild, dropping all your gold (or all but 1 of your gold? It's been a while), and talking to the guy there to get your bounty taken care of. Instead of saying "X gold has been removed from your inventory", it'll just say "gold has been removed from your inventory". After that, you'll have a stack of 20-some thousand gold in your inventory that you can drop infinitely and pick back up, essentially giving you unlimited gold.

Like I said, I've never seen this documented anywhere on the internet. However, Bethesda clearly knew about about since it was fixed in the GOTY edition that came out later.
Cool!!

Jofamo

Here's one for Metroid fans;

Metroid Fusion's "controversial" new suit isn't just some random abomination.

latest

It's a directly inspired by the design of the Chozo themselves, including the patches of muscle and the fins on the arms;

ChozoWarrior.png

As you can see, Samus' iconic Chozo armour is inspired by the Chozo armour of old, while her stripped back Fusion look is inspired by the Chozo themselves.

Oozer3993

It's possible to glitch out of the prologue of James Bond 007: Nightfire and drive under the Eiffel Tower. I forget how I did it.

There's test data for the aborted Moana playset in the files for Disney Infinity 3.0 Gold Edition, including a fully modeled Maui. Grandma Tala would have given you missions and Chief Tui would have been in the game in some capacity. Also, I'm not sure how far the developers got with Moana herself. Mulan is used as a stand-in in the code left in the game.

Oh, and it appears that all the information for the Marvel Battlegrounds playset is included with the Gold Edition, there's just no way to access it.

I remember a couple of months after release, people realized you could hear Scarecrow sending messages over the sound channel
There was a flickering light in the old GCPD building that was Morse code for a message. People think it had to do with the robots piled up during protocol 10 (which were then used by Harley Quinn).

Even though Knight came out, I'm still curious if there was anything undiscovered in those games.

MechaX

Never heard of this one, can you elaborate?

This was the first YT video on it.

I made a mistake; you only have to stand on the switch for about 3 minutes (not 10, but it is still something that is ridiculously missable). You get two items that most people, including the Prima guide at the time, didn't even know existed, access to the Holy Shaman several hours earlier than normal (and can also complete Nina's or Jean's shaman transformations earlier than normal), and can apparently fight two mini bosses that I didn't even know about before watching this.

There's that ultra rare ennemy in the Chalice Dungeons in Bloodborne! If I remember correctly, he wasnn't documented in the guides, but someone discovered it and posted the dungeon code online, so anybody can go pay him a visit!

Very strange mob, too. The head of the creature can travel trough his body depending where you're attacking him!

Gregtis

On Worms for Xbox Live Arcade, if you put a certain number of mines on one spot (we did about 50 I think) and then fly a worm onto them, when they all explode at once the worm launches so far that it freezes the game.

Got a pretty good laugh out of that at the time.

In Mother 1 on Famicom, opening and closing the menu with each step you take seems to completely eliminate random encounters.
Pre-determined encounters will still initiate, but by avoiding those tiles and continually pausing/unpausing as you walk, you can effectively go anywhere within your means and grab loot/progress the plot without fear of wiping on higher leveled enemies (or really, encountering them at all.)

Combined with an out-of-bounds glitch involving the abuse of the breadcrumbs item, this pause trick can let you do some wacky stuff (learning teleport almost immediately, recruiting party members early, skipping p much the whole game without relying on RNG manipulation, etc.)

I somehow figured this out when dabbling with speedrunning the game. I've only tested this on the original Famicom cart and on ROM translations pre-Earthbound Beginnings (so dumps like Earthbound Zero.) Never seen it documented, and it's likely just a glitch/weird exploit.

aaaaaa

A lot of Gameboy games, if played on an original model Gameboy, can be glitched up if you jam on all the buttons. I think it overloads the processor. I first saw this as a "secret" in Nintendo Power that let you walk through walls in a certain game. Later I figured out some tricks in other games, but I can't remember them now.

Castlevania 1 has a single 1-up in the first quest that requires you to push against a certain wall for a few seconds. I found it in a youtube video (so it doesn't count) but I added it to a fan wiki myself.

PBfqEWm.png

aaaaaa

Zork Grand Inquisitor has a joke ending if you lose the easy "strip RPS" game. You're wearing a ridiculous amount of clothing, so you actually need to use a magic spell to see what the other player will do, and intentionally play the losing moves. I found it shortly after the game first came out. I see there's a youtube video of it now: https://youtu.be/dI5K5PuVvUM?t=11m36s

Smasher89

Playstation All stars have their own "black hole glitch"

Have 2 sackboys on opposing teams, one use the cake move, the other reflects it with a fan, repeat.

Regiruler

A lot of Gameboy games, if played on an original model Gameboy, can be glitched up if you jam on all the buttons. I think it overloads the processor. I first saw this as a "secret" in Nintendo Power that let you walk through walls in a certain game. Later I figured out some tricks in other games, but I can't remember them now.

Castlevania 1 has a single 1-up in the first quest that requires you to push against a certain wall for a few seconds. I found it in a youtube video (so it doesn't count) but I added it to a fan wiki myself.

PBfqEWm.png

I found a few hidden point bonuses, but a 1 up? Jesus.

Mike M

Nick N
Wasn't there some GBA or DS game that had some weird thing where you could wind up in some sort of House of Leaves-style endless empty building that had messages related to some cult or something? Not talking about that faux PS1 creepypasta game from a few months back, this was a released title.

MAtgS

There are a few boss fights in Kingdom Hearts 1 that could be run away from like the 1st Clayton phase (as noted by the barrier appearing in the cutscene between phases) and Captain Hook. This means in the vanilla version with unskippable cutscenes, players didn't actually had to rewatch the infamous "not Clayton" line repeatedly by running from the fight after that line and creating a checkpoint.

I'm the only one who has seemed to talk about this but in Lego Jurassic World, pre-patch, you could escape the Triceratops area on the first map as a dino. When I first did it, I just thought it was how the game worked, and went back to 100% the entire game and installed the patch(es?) but when I went to mess around again, I couldn't escape. I chalked it up as my memory messing with me and confusing it with a mission or being a raptor.

Within the last couple months, my curiosity got the better of me so I deleted everything (saves and patches) and replayed the first film and did as many objectives as I needed to unlock the ability to play as a t-Rex and YES, I could escape once again.

Dumb fun and serves no real purpose but it's great for messing around in co-op having an entire island as a playground and not just an enclosure.

The bomb arrows in Link's Awakening. Equip the bow and bombs and press A+B to fire a bomb arrow. As far as I know it is never mentioned ingame or in the manual. It might be said during one of the telephone conversations, but I never listened to them all.
How the hell have I beaten LA 3 times and never knew that there was bomb arrows. That's so cool!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
There are a few boss fights in Kingdom Hearts 1 that could be run away from like the 1st Clayton phase (as noted by the barrier appearing in the cutscene between phases) and Captain Hook. This means in the vanilla version with unskippable cutscenes, players didn't actually had to rewatch the infamous "not Clayton" line repeatedly by running from the fight after that line and creating a checkpoint.

Are you fucking kidding

Not sure if this counts but after the first Uncharted's release, everyone complained about the upstream jetski section and having to stop and aim but I was the first person (at least on Gaf, not sure if anyone else mentioned it outside of here) to discover and point out that you can simply ride and shoot which trivializes the section (except on crushing of course) and makes it faster and more fun.

Top Bottom