• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Soule

Ughhhh getting a message that my name is bad and can't join any servers. Fun, haven't been able to play for the last couple of days because the game hates me.

Petrie

Banned
Just realized after waiting for a Steam sale that I actually have this game from a free GreenManGaming promotion awhile back. Does this mod work with that version?

The M.O.B

Just realized after waiting for a Steam sale that I actually have this game from a free GreenManGaming promotion awhile back. Does this mod work with that version?

You need ArmaII(Free or Paid) and ArmaII: Operation Arrowhead or the combined pack called Combined Operations.

Me and roommate are trying to figure out if this game could cause latency or internet issues for others in the household when being played.

Anyone have any idea?

ZenVolta

Dude. Your son was murdered. And he once cost you your life. These are stories that need to be told. In depth.

edit: top of the page, so quote this for mumble info!

Oh damn. So the version I have won't work?

Guess I wait till the end of the Steam sale to see if comes down at all!

Do you have Arma 2 OA or just Arma 2? Cuz if you have Arma 2 OA you could just get the Free version of Arma 2 and play that till it comes down or something. Wont look the best but its not that bad

Soi-Fong

Hmm... Wondering if this will get a sale at all.. 20 bucks is still kinda hard to justify, but then I've heard a lot of good things about DayZ but just not sure if it'll be my cup of tea.

Slair

I have the same version from gmg that came free with some newspaper promotion. I bought operation arrowhead from gmg and i've heard you can get OA from steam and it'd work, not 100% sure though.

Pyronite

Hmm... Wondering if this will get a sale at all.. 20 bucks is still kinda hard to justify, but then I've heard a lot of good things about DayZ but just not sure if it'll be my cup of tea.

I must be a rich bastard, because $20 seems easy to justify for a small company and an ambitious game.

Petrie

Banned
I must be a rich bastard, because $20 seems easy to justify for a small company and an ambitious game.

$20 to the mod creator, sure.

$20 to Arma 2 during the Steam sale when there's so much more value to be had for that $20, and I know the game has been MUCH cheaper before, that's much harder to swallow.

Flunkie

Banned
Why am I getting "you were kicked" messages when trying to join the GAF server? What did I do wrong?

Edit: Okay, every server. Um, what?

Edit 2: Restarted the computer and didn't get it again. Weird! (For anyone wondering, yes I have a legit version of the game, if that's a fishy message or something.)

Pyronite

$20 to the mod creator, sure.

$20 to Arma 2 during the Steam sale when there's so much more value to be had for that $20, and I know the game has been MUCH cheaper before, that's much harder to swallow.

$20 is $20 - a few meals, a few here and there things, for a product you'll have forever and continues to be updated.

And DayZ is inseparable from ArmA. I understand your sentiment, but DayZ wouldn't be where it is today if gamers held off.

Finally took the plunge into Dayz.

First attempt: Aggroed zombie minutes of spawning, ran into the ocean, and bled to death.

Second attempt, lived for 5 hours. Found a crossbow, some M1A11, and a tent. Met my first fellow survivors. The first was a fresh spawn with no weapons, I gave him my hatchet and went on my merry way. Met two other survivors, who promptly shot me in the head and took my stuff.

Third attempt tonight. Does GAF play on a specific server?

The M.O.B

Finally took the plunge into Dayz.

First attempt: Aggroed zombie minutes of spawning, ran into the ocean, and bled to death.

Second attempt, lived for 5 hours. Found a crossbow, some M1A11, and a tent. Met my first fellow survivors. The first was a fresh spawn with no weapons, I gave him my hatchet and went on my merry way. Met two other survivors, who promptly shot me in the head and took my stuff.

Third attempt tonight. Does GAF play on a specific server?

We own a server, US38 Hosted by NeoGAF

This doesn't deal with DayZ directly, but since this is probably the best place to troubleshoot ArmA proper, I'll give it a shot. It seems when I update the game to play DayZ, is deletes alot of the weapons, people, and vehicles from the single player side of the game. Lot's of items missing from the mission editor, and the campaign mission not loading properly. When I delete everything and re install, the problem goes away, till I try to update the game again the play DayZ. It's either the installation of ArmA 1.6 or the beta patch that seems to do it. Anyone else run into similar problems?

Petrie

Banned
$20 is $20 - a few meals, a few here and there things, for a product you'll have forever and continues to be updated.

And DayZ is inseparable from ArmA. I understand your sentiment, but DayZ wouldn't be where it is today if gamers held off.

Yeah. I'm just certain it'd be nothing but a short curiosity for me, and ARMA 2 interests me zero.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
$20 isn't much money, sure. But you'd be stupid to buy it now and not wait for the Steam sale to end. There's definitely a chance it'll go on sale by the end of this.

Flunkie

Banned
Took my forever to actually find my first weapon. I think spawn 6 it was for me. After countless spawns of plenty of soda and hatchets, I found a Lee Enfield in a barn, then immediately came across my first dead body. Picked up a Czech backpack and a Makarov and a whole lot of other goodies that I was needing (food, soda). He had a shotgun in the backpack and a Lee Enfield on him, and plenty of ammo for each. Then I proceeded to get trigger happy with a pack of zombies and burnt all of my shotgun ammo. Oh well, loving my first day with DayZ so far.

Atomski

I keep hoping it will go one sale.. so my cheap ass friends will buy it :/.

gutabo

Hey guys finally made some friends start playing dayz, mind if I create a spanish group in gaf mumble?

EDIT: Now using "side party 3" :p the wife is going to kill me :(

goonergaz

Yeah. I'm just certain it'd be nothing but a short curiosity for me, and ARMA 2 interests me zero.

there are more mods too tho - my son plays urban life (or something like that) - seems quite addictive too...he tends to play Day-z and this in weekly(ish) turns...seemingly unable to stop playing whichever he's currently on

ZenVolta

Good to see others on Gaf getting into DayZ.

And to everyone still on the fence. 20 bucks may seem like a lot but when the servers are down or we cant seem to get into a good server. Me and my friends load up Arma 2 and just mess around.

I suppose, unless you're cool giving an extra $10 to support the developers.

I'd like to think the extra $10 puts Bohemia in a better position to offer Rocket the deal that'll allow him the ability to make the game standalone under a company that understands the vision for the game and have supported him from the beginning.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I don't think I'll play touch the game again until they add some goals. Right now the main goal is to survive. I can survive in the woods easily. Why should I go to Elektrozavodsk and other cities?

cametall

I keep hoping it will go one sale.. so my cheap ass friends will buy it :/.

Same man. I'd gladly drop the money at its current price point, but my cheap ass friends won't... they need to save that money for LoL skins.......... I just don't know if I'd enjoy it solo.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Same man. I'd gladly drop the money at its current price point, but my cheap ass friends won't... they need to save that money for LoL skins.......... I just don't know if I'd enjoy it solo.

I enjoy it solo much more than with friends. I don't have to run anywhere for half an hour to meet up and I have to scavenge supplies because nobody will give them to me.

Dang lag. I think a backpack I put in my tent lagged out (there was room, it went in, its when I returned it was gone, but everything else remained untouched - whilst some stuff had been taken out another back pack that I'd put in it - basically it didn't save up to there).

Elektro was tense today. A bandit had littered the place with bodies; but I got him in the end.
He had a camping tent - woot. I bag it and prepare to move on; log off for dinner.

Log back in and continue on my way - tent is gone :(
As is an AKM I'd picked up. Some of the stuff was there, but not all.

Also the church in Elektro has collapsed like a bomb hit it - is that normal?

elseanio

Will changing my appearance from the main menu reset my character progression? I had that 'bad player name' bug and needed to update my profile, and now I'm a zombie with Elton John type glasses :/

Woo-Fu

Banned
Also the church in Elektro has collapsed like a bomb hit it - is that normal?

I believe any building you can enter can also be destroyed if you have enough damage. The AS50 is good for this, as are grenades. There are videos on youtube if you want to see it.

I know very little about this game, but when I read stuff like that, and the other stories I've been hearing, it all sounds amazing. The entire premise of it, hardcore zombie survival as a game, sounds amazing. But I've been around long enough to know that the reality of it will be an alpha mod built on a Bohemia game that is full of bugs, quirks and maddening connection issues.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

Slair

I know very little about this game, but when I read stuff like that, and the other stories I've been hearing, it all sounds amazing. The entire premise of it, hardcore zombie survival as a game, sounds amazing. But I've been around long enough to know that the reality of it will be an alpha mod built on a Bohemia game that is full of bugs, quirks and maddening connection issues.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong.

You're right in a sense. The reality of it is those stories, those happen and when they do it's unlike anything else out there. The mod comes with a side order of jank, but thats so easy to forget about when you're in the middle of one of those stories,
sometimes the jank even adds to them.

owlbeak

So I just started playing this after a two month hiatus.

What did they do to the zombies? I like not having a pistol to start off with. That's all well and good, except now it seems the zombies can see you from a mile away. How am I supposed to sneak into town to scavange for supplies when they spot me when I'm crawling from seriously ~200 yards away and just charge right at me?

Happened three or four times last night and was pretty annoying. You used to be able to sneak within 10-20 feet of them as long as your were prone or, at night, crouch-walking slowly.

TCKaos

I couldn't figure out who they were (I think one of them was named Ace?) but there was a group ghosting around Starry that ended up killing me. I was in the bushes to the east and made sure to conceal myself. There was no way they could have seen me.

I had already checked the warehouse, and a nice fellow named Ace had already plummeted off of a railing to his death. I rolled to the NE corner of Starry to check to see if there were any players and I could see two sprinting out from the forest in to the western side of the camp. They both had pistols, one might have had a Winchester but I couldn't tell. I'm fairly certain there were more of them judging from the different kinds of gunfire I had heard earlier.

To troll them I lobbed a grenade to that corner of the camp and got at least one to D/C though I didn't kill him. I spot the same two I spotted earlier crawling on my side of the tents and took potshots at them with my Silenced MP5. I'm pretty sure I hit one, but I couldn't tell completely because there was some grass in the way.

I rolled behind a bush and switched to my M14 to finish the job, but they had completely disappeared from where I had seen them. I scan the tents, but nothing. I didn't move from my new position because I was concealed so well that they couldn't get me from where I figured their position was. I would have seen them if they were running, so they either crawled backwards (in which case they couldn't have seen me) or they had ghosted to where they thought my position was. I contemplate D/Cing and resuming later because I figured that if I can't see them anywhere, that means they had to be ghosting...

Cue a single pistol round to the forehead, instant death. From like 100m out (if they were where they should have been).

Goodbye, Silenced MP5 (+4 mags), M14 (+6 mags), camo clothes, coyote backpack full of food and drinks, antibiotics and my glorious near-complete toolbelt.

What did they do to the zombies? I like not having a pistol to start off with. That's all well and good, except now it seems the zombies can see you from a mile away. How am I supposed to sneak into town to scavange for supplies when they spot me when I'm crawling from seriously ~200 yards away and just charge right at me?

Happened three or four times last night and was pretty annoying. You used to be able to sneak within 10-20 feet of them as long as your were prone or, at night, crouch-walking slowly.

Run through a building and you're rid of them.

At night it should be absolutely fine. I can get right up to them crouch walking.

In the day though theres a new addition, basically the game has a 'probability' of you being randomly seen. Its really not beneficial to sneak now; as no matter how careful you are, a random zombie might chase you and hit you when you don't expect it. I mostly run everywhere now.

Am hoping they remove it from the game; or replace it with Zombies moving towards you - not chasing, just changing direction - adding some difficulty.

Atm its a bit game breaking, but it is alpha and it is a recent addition.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The problem with the Ars story is that somebody would have to be dumb to spend two days getting a blood tranfusion when he could have spent 20 minutes hunting a cow instead.

cameltoe

This does not happen to me at all....I have been lying within 10-20 feet of a zombie and they walk right on by. I crawl into towns loaded with them without alerting a single one.

Hell, I crouch run a lot with out alerting them...

Top Bottom